Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Feb 3, 2021 1:41 AM

Feb 2019
RobertBobert said:
I also noticed how emphasized and in-your-face the 'like a model' compliment was, but I thought it was another way to make it even clearer that 'she's very pretty, have we made it clear enough yet in these 20 minutes?'... I guess it could be what you said, I don't see anything blatantly against it for now. Even if I'm personally leaning to a gender quote unquote discomfort and 'what it means to be a girl vs what it means to be actually seen as one' interpretation now, it was just one episode.

I don't know if they'd put in the same small cast of 4 characters both a ex-junior idol and a model, because much of their career problems would overlap, although they did put a ridiculously rich girl, a hard character type to make the audience relate to, so anything is possible.

Dotxyz said:
Well, Sawaki trying to save her doesn't automatically mean the feelings were mutual. Interpreting the infatuation as unrequited isn't a jump in logic and could be based on the text, even if doesn't come to fruition later.

In the flashback, she seemed very uncomfortable in that situation and didn't reciprocate anything, not even the hug. In the ED, there's a pic of her and Haruka (the friend), but both seem younger than in the flashback. A possibility: they could be long-time friends and Sawaki felt she was put in a bad spot, knowing her friend doesn't see her as a 'friend'. Her reassuring Haruka that there are other girls like her is a sign that her feelings for Sawaki were either a direct or an indirect motivation for her suicide.
KosmonautFeb 3, 2021 1:53 AM
Feb 3, 2021 1:42 AM
Jun 2020
I haven’t finished the new episode but, I love how MAL finally changed the genre to a psychological drama.... does anyone remember what was the genre tag before?? I think it was something like a slice of life and something else lol
Feb 3, 2021 1:42 AM
Dec 2018
TimMarcus said:
Okay , so we are introduced to side characters more , it's okay , I still enjoyed it ,but i hope the author won't forget that this anime is psychological at first episode . Hope the side characters won't stole Ai development screentime

I feel like ai is gonna devolope in such a cute way and i look forward to seeing it
Feb 3, 2021 2:00 AM

Apr 2012
@Kosmonaut Yes, I also thought that this sounds like a repetition, but it seemed to me that Rika's problems still have other reasons, especially since it could be an interesting contrast. Hell, she even got noticeably jealous when the girls praised Momoe. Either way, a tall handsome girl with elegant manners is a rather stereotypical portrayal of fashionable models in Japanese culture.
Feb 3, 2021 2:08 AM
Jun 2020
copperypilot56_ said:
I haven’t finished the new episode but, I love how MAL finally changed the genre to a psychological drama.... does anyone remember what was the genre tag before?? I think it was something like a slice of life and something else lol

Just finished the episode, another 9/10 episode digging the series so far probably the second best anime this season after the other one we all know and love
Feb 3, 2021 2:48 AM
Jul 2018
well they introduced new character,I was excited to see a male character but turns out he's a she,Overall the ep was good but I am afraid its becoming repetitive,I hope next ep will be better.
removed-userFeb 3, 2021 2:51 AM
Feb 3, 2021 3:46 AM

Jun 2017
For some reason, I never put two and two together that Momoe is related to that creepy teacher until the end of the episode. Now I wonder if all the girls dealt with him in some way or another before, and if he really is the final Big Bad of the show. I'm also still very suspicious of the Accas.

This show is constantly blowing me away with the fight choreography too. Love Momoe's umbrella spear.
Feb 3, 2021 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
eh i feel making the character trans would have been a lot more interesting
Feb 3, 2021 3:55 AM
Apr 2019
Momo's pretty good ngl. They're all cute together <3 Every episode is good!
Feb 3, 2021 4:36 AM

Nov 2016
To me Momoe just seems to be an androgynous looking girl due to her built. Maybe she isn't comfortable with being overly feminine or she just thinks her current style suits her better, yet she still see's herself as a girl. Reminds me of Sailor Uranus (kinda funny that the one friend was named Haruka) who was also very popular with both genders, but mostly girls, even straight ones were shown to fall for her. Besides it's not necessarily only the other gender that can be perceived as attractive. Effectively it's about looks. I think I have to point out that every culture has their own beauty standards and so do the Japanese. Compared to westerners Japanese guys come off as effiminate and that seems what the girls over there are mostly into. Just look at all the bishounen stuff.

