Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2021 6:55 PM
Oct 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally, the last episode!

This is usually where everything gets clear, and one thing I definitely got clear is how the anime's title ''Attack on Tomorrow'' really goes with Mimi's situation in the end. Clever, if you ask me, because I never understood that from the beginning.

Well, talking about the game, it was nervewracking seing how Mimi's doubtness was affecting the whole team, and especially Asuka, when she was the one Mimi wanted to help the most. Fortunately, they talked out all their problems and then the rest is history! I already had the feeling that they were going to win, but I didn't think the V attack would be THAT effective! The other girl from Shijodori barely had a chance to show her speciality. Maybe it was because of the time limitations of the episode, or the budget, maybe both. But, in the end, Tachibana managed to stay on top and win at last!

We can definitely say that all ended well. They won the championship, now everyone at their high school respects them (still not sure about Shiraki tho xD), Ichijou got in the team she wanted (along with the Shijodori twins, so in that case it's a win win situation!!) and the biggest twist, Mimi got an invitation to join the national team!

So, I'm not going to be writing a whole review on this anime (I just don't feel ready for doing such thing), instead I'm going to make a brief comment regarding it:

Being someone who has waited 2 years to watch this anime subbed, it's rewarding to see that my hype wasn't in vain. I mean, was it perfect? Of course not. There was definitely better animation at that time, sometimes the plot feels rushed and maybe the ost isn't the most memorable one (although the opening and ending themes are great, Mitsuko Horie's voice is one of my favorites). Nonetheless, the voice acting is superb (for real, it's one of the anime's best part), there's a noticeable character development, which is great for a 23-long, probably low budget anime. And, the best part, it still managed to keep me enjoyed through all of it! Would I recommend it? If you like sports anime that isn't too long, and can endure older animation, then go for it because you're in for a treat!

Thank you to those who have been reading my opinions (and I'm terribly sorry for that as well xD) and replying to them, you're the best! See ya <3
Feb 10, 2021 10:47 PM
Dec 2015
Yes, that was a very intense final! They won! Great job girls!

They managed to reach the 5th set dealing with shadow and light and then with feints, despite Ichijou with her hand still hurting after all (lol @ the 4th set entirely skipped, guess it wasn't important at that point), the teamwork and all the training really helped here

Interesting quarrel between Mimi and Yukari, ironically at the very last episode, between the 2 original friends. Yukari gave in but Mimi was really childish there for a moment. The coach seemed especially pissed and he turned around, haha (quite bold to talk about her reasons and family situation though, he shouldn't have been sure of that). Thank god the team together was able to make Mimi recover, while Ichijou was still seen good and altruistic xD. Well it's not untrue but very convenient nonetheless xD. Like episode 21, Ichijou really showed that she has changed, good work!

Buwhahha, what was that special attack with the new girl? I guess I shouldn't be surprised after seeing the dragon, but was still very funny. Not that the V attack didn't look less absurd technically: how you can score from that position with that kind of jump? xD. They didn't exactly explain how it worked, just, Mimi intercepted the ball in air, that was the ultimate attack/defense xD. I guess the rest of the team was ready to intervene just in case

It was a very happy ending as not only they won and 2 girls became pro, Mimi sorted out her troubles for the future at the same time!

Though I have a complain about the celebration. Of course the team has been rewarded, but they didn't show much about the girls being happy about the victory, and most of all the coach; I think a final word was needed for the girls and the team that REALLY worked hard and serious in order to make victory happen. Can we give it for implied? Sure, but it's disappointing not having seen that...

Not much else to say I think for the episode, but I'll post later for the final thoughts of the series

^ The good Ichijou xD
Hanzo__HattoriFeb 11, 2021 10:30 PM
Feb 11, 2021 9:28 PM
Dec 2015
Overall, my thoughts and some notes about the series in general:

Nice series, though it could have been better, a shame it didn't have more episodes as I would say some things were rushed (not sure if tv share ratings affected which is a possibility), but I wouldn't have minded at all if it was longer, for example a few complains:

- There could have been space for more teams and special attacks, and in general even more focus on volleyball tactics
- The characterization of some of the girls in the team was weak. Yukari and a little bit Kimiko had a little characterization, but the other 2 girls (Tomiko and Sumie) were pretty much not different from background characters;
- Some things were left unexplained, like if the council member guy could became a doctor (but after all we know he will) or the fact that the coach STILL didn't tell Ichijou about the fire. He deemed it unnecessary, but...

