Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
May 9, 2023 12:42 AM
Dec 2021
KneelBeforeMe said:
The moment I was dreading the most from this season was finally adapted... brutal. Ketil is unredeemable after this (and a phony). My only complaint (and for anime onlys note that it's the same thing in the manga) is that Leif and Thorfinn's reunion isn't showed or on the forefront whatsoever after building it up quite a bit.

The confrontation with Canute approaches, cannot wait for the conclusion of this arc.

do we get one later or not?
May 9, 2023 12:44 AM
Jul 2020
It's honestly sad to see Ketil go this far, since he was shown to be a mostly caring master, even refusing to beat the kids who stole from him because he knew it was too cruel.

To see him almost kill Arnheid, without the full context of why she tried to escape really just shows that he really did just think of her as something that belonged to him, making him just like the rest.

Her whole life really just changed with Gardar leaving for war, and if he'd stayed, who knows how things could have turned out.
May 9, 2023 12:47 AM
Dec 2022
one of the best episode in season 2
May 9, 2023 1:21 AM
May 2017
I still think Ketil was overall a good master, especially in his time period wherein masters would do way worse things to their slaves.
Ketil was overall merciful, albeit a coward majority of the time.

It just so happened that he was already under so much stress and the news about Arnheid added on top just made him snap. 
He was a good-hearted master for 17 episodes and just 1 episode of his emotions getting the best of him. 
What he did was of course wrong, I'm not going to defend that,
but in that specific time period, other masters would have legit destroyed Arnheid.

May 9, 2023 1:41 AM

Sep 2020
Zeshiba said:
I still think Ketil was overall a good master, especially in his time period wherein masters would do way worse things to their slaves.

It just so happened that he was already under so much stress and the news about Arnheid added on top just made him snap. 
He was a good-hearted master for 17 episodes and just 1 episode of his emotions getting the best of him. 
but in that specific time period, other masters would have legit destroyed Arnheid.

He also legit destroyed Arnheid.
May 9, 2023 1:44 AM

Jan 2021
A shame they didn't show Leif's and Thorfinn's initial reaction to seeing each other. So much build-up to it for nothing.
But I can't really complain much because Arneheid & Ketil scene was brutal as well.
Showing happy reunion after that beating would've been weird.
May 9, 2023 1:53 AM

Mar 2020
What the devil was that. I really hate Ketil. Just ughh wtf.

And I was looking forward for Leif and Thorfinn reunion reaction but why there's none?
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
May 9, 2023 2:08 AM

Oct 2010
Iron Fist Ketil can't hurt you. Iron Fist Ketil isn't real.

*Iron Fist Ketil enters the battle*
May 9, 2023 2:12 AM
Mar 2023
This was such a devastating episode to watch. My heart breaks for poor Arnheid. She went through emotional hell in last week's episode and now has to endure this extra suffering. I hope things get better for her. I liked Snake a lot more after this ep. 
May 9, 2023 2:20 AM
Mar 2016
off topic a little bit.
I haven't watch season 2 but I have one question on my head that I felt not worth it to watch. every anime must have a story where character have an ultimate goal like Luffy in OP and Naruto in Naruto.
Thorfinn goal is well defeat or kill the guy who killed his father. but at the end of season 1 well his goal was ultimate lost forever. with that I felt there is no point in continue seeing a pointless adventure anymore. How heartless the author is? without that goal I see no ultimate ending for the series. the more story the author wrote the more money he gets. yeah I know. don't get the wrong idea. I took a I took a glim / a peek at episode 16 and I know how good it is.
May 9, 2023 2:32 AM
May 2021
Well I expected consequences, but damn Arnheid got it pretty bad.
There is truth in this episode, but I doubt anyone will pin point it.
May 9, 2023 2:56 AM
Jan 2023
AOD-san said:
Now I'm not asking for something super enthusiastic or exciting, but it would've just been nice to see. Especially considering Thorfinn's new personality. And it would've been before they found out Arnheid was beat up anyways. 
Why would the new thorfinn suddenly go happy with finding leif when his mindset is actually far more than that? For leif sure, but Leif literally has been disappointed through his journey that it wouldn't even make sense for him to be happy like what you wanted 
May 9, 2023 2:57 AM
Jan 2023
KinjiKido said:
off topic a little bit.
I haven't watch season 2 but I have one question on my head that I felt not worth it to watch. every anime must have a story where character have an ultimate goal like Luffy in OP and Naruto in Naruto.
Thorfinn goal is well defeat or kill the guy who killed his father. but at the end of season 1 well his goal was ultimate lost forever. with that I felt there is no point in continue seeing a pointless adventure anymore. How heartless the author is? without that goal I see no ultimate ending for the series. the more story the author wrote the more money he gets. yeah I know. don't get the wrong idea. I took a I took a glim / a peek at episode 16 and I know how good it is.
If you're just seeing episode 16 and don't know what Thorfinn is trying to accomplish. you need to watch the whole season 2 for that to happen. 
May 9, 2023 3:04 AM
Oct 2022
Damn. I am fucking hate that old bastard. I never thought he would hit a defenceless woman after she said she was pregnant.
May 9, 2023 4:52 AM

Jul 2016
nanadaimekun__ said:
What the devil was that. I really hate Ketil. Just ughh wtf.