Long story short, what I'm trying to say is that Momoe's appeal overlaps with the bishounen one and that was clearly shown in this episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 3, 2021 4:45 AM

Feb 2016
I started watching this anime only because of Love Live cast but it became my favourite of this season especialy after this episode
Feb 3, 2021 5:01 AM

Oct 2016
Another fantastic episode! That song by Yu yu was a great OST, I am now a Yu yu fan as well not just as crazy as those fanatics lmao.

And we are finally introduced to the fourth girl Sawaki Momoe, a pretty interesting character. We are not really sure yet what her preferences are, though I think from my observations there is a reason why she looks masculine, I don't know, maybe maybe not. I didn't notice any signs that she likes those girls, their the ones that like him and she seems uncomfortable with it. I'm not sure yet, pretty interesting though.

So, there is like an egg shit for boys too then? That would be cool to see. That end was pretty wholesome though, I really liked it. But, can't shake the feeling that some of them will die if not all of them or at least Ai will be left alone. Looking forward to the next ep.
Feb 3, 2021 5:15 AM

Apr 2020
I like how this show always has something good to offer in each episode, and just makes you look forward to what's to come next (not just the story, but the themes as well). Momoe is really interesting, I liked her just as much as Rika eventhough the focus wasn't hers this episode. Neiru better get something soon, though!
Feb 3, 2021 5:17 AM
Jul 2020
I mean i could understand the use of 'sexual harassment' in this anime but hopefully they don't overdo it.
Feb 3, 2021 5:37 AM
Jul 2017
VioletEver240420 said:
Sawaki is the shady teacher's sister they have the same last name

Ahh I was wondering... thank you!
Feb 3, 2021 7:59 AM
Oct 2009
Kosmonaut said:
Well, okay, apparently, boys' suicides are born from not achieving goals and girls' out of emotions and the 'allure of death', alrighty then. Even suicide the eggs sold by Ikuhara-esque attendants' gacha game are gendered smh my head.

That part got me cringing so hard. "Boys are goal-driven and women are emotional" and "Women are easily swayed by people" UUUGHHH. I forgive a lot of traditional conservative gender role trash to enjoy my animes but like, can they at least try not to be so blatant xD
Feb 3, 2021 8:37 AM

May 2020
This anime together with Horimiya are really great, Cloverworks is doin such a great job this season.

The new girl is so cool, and like the others, she also has some ghost chasing her from the past.

Looking forward the next week.

pd. such a shame that I can't watch this legally in my country.
Feb 3, 2021 9:06 AM

Sep 2020
Many kinda assume Momoe is a lesbian but I'm pretty sure she is straight
1. She was noticeably uncomfortable every time girls confessed to her
2. It seems that the girl from her flashback killed herself after being rejected - obv lesbians can reject other girls, but still, not being into girls is a solid reason for a rejection, and it would also make her friend's situation even more hopeless (not only are her feelings not mutual, but they never will be), thus pushing her closer to suicide
3. "Adam's apples are sexy" isn't really a lesbian remark to make
None of those really prove anything, but I do think it points straight rather than not.
Ngl I hope that's what they're going for, it would make for a more refreshing and original (and more tragic in a sense) story; we don't really get LGBT+ themes explored from perspectives of straight characters.
Feb 3, 2021 9:20 AM
Feb 2021
A lot of people in this thread seem to believe the Accas description of "girls and boys" at face value and have been quick to write off the entire show as sexist. It is way too early to start believing what Acca says at face value. For all we know, everything we have been told is a lie.

