Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is this price drop enough to make you buy a Xbox One ove PS4?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 14, 2014 3:14 AM

Mar 2014
Wait a second, Half-Life innovated?!

When did it even innovate anything in that matter. Its an FPS game just like Doom just like CoD just like MoH with aliens just like FEAR. You get ammo from the ground, you have health spots, you shoot things until you got to that final boss. Half-Life 2 is nearly the same as well. Saying that it innovated is untrue.

And for those who expect sports games to improve drastically every year... Why do you not expect Valve to put an end in creating repetitive FPS games using the same engine? Hell, I could play any Valve game without knowing the title and I could tell if its a Valve game or not, because all of them feels the same. Most of Valve's games minus Portal and TF2 feel like reskins of the former games with few additions to them, yet people don't complain. However, if its CoD or whatever else doing the same, people complain. Hypocrites.

Plus why would the hardware matter for the consoles, guys? You're not playing on a PC. You're playing on a console that companies made for you, and that devs will develop for specifically. Your favorite dev won't give a damn to your old HP computer gathering dust with its old Pentium processor, but they would very well give a damn to your XBox One or PlayStation 4 and develop their games to fully use the hardware of both, because the devs know which hardware is inside it. Devs don't know exactly which PC specs you have, so the devs will develop for a common set and ignore all else, leaving you with games optimized for some hardware and unoptimized to others. But with the One having a set of specs that don't change, the developers are going to ooze every bit of performance be it on visuals or smooth 1080p gameplay.

So stop throwing out that the PS4 has better hardware than the XBOne as a reason not to buy the latter. Complain about other things instead, but the spec sheet of the consoles... Ugh, remember that developers will develop for these set, unchanging spec sheets until the next generation of consoles see us.
May 14, 2014 3:20 AM

Nov 2012
Heredity said:
well, to be fair a lot of steam users don't even have pcs that run better than the eighth console generation. so...

To be fair, his exact words were "a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market."
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 14, 2014 3:25 AM

Apr 2012
MiniSiets said:
Heredity said:
well, to be fair a lot of steam users don't even have pcs that run better than the eighth console generation. so...

To be fair, his exact words were "a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market."
MiniSiets said:
Heredity said:

Simply following the link it gave for where to find the original claim shows what CNET said to be blown out of proportions.

They said-
Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have adopted electronics and an integrated systems-on-a -chip (soc) architecture that unleashes magnitudes more compute and graphics power than the current generation of consoles. These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware, the underlying operating system and the live service layer create one of the most compelling platforms to re-imagine game mechanics.

So, they never said that the consoles themselves were more advanced. I think people like Boom read more CNET-like articles than those directly from the source.
HieiTrafalgarLaw said:
Anime is the reason why I live.
This is what every first comment should be like.
May 14, 2014 3:49 AM

Nov 2012
That's still an unfounded claim even with the extra context. Their architecture isn't particularly more advanced than Intel's latest Haswell designs, as they've been addressing the issue of unifying CPU and GPU memory too, and the chips in the XB1 and PS4 still perform quite a bit lower than AMD's FX line, which is already a significant step below Intel's latest Core i7s on top of that. A GTX Titan outputs 4.5 TFLOPS versus 1.8 in the highest end next-gen console. So in what way is any part of the XB1/PS4's architecture that he mentioned superior to top end PCs?
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 14, 2014 3:54 AM
Nov 2008
MiniSiets said:
That's still an unfounded claim even with the extra context. Their architecture isn't particularly more advanced than Intel's latest Haswell designs, as they've been addressing the issue of unifying CPU and GPU memory too, and the chips in the XB1 and PS4 still perform quite a bit lower than AMD's FX line, which is already a significant step below Intel's latest Core i7s on top of that. A GTX Titan outputs 4.5 TFLOPS versus 1.8 in the highest end next-gen console. So in what way is any part of the XB1/PS4's architecture that he mentioned superior to top end PCs?
wait a second - the comments were made a year ago.

lol.
May 14, 2014 3:55 AM

Feb 2010
Boombawks said:

It wasn't lumped together by the media, it was released as the FIRST next gen console, that is how it was 1st introduced by Nintendo and having it released much earlier to get a 'head start' in the race.