But still I enjoyed it. Despite being it a relatively light series, imho it still had a mature tone. What I liked the most is that it had a certain style; I said above that there was maybe less focus on volleyball, but I liked how the story progressed (interesting start and in general never too boring) and how the characters/team grew over time. The characters felt pretty realistic and same for what it seemed like a life experience for them, how they dealt doubts and problems both outside and inside the matches

Also when playing the matches, it's true that Mimi had more focus in general, but it didn't felt that it was JUST her problem. It was the story of the WHOLE team, coach included. While other animes have more focus mostly on one character (especially older ones like this one)

Some characters were very interesting. Ichijou probably had the best character development. I really liked the coach, seemed very kind at first but very strict when needed, yet not infallible. Mimi was interesting as well, though compared to nowadays standards, some might say she looked most of the time like a classic kind heroine/perfect type. But she still had a certain charisma and perseverance, struggling to continue to play volleyball, her dream, at all costs and even alone. Commendable

There were also some cool twists, like Mitsuru, the girls suddenly not quitting, Ichijou's troubles and of course losing the first tournament!

About the graphics, I don't really mind; many anime of that period have reused stuff between episodes, and the drawings were pretty simple but never particularly ugly. The bgm were ok, nothing very special but they did the job without particular problems. Some of them fit the opening and ending tunes in an instrumental way, as usual.

In conclusion, it was nice and a pleasure to watch for sure! (thought might have been even better if longer)
Feb 11, 2021 10:29 PM
Dec 2015
MidnightSunset25 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally, the last episode!

This is usually where everything gets clear, and one thing I definitely got clear is how the anime's title ''Attack on Tomorrow'' really goes with Mimi's situation in the end. Clever, if you ask me, because I never understood that from the beginning.

Well, talking about the game, it was nervewracking seing how Mimi's doubtness was affecting the whole team, and especially Asuka, when she was the one Mimi wanted to help the most. Fortunately, they talked out all their problems and then the rest is history! I already had the feeling that they were going to win, but I didn't think the V attack would be THAT effective! The other girl from Shijodori barely had a chance to show her speciality. Maybe it was because of the time limitations of the episode, or the budget, maybe both. But, in the end, Tachibana managed to stay on top and win at last!

We can definitely say that all ended well. They won the championship, now everyone at their high school respects them (still not sure about Shiraki tho xD), Ichijou got in the team she wanted (along with the Shijodori twins, so in that case it's a win win situation!!) and the biggest twist, Mimi got an invitation to join the national team!

So, I'm not going to be writing a whole review on this anime (I just don't feel ready for doing such thing), instead I'm going to make a brief comment regarding it:

Being someone who has waited 2 years to watch this anime subbed, it's rewarding to see that my hype wasn't in vain. I mean, was it perfect? Of course not. There was definitely better animation at that time, sometimes the plot feels rushed and maybe the ost isn't the most memorable one (although the opening and ending themes are great, Mitsuko Horie's voice is one of my favorites). Nonetheless, the voice acting is superb (for real, it's one of the anime's best part), there's a noticeable character development, which is great for a 23-long, probably low budget anime. And, the best part, it still managed to keep me enjoyed through all of it! Would I recommend it? If you like sports anime that isn't too long, and can endure older animation, then go for it because you're in for a treat!

Thank you to those who have been reading my opinions (and I'm terribly sorry for that as well xD) and replying to them, you're the best! See ya <3

Yes the series was never boring :) , and the songs and voice actors were good indeed.

I didn't realize at first about "the tomorrow" thing" either.

