Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 16, 2023 11:22 AM

Jun 2014
Another beautiful perfect episode! The dynamic between Einar and Thorfinn couldn't be any better.
Jan 16, 2023 11:27 AM
May 2014
It feels weir to see Thorfinn so defeated, but it is interesting tho. Can’t wait to see how his new partner will change him
Jan 16, 2023 11:30 AM

May 2018
Thorfinn's changed so much wow. No more is the rage and edginess present... only emptiness
Jan 16, 2023 11:33 AM

Feb 2012
It's farming time!
Thorfinn shows Einar the ropes (including telling him which direction to cut trees down in so they fall correctly).
The Karls come to bully the Thralls on their lunch delivery. Thorfinn suckers it up before Einar can escalate the situation. The Karls leave their duties to the Thralls who have to make do with smaller manpower and resources. This first half, adapted from chapter 56, shows how the social classes of Karls (free men) and Thralls (slaves) interact.
I must say, her colorized/animated appearance looks on point:

Onto the partial adaption of chapter 57:
Olnar's much older than infant Thorfinn was in Iceland and is much pushier. Nonetheless, he, like Thorfinn, has a naïve idea of war and a wish to leave. The guy's arm isn't even long enough to unsheathe his sword from his scabbard. I guess MAPPA decided to censor.
Wouldn't harm an insect? Make that can't even harm an insect.
Just as landowners what in good with nobility/royalty (see the court politics), the tenant farmers want in good with the landowners.
Einar's words hit close to home for Thorfinn. Really harkens back to Askeladd's resentment of Danes and much of the experiences Thorfinn had during his time in Askeladd's band of warriors.
Episode 1 basically expanded on this second flashback of Einar.
Fortress_MaximusJan 16, 2023 3:43 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 16, 2023 11:34 AM
Jan 2023
pretty good, I think that this is just the groundwork for some greater storytelling
Jan 16, 2023 11:45 AM
Jan 2023
Perrier1415 said:
It feels weir to see Thorfinn so defeated, but it is interesting tho. Can’t wait to see how his new partner will change him
if your main and only goal is to kill a person you despised but turns out you cared him more than that. it's pretty depressing and it's really disheartening for thorfinn to go through
Jan 16, 2023 11:45 AM

Nov 2021
I absolutely love the slower pace this season, very intrigued to learn how Thorfinn became a slave
Jan 16, 2023 12:07 PM
Apr 2020
wheat is love, wheat is life
Jan 16, 2023 12:17 PM

Mar 2018
Best anime of the season? yes
Jan 16, 2023 12:21 PM

Oct 2022
Finally we are going through the farmland arc: meaningful character development and farm work. Thorfinn very changed. The OP and ED worse than the previous season.

Jan 16, 2023 12:27 PM
Aug 2020
The latter half of the episode got me a lot more interested than the first episode and the first half of this episode. The dynamic between Thorfinn and Einer seems to be one that will grow very deep and personal and Olmar appears to be a character with an intriguing arc set-up. It's still only the start of the season but I felt like this episode was driving toward a pace that will become consistent and remain interesting. My only gripe so far is that the art style done by MAPPA feels inconsistent, weak, and at many times lazy. Don't get me wrong, I think MAPPA are a brilliant studio and have hit some incredible home runs in many of their productions, but it feels so distracting when so many scenes are like looking at clay bodies with no faces, or motions that should be fluid but feel like they were produced using stop motion. I'm hoping as the season progresses that these details improve as I thought Wit were outstanding in adapting Season 1, and I honestly felt that the animation and art were improved over episode 1, but overall it feels like a bit of a disappointment to not see as much detail in the characters themselves as of now. 
Jan 16, 2023 12:32 PM

Jul 2016
Another good one, nothing really happens until the next couple of episodes though really.
Penguins are funny
Jan 16, 2023 12:35 PM
Nov 2018
connordrbs said:
The latter half of the episode got me a lot more interested than the first episode and the first half of this episode. The dynamic between Thorfinn and Einer seems to be one that will grow very deep and personal and Olmar appears to be a character with an intriguing arc set-up. It's still only the start of the season but I felt like this episode was driving toward a pace that will become consistent and remain interesting. My only gripe so far is that the art style done by MAPPA feels inconsistent, weak, and at many times lazy. Don't get me wrong, I think MAPPA are a brilliant studio and have hit some incredible home runs in many of their productions, but it feels so distracting when so many scenes are like looking at clay bodies with no faces, or motions that should be fluid but feel like they were produced using stop motion. I'm hoping as the season progresses that these details improve as I thought Wit were outstanding in adapting Season 1, and I honestly felt that the animation and art were improved over episode 1, but overall it feels like a bit of a disappointment to not see as much detail in the characters themselves as of now.
Rewatch season 1 and look at the animation outside the fights, it's on the same level.
Jan 16, 2023 12:48 PM
Jan 2023
connordrbs said:
Similar style and and scenery when it was for season 1. I get you might think it's different because of the studio shift. But the changes of its art and direction did not change from season 1. 
Jan 16, 2023 1:22 PM
Feb 2018
The Animation was a bit stiff, especially at the start of the EP
I hope this improves and we get good farming sim shots with smooth sequences.
Ofc not expecting sakuga here, but it should be good.
Jan 16, 2023 1:38 PM
Aug 2020
ogking31 said:
connordrbs said:
Similar style and and scenery when it was for season 1. I get you might think it's different because of the studio shift. But the changes of its art and direction did not change from season 1. 
Really? It feels so different for some reason. Might be since when I watched it all the episodes were available so it was easier to ignore after watching a few episodes back to back.
Jan 16, 2023 1:39 PM
Aug 2020
SolarRider said:
connordrbs said:
Rewatch season 1 and look at the animation outside the fights, it's on the same level.
I guess since I watched season 1 when all the episodes were available and because it had so much action it must've been a lot easier to miss
Jan 16, 2023 1:41 PM

