Forum Settings
Forums

New '5-toubun no Hanayome' Anime in Production

New
Apr 28, 9:43 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

A new 5-toubun no Hanayome (The Quintessential Quintuplets) anime was announced at the series' 5th anniversary event in Yokohama Arena on Sunday. The new anime, 5-toubun no Hanayome*, based on Negi Haruba's romantic comedy manga, will center on the honeymoon trip of Fuutarou and the Nakano sisters. Haruba drafted the original story and is supervising the new anime.

The event also announced a new light novel by Hajime Asano (Mayo Chiki!) based on Haruba's original concept. The light novel will follow the daily life of the quintuplets that were not depicted in the original manga.

Weekly Shounen Magazine serialized the original romantic comedy manga between August 2017 and February 2020. Kodansha published the 14th and final volume in April 2020. 5-toubun no Hanayome has a cumulative 20 million copies of its volumes in circulation.

The first season produced by Tezuka Productions aired in Winter 2019. Bibury Animation Studios produced the second season in Winter 2021. Crunchyroll streamed both seasons with subtitles and an English dub.

A sequel movie premiered in Japan in May 2022, followed by two-episode side story television special by animation studio Shaft in September 2023.

Kodansha USA began publishing the manga in English in June 2018 and released the 14th and final volume digitally in August 2020 and physically in July 2021.

Official site: https://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/5hanayome/
Official X (Twitter): @5Hanayome_anime

Source: Comic Natalie

5-toubun no Hanayome* on MAL

Apr 28, 10:00 AM

Apr 2012
On the one hand, I am a little worried that they have clearly begun to milk the franchise even more. On the other hand, if this is what I’m thinking about, then many fans were really interested in knowing what the quasi-open ending of the manga and now the anime would lead to.
Apr 28, 10:02 AM

Dec 2021
Are they milking it? Yes

Am I going to be watching? Yes

Apr 28, 10:05 AM

May 2021
some view this as milking, i view this as a win! just need Shaft to be announced as the studio then we're good to go!!!
Apr 28, 10:06 AM

Jan 2021
Praying for SHAFT again
Apr 28, 10:08 AM

Aug 2016
A surprise to be sure. While I know a LOT of people were unhappy with the ending (my best girl didn't win either), I still liked the ending we got. This anime only continuation may seem like a blatant cashgrab (and yeah, it probably is), but it could do wonders for the series. Having some extra content showing the final pair actually together as a couple could help flesh out their relationship far more than what we originally got to see. It may not appease the diehard fans of the losing quints, but it may make it easier to accept the ending for what it is.

Either way, I just really love this cast of characters, and am just happy to see more of them regardless.
Apr 28, 10:23 AM

Jan 2016
Considering this is the Honeymoon arc, or whatever it will be called officially, I'm expecting this to be a short movie or a special. I just watched this until the end because of the VAs so I'm happy there is more
Apr 28, 10:43 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Ryushindai
Considering this is the Honeymoon arc, or whatever it will be called officially, I'm expecting this to be a short movie or a special. I just watched this until the end because of the VAs so I'm happy there is more
@Ryushindai Regarding VA. Recently, Itsuki's VA got into a rather unpleasant scandal, which will most likely lead to her conflict with Miku's VA or even somewhat with others too. So I wonder how production of this show will work if they are going to completely retain the cast.
Apr 28, 10:46 AM

Apr 2013
I was surprised that there is a sequel after the conclusion of the movie, so I expected something like the Horimiya spinoff-season. But a story about their honeymoon eh... would be kinda weird now if the other four sisters till tried to win him over I guess lol
Apr 28, 10:59 AM

Jan 2016
Reply to RobertBobert
@Ryushindai Regarding VA. Recently, Itsuki's VA got into a rather unpleasant scandal, which will most likely lead to her conflict with Miku's VA or even somewhat with others too. So I wonder how production of this show will work if they are going to completely retain the cast.
@RobertBobert The Doyakonga drama.. yeah, I don't believe any of that thing, popular VAs are way too busy with schedules packed to the brim to be full time work saying bad things to other VAs on twitter or protecting their Favorite
Apr 28, 11:01 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Ryushindai
@RobertBobert The Doyakonga drama.. yeah, I don't believe any of that thing, popular VAs are way too busy with schedules packed to the brim to be full time work saying bad things to other VAs on twitter or protecting their Favorite
@Ryushindai I also suspect that the main culprit was some overly intrusive staff member of Inorin, but at the moment all I can hope for is that the conflict does not go too far, given the hints of a libel lawsuit from Itou Miku.
Apr 28, 11:12 AM