edit: About Momoe -- I also have doubts as to whether she is gay. I was really rooting for a positive, at least somewhat realistic, and not "hidden" lesbian protagonist. It feels good to see yourself represented in the media you watch. I think it's important that gender presentation is evaluated the same way gender and sex is, though, and I hope the final implication isn't that "girls that dress in a masculine way are assault victims" because that might be a step backward. I do have a lot of hope for this show though and it was great seeing the cast together. I'm rooting for them.
chemicalcompoundFeb 3, 2021 9:33 AM
Feb 3, 2021 9:30 AM

Oct 2019
Momoe's battle with her gender really hit me, like a train, you could say. She wants to be seen as a girl so badly, and her liking women doesn't help. I can relate in an opposite way. She also wears such a big shirt, hiding her chest. I love her lots.
Feb 3, 2021 9:32 AM

Apr 2019
YURI LETS GOOOOOO

lovely episode, that last smack felt really good.
i got very worried when that girl with Momoe "gave in" but oh boy, what a twist

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
Feb 3, 2021 9:32 AM

Apr 2019
wuff_the_dog said:
Momoe's battle with her gender really hit me, like a train, you could say. She wants to be seen as a girl so badly, and her liking women doesn't help. I can relate in an opposite way. She also wears such a big shirt, hiding her chest. I love her lots.

pretty sure she's as flat as megumin

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
Feb 3, 2021 9:33 AM
Feb 2021
wuff_the_dog said:

This is an interpretation I hadn't considered, for sure. Maybe those feelings were mutual, but her stresses and truamas are in her way... I just want all of these characters to end up happy in the end omfg :')
Feb 3, 2021 9:37 AM
Feb 2016

Also, in regards to the mannequins talking about the whole "Women are emotion-oriented, men are goal-oriented," I don't think we as the audience are supposed to take it at face value. The show makes it pretty clear that they're rather shady, and we don't know what their deal is, so I'd suggest taking everything they say, that included, with a grain of salt.[/quote]

I agree, ACCA contradicts himself two sentences later. There's probably a reason why the girls and the boys are separated, or they may not be separated at all. Theres also the factor that all four characters are the same age.

Regarding Momoe, Im pretty sure she's a straight cis girl. She seems like she hates being regarded as a boy, and when she ameets Rika and Neiru for the first time, she uses "Katashi" before Rika calls her handsome, in which she responds with "boku". There's also the factor with how she was really happy to be regarded to as a girl by AI (you can also tell she changes the pitch of her voice after that.

I'm thinking that Momoe probably rejected her best friend (they're shown together in the ED) and she killed herself because of it. Her biggest mystery is why she dresses very tomboyish when she obviously likes cute things and wants to be treated as girl. If she's really a model, then it could stem from how she was forced to dress, but I really can't see her character as anyone other than a girl who wants to be treated as one.
Feb 3, 2021 9:57 AM

Nov 2018
Momoe Introduction this episode was interesting. Which a girl that teased by Haruka who is her own friend because Unknown Reason that us Don't know until now (Probably because Momoe look like a Boy and Handsome too). And Because of that She dress and Behave like A boy, but her heart still a girl. Because of that Momoe Confuse between girl and boy Personality.
I think this is the first time I meet the topic around this Topic, so this is gonna be Interesting yet Unique to watch. Moreover I honestly still Confuse that Momoe is still Girl or already have change to Boy (For now I suppose is stiil Girl)

Ai having difficulty to defeat Wonder Killer but thanks to Miko and Mako Concert Lights and Later Rika itself helping in Fight with Ai, They can defeat Wonder Killer. But it's shame that must farewell to Miko and Mako even though Their already becoming Number.1 Fans with Rika and Ai.

WHAT!? So Neiru is Owner of some Company, WOW that beyond My expectation.

Ah... Finally Our 4 Main Girls already meet, I really their first interaction and conversation between them. I wonder are their gonna team up to protect Egg Person and Kill Wonder Killer.

Looks like Momoe having some Family Relationship with Ai Teacher because having same family name. Hope can make this hint as Story Progression.

