Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 4, 2015 11:08 AM

Jan 2013
What a great episode, one of the best in the whole series.
Nov 4, 2015 12:15 PM

Sep 2014
Great episode indeed, but animation was really off at some points..
Nov 4, 2015 4:12 PM

May 2010
Man, this arc is harsh! It may be the same formula as always, but I love it nevertheless, maybe because Oikura is creepy af. Her seiyuu did great job with her, she sounds like she could break down anytime @_@
Nov 5, 2015 12:42 AM

Jan 2009
Now THIS was amazing. Everything was good in this episode, but what stood out most for me were the lighting and backgrounds.
Nov 5, 2015 7:02 AM
Apr 2012
Didn't Nadeko

My memory isn't the best, so I was surprised to see her. Can someone shed some light on that?
Nov 5, 2015 7:04 AM

Nov 2013
JayDrink said:
Didn't Nadeko

My memory isn't the best, so I was surprised to see her. Can someone shed some light on that?

No, Nadeko didn't die XD, she turned back into a normal girl after Kaiki talked to her.
Also, this arc is set right after Tsubasa Tiger, but before the Nadeko arcs in the Second Season.
Nov 5, 2015 7:05 AM

Jul 2013
JayDrink said:
Didn't Nadeko

That arc happens before that.
Nov 5, 2015 8:06 AM
Apr 2012
Thanks for clarifying, you guys. Like I said, my memory is terrible, I need to rewatch all seasons.. The first season of any show is always great if only for the nostalgia factor. :3
Nov 5, 2015 10:39 PM

Oct 2011
OMG she gave me chills 0___0
Nov 6, 2015 12:17 AM

Aug 2013
lonelytree said:
silvercover said:

why are you still watching monogatari then dude?

thats like someone watching naruto even though they hate power fighting friendship and whatnot.

he says that every week.

He literally does. Not even an exaggeration. It's actually kind of pathetic.

Then when people call him out on it, he'll say something like "when I bash other shows no one cares, but Monogatari fans cant take people being 'critical' of their show".
Nov 6, 2015 3:45 AM

Jul 2014
Jonesy974 said:
lonelytree said:

he says that every week.

He literally does. Not even an exaggeration. It's actually kind of pathetic.

Then when people call him out on it, he'll say something like "when I bash other shows no one cares, but Monogatari fans cant take people being 'critical' of their show".

I literally only said that one time, and I didn't even mention Monogatari fans, just that I can give criticisms of other shows I don't like and no one has a problem with that, but some people call me a troll if I do the same with Monogatari.

And even if I did say that Monogatari fans are like that, such a sweeping generalization would likely include all Monogatari fans, and even implying that would be immature, disrespectful and unfair to everyone who isn't like that.

But whatever, I'm sorry for being so uninformed that I use the episode discussion threads to say my opinion on the episodes as I do with every other show. Clearly, this was a grave error on my part.
D-ohnutsNov 6, 2015 4:58 AM
Nov 6, 2015 7:15 AM

Apr 2014
^lol this try hard under 100 anime watched really trying to troll to his max potential
Nov 6, 2015 7:23 AM

Jun 2015
VA performance is top-tier here.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2015 8:07 AM

Jul 2014
moodie said:
^lol this try hard under 100 anime watched really trying to troll to his max potential

Talk about a pot calling the kettle black...
Nov 6, 2015 10:34 AM

Mar 2010
This episode is probably the perfect example of my problems with Monogatari. One sided conversation, long winded monologue deliberating on the character's motivations, insecurities, and backstory without any tact or real solid provocation that actually makes the reveal climatic or powerful along with the teetering of emotions that don't seem justified, and the dialogue just comes off so unnatural. It hit me like a bludgeoning by a hockey stick throughout its runtime.
Nov 6, 2015 12:42 PM

Apr 2014
TonyTheme said:
This episode is probably the perfect example of my problems with Monogatari. One sided conversation, long winded monologue deliberating on the character's motivations, insecurities, and backstory without any tact or real solid provocation that actually makes the reveal climatic or powerful along with the teetering of emotions that don't seem justified, and the dialogue just comes off so unnatural. It hit me like a bludgeoning by a hockey stick throughout its runtime.
im guessing u never had a conversation with a person who is either depressed or has mental problems
Nov 6, 2015 2:11 PM

Mar 2010
"An actual person could possibly resemble this portrayal in some way, therefore it's A-OK." That's what I got from your round about and presumptuous reply. Stop. No excuse for poor form because you think it shows some insight (...) into depression, especially given how my comments are not unique to this episode or that mind state. Monogatari has done better than this. Sorry, I'm not lapping it up and praising its use of head tilt.
Nov 6, 2015 2:24 PM

