Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 27, 2008 9:45 AM

Feb 2008
After watching the first English dub 50 episodes and the movie, I got really used to hearing the voices of Greg Ayers (Goku), Braden Hunt (Hakkai), David Mantranga (Sanzo) and Illich Guardiola (Gojyo). When I started watching Reload and Gunlock I found there was something really off and realized the voices weren't the same at all.

Reload/Gunlock voices:
Sanzo - Lex Lang
Gojyo - Tony Oliver
Goku - Jimmy Benedict
Hakkai - Steve Cannon

I truly wouldn't have minded but the way they talked showed the difference. Sanzo's voice wasn't as deep and Gojyo didn't have that sexy accent. Hakkai sounded like he was forcing the words out, like when he said Hakuryoo, he would pronounce it Ha-ku-ree-you and his voice was way too soft. Goku didn't have the playfulness Greg Ayers brought to the character.

They even changed Kougaji, Lirin, Dokugakuji and Yaone's voices. In the first 50 episodes I really liked Lirin's voice, I think it was Hilary Haag. Her voice just seemed to fit Lirin's character. Now in Reload/Gunlock it's M.A. Lovestedt and I don't think it fits at all.

What do you all think of the different voice actors?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 1, 2008 10:27 AM

Aug 2007
Well...
First of all - I watch ONLY japanese dubbed anime. I've got 1st season of Saiyuki in mkv format, so I had choice: english or japanese dubbing. Out of pure curiosity I heard english voices just once. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but... I withstood just 5 minutes. Japanese voices are much more expressive. I get used to it ^^"
In japanese version only Lirin's voice has changed dramatically in Reload and Reload Gunlock. I prefer her voice in 1st season...
Apart of that, I love Saiyuki's seiyuu <3 ^^
My favourite - Akira Ishida (as Hakkai ^^) and Hirata Hiroaki (as Gojyo ^^)
Apr 3, 2008 3:15 PM

Mar 2008
I really don't like the english version's voices, they really didn't suit the character, and a agree with you that they sounded off. I especially hated Lirin and Goku's voices they were relly high and annoying! and i agree i prefer japanese voices so much more to english ones, the english ones just don't create the same effect.
May 17, 2008 5:53 PM

Apr 2008
the dubbed version of Saiyuki is actually pretty good I think...Their voices fit the characters very well...probably one of the best dubbed animes I have ever watched...
Jul 2, 2008 7:14 PM
Jun 2008
I've watched the series in Japanese and English. Although the Japanese seiyuus sound wonderful, I think Season 1 English dubs (ADV version) were much better too. I was quite disappointed when Geneon took over for Reload and Gunlock. I totally agree with the 1st post. I even preferred Doku and Nii's voice in the first season.
Sep 28, 2008 5:34 PM
Sep 2008
"Hakkai sounded like he was forcing the words out, like when he said Hakuryoo, he would pronounce it Ha-ku-ree-you and his voice was way too soft."

But ha-ku-ree-yoo is how it's supposed to be pronounced in Japanese ^^; I hated how they screwed up the pronunciation in Gensomaden. They said "hah-koo-roo", which sounds just... eww.

However, I do miss the old VAs, especially Greg and Illich for Goku and Gojyo (respectively)! I'm sorta hoping now that Geneon's US branch went under, that they'll be able to round up the old gang and continue dubbing any new Saiyuki shows like they used to. May be a little too much to hope for, but you never know...
Nov 10, 2008 1:19 PM
Jan 2008
I agree with the first post...I've watched all of the saiyuki episodes i can find in english and jap Gensomaden Saiyuki was great in english and Japanese but for Reload and Reload Gunlock it was only good in Japanese.
May 21, 2009 8:49 PM

Jan 2009
The English dub of the first Saiyuki series is one of the most entertaining things I've seen. All four of the main actors, plus Vic as Kougaiji, were spectacular in their roles. Having read Tokyopop's release of the manga, I can quite honestly say that the screenplay and adaptation for that dub completely captured the feel that Minekura intended. It's a cryin' shame that ADV didn't get the other licenses, because they'd gotten Saiyuki down to an art form.

Illich, David, Braden, and Greg, in my opinion, were perfect for those roles. The Japanese va's were amazing, too, don't get me wrong. I watched Reload and Gunlock in Japanese, since I couldn't bear to hear different English voices, and the shows were extremely enjoyable with the original actors. Toshihiko Seki is an very talented seiyuu and I adore all his work. He made a magnificent Sanzo. I could listen to his voice all day.

I still prefer the first dub. =P
Jun 30, 2009 10:45 PM
Jun 2009
I didn't like the voice changes at all!!!!!! I got really used to the way that they spoke. I just think that it was really stupid to change the voices. That's just what I think.
Oct 17, 2009 6:44 PM

Jun 2009
i like the seiyuus more and toshihiko seki kicks ass as sanzo
Dec 24, 2010 5:48 AM

Jul 2010
Abbyrose said:
the dubbed version of Saiyuki is actually pretty good I think...Their voices fit the characters very well...probably one of the best dubbed animes I have ever watched...

Can't agree more. I was so glad to see 4kid's didn't dub this, otherwise so much would have been censored.

"Life or death...it means nothing to me..."

Oct 29, 2012 6:08 AM

May 2010
I love the ADV dub of Saiyuki as well as the original Japanese dub of the series. I'm getting around to watching Reload and then Gunlock afterwards, but only in Japanese, I refuse to watch the Reload and Gunlock dub. Sentai Filmworks has licensed the Saiyuki Gaiden OVA and having David Matranga, Greg Ayres, Illich Guardiola, and Braden Hunt reprise their roles which makes me really happy. I hope Sentai picks up the Reload Burial OVA too and rescue license the Reload and Gunlock series and re-dub it with the original VA's.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saiyuki vs Inuyasha

leggomyeggroll - Nov 10, 2008

7 by kanon-chan »»
Oct 29, 2012 5:59 AM

Poll: » Favourite character

Silvera - Feb 12, 2008

32 by UnknownSample »»
Jan 23, 2011 9:07 AM

» Saiyuki Burial OVA

StudioKyoko - Nov 7, 2007

14 by Kannei »»
Oct 19, 2009 11:14 AM

» Favorite episode

DarkRavie - Mar 21, 2008

7 by Kannei »»
Oct 17, 2009 6:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.