Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 19, 2015 6:56 AM
Feb 2009
I have this feeling the name of the guild is a nod/easter egg/whathaveyou to something. But I can't put my finger on it yet. It sounds a bit German. Maybe a mix between German and English. Eins (someone's) own goal?

Any ideas?
Jul 27, 2015 5:25 PM

Jul 2015
I know what you mean. My best guess would be eins o' gone, one of the gone, or some such in reference to the members being undead or otherwise monstrous and driven out, but I think the name is meant to be cryptic, and the exact meaning meant to be lost to maintain a mysterious air to it and to make it feel decidedly fantasy for the players back when the guild had players. Still, I'd be interested to see if anything crops up on it. c;

Eins means one, though you're right that it can be an individual and used in the same way as someone.
Oct 1, 2015 8:21 PM
Oct 2015
I was searching for the meaning too. I discovered that Ooal means Precious Stone. Gown is some kind of very beautyfull dressing. Ainz is still to be searched for but I bet it´s only a normal name as Jhon would be. So Its something like as the beautyfull stone of Ains. As Gown is a dressing I imagine that a stone dress is a box. Wich then reminds me of Ainz saying that the stars in that new world are like jewels(precious stone) and that he wanted them for him. So for me it makes all sense and leads to this Eastergg. Of course I am forcing with the Gown meaning but I don´t know for me makes sense especially after I discovered Ooal means preicous stone. I don´t remember in wich language. Haitian something like that. or It could be a pun with All are Gone as some would bend the pronounce as éins óol gowne perhaps?

Edit. Found Ainz to mean "before" in some languages.
GilinkOct 1, 2015 8:24 PM
Oct 1, 2015 9:47 PM

Sep 2013
It might mean All Are Gone in English.

AINZ is also an anagram for NAZI

Found this meaning of Ainz :)
Sounds a lot like the Ainz we know.
http://www.whatstandfor.com/meaning-definition-of/ainz

-----

Putting the Japanese kanji for OOAL in google translate XD
I got WOOL :O
One of Ainz's summons is described having goat hoof.
http://overlordmaruyama.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Young
Also the biped sheep.
It should mainly refer to a mentality, like sheep will follow the leader regardless of his intentions, complete faith and loyalty.

Is ooal the opal stone?
A gem thought to be evil then was considered good and valuable?

This meaning also fits.
http://www.meaningname.net/goo-ooal/
-----
Gown is outer garment
It symbolizes faithfulness, purity, ranking etc... which fit with the nazarick npc's

Ainz = Nazi

Ooal = Wool

Gown= Gown

------
Taking everything into account, it's a group that has sworn loyalty to Ainz Ooal Gown no matter what, whether it's good or evil intentions the will follow it like sheep and Nazis.
The Supreme Beings also fit with the Nazi theme, since the Nazi's thought of themselves as a superior master race.
The ranking of he npc's also fall in line with the meaning of gown (ranking), as we see later on in vol 7 when everyone in Nazarick is lined up according to rank.
Very fitting and accurate considering what we have seen so far.

Oct 2, 2015 6:17 AM

Dec 2013
For this guy above me cause I can't be bothered to quote ^

Oh my god! That explains why pandora's actor spoke German when Momonga was telling him to stop saluting! :O
Oct 3, 2015 3:32 AM
Aug 2015
First time I read the guild name it sounded like "Aint All Gone" for me.
Apr 11, 2016 2:20 AM
May 2015
I think Ains Ooal Gown means My shining Everyhting
Apr 12, 2016 8:05 PM

Sep 2013
Yeah my guess was off.
It was revealed in the prologue novel.

Nine's Own Goal was the original clan name, but as they got big enough for guild they changed it, but still wanted to keep a remembrance to that name, so they came up with Ainz Ooal Gown.
Aug 25, 2016 11:19 PM
Aug 2016
Haha fools, the name is another way to say "Nine's Own Goal". Ainz Ooal Gown - Nine's Own Goal

Nine's Own Goal was the party name of Ainz, Touch Me and the other seven members that quit the Nazarick guild. Since a lot of players that chose to be the same race as Momonga (The original name of Ainz) were discriminated and hunted down by other parties, Ainz, Touch Me and later other members formed the party and future guild Nine's Own Goal, later turning it into Ainz Ooal Gown.
Oct 20, 2016 10:52 PM
Oct 2016
Don't think too much, I guess the word Ainz Ooal Gown is a simply letter re-position method from the word Nai z Own Goal (Nine's Own Goal).
Aug 26, 2019 6:44 PM
Apr 2016
"
Insomnium said:
I have this feeling the name of the guild is a nod/easter egg/whathaveyou to something. But I can't put my finger on it yet. It sounds a bit German. Maybe a mix between German and English. Eins (someone's) own goal?

Any ideas?
"

its the morphology of the original Guild name that is "Nine Own Goal" since the original guild members who created the NPC and the guild was 9 the name reffers to the goal of the nine original members of the guild.
Aug 26, 2019 6:46 PM
Apr 2016
"
WarIsEternal said:
Haha fools, the name is another way to say "Nine's Own Goal". Ainz Ooal Gown - Nine's Own Goal

Nine's Own Goal was the party name of Ainz, Touch Me and the other seven members that quit the Nazarick guild. Since a lot of players that chose to be the same race as Momonga (The original name of Ainz) were discriminated and hunted down by other parties, Ainz, Touch Me and later other members formed the party and future guild Nine's Own Goal, later turning it into Ainz Ooal Gown.
"

I spoted a true fan that read the novels hahahaha
May 24, 2020 4:12 AM
Jul 2019
Actually the original guild name is nine's own goal. Ainz Ooal Gown is just the Japanese way of speaking it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

434 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 2, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

332 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.