Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 4, 2015 8:22 PM

Oct 2012
Alittan said:
Question though, when does this take place? After Monogatari 2nd Season? Or between Tsukimonogatari and Hanamonogatari? At first I thought it might be before 2nd season because
, so I'm not sure.

In October, before Otorimonogatari (Nadeko Medusa) so is after Tsubasa Tiger
Oct 4, 2015 9:10 PM

Feb 2010
mangalicker94 said:
LOL, damn what a weird mysterious/detective ep. I liked it. Hmm, I hope all the ep. will be 48 min. :D

Owarimonogataritokatanagatari no yuugo
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
Oct 4, 2015 10:29 PM
Nov 2012
im annoyed they animated Hanamonogatari first tho, as chronological sequel it has quite some indirect spoilers on Ougi.
Oct 5, 2015 12:01 AM

Nov 2014
I feel so realized for the fact that I was able to get the culprit right on this first episode. I was a little bit lost at the beginning, but that is normal, the dialogs are so amazing that you can take the different inputs of information in many different ways, as long as you follow the order of events and organize the ones that are related to the main topic you might come with the answer at the end. Ougi and Koyomi should start their own Detective duo in "Futagotamagawa".
Oct 5, 2015 1:12 AM

Jun 2009
I just like how this season focuses on Ougi. She's by far one of the most interesting characters in the Monogatari series and it's just nice to see her being the center of it.

Oct 5, 2015 3:01 AM

Sep 2014
BRILLIANT start to Owarimonogatari! It doesn't even feel like it's been close to a year since the last one. I'm sure this one will be great too.
Oct 5, 2015 3:09 AM

Oct 2007
Wings said:
This is my first exposure to the franchise, and I really don't get all the hype; so much dialogue so fast.

You realize that people are going to flip their shit on you for saying you don't like it right?
Oct 5, 2015 3:11 AM

Feb 2015
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Wings said:
This is my first exposure to the franchise, and I really don't get all the hype; so much dialogue so fast.

You realize that people are going to flip their shit on you for saying you don't like it right?

Ah yes,people will completely be able to comprehend a story by starting from the middle of it and thus form their own substantial opinion about it.People nowadays have great inference skills after all.
Oct 5, 2015 3:14 AM

Oct 2007
laidellent said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Ah yes,people will completely be able to comprehend a story by starting from the middle of it and thus form their own substantial opinion about it.People nowadays have great inference skills after all.

Even if he'd said he'd started from the beginning if he didn't like it their people would flip their shit on him and you know it.
Oct 5, 2015 3:16 AM

Feb 2015
Kaioshin_Sama said:
laidellent said:

Even if he'd said he'd started from the beginning if he didn't like it their people would flip their shit on him and you know it.

Thats your own projection,if he is really interested let him watch it in the intended order and even after that he doesn't like it,then its perfectly fine.
Oct 5, 2015 3:19 AM

Oct 2007
laidellent said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Thats your own projection,if he is really interested let him watch it in the intended order and even after that he doesn't like it,then its perfectly fine.

That's....a surprisingly decent, reasonable and tolerant thing to say.
Oct 5, 2015 7:55 AM

Jun 2015
Zeando said:

the teacher in the end did cheat the test of her students cause in japan the quality of a teacher is measured on the results of her students
(which should make questionable to have the same teacher designing the tests... that was very odd)

It's not just Japan. Teachers rigging tests have become more common in the US as well. No Child Left Behind resulted in a lot of accountability for student performance being placed on the teacher. Student scores on standardized tests can control the teacher's pay and even result in dismissal of the teacher.
Oct 5, 2015 9:24 AM
Jun 2011
Minizav said:
im annoyed they animated Hanamonogatari first tho, as chronological sequel it has quite some indirect spoilers on Ougi.

But even the novel for Hana came out before the novels for Owari, so it's intentional that we're just now seeing this. The only real big thing that's been animated out of order is Kizu, but we'll finally be getting that soon.
Oct 5, 2015 9:56 AM

Mar 2014
Vindstot said:
I see quite a few people are still confused about when this arc takes place. Refer to this post for better clarification.

Great stuff, thanks :) so before the Nadeko part. Makes sense, since in Nadeko Arc

It's cool to see the first time they met in this episode.

Introduced by Kanbaru no less.
Oct 5, 2015 11:12 AM

Apr 2015
NON STOP DEBATE

Reminds me of Danganronpa :D
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

My anime list
My manga list
Oct 5, 2015 11:54 AM

Dec 2013
40 minutes in a fucking classroom
pls
with that ugly girl on top of that

better bring back good ol' grills which made the franchise good or i'm dropping this
Oct 5, 2015 12:01 PM

Jun 2015
Hazuk4shii said:
pls

better bring back good ol' grills which made the franchise good or i'm dropping this

Different strokes for different folks.