For the "Boys are goal-driven and women are emotional" that ACCA tell this episode, For me is not some kind of Face Value. My Prediction that setence have some Hidden Dark Message by ACCA and Ura ACCA affairs around Wonder Egg.
Yunohi-kunFeb 3, 2021 10:34 AM
Feb 3, 2021 10:53 AM

Oct 2019
A lot of people are saying that Momoe may have rejected her friend because she is not into them, but I'd also like to make a point that is possible she might've thought that they only liked her because of her perceived traditional masculinity and 'boyishness' from the people around her (etc. the people she saved earlier) which is something she may not want.

Went into this anime with not a single inkling of what it'd be about; was thoroughly intrigued and impressed by the first episode, esp the versatile art and animation. if it continues to develop well, it may just displace my top 3!!
Feb 3, 2021 11:04 AM

Apr 2015
two minutes and all I'm getting is we really live in a gynocentric and simp soyciety.

gynocentric because the poor little gurl expect everyone around her to be a simp and apprehend the molester for fucking free. we don't even live in a communist soyciety.

and of course momo is gonna be the simp.

maybe this is why in traditional times women are forbidden to go outside. maybe that's why? I dunno man. if they're gonna be all traumatized and shit like this then it's far better for them to be a youngster hikki.

while I do think molesting is horrible, simping and white knighting is far worse imo.

edit: 4:52 "just touch your wife"

oh yes. the wife. the wife that cockblocks all men once they "got" the man into signing a death contract I mean marriage contract because there's no more reason to fulfill her end of the bargain. it's all the "muh best interest of the child" now.
kidlat020Feb 3, 2021 11:09 AM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Feb 3, 2021 11:22 AM
Jan 2021
Momoe Sawaki is an interesting yet complex character. I'm looking forward to knowing more about her along with her past. It's been a wonderful series so far, looking forward to next week's episode.
Feb 3, 2021 12:15 PM
Nov 2019
Very beautiful episode and gang is all together, though looks like they gotta duke it out in the end.
Animation was incredible this episode as well though didnt expect Yoshihara scene in it, the music plus the contrast of fight with Ai and Momo looks really cool with the BGM.
Momo’s character looks interesting and bruh the sub sure does fuck things up like with Momo using “Boku” in the beginning and doesn’t say anything and lets her whatever she wants and when the next girl knows that Momo is a girl and Momo uses “watashi” and sub was like masculine like bruh
Its really fucked up that her mom said to put up with it like damn it makes me feel nauseous and the girls regrets of being with the person they love even for a few longer time.
Momo doesn’t actually seem minding liking girls but i guess she doesn’t like when girls only go for her boyish appearance and from ed its pretty clear that she likes girly stuff and wants people to love not only her appearance also Otho kawaii, and damn the sawaki bomb can’t wait for next episode
Feb 3, 2021 12:34 PM
Sep 2019
Am I the only one who felt the first part with the girl who had been molested was very off? At first it describes her trauma and the entire situation in a (sadly) really realistic and plausible way and you can see the girl has a lot of trauma because of it. Horrible situation. But then 1 minute later she just manages to completely stand up and fool the molester/monster and is able to overcome it pretty much immediately then she even allows her abuser touch and take of her clothes with a stone cold expression, showing no signs of the trauma from 1 minute ago. Seems like it was almost trivializing it, making it seem like something that is easy to overcome and that it really didn't cause her any trauma at all. The rest of the ep was good and I liked the new girl but that whole scene didn't sit very well with me.
Feb 3, 2021 12:40 PM
Jul 2020
kidlat020 said:
two minutes and all I'm getting is we really live in a gynocentric and simp soyciety.

gynocentric because the poor little gurl expect everyone around her to be a simp and apprehend the molester for fucking free. we don't even live in a communist soyciety.

maybe this is why in traditional times women are forbidden to go outside. maybe that's why? I dunno man. if they're gonna be all traumatized and shit like this then it's far better for them to be a youngster hikki.

while I do think molesting is horrible, simping and white knighting is far worse imo.

oh yes. the wife. the wife that cockblocks all men once they "got" the man into signing a death contract I mean marriage contract because there's no more reason to fulfill her end of the bargain. it's all the "muh best interest of the child" now.