Aug 2020
3/5

Decent follow-up to last week's premiere. Animation was mediocre in certain parts but it's fine

We're supposedly at this Kettil's farm where one can buy their way outta slavery. Just gotta earn it with hard work on the farm. Einar gets introduced to Thorfinn and asked to mimic him. Thorfinn looks dead inside the whole episode. The owner's son is also a very interesting character and so is the daughter whom seem to have mesmerized Einar and for the right reasons. Einar deals with some bullies, so on and so forth

Slow start but absolutely enjoying it!!
2Birds1StonedJan 31, 2023 1:22 PM
Jan 16, 2023 1:51 PM
Nov 2021
TsushimaMartin said:
Great chapter today

Together Slice of Life a little serious and with funny parts

That man Olmar makes me curious

And the drawing is beautiful like the previous chapter

Waiting for the next chapter

may be you are in wrong discussion
may be(this is anime thread)
Jan 16, 2023 2:07 PM
Sep 2021
Slice of a Farmer Anime be like
Jan 16, 2023 2:08 PM
May 2020
work for your freedom... this slave owner is actually a very cool dude. earning back your freedom is something extremely rare
Jan 16, 2023 2:26 PM
Nirai Kanai

Dec 2012
Great episode. Still rough seeing my boy Thorfinn like this.

The World Suffused with Sound.
Jan 16, 2023 2:43 PM

Apr 2018
Well, they definitly have some kind of parellel. It's nice to see them have some small conversations together which can get them to know each other a bit better. It did happen in the last few minutes of the episode in which they both remembered their past. Aside from that, the episode was pretty weird. First off, working in Kentil's farm to pay for their own freedom. It does sound nice, but it takes quite a lot of time. Well, it's better than nothing. Still sucks that they're being confronted by harassing retainers. Nothing they can do about it, it's just as Thorfinn said. It will only get worse.. And Einar almost managed to make it worse until he saw that beautiful daughter of Kentil (ig). Well, she's quite the beauty. Oh man, the soundtracks playing throughout the whole episode were phenomenal. Afterwards, it's just all about Olmar. He's quite the brat, but I kind of understand his view. The next episode seems very interesting.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jan 16, 2023 2:45 PM

Jan 2019
Lmao I thought that they'd remove those parents, glad they didn't, that was hilarious lmao.

An absolutely great episode, the ending scene with Thorfinn and Einar was a subtle beginning to an amazing character dynamic between them. Look forward to seeing Thorfinn's docile and empty nature clash with Einar's determined and righteous nature.
Jan 16, 2023 2:49 PM

May 2015
That was beautifully done, can't wait to see more.
Jan 16, 2023 3:07 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
What an epic ending. Einar perhaps thinking what he's saying is falling on deaf ears, but Thorfinn is wide awake, bringing back to memory the fires of his own past. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 16, 2023 3:08 PM

Dec 2007
I wonder how many episodes until there is a pay off.
Jan 16, 2023 3:09 PM

Nov 2016
Polly_S said:
Best anime of the season? yes

Vinland Saga untouchable this season

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 16, 2023 4:45 PM
Jan 2023
lancelot200 said:
that's why you wait
Jan 16, 2023 4:47 PM

Jul 2016
lancelot200 said:

This season will be alot slower but overall just as good. 