The video I linked wasn't really dated (3 weeks ago) and it is pretty much accurate, go look up the statistics yourself. The latest update for this month should be posted after the 20th. Last month the statistics where just getting larger and larger, the gap between WiiU and other consoles, even one's from the past. Reliable source lol Nintendo World Report is not reliable? OKAY then what would you recommend? Pick which site or source or a YouTube channel that give a reliable source because I will tell ya right now.....They will all give you the same info shared in that same video.

There is no way in hell that 1 month from now, 6 months from now or even a year that the sales will improve for the WiiU the percentage will decrease everytime. Sales mean what the consumer is buying, it's plain as day light what majority avoids. WiiU just can't make the cut.

Lol Pikman 3....soon to be Pikman 4 and Pikman 5 and Pikman 6. Good example.

Like others here, Wii U being called next gen simply because they are along with PS4/Xbox One in the 8th generation of console. Personally, it's a pointless semantics to debate otherwise regardless what you think 'next-gen' should imply.

When I said the video you post is dated, I meant it's a late information. The video is about an article on Nintendo from Nintendo World Report. The exact date being April 22, 2014, 12:33 pm PDT. March NPD Report came out at Thursday, April 17th @ 4 p.m. EDT. This is the exact thread on Neogaf, you can seek for Aquamarine's post on Nintendo hardware performance since she is a holder of Nintendo stock, keep a good record of their previous generation hardware sales, does aligned comparison on chart and have access to NPD. Yes, they might all give the 'same' informations but its often reiterate informations at a much later date. That's what I meant by first hand. In fact, if you're really that interested to join in the sales-age discussion, May NPD will come in around 36 hours.

I don't understand why you diss Pikman and assume I would actually care about Pikman 4, 5, 6. The last Pikman came out in 2004 and I have never play a Pikman game before. Of course, it's a good example. Don't be too quick to jump to conclusion next time.
May 14, 2014 4:07 AM

Nov 2012
Heredity said:
MiniSiets said:

lol.

And...? The Haswell architecture as well as AMD's FX chips were both already available before the PS4 and XB1 launched.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 14, 2014 4:31 AM
Nov 2008
MiniSiets said:
Heredity said:
MiniSiets said:

lol.

And...? The Haswell architecture as well as AMD's FX chips were both already available before the PS4 and XB1 launched.
'right now' as of the end of May 2013. the key word is 'now.'

i'd also argue that he was probably talking about pre-builts.
May 14, 2014 5:58 AM

Jan 2011
And play what exactly? Consoles have to stop the stupid fucking backward incompatibility shit if they want to stay competitive.
May 14, 2014 7:36 AM

Mar 2014
JonyJC said:
And play what exactly? Consoles have to stop the stupid fucking backward incompatibility shit if they want to stay competitive.

There are few consoles which come packed with backwards compatibility, as far as I could tell...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Backward-compatible_video_game_consoles

These lists mention one SEGA platform, too many Nintendo handhelds and the Wii line. No, the SNES didn't need backwards compatibility with the NES in order to be a formidable rival to the Sega Genesis, and neither the Genesis needed backwards compatibility with the Master System. Backwards compatibility was at its best in the PS2 generation I guess. That's two generations ago. So I doubt "backwards incompatibility" is a reason they aren't competitive.
May 14, 2014 9:01 AM
May 2009
I've played on the Xbox one, Graphics for Titan fall was so so, and the gameplay was so so as well.

Lack of games for both means there is no real incentive for either.

But since I have a PS4 controller I got for free, I am naturally leaning to what will cost me less.
May 14, 2014 9:06 AM

Mar 2012
Tsun_Pooka said:
JonyJC said:

There are few consoles which come packed with backwards compatibility, as far as I could tell...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Backward-compatible_video_game_consoles

These lists mention one SEGA platform, too many Nintendo handhelds and the Wii line. No, the SNES didn't need backwards compatibility with the NES in order to be a formidable rival to the Sega Genesis, and neither the Genesis needed backwards compatibility with the Master System. Backwards compatibility was at its best in the PS2 generation I guess. That's two generations ago. So I doubt "backwards incompatibility" is a reason they aren't competitive.

Agreed. The SNES didn't have High Definition graphics, online capabilities, etc. either, thus they are not features that a console nowadays needs to be competitive. Because the market doesn't change/evolve, unlike the products offered.
May 14, 2014 9:17 AM

Nov 2011
bash107 said:
i think it's a good move but i'm buying the PS4

Yup.