Jan 2016
Reply to RobertBobert
@Ryushindai I also suspect that the main culprit was some overly intrusive staff member of Inorin, but at the moment all I can hope for is that the conflict does not go too far, given the hints of a libel lawsuit from Itou Miku.
@RobertBobert lets forget this drama, have a cute photo from Inorin and Miku from the event
RyushindaiApr 28, 11:18 AM
Apr 28, 11:13 AM

May 2020
So they’re taking the honeymoon joke they did towards the end of the series as some serious stuff this time around? Lol, I really like this but they’re going a bit overboard with their side story and “sequel” stuffs.

Also after everything that went down a few weeks ago, how will Minase Inori will face her fellow sister VA’s lol.
Apr 28, 11:17 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Softhenic03
So they’re taking the honeymoon joke they did towards the end of the series as some serious stuff this time around? Lol, I really like this but they’re going a bit overboard with their side story and “sequel” stuffs.

Also after everything that went down a few weeks ago, how will Minase Inori will face her fellow sister VA’s lol.
@Softhenic03 Not only Miku, Inorin's supposed alternative account also speculated about Ayaneru's "suspicious relationship" or Taketatsu Ayana's plastic surgery. So whether she was really at fault or not, All star casting could be a problem in this case. Not surprisingly, many joked that this was turning into a real-life Nakano sisters feud. Not to mention Futarou, since Matsuoka used to joke that Inorin is a very tough person in her personal life and many people now refer to him.

If I understand correctly, yes. I doubt that joke was an intentional sequel hook, but many fans speculated about what might happen next.
Apr 28, 12:13 PM

May 2021
Damn it seems that the studio wants to really milk this manga to death and at the same so many cool stories remain buried with no chance of getting animated.
The anime industry has really become Hollywood when to comes to milking franchises and ignoring gems .

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Apr 28, 12:17 PM
Dec 2023
I view this as an absolute win for those of us yearning for more however the risk is high that everything could be ruined in terms of the actual ending being destroyed
Apr 28, 12:47 PM
Sep 2021
Wow! Incredible news! I really hope that they do the extention justice! Sometimes these things are terrible because let's be real, they just want to make more money from the show but.. it will hopefully turn out to be just as good as the original story.

I'm looking forward to watching this when it comes out
Apr 28, 12:52 PM

Aug 2019
Highly unlikely, but I'd like to at least hope this goes back to the character designs from S1

Apr 28, 1:10 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to 5hadow17
Highly unlikely, but I'd like to at least hope this goes back to the character designs from S1
@5hadow17 Seriously? From quite good and high-quality design and animation of the last two episodes to the cheap visual of the first season?
Apr 28, 1:16 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
What are the changes they shit on the original ending (author included) and let a better girl win? Which would easily be any of the other four...

jeks1234 said:
I view this as an absolute win for those of us yearning for more however the risk is high that everything could be ruined in terms of the actual ending being destroyed

The fact that this could destroy that shit ending has me more interested.
Apr 28, 1:42 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Playcool
What are the changes they shit on the original ending (author included) and let a better girl win? Which would easily be any of the other four...

jeks1234 said:

The fact that this could destroy that shit ending has me more interested.
Playcool said:
Literally none as this their honeymoon arc. The best girl won anyway so who cares.
Apr 28, 1:43 PM

Aug 2019
Reply to RobertBobert
@5hadow17 Seriously? From quite good and high-quality design and animation of the last two episodes to the cheap visual of the first season?
@RobertBobert