Wtf is all this shit
Feb 3, 2021 12:48 PM
Jul 2020
Axel3k said:
Am I the only one who felt the first part with the girl who had been molested was very off? At first it describes her trauma and the entire situation in a (sadly) really realistic and plausible way and you can see the girl has a lot of trauma because of it. Horrible situation. But then 1 minute later she just manages to completely stand up and fool the molester/monster and is able to overcome it pretty much immediately then she even allows her abuser touch and take of her clothes with a stone cold expression, showing no signs of the trauma from 1 minute ago. Seems like it was almost trivializing it, making it seem like something that is easy to overcome and that it really didn't cause her any trauma at all. The rest of the ep was good and I liked the new girl but that whole scene didn't sit very well with me.

Perhaps when she saw the hopelessness of the situation, Momo was getting beaten, she decided to step up and risk it. The same way those girls saved Ai from the stalker monster. People deal with trauma very differently and there is no one way or correct way someone should act or behave. Miwa despite her traumatic experience could have been a strong and ballsy person before her death, I mean she did stand up to her molester the first time. It was only when her own parents and probably the people around that gave no support was what pushed her over the edge.
Feb 3, 2021 12:59 PM
Jul 2020
The actions scenes are amazing. They're really gonna go for a magical girl sentai theme aren't they lol. Not complaining though as it's got me hooked. I am intrigued by all the girl's stories, and character development has been pretty good so far. I like the way they reveal enough every episode but then keep it mysterious enough that it wants you to keep coming back for more.

I really want to know the mystery behind the eggs. And how this will ultimately help the girls deal with their individual traumas. Whether it will have any significance in the real world or not, and the power behind them.

In regards to momo's sexuality, I do sway on the side that she is straight. But it will be interesting to see how they tackle this lgbt story arc. As I feel like not a lot of shows take this on very seriously.
Feb 3, 2021 1:12 PM
May 2018
WTF was with that stuff about boys and girls suicides being different??? Men are goal oriented and women are emotionally oriented?? What does that even mean? I know multiple men who have commited suicide and to just brush it off as somehow lesser or different than women really pisses me off.
Feb 3, 2021 1:20 PM

Apr 2018
Azenith said:
kidlat020 said:

Wtf is all this shit

don't bother. never seen this dude make a coherent comment before.
last time they went on a rant about how anti paedophilia laws are basically censorship and science is brainwashing us into thinking we shouldn't fuck kids or whatever the fuck that was. tried reporting that one with little success so now i'm just doing my best to ignore them
Feb 3, 2021 1:33 PM

Feb 2021
Terrible A part. showing off too much leads to confusion in plots and perspective. Battle scenes cost too much time, and the story rhythm is confusing. Does it make sense to switch perspectives back and forth between Ai and Momoe? Action scenes are still great tho.

EP1 is so excellent that the quality of the next few episodes cannot follow up at all...
Feb 3, 2021 1:37 PM
Jul 2020
alm958 said:
WTF was with that stuff about boys and girls suicides being different??? Men are goal oriented and women are emotionally oriented?? What does that even mean? I know multiple men who have commited suicide and to just brush it off as somehow lesser or different than women really pisses me off.

I wouldn't get too offended. They weren't really downplaying anyone's suicide. They were making the observation that men and women (the majority of the time) take different paths to reach their conclusion. Men being goal orientated, means suicide is their goal as everything else around them has failed. Where as with women, they take a more emotional route, where suicide could be a spur of the moment during their heightened period of pain. Often times leading them to regret their decision of suicide. And resulting in the creation of this weird dream world that they are in. Basically all these egg girls regretted their decision, it's not saying that boys can't go there too.

