Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 29, 2022 3:11 PM

May 2020
Trailer for Spy x Family came out, and a lot of the humor is the exact same. Anya making the same couple faces, Yor being a psycho, and dog. The humor is one of the few selling points of the show, however to me towards the end of the first season it was already getting a bit dull. I feel like after awhile just spamming the same few gags will just get stale and the show will lose its appeal.

Like cmon, after the 100th time Anya goes O_O, im just sitting there like -_-
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 29, 2022 3:26 PM
Sep 2021
I feel like this is bait but I lowkey agree ngl. Only so much you can do with PG humor
Sep 29, 2022 3:27 PM
Jul 2018
CickNipolla said:
Trailer for Spy x Family came out, and a lot of the humor is the exact same. Anya making the same couple faces, Yor being a psycho, and dog. The humor is one of the few selling points of the show, however to me towards the end of the first season it was already getting a bit dull. I feel like after awhile just spamming the same few gags will just get stale and the show will lose its appeal.

I say drop it if it's not up to the expectations you want
Sep 29, 2022 3:29 PM
Jul 2018
koshiguruma said:
I feel like this is bait but I lowkey agree ngl. Only so much you can do with PG humor

I love everything about it though I own every volume of the manga so far so I fell in love with the series for a long while
Sep 29, 2022 3:35 PM
Apr 2022
well, it only becomes stale when you find it stale, this is subjective however objectively speaking the manga is adored so the story must be going strong still
Sep 29, 2022 3:45 PM
Aug 2021
Probably never for me, but comedy is subjective 🤷‍♂️
Sep 29, 2022 3:53 PM

May 2020
koshiguruma said:

this is technically a PG13 show, its just directed more towards kids
Sep 29, 2022 4:07 PM
Aug 2022
While the comedy is a major selling point the manga starts tackling some darker storylines, introduces new characters and explores Twilight’s past more which balances out the humor. I’m not sure how far into the manga this cour will go but the story definitely starts exploring different directions and tones imo
Sep 29, 2022 4:07 PM
Dec 2021
already has for me but maybe theyll change things up
Sep 29, 2022 4:45 PM

Feb 2010
I still lol at the manga when the new chapters arrive but I am a bit easily pleased
Sep 29, 2022 5:06 PM
Oct 2020
68 chapters in and it has not gone stale
Sep 29, 2022 5:19 PM
Jan 2021
I enjoy the humor, it just depends what you’re interested in. It’s the same kind of thing in every genre whether that’s the plot armor in shounen or repeated romance formulas. I don’t think it’s bad, it’s going to be insanely popular and lucrative as S1.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Sep 29, 2022 7:13 PM
May 2021
It’s better than the humor in demon slayer
Sep 29, 2022 8:29 PM

May 2009
It got stale for me halfway through the first season, but I don't watch it or really any anime for the comedy
IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED ODDTAXI OR SAIKI K I'LL BONK YOU IN THE HEAD

Sep 29, 2022 8:51 PM

Aug 2021
yeah, it’s like that in the manga pretty consistently throughout but around chapter 30 they start to open things up more and it’s not so repetitive in what they use for humor and there are a lot more aspects added to the story so if you make it through the first handful of episodes of cour 2 the humor will become less repetitive after that.
Sep 29, 2022 8:53 PM

May 2021
it got stale in the third episode of first season, it is just meme powdered content. Nonetheless humour is all about execution, if they somehow manag to learn how to do actual comedy instead of viral gags like they did in the last two episodes last season then it can be funny again

Sep 29, 2022 9:59 PM

Sep 2020
Actually one of the few things I agree with you about. The comedy isn't all that good anyway. Watching Loid act like a dad is cute, Anya being stupid is cute, and Yor blushing for no reason is cute but it’s not funny at all. The last episode was funny tho. That's the only reason I will watch season 2.