I loved the episode. So did a lot of other people.
Oct 5, 2015 12:32 PM

Jul 2014
It's good to finally have caught up with the rest of the series to finally be able to get started with this. If I'm honest, this is probably up there as one of my favourite episodes of the Monogatari series as a whole. At the very least, this was one of the more visually pleasing episodes of the series as a whole. More screentime for Ougi is something I'm glad to see as well; she's still quite a mysterious character as far as I'm concerned, so seeing more of her like this is great. And that new girl Oikura seems like she could add something interesting, especially considering how she's probably changed in the 2 years since the incident. Sure, it was predictable that she'd return given how much she was focused on in the flashback to the debate, but it still gave me an "oh shit" kind of feeling when Hanekawa mentioned her name at the end.

Can't wait for more. The OP and ED are both great as well.
Oct 5, 2015 2:10 PM
Apr 2015
Xenocrisi said:
At first, this was confusing as fuck (as always) but in the second half everything got really interesting.
Now episode 2 wuhuuu

same
Oct 5, 2015 2:26 PM
Feb 2015
Guys thanks for the explanation regarding Eulers Identity.
However I think it's taking this thing up from the wrong side.
The term e^i*pi is imaginary due to i. It results in -1. But isn't it the case that the imaginary part is only 0 due to +1.
You could say one is the cause for the imaginary part or?
At least that's how it's always in the Monogatari series.
nnnikOct 5, 2015 2:31 PM
Oct 5, 2015 3:03 PM

Apr 2015
This is the first I've seen of the Monogatari series, and it was absolutely excellent. I hope it continues to be that way.

Watching this episode brought to mind how the school system is run in Japan vs where I grew up (Canada). Here, the teachers don't have nearly as much pressure to have students get high marks - I don't think things like salary and advancement are linked to marks at all. Also, in anime they often show a list of students marks publicly. That could never happen here; allowing students to know other students' marks is considered unethical.
Oct 5, 2015 5:34 PM
Jan 2015
Without spoiling anything, Ougi knows way more than he/she should.
Oct 6, 2015 1:37 AM

Jun 2012
stephen5000 said:
This is the first I've seen of the Monogatari series, and it was absolutely excellent. I hope it continues to be that way.

Watching this episode brought to mind how the school system is run in Japan vs where I grew up (Canada). Here, the teachers don't have nearly as much pressure to have students get high marks - I don't think things like salary and advancement are linked to marks at all. Also, in anime they often show a list of students marks publicly. That could never happen here; allowing students to know other students' marks is considered unethical.

Well that's pretty much how the rest of the world handles it. Japans education system is just horrible.

@topic: Ah Monogatari at its finest. I like the very human evil in this arc.
Oct 6, 2015 3:11 AM

Feb 2011
Dariamus said:
Zeando said:
the teacher in the end did cheat the test of her students cause in japan the quality of a teacher is measured on the results of her students
(which should make questionable to have the same teacher designing the tests... that was very odd)

It's not just Japan. Teachers rigging tests have become more common in the US as well. No Child Left Behind resulted in a lot of accountability for student performance being placed on the teacher. Student scores on standardized tests can control the teacher's pay and even result in dismissal of the teacher.

which on one side is a great thing (standardized tests and accountability, not the cheating), in less strict systems there are always useless teachers who with their incompetence cause much more deep problems to the future(professional or not) of their students, and usually are impossible to get removed (talking about public school systems), having a system to detect and kick them out is an improvement

the cheating is more the result of a faulty application/execution (the judge should never be allowed to judge themselfes or make the rules they make the judgement on)
that's why a teacher being able to design the tests of their own students is not appropriate for a system like that (but it's fine when there is no accountability)

also, remember japan also had a ranking of schools, cause the same score result can have different weight/value according to the school (should be similar in the US private schools too, there are some more prestigious schools and some less)
which can be related to the strictness those rules are applied, and how rarely cheating happens (less cheating=more value to the scores=more prestige for the school)

the other side of the matter is the ammount of pressure to succeed, both students and teachers, get under, which is not really healthy

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Oct 6, 2015 4:00 AM

Dec 2009
That was a handful of an episode. Really liked the dialogue in this one especially with the whole 'Majority rule turning our mistakes into truth' concept. Found that really interesting.
Oct 6, 2015 8:26 AM

Dec 2010
*mind blown*

This eps was gripping from the start to the end. I literally held my breath at the big reveal.
Oct 6, 2015 12:59 PM

Jul 2015
Ougi has no gender specifically? iirc when she/he was in a bike wearing a male uniform from second series
Oct 6, 2015 1:49 PM

Aug 2014
Kaioshin_Sama said:
laidellent said:

That's....a surprisingly decent, reasonable and tolerant thing to say.