For the Shijodori special attack, seeing as Tachibana didn't want to show the V attack too early to avoid discovering loopholes, it could have been the same for Shijodori. After all they won in the spring tournament for this reason, or our coach would have been able to figure out something in time probably. Though it didn't seem like the V attack was used to counter specifically "the shadow", while originally it seemed the case if I'm not wrong... but whatever.

Shiraki maybe has changed opinion, it gave me the impression that she could at least recognize when someone is good, it's just that she wanted the hall I guess.

Thanks I liked your posts, I commented partially because of that ;) (I was a bit wordy though "=) )

PS: My favourites were probably the coach and Kimiko, but I will miss Arashi-san the most xD
Hanzo__HattoriFeb 11, 2021 10:40 PM
Aug 13, 2022 7:34 AM

May 2017
Finished the series! Well it was definitely better than the first episode made it out to be. Still definitely ended up a victim of the legacy of its ancestors - specifically, Attack No. 1. At times it felt incredibly derivative, with most of the special techniques pulled directly from the aforementioned show (the very last special technique in the final episode of the girl somersaulting to hide who was hitting the ball on the enemy team was particularly blatant). The enemy team following the directions of a computer was ripped wholesale from Attack No. 1, as was the main team's coach having a former university volleyball teammate with a permanently disabled arm from playing volleyball showing up as a coach.

The supporting cast also felt very weak. The three first-year girls are pretty much identical in personality with a gimmick slapped on. One of them used to be a manager, which only ever gets brought up once outside of episode 1. One of them supposedly joins because they're interested in the haunting of the clubroom but this is never brought up again. The third one is a bit more differentiated by wanting to perform rakugo (this also comes up very sparingly) and generally being the comic relief. Honestly I could not tell you the difference in personality between the first two whatsoever.

To be a bit more positive, Asuka Ichijou was a great character and easily the best part of the show. Was an excellent foil to the rest of the volleyball club for the first half of the show and the episodes where she suffered from flashbacks to her past (10 and 11 iirc) were great. It was a bit of a shame that a switch pretty much flipped to her being best friends with the club instead of her development being more gradual, but it's not like she just entirely lost a personality, with her still jeopardizing the team near the end by acting in self-interest and injuring herself. The protagonist was fine, nothing to write home about but compelling enough. I really liked the coach, especially as a contrast to the coach from Attack No. 1. He was a lot more compassionate and wasn't constantly pelting the girls with hundreds of volleyballs or generally being an asshole to them, which was an unexpected change for the better.

The series just suffered from a huge amount of dropped plotlines and story elements with no satisfying resolution. What happens to the basketball club girl? Who knows, she just quietly stops being relevant to the story. What about the girl in the wheelchair who was their first supporter? Is never even mentioned again. Constant stuff like that makes it hard to really get behind the show. Oh well. it wasn't very long so I can't say I regret watching, I just wish it had been a lot more enjoyable.
May 18, 2023 7:18 PM

Oct 2016
Just finished this anime and it was really good not on same level as Attack No.1 but still pretty good.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ashita e Attack! Episode 4 Discussion

MidnightSunset25 - Apr 6, 2020

3 by CrysisWarXX3 »»
Apr 24, 2023 2:50 AM

Poll: » Ashita e Attack! Episode 1 Discussion

MidnightSunset25 - Mar 21, 2020

10 by CrysisWarXX3 »»
Apr 21, 2023 2:44 AM

Poll: » Ashita e Attack! Episode 22 Discussion

MidnightSunset25 - Feb 7, 2021

1 by Hanzo__Hattori »»
Feb 9, 2021 10:05 PM

Poll: » Ashita e Attack! Episode 21 Discussion

MidnightSunset25 - Feb 6, 2021

2 by Hanzo__Hattori »»
Feb 8, 2021 9:11 PM

Poll: » Ashita e Attack! Episode 20 Discussion

MidnightSunset25 - Nov 16, 2020

2 by Hanzo__Hattori »»
Feb 7, 2021 5:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.