MiniSiets said:
I'm never buying an Xbox One simply on principle after what Microsoft tried to pull with DRM, and they still insist that it was a marketing problem rather than a fundamentally stupid idea.

And this is the reason.

Microsoft has been making a lot of bad decisions lately, and so I fear for the future of the Xbox One with Xbox LIVE updates and so forth.
May 14, 2014 10:00 AM

May 2013
I'm kind of on the fence about this, the underscore in the gamertag really urks me haha :-)
May 14, 2014 3:12 PM

Mar 2013
LOL http://www.cinemablend.com/games/check-out-sony-snarky-response-xbox-one-price-cut-64062.html

"The reason people buy these consoles is to play games," Xbox Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf Mehdi said in an interview with Forbes today.

If that's the reason people buy these consoles, then why are you trying to make the xbox into an all-in-one media platform?

Anyway, nothing's changed for me. I'll still be getting the PS4 when I get the money for it. I'll miss playing Halo, but Bungie isn't working on it anymore so who cares about that franchise anymore.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
May 14, 2014 3:28 PM

Nov 2012
Heredity said:
MiniSiets said:

And as I already pointed out, the XB1 and PS4 use AMD architectures with chips that perform below the FX series which was already available at that time. It doesn't matter any way you want to spin this; given that the chips in these systems weren't even top of the line when they were announced, you can't claim that they're better than top of the line, and I would be hard-pressed to believe that you couldn't find even a pre-built back in May that would outperform a PS4. You don't even need a fancy custom GTX Titan build to beat it. That's just if you want to go overkill; a single GTX 680 (which was released in March 2012) would easily suffice. Assassin's Creed IV benchmarks on ultra settings put the GTX 680 at 43 FPS average. Both the PS4 and XB1 versions are capped at 30 FPS.

I don't know why we're suddenly trying so hard to give EA's CTO the benefit of the doubt here. I thought it was a pretty obvious BS marketing statement, hence the sarcasm in my original post.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 14, 2014 3:47 PM
Jan 2014
MiniSiets said:
Heredity said:

Don't worry guys. The Xbox One still has it's second super secret gpu. They're just waiting for the right time to update the system and turn it on.
PrinterMay 14, 2014 3:55 PM
May 14, 2014 4:25 PM

Mar 2014
DerpHole said:

If that's the reason people buy these consoles, then why are you trying to make the xbox into an all-in-one media platform?

No matter whether the XBox one is an all in one or not, it didn't deviate much from what every console did (except Ninten's?) since the PS1. The PS1 had the ability to play audio CDs as a player. Dunno if it played video CDs as well. The PS2 is a different story. It also played audio CDs as well as DVDs. Heck, it even has a remote for these functions if a wired controller wasn't something pleasant. The PS3 downloads anime, if I remember from some guy who said he was downloading Higurashi to it.

Consoles were already all in one boxes long before the XBox One showed up on scene. Microsoft just gave these features a bit more advertising and attention. But did you see the PlayStation line? They didn't deviate from gaming even though they were all in ones. So you should stop thinking that XBox One's all in one nature is negative. Its been there in older consoles, just least exposed.
May 14, 2014 5:41 PM

Apr 2012
MiniSiets said:
Heredity said:
MiniSiets said:

And as I already pointed out, the XB1 and PS4 use AMD architectures with chips that perform below the FX series which was already available at that time. It doesn't matter any way you want to spin this; given that the chips in these systems weren't even top of the line when they were announced, you can't claim that they're better than top of the line, and I would be hard-pressed to believe that you couldn't find even a pre-built back in May that would outperform a PS4. You don't even need a fancy custom GTX Titan build to beat it. That's just if you want to go overkill; a single GTX 680 (which was released in March 2012) would easily suffice. Assassin's Creed IV benchmarks on ultra settings put the GTX 680 at 43 FPS average. Both the PS4 and XB1 versions are capped at 30 FPS.