Woah, this is not the starting point XD. Start from bake and everything will be good. It's one of those love or hate series.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Oct 6, 2015 2:08 PM

Jun 2015
black1blade said:
It's one of those love or hate series.

^This

You'll either love the series or hate it.
Neither is right or wrong, just personal preference.
Oct 6, 2015 7:52 PM

Mar 2013
This new monogatari series starts with a 2ep-length special. I'm impressed that the whole Ougi Formula was covered in roughly 50 minutes. They just highlighted the most useful/important parts; that's a typical monogatari style of adaptation.

The story takes place on the first time Araragi met Ougi, being introduced by Kanbaru.
We got to see a new girl, Oikura, Araragi's classmate (since 1st yr). She's the first girl to dramatically change Araragi's lifestyle.

Oh, and Hanekawa is here, too. Araragi still got the best view of her...opp--

Ougi being a troll as usual; asking questions then answering it anyway. But she did good on narrowing up the clues to make a good conclusion (which Araragi already know anyway).

OP is sung by Ougi's VA. some sort of a party-hard beat at first. ED was fine I guess.

Next ep will be the start of Sodachi Riddle. We might see some Senjougahara action!

Oct 6, 2015 9:25 PM
May 2015
BORING..........
Oct 6, 2015 11:06 PM

Nov 2013
I've always liked Ougi. Nice 1st ep. Good to see her/him got so much screen time.

I'm still considering whether to watch this weekly or marathon it after the final episode aired. Sometimes it feels like nothing happened if u only watch 1 episode of monogatari.
Oct 7, 2015 3:10 AM

Nov 2008
Yes, more monogatari goodness <3 Really loved the lenghty first episode, can't wait for more~~
Oct 7, 2015 5:56 AM

May 2008
Great first ep. I was fast asleep 1/2 way in.. so idk what happened.. but it was definitely more Monogatari. :P
lol
I need to rewatch that 2nd half. I apparently was way too tired.
Oct 7, 2015 11:12 AM

Jun 2013
dear god wtf did I just watch?

I could almost feel my mind melting as the voices kept going on and on and on and on inside my head...

never really noticed Ougi as a character of any significance till now.. maybe im missing something?
Oct 7, 2015 11:43 AM

Jun 2015
CrimsonTsuki said:

I could almost feel my mind melting as the voices kept going on and on and on and on inside my head...

never really noticed Ougi as a character of any significance till now.. maybe im missing something?

Wait until you find her true nature and significance.

Neither has been revealed at this point in time. Chronologically, this was Araragi's first time meeting her.
Oct 7, 2015 1:39 PM
Dec 2012
I thought Ougi was very charming and friendly, and I really like her voice and how she talks.

But ANN's review has a completely different impression:
Ougi has been positioned as Monogatari's most clear antagonist for a while now, a seemingly inhuman figure who exists to prod at the insecurities of the main cast and unintentionally lead them to ruin. Trapped in a room with Araragi, she becomes his personal tormentor, attacking his ideals, his past fears, and even his sense of personal security.

Ougi oozes confidence and ridicule, with her singsong lines alternately lightly mocking Araragi's feelings or driving in the knife. She echoes lines other characters have earnestly imparted on Araragi - “all people can do is save themselves,” “there's no need for you to shoulder so much,” etcetera - but in her voice, these lines become empty jokes.

The threat of Ougi is also nicely represented through her physicality, as her snakelike motions, unblinking eyes, and constant impositions into Araragi's proximity make her a looming presence even when the show isn't actively casting her shadow halfway across the room or framing shots from beneath her corpse-white chin.

Do I have very odd taste or is Nick Creamer misunderstanding things? I never once thought there was anything sinister about Ougi.

Edit: I went back and looked at some of the comments here, and it seems most people think she's a creepy, unnerving character who is antagonistic towards Araragi. I honestly never got that impression during the episode, and I never thought of her that way in past seasons either.
2weeaboo4uOct 7, 2015 1:52 PM
Oct 7, 2015 1:49 PM

Dec 2013
CrimsonTsuki said:

Yes, you are missing, quite a lot actually if you really think so.
Oct 7, 2015 5:20 PM

Mar 2009
That was an incredibly dull start to Owarimonogatari, and I hope it gets a lot better. So far, Monogatari S2 remains my favorite. The way that the story broke down and deconstructed the characters - Nadeko, especially - was brilliant. Quite a few twists thrown in, too. I hope Owari can reach the highs of Monogatari S2. And hey, if not, at least it'll never be as terrible as Nisemonogatari.

