Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 4, 2017 5:34 PM

Jun 2011
I hear some people didn't like this movie for certain reasons I don't get and I wanted to defend the movie and ask well, what's wrong with that?

The characters are too perfect

I never thought the characters were too nice, I liked how Jiro was a completely nice man who made some mistakes but wanted to owe up to them, I don't mind characters like that. Because it's good to owe up to mistakes but yes, everyone has their shadow sides. I don't see what's the problem with hanging out with a man like him. Yeah, he and Naoka could've had a few moments of negative behaviors that could've stood out, but I haven't seen it in 3 years so I don't remember if he has any negative traits from them.

Not enough Drama

The Wind Rises also has some funny and action moments in them, most funny and especially action movies don't have that much drama in them, say emotions or rudeness or whatever. It's still a sad movie with some conflict. Now, I don't know if the movie was accurate for its time period.

It's too innocent

Again, what is wrong with watching a sweet, happy, positive movie like this? What is wrong with watching a movie where the negative scenes don't last long? Such as Jiro helping some people who are being bullied? He seems like a pure peacemaker and it's different from most movies with bullying characters who get away with them.

I think that this movie was written well, it's not one of Miyazaki's best but it's still pretty good.
Angry_Anime_NerdJun 4, 2017 5:53 PM
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jul 7, 2017 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
There are people who think this movie is too innocent? I'd say, theme-wise, it is hardly innocent as it is about a creator with a passion for his creations that ultimately become a tool of war. It's a mature movie without needing to have tons of sex, violence and swearing, though I think because of that, the people who really love this movie may have more niche tastes than most anime fans.

As a creator myself, I personally related to Jirou a lot. I felt as if his ways of thinking and working with his creations was something I could understand much more than other creator characters in other anime and I really appreciated that.
Aug 25, 2017 5:57 AM
May 2015
This movie is "realistic" in "real meaning". When I'm reading rewiews i saw that sentence: "There are no bad guys".
In real life you can't see bad guys like in animes. We are all know that. Also Jiro reacts LİKE A MAN everything. Not like an anime girl. This is a problem of anime industry.
In short: a real fresh breath for a seinen fan. I dont recommend if you loved Tokyo Ghoul or Kuroko no Basket.
Oct 31, 2017 5:41 PM
Jun 2017
Kangchenjunga said:
There are people who think this movie is too innocent? I'd say, theme-wise, it is hardly innocent as it is about a creator with a passion for his creations that ultimately become a tool of war. It's a mature movie without needing to have tons of sex, violence and swearing, though I think because of that, the people who really love this movie may have more niche tastes than most anime fans.

As a creator myself, I personally related to Jirou a lot. I felt as if his ways of thinking and working with his creations was something I could understand much more than other creator characters in other anime and I really appreciated that.
Get you of here... Punny creator.
Oct 20, 2018 12:21 PM
Jan 2015
I loved this movie . It moved me as much as wolf children. There will always be people who dislike what you like. Let them be. It is a problem with popular piece of works , they receive review from very wide variety of people.

Many people are too shallow. All they want is big boobs , intense drama etc, which obviously was not the purpose of this movie. The way jiro hugged Nahoko is enough to explain the depth of characters which you could'nt find in other anime.
IsekaiNekkoOct 20, 2018 12:44 PM
Oct 21, 2018 6:21 AM
Jun 2016
Just watched the movie a few days ago...

Was a very nice and interesting movie...infact, I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.

The artwork/animation was so good...to the point that it looked very very realistic...but then again, this is a Miyazaki...accept nothing less!

As for the story, my peeves were

1.I think they should have focused on Nahoko a bit more.
2.Still on Nahoko, I don't think they focused more on her relationship with Jiro enough.
3. Nahoko's illness was used to make her look like the 'innocent ideal girl'...in my opinion, she was a one dimensional character who exists to support Jin. (Especially as an adult..child Nahoko looks more lively).
4.I think the Germans were portrayed in a way that made them look like punch clock villans...just sayin...
5.They skipped over WW2...now there is a good source of drama!