Anyway we don't even know what these egg people even are yet, or what they actually signify
Feb 3, 2021 1:38 PM
Apr 2020
JanPri said:
I don't get it... So she dislikes when people mistake her for a boy, but wears pants and has short hair...

maybe because... she's an actual male?
Feb 3, 2021 1:39 PM

Apr 2015
elany said:
Azenith said:

Wtf is all this shit

last time they went on a rant about how anti paedophilia laws are basically censorship and science is brainwashing us into thinking we shouldn't fuck kids or whatever the fuck that was. tried reporting that one with little success so now i'm just doing my best to ignore them

you're so dependent on the system you willingly refuse to be unplugged. I have no more words left other than come back to this comment once you're 35 and the system has effectively thrown you away because you're no longer useful.

Feb 3, 2021 1:42 PM
Apr 2020
igiem said:
I am profoundly disappointed in this show. At first, I thought it had potential because of its beautiful animation and its deconstruction and confrontation of suicide, rape, molestation, etc. but in this episode, episode 4, it not only took steps backwards, it downright ruined the show. Allow me to explain.

*Trigger Warning*

Chauvinism - the denigration, disparagement, and patronization of a particular gender based on the belief that one gender is inferior to another and thus deserving of less than equal treatment or benefit.

This show has proven itself to be chauvinistic as it portrays women as insecure, gullible, irrational, emotionally unstable, impulsive, and easily influenced.

Evidence from the show:

Acca: Yes. Boys' and girls' suicides mean different things.

Acca: Men are goal-oriented, women are emotion-oriented.

Ura-Acca: Women are impulsive and easily influenced by others' voices.

Rika: Like human relationships?

Acca: That's part of it.

Acca: Imagine a "temptation of death".

Neiru: A temptation of death?

Rika: Scary. But I think I kind of get it.

Acca: Some might be led astray by the temptation and regret it. This place exists for those who want to return children like that to life.

Acca: So don't get hung up on gender.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

1. That is blatantly saying that girls are emotionally vulnerable and that men are not. Mind you, this is a male character saying this to an entirely female cast. This highlights how the show is chauvinistic as it basically says, "Men are goal-oriented which makes them unlikely to commit suicide, girls are emotion-oriented making them more likely to commit suicide.
A. The suicide rate for males is three times higher than the rate for females (17.9 men versus 5.3 for women out of 100,000 people).
B. Men more often succeed in committing suicide.
C. Women more often attempt suicide, but are less likely to go all the way.
D. This show is built on misinformation as its protagonists are all female, and the suicide victims thus far have all been female. What this tells me is that this show's creators think women are more likely to commit suicide because, to quote the show, "Women are impulsive and easily influenced by others' voices." Ergo, they think women emotionally unstable.

2. It basically says suicide is reversible, which of course, it is not.

3. It polarizes male and female suicide victims. There is no difference.

Suicide is more often than not derived from trauma or some sort of mental disorder, and this show treats it as something that can be chucked up to gender. It is these kinds of uninformed, misguided stereotypes that perpetuate falsehoods about suicide and its victims. To reiterate, suicide is not a result of gender, it is a result of negative mental conditions, and I hate to see this show fall for the trappings of the former. I am disappointed in this show, beyond belief.

Evidence sources:

- https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/82-624-x/2012001/article/11696-eng.htm
- https://globalnews.ca/news/6182575/men-suicide-
- https://afsp.org/suicide-statistics/
- https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/asia/japan-suicide-women-covid-dst-intl-hnk/index.html

acca said "boys and girls" which can be interpreted as "male and female"
gender and sex are two separete things.
sex is anatomical
gender is mental
Feb 3, 2021 1:43 PM
Jul 2020
elany said:
Azenith said:

Wtf is all this shit

Fair enough, this was my first time coming across such uh.. interesting post. It def caught me off guard. I thought i'd be used to all sorts of bad takes by now, esp being in the anime community. I guess people will always find a way to continue to surprise me lol
Feb 3, 2021 1:43 PM

Apr 2015
Azenith said:
alm958 said:

I wouldn't get too offended. They weren't really downplaying anyone's suicide. They were making the observation that men and women (the majority of the time) take different paths to reach their conclusion. Men being goal orientated, means suicide is their goal as everything else around them has failed. Where as with women, they take a more emotional route, where suicide could be a spur of the moment during their heightened period of pain. Often times leading them to regret their decision of suicide. And resulting in the creation of this weird dream world that they are in. Basically all these egg girls regretted their decision, it's not saying that boys can't go there too.