Fingers crossed for significant plot progression at least.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Sep 30, 2022 6:52 AM
Jun 2022
It was stale to begin with, you’re only now just realizing it
Sep 30, 2022 7:34 AM

Jul 2019
It's time to focus on the essence of the show: family. The comedy is just part of the overall product.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Sep 30, 2022 7:40 AM

Sep 2021
to be honest, it is still enjoyable to me although I'd feel like it keeps repeating the cycle of jokes/humor
Sep 30, 2022 9:37 PM

Oct 2013
CickNipolla said:

I'm not sure if it's a bait, but I wouldn't call a show as "directed more towards kids" where you have literally story about spies and country's officials doing sometimes nasty stuff or dunno, somebody like Yor (wicked assassin) being one of main characters, lol.
Sep 30, 2022 9:48 PM

May 2020
Adnash said:
CickNipolla said:

I'm not sure if it's a bait, but I wouldn't call a show as "directed more towards kids" where you have literally story about spies and country's officials doing sometimes nasty stuff or dunno, somebody like Yor (wicked assassin) being one of main characters, lol.

theres no way thats your criteria for whether a show is for kids or not.

spongebob depicts far worse stuff than spy x family, and its designed for 7 year olds lol
Sep 30, 2022 10:11 PM

Oct 2013
[quote=CickNipolla message=67601764]theres no way thats your criteria for whether a show is for kids or not./quote]
What if it's actually my criteria and other people's criteria as well? If somebody tells me about something directed more towards kids, then it's hard to think about elements usually marked as "more mature".

CickNipolla said:
spongebob depicts far worse stuff than spy x family, and its designed for 7 year olds lol

But no one mentioned SpongeBob.
Sep 30, 2022 11:06 PM
Jan 2021
Better than the shitty sex jokes in most anime
Oct 1, 2022 1:58 AM

Jun 2015
CickNipolla said:

Hey Chisato, I think your question is irrelevant. This show does have comedy, but its incorporated into a complex story line of characters who do not exist in a comedic story line. Its part of this shows charm that we can feel and indulge in silly moments, while the fate of all things peace relys on this put together family making it through all the ups and downs! And the story is so diverse in scope ive watched the eps where they go to the water park a few times and its brilliant. Fun, comedic but portent to the story line.

To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Oct 1, 2022 2:12 AM
Jun 2022
CickNipolla said:
koshiguruma said:

It's more of a family-friendly show and that is the reason it's so popular
it just appeals to anyone thats the point of the series
anyway if the humour keeps repeating like that it is going to get stale very quickly, have you saw family guy or south park? same thing
Oct 1, 2022 2:15 AM

May 2020
Roch2001 said:
CickNipolla said:

Hey Chisato, I think your question is irrelevant. This show does have comedy, but its incorporated into a complex story line of characters who do not exist in a comedic story line. Its part of this shows charm that we can feel and indulge in silly moments, while the fate of all things peace relys on this put together family making it through all the ups and downs! And the story is so diverse in scope ive watched the eps where they go to the water park a few times and its brilliant. Fun, comedic but portent to the story line.

spy x family a complex story huh? i cant imagine what steins;gate or evangelion is then
Oct 1, 2022 2:42 AM
Mar 2012
Things can be funny without being sexual or otherwise very adult-oriented. The characters all have their own quirks and I find the relationship dynamics hilarious. Just don't take it so seriously. It's lighthearted comedy with a slight dark side. Good family show.

Don't like it? Don't keep watching. It's that simple.
Oct 1, 2022 2:48 AM
Jan 2018
If if that happens, wholesomeness won't get stale.
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Oct 1, 2022 8:01 AM

Apr 2020
68 chapters in and it's still great.
Oct 1, 2022 8:08 AM
Oct 2019
The humor in this show is such that if you didn't like it in first parts then you're not going to like later as well. You'll have to drop it if you started getting bored already.
Oct 1, 2022 8:40 AM
Oct 2019
Better than ecchi horny jokes in a lot of Isekai Anime.
Oct 1, 2022 8:49 AM
Apr 2021
I actually like it
Oct 1, 2022 8:59 AM

Mar 2018
well i don't think it will get boring, at least for me

» Snowflake - Shihoko Hirata «
0:51 ─〇───── 4:54 ⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹  ↻

Traveler, Please enjoy your stay

Oct 1, 2022 9:05 AM

May 2021
I feel like the humor is bound to get old and dull eventually unless they can change it up
Oct 1, 2022 9:09 AM
May 2021
Nah fr the comedy is nice in this series, sense of humour is objective so.
Oct 1, 2022 9:47 AM