And I was looking forward for Leif and Thorfinn reunion reaction but why there's none?

Thats what i was thinking... Leif been looking for the whole show to date and then the two of them just standing there looking at arnheid.

Does Leif not recognise Thorfin?
May 9, 2023 4:52 AM
Apr 2018
I really hope we end the season on chapter 100. I need to see it animated!!
May 9, 2023 4:54 AM
Apr 2022
he should've done this shid to Olmar 🤣🤣😭
May 9, 2023 4:58 AM
Jun 2007
Ouch, poor Arnheid. Was expecting to see "tearful" reunion of Leif and Thorfin but....
Ketil become "back" as badass
May 9, 2023 5:11 AM

Oct 2016
Jesus Christ.

I read the manga, but either way, that was so so hard to watch. I can handle disturbing shit in shows pretty well I'd say, but this is definitely one of the most disturbing, seeing this part animated, it even made me look away, which I don't really remember doing frequently. 

Leif and Thorfinn couldn't even get a happy reunion. Pater is such a good man though. I also really respect Snake's principles. It really took all this for Ketil to grow a backbone.
May 9, 2023 5:22 AM
Oct 2019
Guess they didn't called him Iron Fist Ketil for nothing...

Iron First Ketil enter the battle!!
May 9, 2023 5:22 AM
Aug 2020
I Loved it because I like how the story progress and how the plot it's and the fact that the emotions was given much more it deserved.
May 9, 2023 5:33 AM

Dec 2016
At least now we will finally see "Iron Fist" Ketil in action.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.97/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.164/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.86/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.53/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
May 9, 2023 5:51 AM

Oct 2009
I was dreading this episode :(
Man...fuck Ketil.
May 9, 2023 6:09 AM

Jun 2019
The Gardar mini-arc had its individual enjoyable or interesting moments, but as a whole the past few episodes were, it's safe to say, my least favorite part of the entire series so far (I mean the entire series as in both seasons, so including all of season one as well). Which still wasn't bad television compared to a lot of other bland generic anime and non-anime series alike out there; just bad for Vinland Saga compared to everything else which preceded it. It comes down in my case to an aversion toward really caring for the Gardar character and, in general, never being a fan in any series in switching focus midway or at any random point to place heavy central focus on a new side or short-lived character we were just introduced to one or two or three episodes before.

This, by contrast, was more of a return to form and a brutal and beautiful one.

Here's the thing - I can understand Ketil's perspective, which, at least going based off of everything that was portrayed, is that he feels like he's gotten absolutely nothing, zero, zilch, for everything he's done and is being robbed of everything even by those he placed his trust in. It's clear from earlier episodes he feels alienated even from his own family. He looks at one of his sons, the older one, Thorgil, as a cold violent psychopath with a bloodlust he actually feels intimidated by himself (which is ironic because he may have gotten at least some of his propensity for a violent streak from Ketil himself owing to accounts of his past battlefield exploits and the behavior on display in this episode when lashing out). He looks at the other as a lazy, spoiled, incompetent braggart and troublemaker. There doesn't seem to be any romantic affection and chemistry with his wife who I assume is closer to his age or a little older, or even friendship, beyond proper formalities for rote filling of traditional roles and keeping up appearances.

Now he has Canute set on him for a complicated political reason which is known only to a small inner circle in the shadows and of which he has no knowledge and nothing to do with. In a way, he was living a large part of the life Thors was espousing early in the series and clearly wanted for himself and his son. Except at the point in time we mainly followed him in the series, Thors would have never owned slaves period. But the point is he gave up any role with the national military or Vikings, started to turn away from and hate either participating in or even the sight of violence. Wanted nothing more than to manage a vast plentiful farm. Generally treated the slaves well and everyone else whom he came into contact with from everything we were shown. And yet for trying to turn his life around for probably decades at this point, show generosity, kindness, and mercy wherever and whenever he could to whomever he could within the cultural confines and context of what his socio-economic station and the period would allow without himself being ostracized as an oddity or picked apart to the bone earlier as a weakling, he feels he was spit in the face and stabbed in the back from all directions; made a fool of.