Specific about character designs there

Apr 28, 1:43 PM

Oct 2017
As a big fan I'm really happy but the delusional fans of the rejected girls will be there again to shit on it for no reason lol.
Apr 28, 1:45 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@RobertBobert The character design of s1 was better and more faithful to the manga. Not that I dislike later season ones but they are a bit lolified.
Apr 28, 1:51 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to MegamiRem
@RobertBobert The character design of s1 was better and more faithful to the manga. Not that I dislike later season ones but they are a bit lolified.
@MegamiRem Perhaps more faithful, but the first season was quite too cheap for such a popular anime.
Apr 28, 1:55 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@MegamiRem Perhaps more faithful, but the first season was quite too cheap for such a popular anime.
@RobertBobert Specifically talking about the character designs and not production value.
Apr 28, 1:58 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to MegamiRem
@RobertBobert Specifically talking about the character designs and not production value.
@MegamiRem I know. But I'd rather accept the show get a new design but be very well done than be visually closer to the manga but be disrespected as a generic rom-com adaptation.
Apr 28, 5:17 PM

Jul 2007
As mentioned in show's topic, I'm very conflicted on my thoughts here. I really liked the Quintuplets show overall, even if I didn't like how the movie panned out (mainly it felt like Fuutarou had already made his decision, so the girls interactions felt forced). So I'm happy to see more content and I will enjoy it.

But there are so many shows that need more content, so the fact this show, which is technically finished, continues to receive more is very frustrating to me. But the industry will go where there is money...
iwubanimeApr 28, 5:22 PM
Apr 28, 5:35 PM
Mar 2024
This need a hentai spin off.
Apr 29, 2:43 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to Gator
I was surprised that there is a sequel after the conclusion of the movie, so I expected something like the Horimiya spinoff-season. But a story about their honeymoon eh... would be kinda weird now if the other four sisters till tried to win him over I guess lol
@Gator I find it so unhealthy if the other sisters try to take Futaro again. He is married to Yotsuba, and although they were all in love, they were always respectful to each other. The five love each other, so make them try to divorce their sister? Nah, that worries me and if that's the case, I think it would be horrible. I seem to be the only one who sees things like that though and I'm surprised.
Apr 29, 4:23 AM
Aug 2022
I'm the happiest boy for an hour
Apr 29, 4:55 AM
May 2019
People who complain about the ending must have the memory of a goldfish because it's the only logical ending in the series. Go watch the first episode again to recollect which girl was first nice and accepting of him. This isn't rocket science, folks.
Apr 29, 6:58 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
MegamiRem said:
As a big fan I'm really happy but the delusional fans of the rejected girls will be there again to shit on it for no reason lol.

Then the delusional fans are in the majority here, not that it matters cuz what most of the fans wanted is not what the mangaka wanted.

If anything he at least had the balls to finish it how and WHEN he wanted, BUT if he starts to milk the series pointlessly, then he will lose many's respect .
Apr 29, 7:00 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
GoodBoy0069 said:
This need a hentai spin off.

YES. Make it a sixsome while at it!
Apr 29, 7:29 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to Playcool
MegamiRem said:

Then the delusional fans are in the majority here, not that it matters cuz what most of the fans wanted is not what the mangaka wanted.

If anything he at least had the balls to finish it how and WHEN he wanted, BUT if he starts to milk the series pointlessly, then he will lose many's respect .
Playcool said:

Let's say each sisters have 5 fans each, if one won she'd have 5 fan and the rest would have 20 so yes. The majority of fanbase would be left unsatisfied no matter which girl won cause no one girl in this manga is more popular than the other four combined.

If Negi wanted to milk the series he'd have done that with the manga and not in a roundabout way like this. He ended the manga with 122 chapters, short for such a popular series like 5-toubun. If he was gonna milk it he could have streched it to infinity like most authors of popular mangas these days.
Apr 29, 8:11 AM

Oct 2018
Reply to MegamiRem
@MegamiRem S1 character designs + Shaft = perfection

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Apr 29, 2:16 PM

Jul 2022
Great news for fine art enthusiasts everywhere🍷
Apr 30, 3:49 AM
Jun 2022
Why we're still here, just to suffer...
May 1, 1:57 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Reply to MegamiRem
Playcool said:

Let's say each sisters have 5 fans each, if one won she'd have 5 fan and the rest would have 20 so yes. The majority of fanbase would be left unsatisfied no matter which girl won cause no one girl in this manga is more popular than the other four combined.