Feb 2008
Araragi's vampire powers sure are handy. Hanekawa was even sharper than usual, as well. And Oikura, well, was a bit less crazy than in the previous episodes. Completely understandable, though, given her situation.
Nov 6, 2015 2:34 PM

Nov 2013
TonyTheme said:

Ehm, I actually agree, to a certain extent. Monogatari has always been a bit anticlimatic, and Oikura's monologue was the perfect example: instead of building up to a powerful conclusion, it has the same tone and emotional impact from the start, and... to put it simply... it's too long. After all that time, the quick resolution left me asking "That was it?", and the fact that Hanekawa was suddenly acting so friendly towards her, while justified by the similarities of their own backstories, doesn't feel natural and "earned". Did they even talk on-screen before this episode?
My least favorite 20-minutes-long monologue is still the one in Hanamonogatari, though.
Nov 6, 2015 4:48 PM

Aug 2015
Lollo36 said:
JayDrink said:
Didn't Nadeko

No, Nadeko didn't die XD, she turned back into a normal girl after Kaiki talked to her.
Also, this arc is set right after Tsubasa Tiger, but before the Nadeko arcs in the Second Season.

don't you mean
Nov 7, 2015 9:08 PM

Feb 2010
OMG this episode is sooo brilliant ,expecially Sodachi's VA!

Hanekawa is awesome in this episode too
the tragedy, how broken Sodachi's mental state really make me want to know what happens next

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Nov 8, 2015 6:39 AM

Oct 2008
Sodachi's a Lost cause!
Pettanko for the WIN!
4/5.

Nov 15, 2015 12:22 AM

Jul 2013
Sodachi is so strangely hot.

There's always something about crazy girls like her or Shimoneta's Anna.
Nov 21, 2015 5:10 PM

Feb 2013
That girl has "issues" and she knows it. This episode was a lot more depressing than this anime usually has... still really good.
Dec 21, 2015 9:30 AM

May 2012
Quite the dark episode if you ask me, but this one really had some great character development! Let's see what happens next!
Jan 8, 2016 3:45 AM

Jan 2013
BurntJelly said:
That girl has "issues" and she knows it. This episode was a lot more depressing than this anime usually has... still really good.

Agreed, allthough the conversation itself felt a bit "off" ...
Anyhow, love how Araragi managed to heal the swelling with his vampiric blood that fast :D
Jan 15, 2016 7:21 PM

Sep 2014
Desertion then despair. That's what Oikura is made of. EP 5.

Plot: Koyomi and Hanekawa learn of Oikura's past. Her family life was abusive, and despite her efforts to get Koyomi to help, they failed. Her parents divorced. Her Mother got custody but went into a depressive spiral and then disappeared from her life. Oikura is now kinda messed up and doesn't want to be happy. Koyomi tries to get through to her and in the end, she asks him to find her missing mother.

CHaracter: Whoo boy. Sure is a lot of parental abuse in this show. I do think Oikura needs to chill even if I feel bad for her. And Hanekawa was right. You can't make an unhappy person happy if they don't want to be.

Koyomi has an uphill battle.

Animation/sound: The house and Oikura's backstory was messy and dark. Congrats on her VA containing all the right kinds of crazy and emotionally defeated.

3/5. Okay but I do think it was a bit long.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jan 21, 2016 3:08 AM
Jan 2013
The emotion in this episode (and Sodachi's VAing) is so damn powerful, I'm platinum impressed!
Jan 25, 2016 10:56 AM

Apr 2014
After watching Hana and Tsuki, Owari is a huge refresher showing me that Shaft still has the series down. I haven't been emotionally invested in the Monogatari series in quite a while so Oikura's story was a pleasant surprise. The Monogatari series is like a child to me, having watched it grow over time, with its highs (Bake and Second Season) and its lows (Hana and Tsuki imo) and Im so afraid of seeing it end as the first part of Kizu has finally been aired.

One thing I have always been taught is that you can gain a greater appreciation for events in novels (this anime originated from one) In that regard, if Ougi had come to see Oikura instead of Hanekawa, I imagine things would have been particularly messy, and I don't think that a resolution would have been gleaned. The similarities between the difficult family situations that Oikura and Hamekawa share truly add another layer of depth to this part of the story.

Jan 26, 2016 10:14 AM

Sep 2015
Another excellent episode! Sodachi's Voice Actress was superb there, omg!
Feb 15, 2016 2:25 AM

Nov 2013
her story is similar to Hitagi and Hanekawa, hard and creepy, the only difference is that she haven't turned into an aberration. Remember that Hanekawa doesn't have parents and doesn't even have a room, remember Koyomi's reaction on Hanekawa home, Tsukihi should've comfort him.

