Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 2, 2017 11:54 AM
Apr 2016
Funi couldn't license and dub this episode and release it with the movie? The dub movie was released in 2017. I would think it would make sense to do dub the episode with the movie.
Dec 25, 2017 6:44 PM

Jun 2016
DaMall said:
Funi couldn't license and dub this episode and release it with the movie? The dub movie was released in 2017. I would think it would make sense to do dub the episode with the movie.
Lets hope they manage to dub the rest of the series, I hate the japanese voice actors for Steins;gate.
Feb 10, 2018 1:42 AM

Nov 2015
Tenderizer17 said:
DaMall said:
Lets hope they manage to dub the rest of the series, I hate the japanese voice actors for Steins;gate.
But they're mad seiyuus, they're so cool, sonofabitch!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2018 2:06 AM

Jun 2016
AX3M said:
Tenderizer17 said:
I'm sure they'd sound nice to a Japanese audience, but to a western audience there's definitely something wrong with the way they sound (Even if some people are fine with it)
Feb 10, 2018 4:44 AM

Nov 2015
Tenderizer17 said:
AX3M said:
I'm sure they'd sound nice to a Japanese audience, but to a western audience there's definitely something wrong with the way they sound (Even if some people are fine with it)
Actually, the sub version is more popular than the dub which takes us back to my point. I bet the sub population is just around 20% of the whole Steins;Gate anime audience. Not to mention two of these VAs are just two of the most favorite seiyuus in the entire anime industry. Yes, I'm talking about Kana Hanazawa and Mamoru Miyano. Check the MAL's Industry -> People to see what I mean.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2018 5:56 AM

Jun 2016
AX3M said:
Actually, the sub version is more popular than the dub which takes us back to my point. I bet the sub population is just around 20% of the whole Steins;Gate anime audience. Not to mention two of these VAs are just two of the most favorite seiyuus in the entire anime industry. Yes, I'm talking about Kana Hanazawa and Mamoru Miyano. Check the MAL's Industry -> People to see what I mean.
I can't be stuffed arguing me case, so I'll just settle on saying I strongly prefer the english voice actors

Also, "20%". That's a severe understatement. Sub elitism is EXTREMELY common in the anime community. To prove this, of the audience for Black Clover (an anime with famously bad japanese voice acting), 85% are watching the sub. Imagine now, how an anime with voice acting widely (with the exception of me) considered good would fare.
Feb 10, 2018 8:37 PM

Nov 2015
Tenderizer17 said:
AX3M said:
I can't be stuffed arguing me case, so I'll just settle on saying I strongly prefer the english voice actors

Also, "20%". That's a severe understatement. Sub elitism is EXTREMELY common in the anime community. To prove this, of the audience for Black Clover (an anime with famously bad japanese voice acting), 85% are watching the sub. Imagine now, how an anime with voice acting widely (with the exception of me) considered good would fare.
Yes, you are cherry-picking. And another thing is dubs generally lose the essence of intended context of the original language. Take the otaku jokes in Steins;Gate and most of Okabe's chuunibyou nonsense and his nonsense babbling with other characters. Remember that this is just S;G we're talking about, what more if we talk about anime in general? Sub elitism is not argument, it's an excuse for defending dubs.
Feb 10, 2018 9:17 PM

Jun 2016
AX3M said:
And another thing is dubs generally lose the essence of intended context of the original language.
That doesn't matter, what matters is whether the show provided is about as good or better than the original. You're also forgetting that we lose a lot of the intended context anyway by not being japanese (Japanese puns we don't get, comedic timing interrupted by having the entire joke displayed all at once, cultural references we don't understand).
AX3M said:
Sub elitism is not argument, it's an excuse for defending dubs.
Perhaps I should have chosen a phrase with a different connotation. The point is, most people watch subs exclusively, and usually only give dubs a shot for a moment at a time (which is a REALLY poor way to judge them).
Feb 10, 2018 11:58 PM

Nov 2015
Tenderizer17 said:
AX3M said:
And another thing is dubs generally lose the essence of intended context of the original language.
That doesn't matter, what matters is whether the show provided is about as good or better than the original. You're also forgetting that we lose a lot of the intended context anyway by not being japanese (Japanese puns we don't get, comedic timing interrupted by having the entire joke displayed all at once, cultural references we don't understand).
AX3M said:
Sub elitism is not argument, it's an excuse for defending dubs.
Perhaps I should have chosen a phrase with a different connotation. The point is, most people watch subs exclusively, and usually only give dubs a shot for a moment at a time (which is a REALLY poor way to judge them).
Yes, and dubs make it much worse, they can never be better than subs. It always matters. As for the second one, you have a good point there, but it does not in any way make dubs any better than subs.
Feb 11, 2018 12:23 AM

Jun 2016
AX3M said:
Yes, and dubs make it much worse, they can never be better than subs. It always matters
Dubs re-appropriate the dialogue for a western audience (and I'm not talking about the famous One Piece "I baked you some cookies" variety of translation). Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't. Sometimes we can understand a Japanese cultural reference, and sometimes we can't. Saying dubs can never be better than subs is irrefutably incorrect. Saying most dubs aren't better than subs is somewhat acceptable. I personally think 68% of dubs are good enough to rival their subtitled counterparts. I couldn't give a number on how many are better than the subs though. In most cases where I've seen both the sub and dub of an anime, I really struggle to decide which is better (There are some exceptions, like with Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun where the dub is astronomically superior to the sub).

I'm not entirely sure whether I fully countered your point here, I kind of just went on a rant. Hope this is still compelling enough
AX3M said:
As for the second one, you have a good point there, but it does not in any way make dubs any better than subs.
You're right. It doesn't "make dubs any better than subs". The point I'm trying to make is that the hatred of dubs the sub-only community fosters, isn't fairly balanced and doesn't provide an accurate indication as to the general quality of dubs.
Feb 15, 2018 3:38 AM

Sep 2015
Probably something happened where they can't license it. If we're lucky, Steins;Gate 0 will be bundled with it when it gets released, or it'll be recapped in the show.
May 19, 2018 8:07 PM

Jan 2010
Tenderizer17 said:
DaMall said:
oh boy.
This is going to trigger some of the weeabos.
Apr 22, 2019 12:07 PM

Mar 2018
DaMall said:

Funimation licensed this episode with the release of Steins;Gate 0.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate: Kyoukaimenjou no Missing Link Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OneTrueEmiya - Dec 3, 2015

191 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Apr 18, 7:23 PM

» Should I watch 23β?

HumbertoZero - Jan 10, 2016

7 by Draconix814 »»
Apr 11, 2018 3:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.