Jan 2021
At around episode 4-5 of the first season.
Oct 1, 2022 10:07 AM
Sep 2022
CickNipolla said:

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. The serious parts of Loid is what I like the most.
Oct 1, 2022 10:23 AM

Jun 2017
Yor was quite funny in this episode but execution wasn't the best
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Oct 1, 2022 10:57 AM

Dec 2008
Even if the humour dries up and becomes tired there are still some amazing backgrounds and buildings to see, as well as that sense of menace that appears to be moving towards a war in their fictional world. Overall its an interesting show from a visual standpoint. Anya just makes it better.
May the Uguu be with you.

Oct 1, 2022 11:01 AM

Jan 2018
for me the humor got stale around episode 4 but I still watch it because, although I think the same about most animes with comedy
Oct 1, 2022 12:03 PM
Aug 2019
The humor in Spy x Family is one of the main selling points in my honest opinion.

The story finds a good balance between plot|character progression and SoL comedy moments.

Many writing blogs suggest to give your characters a few quirks that render them unique and likeable to the audience. Spy x Family has done exactly that and I think it works very well.

A lot of popular animes rely on repetitive humor but I'm hardly seeing anyone complain about it (just to name a few: Clannad, Kaguya-sama, Demon Slayer) and all of these gave their characters quirks that are being used repeatedly for the sake of creating a funny situation.

If the humor of Spy x Family doesn't appeal to you, well you know where to find the door, right? *insert Anja 'heh' face*
Oct 1, 2022 12:11 PM

Jul 2017
I never found SPY x FAMILY to be a 'funny' show by any means, but it's just such a good time for me to absorb myself with and enjoy regardless. I don't laugh out loud for comedy anime in general but I just want to have a fun and great time with them, and this series does a great job at that despite being a very simple series. It oozes charm and is fun, that's more I've gotten from this show than anything in the Summer season (not counting Kingdom S4's continuation). As a guy that struggles to find tons of anime fun nowadays, this is fun for me to want to watch episodes now and later on.
Oct 1, 2022 12:29 PM

May 2020
welp, the humor got stale.

anya made the same 3 faces about 10 different times, and yor is still a copy and paste of what she was from s1
Oct 1, 2022 12:30 PM
Oct 2022
CickNipolla said:
Adnash said:

theres no way thats your criteria for whether a show is for kids or not.

this anime is cringe from the first ep
Oct 1, 2022 2:32 PM
Feb 2022
Personally, when reading the manga, the humor became stale for me about after like 40 chapters, now I think the series can still be occasionally funny, but I don't laugh as much as I did before while reading the series. I still think that Spy x Family is an above average anime and manga overall, but I think the comedy becomes pretty hit or miss as it continues in my personal opinion.
Oct 1, 2022 2:39 PM

Jun 2013
It got stale halfway through the first season, I couldn't finish it. It's always like that with comedies: Dragon Maid, Grand Blue, Nichijou etc., they start really strong and after few eps it feels like authors ran out of jokes. Somehow, only Gintama stays funny the whole time.
Oct 1, 2022 2:40 PM
Aug 2020
I’m a manga reader, and I’ve found myself dying of laughter in 40-50 chapters. I don’t know if my humor is stale or this show’s humor never gets old for me.
Oct 1, 2022 2:55 PM
Nov 2020
It’s already stale for me, but I don’t care. I’ll keep watching any SxF content because I find it cute/wholesome.
Oct 1, 2022 2:56 PM
Apr 2020
Nikki777 said:
It’s better than the humor in demon slayer

demon slayer has some other amazing selling points which sxf couldnt even hope to compare.

THIS is a comedy show. so repetetive comedy is a much bigger issue in this case
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2022

361 by enessenpai0 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2022

221 by FoodFan364 »»
May 9, 9:00 AM

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2022

254 by boumboumboum »»
May 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Softhenic03 - Dec 17, 2022

256 by enessenpai0 »»
May 7, 7:03 AM

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 12, 2022

254 by Myzt2 »»
Apr 20, 6:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.