So Hanekawa and Hitagi should sympatize Sodachi hard actually. I don't know how Hanekawa should've felt hearing Sodachi story but she was way too calm. And what's with her super reaction and with that blood drop, did she some mumbo-jumbo related to her neko self?

Just to think of it, for Koyomi that time when they met at ruined house was happy summer break time and for Sodachi it was hell on earth...

Also I don't understand why Koyomi asked Sengoku, he could ask his sisters or parents, and as I understand Owarimonogatari chronologically is before Hana and Tsuki, before second season.

PS little Koyomi x Tsukihi x Karen were so kawaii <3
I don't have siblings but my first cousin is an orphan and my mother adopted her so she lived with us and we were like siblings so I can relate to that heh
tsundereharasserFeb 15, 2016 2:36 AM
Mar 22, 2016 9:23 AM
Jul 2018
Sodachi's story reminded me of Senjou and Hanekawa, coincidentally my two other female favorites from the series, but jeez, her voice delivery… the voice actress, was superb. I can relate to the having a negligent/nasty mother aspect from a personal standpoint, so my heart welled. Although Araragi and Tsubasa after also brought a tear to my eye. I don't understand why people pan Sodachi as a character so much, is it because of her lesser screentime and dissociation with the supernatural? She's nasty, but at the same time, given her circumstances, given her disorder as a result of being immersed in chaos and hate, I think most people wouldn't be too nice after that either. It's no justification, but a fair observation, it's difficult to place oneself in the shoes of an abused person attempting to heal from the hurt, and just how difficult that is in any degree. If your mother went around berating you then ignoring you, saying things along the lines of "I wish you were never born" "I wish you were born someone else", and then proceeded to neglect you… that mentally fries a person. Maybe it's my own shitty family relationships intervening here, but I have great sympathy for Sodachi, she wants to better herself, she can't shoulder the burdensome memories of hurt alone.

I actually teared up. Damn anime, stop making me emote.
removed-userMar 22, 2016 9:26 AM
Jun 5, 2016 6:57 PM

Feb 2014
Lollo36 said:
JayDrink said:
Didn't Nadeko

Oh... I see.... I was confusing because Araragi wasn't reluctant about talking with Nadeko...? So I was wondering: why he was calling to her and they were talking as if nothing had happened?

I was sure that this ARC (Sadochi Lost) was happening in the present... because in epsiode 04 Aragari and Ougi was chatting and Araragi said "And then she (Oikura) CAME BACK here 2 YEARS AGO....", so I deduced that now we were in the present..... but I guess I was wrong...? -.-"

Damn... sometimes monogatari series gets confused because they leap and back time all the time... so we do not get a continuous chronology line....

Anyway, I'm glad I was able to see "my" kawaii Nadeko again... S2 Sure this is far to be enough.... hehe ^_^

By the way, Hanekawa saying "I like you" at the end was a little... forced for me...
TechOtakuJun 5, 2016 7:33 PM
Jun 29, 2016 3:51 AM

Jul 2008
Hanakawa for the win!

Ougi would have destroyed them both if she went.
Sep 8, 2016 3:21 PM

Oct 2012
Wow, what an episode. One small room and such a drama.

Can't say I like girls like Sodachi in the real life as they won't be happy no matter what you do, doubting about themselves all the time and having suicidal thoughts. But even that it was great mirror into lives of those who are like that and insight for those who aren't.

Also, great "coincidence" Tsubasa was here as it was great contrast to have someone who went through similiar experience with her family on the scene. I say contrast because Tsubasa was saved but Sodachi wasn't. One had Araragi be there for her and other didn't.
Even though it's not Araragi fault at all.

In the end we got impossible request as her mother is clearly dead. I bet it's Sodachi's last attempt to hold onto her familiar despair keeping herself from infamiliarity of happy life.