At the same time he treats Arnheid, I would say as property and a dog, but even moreso than that, more like an inanimate object as the one comfort in a hard world and as a pillow to fall back on after the rigors of daily keeping up appearances, playing his role, etc. He could always fall back on her probably as a mixture of a sex doll, maid, and mother figure. So when even that "pillow" looked like she wanted to sprout an independent will and agenda of her own and rob him from within, rob him of herself, it was intolerable and the flying into a rage almost inevitable.

It's a tough situation. Ketil, despite being a generally amicable and agreeable guy on a superficial level, probably didn't trust much of anyone or put much faith in anyone else including even his own sons, and didn't care if most others lived or died considering he didn't seem to ever feel really comfortable and in place in the world filling the shoes he did. You start removing crucial building blocks for a person like that and their world comes crashing down. I like Arnheid, but also can definitely understand the need to go absolutely berserk and not care what you do to anyone or anything anyhow anywhere anytime and resort to extreme measures to protect the inner sanctum of one's private world. When it's besieged, double, triple, quadruple down even moreso. Siege mentality.
WatchTillTandavaMay 9, 2023 6:18 AM
May 9, 2023 6:28 AM

May 2018
It war time next week! Ketil pops off this episode, looks like we'll finally get to see him live up to his name on the battlefield.
May 9, 2023 7:31 AM

Feb 2019
Never liked Ketil to begin with. The man put the pretense of a good man and a good master for everyone just to hide his cowardice. It was a matter of time he showed his true colors.

May 9, 2023 7:50 AM

Sep 2012
Poor Arnheid just wants to live a normal with her family, didn't deserve to experience all her suffering. 
Was so hyped for Thorfinn and Leif reunion and yet they didn't show its importance smh.
May 9, 2023 8:31 AM
Mar 2021
bruh I'm barely following wtf is happening with this Ketil character. who tf are "THOSE THIEVES"??? and then he's nearly turning into a Nord last minute through externalizing his every problem onto Kanute, on some "me against the world" shit? I knew he been a bitch but big bro exceeded my every expectation of cowardice, bravo 👏
May 9, 2023 8:33 AM
Mar 2021
Khalifla said:
I was so sure he won't her, bro not gonna lie i enjoyed so much that he did
I think you're missing a few words there bro
May 9, 2023 8:36 AM
Aug 2020
It was so hard to watch Arnheid getting beat up like that 😥
May 9, 2023 9:37 AM
Nov 2018
ANOTHER PEAKLAND SAGA EPISODE,

dayyum, i've got goosebumps when ketil beats the hell out of arnheid.. feel sorry tho, but whatever.

i just can't fckin wait for the next episode, dude.
May 9, 2023 9:41 AM
Apr 2023
Bro Pater is the greatest dude in the show
May 9, 2023 9:46 AM
Jan 2018
First time I watched without taking a single break, that was a nerve-wracking episode!
May 9, 2023 10:08 AM
Jul 2019
great episode, i feel horrible for arnheid. very sad we didnt get to see thorfinn reuniting with leif cause of what was going on :(

May 9, 2023 10:16 AM
Jan 2023
I might get hate. but damn Arnheid fucked up. can't blame her doh it was in an impossible situation. But she chose the choice that had the lowest chance of working which she knew and said herself. Sad to think that if she had stayed out of it Ketil probably would of believed her and gave her to Leif to save the life of her and his child or probably just not fight. But she put all get cards on her husband that was broken beyond imagine just to get a sad goodbye. FUCK! The shit we do for love.
May 9, 2023 10:21 AM
Aug 2022
One of the most painful to watch episodes.
May 9, 2023 11:10 AM
Apr 2021
Ketil going mad and turning into a person who’s lost everything is such a pivotal piece in his character bc he was branded as someone who’s understanding now he’s gone off the deep end considering bro has to fight off the king💀

But damn man this was another painful episode to watch, seeing Arnheid get beaten up brutally like that fucking hurt me like I feel so bad for slaves back in the 10th—11th century bc they were going through the worst abuse ever😓😢
May 9, 2023 12:09 PM

Oct 2021
StallionXD said:
After that fkng trash that was the Gardar arc this is back on track!!!

Arnheid deserved it, she should have been raped by the horses or something lol, Ketil made a mistake? Well, what do you people expect, she told him she is pregnant after trying to escape with her lover, of course he wasn't going to believe that, he was angry as fuck, and just like Snake said, he can kill his slaves if he wants, that's how that works, people saying he sucks now for what he did are dumbasses that just don't wanna understand how society worked in the past yet they try to enjoy and defend this story, and that's hilarious.