I do mis Askild however... Vale.
Jan 16, 2023 4:48 PM

Dec 2020
PEEEEAK

PEEEEEEEEEEEAK
Jan 16, 2023 4:51 PM

Apr 2022
another episode that absolutely delivered.
thorfinn has changed so much, its crazy. no more rage filled killing machine.
einar learning the difficulties of the life of a slave. he got mesmerized by a woman tho haha.
olmar seems kinda interesting. but the daughter's parents xD.
Jan 16, 2023 5:07 PM
May 2021
Vinland Saga is peak and I love seeing every show MAPPA pumps out because they are always amazing
Jan 16, 2023 5:17 PM

Dec 2019
woo representing Denmark this season as well very cool (Thorfinn's headbow though lol)
Jan 16, 2023 5:19 PM

Dec 2018
it's not like this season can even hold a candle to last one so it's a low bar to call it AOTS. not very impressed so far. not bad, but not good either.
Jan 16, 2023 5:27 PM

Mar 2021
I like how this master let's his slaves buy themselves, it's a pretty unique concept. Sounds like he could be a good guy... His son seems like a fun character too.

I could imagine that the moment they clear the forest and replace it with wheat is going to be spectacular :D

I'm so glad that I like how this season is going, because I was scared that I might be bored based on what everyone was saying about this season. I can kinda see that all this is leading up to some massive character development.

The production is a big plus here, Mappa is doing wonders again. There were even a few amazing shots and the lighting is just constantly incredible.

I can see why some people would complain about this season. But I really appreciate all that it's gonna do.

Really hyped for more of this!
OdabraniJan 16, 2023 5:33 PM

Jan 16, 2023 6:36 PM

Feb 2012
Thorfinn is leveling his woodcutting to 99. 
Jan 16, 2023 7:19 PM

Jan 2011
this has a very different tone so far, im enjoying it
Jan 16, 2023 7:38 PM

Oct 2022
One once was a warrior
One wanted to become warrior but gave up.
One one to be a warrior.
Truly a thing. Also another thing Einar remind me of Reinar. XD

Jan 16, 2023 7:40 PM
Mar 2015
Farmers have it hard too
Jan 16, 2023 7:50 PM
Dec 2019
Good episode got to see the master's son and more work.
Jan 16, 2023 7:54 PM

Jul 2016
Thorfinn and Einar's Lord is truly one of a kind, huh? The way he treats his slaves is almost too good to be true...
Anyways, I'm really intrigued by his character.
Jan 16, 2023 9:55 PM

Feb 2016
idk how to feel, I don't like Einar at all, and Olmar is really dumb, they make this feel like a slice of life wtf, poor Thorfinn lol
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Jan 16, 2023 10:20 PM
May 2017
Anime only for now. Seeing my boy Thorfinn so defeafed is sad, like a dog who has been snipped. But I know he will bounce back. I heard from manga readers this arc won't be as action packed but more character driven. It's good, I enjoyed Vagabond's farm arc because of the development.

As for Einar, looks like he fell for a thotty rip. You must focus brother. Aside from that I'm looking forward to him and Thorfinn becoming bros.

Good episode
Jan 17, 2023 12:04 AM

Feb 2014
The pace is slow and nice for this episode, as there's plenty to take in with Ketil's farm. Ketil himself still looks like a decent guy, explaining to Einar about what his role will be on the farm and what can be achieved in a few years if things go well.

While that has given Einar plenty of optimism, the path to that goal is still going to have tough obstacles to manoeuvre around, as was showcased when the retainers came along to give him and Thorfinn the "lunch" they so happened to half consume on-route.

Ketil himself was struggling to get his rebellious son, Olmar, to get the basics right when it came to harvesting the wheat, which Olmar only succeeded in embarrassing himself before going off in a childish fit of anger. Although he's hell bent on not inheriting the farm from his father since he wants to join the army, he did show some concern for the wheat fields when two drunkards walked and trampled on some of the wheat instead of using the roads around the fields.

All in all, this was another satisfying episode. Production values are still very good, aside from one or two unpolished moments, and the background art was stunning during the sunset scene with Einar and Thorfinn in the wheat fields. =)
Jan 17, 2023 12:11 AM
Sep 2016
It was a good episode where Einar and Thorfinn came to know each other. Even though they can buy themselves free in 3 years and get treated well by the owner, they're still slaves to the retainers. Having no food to work must be very tough for them.
Jan 17, 2023 1:39 AM
Sep 2018
dude its so boring....
Jan 17, 2023 1:47 AM
Jan 2023
kisscampizzahut8 said:
dude its so boring....
then goodbye? pretty easy to do right?
Jan 17, 2023 2:47 AM

May 2016
Great episode, loved the music and pace.
Jan 17, 2023 4:03 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Ketil the farm owner is a true chad, he is the coolest man I've ever seen in this anime so far, second only to the deceased Thor.

I'm really curious what actually happened to Thorfinn, I thought he became Canute's right hand man or something alongside Thorkell. Never expected he would be a slave.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » we getting that award fr ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 23

53 by FruitPunchBaka »»
Yesterday, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2023

370 by ebobota »»
May 10, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

488 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:09 AM

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Apr 27

45 by LargeSkittle »»
May 6, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2023

284 by OrganikPatates »»
Apr 30, 6:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.