That said, Ougi seems interesting. And I'm curious about the new girl, and her role in the main story.
Oct 7, 2015 9:10 PM

Nov 2014
This series hacked my brain but... oh well love it so much!
Hanekawa is on screen :3 Wait to see Senjougahara
Ougi has passed my expectation XD Seem like she knows everything... but like she said "I don't know" LOL
But...
she is... SHE, right? :3
Oct 7, 2015 11:38 PM

Apr 2011
Great 1st episode.
The conversation and story is really enchanting and doing a good job of keeping me always focused haha.
Love Ougi mysterious atmosphere and the way she teases Araragi.
Oct 8, 2015 2:46 AM

Jan 2009
Fascinating as always. Great to monogataries back on Watching-list.

Off to a good start with the long episode!
Oct 8, 2015 8:16 AM

Nov 2011
Beacuse stay awake after about 48 minutes of dialogue, never a break. Despite the beauty and complexity in beating about the bush, he was getting one bit sleepy. Luckily I held out and I "enjoyed" the whole episode. What to say? Fantastic, the cliffhanger is interesting and the solution to the case, very intriguing and consistent.
Oct 8, 2015 10:01 AM

Sep 2010
MathStory
Oct 8, 2015 11:35 AM

Sep 2011
The amount of 1/5 is rather disturbing...
Oct 8, 2015 11:58 AM

May 2015
Zeando said:
Dariamus said:

which on one side is a great thing (standardized tests and accountability, not the cheating), in less strict systems there are always useless teachers who with their incompetence cause much more deep problems to the future(professional or not) of their students, and usually are impossible to get removed (talking about public school systems), having a system to detect and kick them out is an improvement

the cheating is more the result of a faulty application/execution (the judge should never be allowed to judge themselfes or make the rules they make the judgement on)
that's why a teacher being able to design the tests of their own students is not appropriate for a system like that (but it's fine when there is no accountability)

also, remember japan also had a ranking of schools, cause the same score result can have different weight/value according to the school (should be similar in the US private schools too, there are some more prestigious schools and some less)
which can be related to the strictness those rules are applied, and how rarely cheating happens (less cheating=more value to the scores=more prestige for the school)

the other side of the matter is the ammount of pressure to succeed, both students and teachers, get under, which is not really healthy

Since it was never said if the teacher was a good teacher or a bad one, I'll guess that it was seniority that was pressuring the young teacher to rig her tests. When you have so many years under your belt as a teacher in a lot of US school systems you are pretty much set and they can't fire you, and I bet you she was competing against older teachers. Add to this how much Japan values staying with one company and it's no surprise why the teacher changed her tests. If she didn't turn out high results, she probably would have been fired and shamed her entire family. Not going to excuse what she did but just to throw that out there.

My mother is a teacher and the seniority rule is the thing she likes to complain about the most. It's understandable; if I had to deal with incompetent coworkers who could not get fired, I'd be pissed about it too.
Oct 8, 2015 6:28 PM

Sep 2013
Uhhhh i'm confused. Ougi Formula takes place after Hanekawa's hair color changed. Why is her hair still the same at the end? I don't really remember but in tsubasa tiger she said something about dying it once in awhile right?
Fortune favors the bold. I weep for the sheep.
Oct 8, 2015 7:24 PM

Nov 2014
Hazuk4shii said:
pls

Are you being serious? this show in specific isn't meant for you to stare at the heroines… use your brain
Oct 8, 2015 11:37 PM
Mar 2015
Oxalias said:
yAleksandr17 said:

Are you being serious? this show in specific isn't meant for you to stare at the heroines… use your brain
I think he needs to get back to watching hentai
it reminds me "12 angry man" plot.

First episode, 1 hour,a classroom,a dialogue.
Restricted interpretation brings about impressive drama. I can find director's challenging spirits in this.

(But they talk with many japanese wits. possibly it may interrupt understanding of non-japanese watcher.)すべては教室の中、1時間の劇が終わる。 12 angry manの演出に近いものを感じた。第一話放送、40分、教室、会話劇。挑戦的な監督のやる気を感じる。しかし日本語のウィットが多いからなぁ
naoya2Oct 9, 2015 1:00 AM
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

146 by TheColonel76 »»
May 15, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2015

211 by TheColonel76 »»
May 15, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2015

171 by TheColonel76 »»
May 14, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2015

172 by TheColonel76 »»
May 14, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

154 by TheColonel76 »»
May 8, 6:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.