And Snake isn't dead? WHAT A FKNG JOKE, I KNEW IT, dumb ass Gardar wasn't even able to kill him, it is clear now that Gardar didn't accomplished or added anything to this plot other than fkng filler, they could have go with "Arnheid tried to escape and be free because she didn't want his son to have a slave for a mother" and the outcome was going to be the same lmaooo

And Leif finally found Thorfinn but we had their reunion skipped because, again, of fkng Arnheid, so yeah, I'm serious, she should've been raped by horses.

Anyways, can't wait for the next episode!
go to google and search therapists near me 
May 9, 2023 12:17 PM

Oct 2021
Zeshiba said:

the show literally spoon-feeds you the fact that there is nothing called a good master slave owner, it is not even subtle. ketil is classic example of cowards who act all nice while getting privilege but show their true face as soon as things go south.  and it is more surprising how it took many people so long to understand that he is trash when he has been a r@pist from the start.
May 9, 2023 12:25 PM
Jan 2023
WatchTillTandava said:
It comes down in my case to an aversion toward really caring for the Gardar character and, in general, never being a fan in any series in switching focus midway or at any random point to place heavy central focus on a new side or short-lived character we were just introduced to one or two or three episodes before.
The narrative is clearly not about "caring about" certain character but literally rather thinking what the tragedy is in general and this goes to any character. If you saw Gardar's subplot as a means to care for Gardar then you missed the whole point of the narrative. 
May 9, 2023 12:53 PM
Dec 2021
Khalifla said:
I was so sure he won't her, bro not gonna lie i enjoyed so much that he did

indeed, watching her get beat was fun
May 9, 2023 12:53 PM

Nov 2021
Holy shit this was uncomfortable to watch. I handle brutality and gore in fiction pretty ok but something about it being as simple as realistic beating with a stick felt so awful to watch. Ketil is weak willed piece of shit. Poor Arnheid just can't take a break these past couple of episodes. I'm guessing it's almost a guarantee she lost the baby by now.

Also kinda sad they brushed Thorfinn and Leif reunion, I understand that it would take the focus of THAT moment but I hope we'll see more of them next episode.
May 9, 2023 12:55 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Been expecting this episode for a while since it's one of the best chapters in the manga. It did not disappoint. They're doing a solid job adapting this. Next episode should be another banger.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 9, 2023 1:05 PM
Jul 2022
Felt like five minutes.
May 9, 2023 1:14 PM
Dec 2021
SohEasy said:
Just wanted to point out that if Ketil did worse to anyone else, nobody would bat an eye. But since he did that to a woman, and one that people seem to like a lot, everyone is acting like he is the worst human being alive. Plus, let's not forget that in "normal" circunstances, her actions would have resulted in FAR worse consequences.
Anyways, she is a very unlucky person. Most of the bad things that happened to her weren't her fault. Such a tragic story.

one hundred percent agreed.
May 9, 2023 1:19 PM
Dec 2021
fantastic episode, the beating was delicious, much better than the manga (beating scene), personally.
May 9, 2023 1:20 PM
May 2017
RBTHE1ST said:
Zeshiba said:

the show literally spoon-feeds you the fact that there is nothing called a good master slave owner, it is not even subtle. ketil is classic example of cowards who act all nice while getting privilege but show their true face as soon as things go south.  and it is more surprising how it took many people so long to understand that he is trash when he has been a r@pist from the start.
I believe your standard of "good" stems from perfection, which is obviously unrealistic as there are no true perfect leaders or owners. The show leaves it up to the viewers to interpret what they think about the narrative and I stand by my perspective which is that Ketil was relatively a good master as compared to the other slave masters at the time.
May 9, 2023 1:29 PM

Sep 2017
Alright Canute time to murder the absolute fuck out of Ketil jfc he took the bad end. That was a brutal episode. I didn't expect Ketil to go down this route tbh. It always has to end with violence which really contrasts what Thorfinn was postulating the idea that there must always be another way. That it doesn't have to be violence... I am so conflicted rn.
May 9, 2023 1:44 PM
Jan 2021
i kinda like this version of ketil, weve seen him kinda being pushed around this season but now hes taking a stand and is on his own mission to defend his farm. 
May 9, 2023 1:44 PM
Jul 2022
did anyone notice how leif and thorfinn were side by side but didn't show any signs of recognizing each other
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2023

138 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » we getting that award fr ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 23

53 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2023

370 by ebobota »»
May 10, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

488 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:09 AM

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Apr 27

45 by LargeSkittle »»
May 6, 10:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.