I don't know why we're suddenly trying so hard to give EA's CTO the benefit of the doubt here. I thought it was a pretty obvious BS marketing statement, hence the sarcasm in my original post.
I honestly think you are confusing specs with architecture. The way they are set up are miles ahead of top end PCs right now. They are saying that the way they have the internals setup will provide much more power for gaming than the same hardware setup like what we see in your average desktop or laptop.
HieiTrafalgarLaw said:
May 14, 2014 6:39 PM
Nov 2008
MiniSiets said:
Heredity said:
MiniSiets said:

you're aware that one hard component alone does not make the whole of a pc?

he did, after all, specify the 'best pc you can buy." i'd say the 'bs marketing' was only that that can be interpreted in many ways - you're valuing it by individual hardware components, whilst i'm valuing it by entire systems that are already set-up and sold as-is.

anyway, you can't find pre-builts that could be considered 'top of the line.' we're also long past may of last year to be able to give a proper assessment on whether a pre-built more powerful than the ps4 could indeed be built at the time the interview was done.
May 14, 2014 6:53 PM

Nov 2012
ClannadQs said:
MiniSiets said:
Heredity said:
MiniSiets said:

I honestly think you are confusing specs with architecture. The way they are set up are miles ahead of top end PCs right now. They are saying that the way they have the internals setup will provide much more power for gaming than the same hardware setup like what we see in your average desktop or laptop.

The context doesn't seem to imply he was strictly talking about architecture when his claim comes right off of talking about raw performance. If he was only talking about architecture then why make a specific reference to high-end PCs? There's no fundamental difference in architecture between a GTX 660 and a GTX 680 for example; it's just one card is built for more mid-level performance with less stream processors and lower clock speeds while the the latter is more high-end, so to make that specific distinction implies that he's talking about raw performance too. If that wasn't what he meant then his statement is at the very least misleading because his framing makes it sound like the new architecture makes enough of a performance difference that it could actually compete with a top end PC, but the reality is architecture efficiency will only get you so far if the specs are still constricted at the end of the day. And I already pointed out to begin with that Intel's been doing similar streamlining of their architecture using the exact SoC approach that he's talking about. They've been doing it since at least the Sandy Bridge line of CPUs; Haswell has only been further refining it.
OmegaSietsMay 14, 2014 7:11 PM
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 14, 2014 7:09 PM

Dec 2013
Basically I got two reasons why I'm picking the PS4 over Xbox one.

1. Screw Microsoft with its "You have to connect to the internet to play a game"
2. No Japanese games for the Xbox

I don't care how much they drop their price, even if they made it free, I'd choose the PS4 over the Xbox anytime.
May 14, 2014 7:40 PM

Apr 2012
MiniSiets said:
I think you're missing what they are saying. Also, the original article looks more like this:
It all begins with the raw horsepower of the platform which catalyzes the imagination and will power the next wave of innovation in entertainment. Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have adopted electronics and an integrated systems-on-a -chip (soc) architecture that unleashes magnitudes more compute and graphics power than the current generation of consoles. These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware, the underlying operating system and the live service layer create one of the most compelling platforms to reimagine game mechanics. Our benchmarks on just the video and audio performance are 8-10 times superior to the current gen.
I believe I already posted that, but I will do it again. He wasn't referring to the hardware (GPU, CPU, memory, etc) when claiming the architecture is ahead of current PCs. I believe he was claiming that the way they have everything interacting is ahead of current PCs. I might be wrong, but I still will stick by him not claiming that the current generation of consoles would beat top end PCs when it's quite transparent that he never said that.
HieiTrafalgarLaw said:
May 14, 2014 7:45 PM

Mar 2014
The irony of OP saying no console wars expecting there not to be one.
May 14, 2014 7:50 PM

Apr 2012
mclovinballz said:
It's just PC elitist being assholes once again. It's entirely uncalled for and most of the time there is blatant ignorance from their side. Hell, I don't even have a single console plugged up right now and I do all of my gaming on an 1800 dollar rig. Most everyone that makes fun of consoles scrape by with a rig less than 900 dollars and run their mouth as if they are superior.
ClannadQsMay 15, 2014 3:47 PM
HieiTrafalgarLaw said:
May 14, 2014 8:01 PM

Nov 2012
ClannadQs said:
I think you're missing what they are saying.