Now I really wonder if two of them are even able to save her.
Oct 3, 2016 11:24 AM

Apr 2013
Lots of Sodachi backstory, still wanna see if Hanekawa keeps her promise or not :P
Nov 3, 2016 11:28 AM
Oct 2015
My Mom broke it to my dad two weeks ago that she wants a divorce and moved out yesterday. Sodachi's trauma is something so relatable to me I broke down after watching this episode. Nisioisin understands the human experience on such a fundamental level its chilling. Bravo sir, and well done on Shaft's part for using perfect visuals to communicate Sodachi's headspace.
Dec 9, 2016 7:36 AM

Sep 2015
The voice acting was definitely well done. I would've loved to see more of Oikura like .. She needed to be in Bakemonogatari & Monogatari Second Season :3
Apr 5, 2017 12:47 PM

Jul 2013
That was a very well put together episode. Rlly intense.
Nov 2, 2017 10:31 AM

Jun 2016
The reason why Oikura knows about Araragi's parents' profession is because when they were little, his parents brought her with them like letting her live with them to take her away from her parents. No wonder Sengoku was mentioned in this arc because she saw Oikura at Araragi's house when they were little. Finally, she's relevant. Lmao. Oikura was glaring (creepily glaring jesus) at them because she can't believe such family exists, so she left their house and went back to her house. But afterwards she wanted to make her family like the Araragi's and it made her situation worse because her parents thought she was being rebellious, so they beat her more up.

Jeez, I really feel bad for Oikura. :/ She was screaming for help, but Araragi didn't hear her, so it hurts her so much when Araragi didn't remember her at all when they became classmates in middle school again. No wonder she despised him.

"Where it wouldn't be seen on me, the parts of me that weren't visible, were all pummeled."

What does that mean? Was she molested like she was sexual abused by her own parents? Ohmygod. Someone enlightened me. Oikuraaaaa. ;-;

But the mystery behind her mother's disappearance made me feel like Ougi has something to do with it. Waaaaah. The room was pitch black, the door was locked, the windows were boarded, so there's no way her mother managed to get away from that room without destroying the boarded windows.

Little Araragi, little Tsukihi, and little Karen gave this episode a lot of light. Waaaah. So fucking cute. ;-;
TheDoggoneGirlNov 2, 2017 10:34 AM

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Nov 7, 2017 7:21 AM
Nov 2015
Good episode. Not really adding anything new to the broken family-abandoned child theme, but I like how Sadachi is appropriately neurotic but relatable and genuinely pitiful. Plus, I love love love the seiyuu's work on Sodachi.
I found Araragi's savior punchlines really embarrassing to hear.
May 7, 2018 3:53 PM

Aug 2015
That was dark. Hanekawa had it rough but this was much worse.
Sep 3, 2018 11:54 AM

May 2017
wow.. emotional episode..

That's a fucked up childhood Oikura had. A Father that beats her mother, the mother out of frustration then beats her. As if that wasn't enough, the mother completely shuts her off and ignores her and eventually just leaves without saying anything.. That's so sad, imagine your mother or father just one day leaves without saying anything.

It must hurt a lot to get taken in by a family that's living under such happy circumstances, seeing them all be happy and cheerful as someone that has been through hell with a broken family.

She then says that it's really not araragi's fault that she's so unhappy. She just didn't want all her hatred and unhappiness to be caused by her own parents. She wanted someone besides her parents that she can put the blame on.. I can't blame her, after all what kind of life are you living when all the hate inside of you and all the unhappiness is caused by your parents? It is much easier to hate someone else.

Sep 20, 2018 2:45 AM

May 2018
Wow, what an amazing episode!

I loved the dialogues with Oikura, what a fucking life ...

5/5
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Apr 30, 2019 7:29 AM

Dec 2016
Damn Oikura has had a pretty hard life, to the point where it definitely seems to have mentally affected her at least in some ways
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 30, 2019 8:59 PM
Apr 2016
Might be one of my favorite episodes in the entire series, goddamn I couldn't look away, that was just...strong (?) yes, strong. Good episode, really good episode.
May 24, 2019 5:55 AM

Dec 2018
I'd say Oikura's life is more miserable than Tsubasa's life. Maybe if Tsubasa experience the same level of miserable like Oikura's , she'd stopped acting as a virtuous person.

My guess would be Oikura's mother had already become an apparition.As so far we haven't seen anything about apparition.And it wouldn't be Monogatari if there's no apparition.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Aug 18, 2019 12:54 AM

May 2015
The way Sodachi was talking and the ost made my body shudder.
I wanted to hug her with all my might.
Oct 5, 2019 4:22 AM

Jul 2016
Oikura has one of the creepiest voices ever. Jesus Christ
Nov 10, 2019 4:49 AM

Jun 2017
Well, Sodachi was in her pajamas this whole episode, not to mention that she is in fact a twin-tailed haired girl, it's very rewarding. Anyway, I pity what has happened to her and I hope that she moves on, even if little by little, not that I know anything though, good episode 5/5.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

146 by TheColonel76 »»
May 15, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2015

211 by TheColonel76 »»
May 15, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2015

172 by TheColonel76 »»
May 14, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

154 by TheColonel76 »»
May 8, 6:19 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2015

197 by TheColonel76 »»
May 8, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.