Otherwise...good film.
"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love, so if one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
Mar 13, 2021 1:55 PM

Sep 2020
9jaotaku said:
Just watched the movie a few days ago...

Was a very nice and interesting movie...infact, I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.

The artwork/animation was so good...to the point that it looked very very realistic...but then again, this is a Miyazaki...accept nothing less!

As for the story, my peeves were

1.I think they should have focused on Nahoko a bit more.
2.Still on Nahoko, I don't think they focused more on her relationship with Jiro enough.
3. Nahoko's illness was used to make her look like the 'innocent ideal girl'...in my opinion, she was a one dimensional character who exists to support Jin. (Especially as an adult..child Nahoko looks more lively).
4.I think the Germans were portrayed in a way that made them look like punch clock villans...just sayin...
5.They skipped over WW2...now there is a good source of drama!

Otherwise...good film.

I agree with you. The two biggest things out of what you pointed out that stood out to me the most were: 1) Nahoko's purpose in the movie, and 2) The portrayal of the Germans. I feel, just like you, the Nahoko had more personality when she was younger. They could've given her more quirks and more of a character, as opposed to someone used to influence Jiro. When I read your observation on the Germans, I laughed a little bit. It is true, but I didn't realize it at the time of watching it. It's comedic, they almost seemed like your classic villains. The classic German stereotype - aggressive, loud, cruel, is something that I find a lot in films. I've never experienced that in real life, but I think it's interesting that it is partially in this film.
*insert emotional quote or waifu boobs*
Dec 27, 2022 4:29 AM

Dec 2020
Angry_Anime_Nerd said:
I hear some people didn't like this movie for certain reasons I don't get and I wanted to defend the movie and ask well, what's wrong with that?

The characters are too perfect

I never thought the characters were too nice, I liked how Jiro was a completely nice man who made some mistakes but wanted to owe up to them, I don't mind characters like that. Because it's good to owe up to mistakes but yes, everyone has their shadow sides. I don't see what's the problem with hanging out with a man like him. Yeah, he and Naoka could've had a few moments of negative behaviors that could've stood out, but I haven't seen it in 3 years so I don't remember if he has any negative traits from them.

Not enough Drama

The Wind Rises also has some funny and action moments in them, most funny and especially action movies don't have that much drama in them, say emotions or rudeness or whatever. It's still a sad movie with some conflict. Now, I don't know if the movie was accurate for its time period.

It's too innocent

Again, what is wrong with watching a sweet, happy, positive movie like this? What is wrong with watching a movie where the negative scenes don't last long? Such as Jiro helping some people who are being bullied? He seems like a pure peacemaker and it's different from most movies with bullying characters who get away with them.

I think that this movie was written well, it's not one of Miyazaki's best but it's still pretty good.
most of the scenes felt awkward and tf is happening . How and why is this happening . Doesn't seem like it actually happens

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

Feb 20, 2023 10:52 PM

Apr 2016
I think that Ghibli is overated but out of their catalog, this is one of my favorites. To me, the biggest issue I recall was the lack of tension. The movie was over 2 hours long, but it felt like there wasn't any real tension until towards the end, when his wife was dying.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaze Tachinu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asore - Jul 21, 2013

181 by Abieru »»
Mar 11, 9:54 PM

» its the 10th year anniversary

mydaddy - Jul 20, 2023

2 by Izuella »»
Jul 20, 2023 4:02 PM

» Hideaki Anno is the best VA of all time.

2shizukasensei88 - Jun 7, 2020

2 by Nikiforova »»
Jun 7, 2020 5:53 AM

» What the fuck @ Hideaki Anno?

Yayoe - Dec 19, 2017

1 by BlackJoe23 »»
Apr 8, 2018 1:48 PM

» Omae wa mou shindeiru!

WhatToKnow - Sep 25, 2017

1 by misjebaka8D »»
Oct 18, 2017 9:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.