Forum Settings
Forums

how mangas / novels get an anime apadtion ???!

New
May 15, 2014 2:52 PM
Nov 2013
hi , i always had this question in my mind
i mean didn't you ask yourself too ? some unknown manga suddenly gets an amine adaption
while famous others don't get at all , others get an adaption near the end of the manga while others are going with the manga like one piece for example ,
are there any qualifications for the manga to get an adaption ?

also the ova-s and the second seasons , i donno am so confused !
May 15, 2014 3:05 PM

Oct 2013
If the manga is selling well, then yes, it will most likely get a adoption. A manga can get a anime adoption pretty easy these days.

What popular manga you know of that doesn't have a anime adoption?
May 15, 2014 3:12 PM

Jun 2010
I always thought that adaptions were mainly initiated by the respective publisher responsible for releasing the manga and the magazine where new chapters run in. Like when they want to push the sales figures for a specific manga or the magazine where it runs in (and further more even other titles running in the same magazine). So they choose a currently running promising title and approach a studio for the adaption.

But that is all guesses on my part. I too would be interested to know a little more on the inner workings. How the TV-stations fit into it? Have they any say on what gets animated? And I have seen a lot of titles where there seems to be a comittee formed for this specific project? What is up with that? Or have the studios a good pile of suggestions from the publishers and pick the one they are most eager to do? etc.

But I don't really expect someone here on MAL to know much about it either.
AsturaetusMay 15, 2014 3:17 PM
May 15, 2014 3:16 PM

Jun 2012
KazukoKun said:
hi , i always had this question in my mind
i mean didn't you ask yourself too ? some unknown manga suddenly gets an amine adaption
while famous others don't get at all , others get an adaption near the end of the manga while others are going with the manga like one piece for example ,
are there any qualifications for the manga to get an adaption ?
You're looking at popularity the long way, popular in the west =/= popular in Japan.

Manga that are popular in Japan typically do get adapted in order to boost their annual Manga sales.

There are exceptions in some of the really long runners (Kochikame, Golgo, Dokaben, and Cooking Papa for example) that sell really well but aren't further adapted because they wont really raise the series' awareness as everyone already knows about them; an adaptation would do nothing for sales, probably get high in tv ratings though.
May 15, 2014 3:34 PM
Nov 2013
i think it depends on sales as you said but there were a novel-to-anime adaption not so long and only 2 volumes are released ?!
there is Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria or psycome , both are very famous and didn't get an adaption whitch i think it's somthing stupid , their stories are better than the most adaptions these days .

i wish that the animation studios make something like a suggesting box or a poll so we
can suggest some good manga or novels , i don't know i just don't understand how these studios work :/
May 15, 2014 3:45 PM

Oct 2013
KazukoKun said:
i think it depends on sales as you said but there were a novel-to-anime adaption not so long and only 2 volumes are released ?!
there is Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria or psycome , both are very famous and didn't get an adaption whitch i think it's somthing stupid , their stories are better than the most adaptions these days .

i wish that the animation studios make something like a suggesting box or a poll so we
can suggest some good manga or novels , i don't know i just don't understand how these studios work :/

True. Like Eden no Ori and blood money. I guess not every manga/light novels will get a anime adoption. :(
May 15, 2014 11:27 PM

Dec 2011
KazukoKun said:

What makes you think those series are popular? Sure, Psycome won a fairly minor award. But how many people do you think actually pay attention to who wins an award set by a publishing company that is only for its own works? Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria doesn't even have that. Neither series has ever appeared on the sales rankings, and the latest Psycome volume wasn't even close.

And what makes you think the anime studios decide what gets animated?

In most cases with adaptations its a case of what the publisher of the original source material wants to push. The higher the sales the more likely this is to happen. But there are cases of stuff that doesn't sell well still getting adaptations.
kuuderes_shadowMay 15, 2014 11:41 PM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 15, 2014 11:32 PM

Nov 2013
The amount of overused tropes or lolis is how most manga get adaptations.
May 16, 2014 2:46 AM

Jan 2014
I'm a dreamer, so I'd like to think it's all about passion and that the animation studios pick a manga/ln because they liked it and are fond of it.

But I know, it's all about business...
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
May 16, 2014 3:57 AM
Nov 2013
LAOG said:

lol , so true they are increasing in every season xD
May 16, 2014 10:45 AM

May 2013
How many good manga don't get anime adaptations or fully adapted and yet there are many suck anime will always be a mystery to me. Black Cat, EyeShield, Rurouni Kenshin, RAVE, Medaka Box, Beelzebub, Reborn!, TWGOK and many more are not fully adapted while suck anime with long and weird title that no one can remember and most likely have very low TV rating and low DVD/BD sales exists.

I bet even those titles I mentioned don't get high TV rating like One Piece or sell well like SAO, they will still get higher rating and outsells those uncountable amount of suck anime that no one even bother watching.
May 16, 2014 7:34 PM

Sep 2013
By how much the manga or novels are selling, a second season also depends if the adaption is selling.

LAOG said:

this too
May 17, 2014 10:33 AM

Oct 2011
I think it really depends on how well the manga is doing in Japan. That's where most of the product is coming out. Some adaptations are weird though and I think are made because the US finds a manga series popular.

The only example of this I can think of is Trigun. The series was released both in the US and Japan, but the series was vastly more popular in the US than in Japan. This is why the producers made Badland Rumble (the movie), because the US loves/ed the series. (I practically died from excitement when I saw the movie released)

It's also kind of weird because if a manga doesn't get an anime adaptation, it can still get a live action adaptation. Some examples:
-Rookies
-Otomen
-Kyou Kara Ore Wa! (although this was made into an OVA)
-Battle Royale

I've actually been disappointed that Otomen and Rookies didn't get an anime, but it surprised the hell out of me when I saw they had a like action adaptation.

More topics from this board

» Your top 10 unknown/not-well known manga

Kumoiro_Shizuki - May 16

42 by Kumoiro_Shizuki »»
2 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

173 by BrainpanSonata »»
3 hours ago

» Thoughts on long manga?

Chuckiemuffin - Feb 29

37 by phantomic109 »»
4 hours ago

» Please help - mermaid manga/webcomic

KateFenixManga - 6 hours ago

0 by KateFenixManga »»
6 hours ago

» Completed my first LN.

Clannat - May 26

7 by Rhae »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.