No I am not. I understand your point that you think he's not talking about raw performance of hardware but rather improvements to the efficiency of the architecture. But I'm saying that doesn't make sense given the context of his statements for reasons which I am not going to explain again.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 14, 2014 8:08 PM

Apr 2012
MiniSiets said:
ClannadQs said:

No I am not. I understand your point that you think he's not talking about raw performance of hardware but rather improvements to the efficiency of the architecture. But I'm saying that doesn't make sense given the context of his statements for reasons which I am not going to explain again.
You never really explained how he was wrong. You simply pointed out that what he said was technically correct, but not necessary (referring to your GPU comparison). I think you're still relying too heavily on the original article you linked and not what he actually said. CNET blatantly twisted his words to make it more interesting. He never claimed that the Xbox One or PS4 would be more powerful than high end PCs, he simply stated that the way they are set up is a more powerful setup for gaming. He's essentially saying that if you put a Titan in the configuration they have in the Xbox One it will outperform a Titan in your average PC. I might have missed something, but I don't see anything wrong with his statements.
HieiTrafalgarLaw said:
May 14, 2014 8:23 PM

Nov 2012
ClannadQs said:
MiniSiets said:
ClannadQs said:

You never really explained how he was wrong. You simply pointed out that what he said was technically correct, but not necessary (referring to your GPU comparison). I think you're still relying too heavily on the original article you linked and not what he actually said. CNET blatantly twisted his words to make it more interesting. He never claimed that the Xbox One or PS4 would be more powerful than high end PCs, he simply stated that the way they are set up is a more powerful setup for gaming. He's essentially saying that if you put a Titan in the configuration they have in the Xbox One it will outperform a Titan in your average PC. I might have missed something, but I don't see anything wrong with his statements.

OK, if you understand that there is no fundamental difference in architecture between a low end GPU and a high end GPU of the same series, then you tell me: why would he specifically mention high-end PCs and not just "current" PCs if he only meant to talk about architecture efficiency? Mind you, this is all still ignoring the fact that Intel already has been integrating SoC designs into their CPUs even if we concede that this isn't about raw compute power.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 14, 2014 8:37 PM

Apr 2012
MiniSiets said:
Because both are correct and one sounds better. Also, it's decently rare to find an SoC in gaming rigs. They are primarily found in phones.
HieiTrafalgarLaw said:
May 14, 2014 8:39 PM

Jul 2013
Surprisingly not interested in this gens systems. I've been wanting to build a PC for awhile now so I'm saving my money which means no Xbox One for me, even with a price drop. I would buy a PS4 first anyways as I prefer the lineup of games and if Project Beast is a PS exclusive I will bite. Huge Souls fan. I consider my PS the Souls box, similar to how I consider my Nintendo consoles the Zelda box :p
May 14, 2014 10:33 PM
Jul 2009
Gogetters said:
No, the games I usually want to play are from Sony, Nintendo, or on the computer.

The same goes for me.

No music, no life. Know music, know life. Thomas Carlyle
May 14, 2014 11:08 PM
Jul 2013
As a PS4 owner, no ty Xbone.
May 14, 2014 11:11 PM

Apr 2014
Lime_ said:
TobiOrNotTobi said:
Riptos said:
I think I'll stick to my PC.

It's better in every regard anyway.

It's only bad when it doesn't work and you loose all your progress.

So it's never bad?

It's even worse when the game is lost. I miss playing age of empires ll: the age of kings.
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
May 15, 2014 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
ClannadQs said:
mclovinballz said:
It's just PC elitist being assholes once again. It's entirely uncalled for and most of the time there is blatant ignorance from their side. Hell, I don't even have a single consoled plugged up right now and I do all of my gaming on an 1800 dollar rig. Most everyone that makes fun of consoles scrape by with a rig less than 900 dollars and run their mouth as if they are superior.

You fine sir are a hero!

I bought my X1 at launch and don't mind. Would of bought a kinect anyway even if I don't use it. I think it was smart to finally release it without it. Can always sell it now anyway.

All that matters is preparing for Titanfall.
May 16, 2014 6:47 AM
Dec 2012
i am happy for this, i might actually get an Xbox one, but mostly for killer instinct cause i have been a fan since the Nintendo 64 release, which resulted in me downloading emulators of older versions
but will most likely get a wii u for smash bros
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3746 by Rndmguypassingby »»
3 hours ago

» What are your favorite anime games and list down their pros and cons

DafuqBOOM - Mar 7

5 by CharlesMarlow »»
3 hours ago

» game for mobile

anhd389 - Dec 26, 2023

13 by CharlesMarlow »»
3 hours ago

» Do you play games in which you have to actually work to make it playable?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

3 by Vampire_Lord »»
7 hours ago

» What gives you instant motivation to plat/100% a game

Joesaka - Jun 8

16 by Vampire_Lord »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.