Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 24, 2014 7:27 PM
Jul 2012
Son of Batman's that new DC animation that just came out.

I thought any animation done by Japanese people are considered anime. If you look at the Son of Batman credits, the majority of the key animators are Japanese. The art seems like the typical DC Showcase cartoon art but with a touch of anime.

Plus, this "anime" is considerably gory for kids (look at the slaughter in the starting fight scene), and IMDB rates it PG-13?! Wut?
Apr 24, 2014 7:31 PM

Mar 2014
It's not? Then it's going to suck hard.
Apr 24, 2014 7:33 PM

Jan 2013
stanklem28 said:

I thought any animation done by Japanese people are considered anime. If you look at the Son of Batman credits, the majority of the key animators are Japanese. The art seems like the typical DC Showcase cartoon art but with a touch of anime.

Plus, this "anime" is considerably gory for kids (look at the slaughter in the starting fight scene), and IMDB rates it PG-13?! Wut?

What is and isn't anime?

Does something have to be on MAL to be anime?
Apr 24, 2014 7:35 PM

Dec 2013
Oh great...
Apr 24, 2014 7:37 PM

Jun 2012
Has it been rejected from our database or just not added?

If the ladder, you may want to submit an entry for it yourself.

Feb 2014
In a sense it is animation therefore it is anime.

Regardless I quite enjoyed it. The kid was pretty OP but it is the son of batman afterall.

Aug 2013
No it is a DC direct to DVD animated movie. The only DC direct to DVD animated movie that is considered anime on this site is Batman: Gotham Knight because the story was done by Japanese not Americans.

DrGeroCreation said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Has it been rejected from our database or just not added?

If the ladder, you may want to submit an entry for it yourself.
It would not be approved because the story wasn't written by Japanese writers and it is not for a Japanese audience.
Apr 24, 2014 7:52 PM

Jan 2013
Its Avatar all over again
Apr 24, 2014 8:02 PM
Jan 2013
SolviteSekai said:

Obviously.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2014 8:44 PM

Aug 2009
stanklem28 said:

Anime are Japanese cartoons made primarily for a Japanese audience. Animation work outsourced to Japan or animation made by Japanese people in American does not count as anime.If it did then the Simpsons and other cartoons with outsource animation work would be considered Korean,Japanese or what ever country that animation is outsourced.

If you go by the Japanese definition for anime then any cartoon is a anime.But to anyone outside of Japan anime refers to Japanese cartoons made primarily for a Japanese audience. Mal unfortunately considers any cartoon made in Asia to be anime.
Apr 24, 2014 9:06 PM

Mar 2014
Just watched it online. Short but sweet. Seemed more like a cartoon to me though.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Apr 24, 2014 9:10 PM

Mar 2014
I wonder how many versions of the "What is and isn't anime" does this bring us up to.
But that's just one opinion.
Apr 24, 2014 9:20 PM

Nov 2012
But your argument is like saying Iron Man 3 is a Chinese movie because it was Chinese funded and had Chinese actors. I'm guessing Son of the Batman was made in America with Japanese staff working on it; that generally doesn't constitute an anime under most definitions. Not going to go into the anime definition argument though.
Apr 25, 2014 3:41 AM
Jul 2012
Them Japanese people sure know how to draw good art. Too bad they're weird as shit with no sense of story-telling. Good thing a non-Japanese wrote the story for Son of Batman.
Apr 25, 2014 4:19 AM
May 2009
I think animated by japanese people. And animated by Japan are two different things.
Apr 25, 2014 7:38 AM

Nov 2011
ezikialrage said:
stanklem28 said:

Anime are Japanese cartoons made primarily for a Japanese audience. Animation work outsourced to Japan or animation made by Japanese people in American does not count as anime.If it did then the Simpsons and other cartoons with outsource animation work would be considered Korean,Japanese or what ever country that animation is outsourced.

If you go by the Japanese definition for anime then any cartoon is a anime.But to anyone outside of Japan anime refers to Japanese cartoons made primarily for a Japanese audience. Mal unfortunately considers any cartoon made in Asia to be anime.

Well, that explains the odd Chinese or Korean anime I pass by.
Apr 25, 2014 7:48 AM

Feb 2014
Apr 25, 2014 8:11 AM

Jul 2009
It's an anime. MAL is not the end-all-be-all of what is-or-isn't anime.
Apr 25, 2014 8:49 AM

Feb 2013
MAL does not offer a formal definition of what an 'anime' is, but there are several guidelines of what makes an animated work approved in the MAL database
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101

While Son of Batman might be considered to be an anime, by the virtue of being animated in japan, it appears to me that it doesn't meet the MAL standards to be accepted as an entry in the database.

However, since it's a new animated work, there is a chance of it to be accepted if you try to add it yourself, and let the database mods to decide whether it passes the guidelines or not
http://myanimelist.net/panel.php?go=anime_series&do=add
Apr 25, 2014 12:20 PM
Jul 2018
Is this canon to Teen Titans?
Apr 25, 2014 12:26 PM

Feb 2013
SolviteSekai said:

What is and isn't anime?

You didn't know? It has to be on MAL /s
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.

More topics from this board

» Why I won't check out anime based on PC visual novels

littlepaul1002 - 2 hours ago

12 by Lucifrost »»
3 minutes ago

» Is your waifu inspired by other waifus?

Catalano - 3 hours ago

9 by Shizuna »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » is the word "disney" plot or story a valid criticism?

deg - 8 hours ago

28 by luisfunes99 »»
17 minutes ago

» Why doesn't Hollywood take risk anymore unlike the anime industry? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Yesterday

50 by JaniSIr »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » bad ending means a bad show?

deg - 8 hours ago

24 by Xypheron »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.