If Negi wanted to milk the series he'd have done that with the manga and not in a roundabout way like this. He ended the manga with 122 chapters, short for such a popular series like 5-toubun. If he was gonna milk it he could have streched it to infinity like most authors of popular mangas these days.
@MegamiRem Well, I keep forgetting people hate Ichika more than they lack of interest on Yotsuba.
But I mean is, you have 5 sisters, and 3 of them have many more fans than the last two stops, Nino is my favorite, she is in third place, yet she has almost 3x as much fanbase only here on MAL, the other two, go well beyond the 20 000s.

Yotsuba won because that is what the mangaka was going from the start, but he never build her to be as likeable or as enjoyable as the other girls, she had much less spotlight than them, it is so confusing because the mangaka should be able to judge what he is doing at some level, IMO he should have made Yotsuba a way more compelling character, and he can make them compelling because damm Miku and Nino~~
It is like on purpose he decided to make her more bland and a background character, one that supports from the shadows rather than assuming control of her life.
This is the web, we are pitiful beings, the best girl should win, no one wants the girl who fought the least, who was fine with being a shadow, to win.

Tell me whatever you want, I recall the high score the manga had well before its ending, when it was going strong, how much it has fallen after its ending, the majority of people here don't agree with the ending, but you shit on it and you move forward, but that doesn't mean one will stay indifferent, when you say the best girl won, far from it.
If there are series that live for their endings, this was one of them, it is not the problem of your favorite not winning but rather who wins does not deserve it and felt like an afterthought up until the reveals and the ending.
May 2, 9:04 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to Playcool
@MegamiRem Well, I keep forgetting people hate Ichika more than they lack of interest on Yotsuba.
But I mean is, you have 5 sisters, and 3 of them have many more fans than the last two stops, Nino is my favorite, she is in third place, yet she has almost 3x as much fanbase only here on MAL, the other two, go well beyond the 20 000s.

Yotsuba won because that is what the mangaka was going from the start, but he never build her to be as likeable or as enjoyable as the other girls, she had much less spotlight than them, it is so confusing because the mangaka should be able to judge what he is doing at some level, IMO he should have made Yotsuba a way more compelling character, and he can make them compelling because damm Miku and Nino~~
It is like on purpose he decided to make her more bland and a background character, one that supports from the shadows rather than assuming control of her life.
This is the web, we are pitiful beings, the best girl should win, no one wants the girl who fought the least, who was fine with being a shadow, to win.

Tell me whatever you want, I recall the high score the manga had well before its ending, when it was going strong, how much it has fallen after its ending, the majority of people here don't agree with the ending, but you shit on it and you move forward, but that doesn't mean one will stay indifferent, when you say the best girl won, far from it.
If there are series that live for their endings, this was one of them, it is not the problem of your favorite not winning but rather who wins does not deserve it and felt like an afterthought up until the reveals and the ending.
@Playcool MAL character favourite is not a great indicator for character popularity and it's basic knowledge. Quints biggest market is in japan as is for most animes.

I can safely say you didn't get 1% of Yotsuba's character or her charms. Just cause you don't like or understand the character doesn't mean she's bland or bad. For example now what if I say in your own words Nino was the biggest bitch untill halfway the manga and suddenly completely changed without any reason. Also Miku's just your average waifu bait, bland af. Many people didn't want the biggest bitch or bland waifu bait to win.

The manga still has a high score and is in top 1000 in MAL which is still a lot high. Also getting downvoted by salty fanbois is nothing new after something end. Also like I said majority of fanbase would be unhappy no matter who won cause it's a harem. You have been repeating the same thing since the conversation started.
May 2, 9:12 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to Playcool

@Playcool Also another thing, you keep saying that majority of people hated the ending and your only proof is MAL rating lol. If that really was the case then they would have stopped making more animes, games, merch and stuff out of this franchise as the sales would have plummeted but that's clearly not the case as they keep making more. So atleast it wasn't a majority among the people who actually buys the products aka japanese fanbase or wasn't big enough to negatively impact the sales by a lot.

More topics from this board

» 'Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan' Reveals Supporting Cast, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

9 by Dranex752 »»
12 minutes ago

» 'Zegapain: STA' Unveils Additional Cast, Staff, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 2 hours ago

2 by PostMahouShoujo »»
12 minutes ago

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Unveils Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

2 by tsubasalover »»
3 hours ago

» 'Tasuuketsu' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

Hyperion_PS - 5 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
5 hours ago

» 'Sorairo Utility' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.