Anyway we don't even know what these egg people even are yet, or what they actually signify

I actually have a clue on that one. it reminds me of how the lamestream media downplays and overplays certain things. one relevant example would be 1 in 4 suicides are female and the lamestream media is suddenly calling this like some kind of national crisis while they don't care about the 3 of 4 suicides are men. because they don't care about men. men are pigs. men are trash. and women can do everything a man can do with high heels and pregnant. that females need a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

sounds familiar?

Feb 3, 2021 1:45 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
I loved this episode. It's been said before but this anime is so pretty to watch. CloverWorks have done a great job with it.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Feb 3, 2021 1:47 PM

Jun 2013
That punch to the gut of a beginning and the can of worms that Momoe's character is all in one episode, good lord.

For an introductory episode, I liked the dabbling in the topic of womanhood by showing that Momoe not being conventionally feminine does not make her any less of a girl and she is more than in her right to feel uneasy about people wanting to box her in according to their own assumptions about her identity. I'll hold further judgement for now, as it's still quite early on. I just hope it doesn't completely derail from that particular point about gender and turns into some sort of well-intentioned but backhanded take on gender and sexuality.

Those two gate-keepers were textbook examples of sexist rationale presented as intelectual, which actually seems to have been purposeful. The girls are really young and dealing with conflicting matters within themselves, it's no wonder they're easy targets for such a conversation with no rebuttals. The moment they said those things, I immediately envisioned the girls having some action packed moment in a later episode where they basically go "well, actually, that's a bunch of bs!".

I'm glad to see the gang officially being all together! And bonding over pretty girls with nice necks and about Adam's apples, at that (love the range).
Feb 3, 2021 1:52 PM

Jan 2017
Well, all 4 main girls are here, now it's time to see what CloverWorks is really doing with this original!
Feb 3, 2021 1:52 PM
Apr 2016
be_nice_uwu_ said:
JanPri said:
I don't get it... So she dislikes when people mistake her for a boy, but wears pants and has short hair...

what? no way she is. She was wearing a female uniform when she was remembering her friend, you didn't see it?
Feb 3, 2021 1:55 PM
Apr 2020
JanPri said:
be_nice_uwu_ said:

what? no way she is. She was wearing a female uniform when she was remembering her friend, you didn't see it?

trans girl, easy as that
she was born as a boy,
but feels like a girl
in the ED you can see her dressed up as a boy watching some cosmetics in the mall.
Maybe that's why she has a "masculine" body
Feb 3, 2021 2:03 PM

Apr 2018
Veritable novels have been written about this by now, but.

Speaking from a place of personal familiarity, I have to say that certain parts of Momoe's personality do mirror the trans experience to a pretty large extent. Not taking agency of your own gender, things like changing your voice, mannerisms and even pronouns depending on how you're perceived by other people, are all things I do as well. I feel a lot of trans folks early in their transition go through this phase of not wanting to upset other people and taking whatever you can get, even when it's not exactly what you want. And also plenty of enbies rolling with it bc it is what they want.
However, all that being said, from everything we've seen so far, it does seem more likely that she's a cis girl dealing with issues of a different kind.
All the focus on how she looks like a model and her insistence on how she looks better like this, how a more masc style suits her better, there's something there for sure. The model theory is not without merit, if she has to do it for a personal brand then that could be pretty interesting in itself and might not have that much of an overlap with Rika, whose damage seems to be more connected to parasocial relationships than her own expression of self.

Oh well, like many others have said already, no point speculating about it at this moment, presently I'm just curious as to why she presents the way she does, since this seems to be what the show is actually interested in exploring.

An unrelated aside, I said after the last episode that I no longer think that the girls they're saving are random and after this episode i'm even more convinced that they get "assigned" egg girls related to their own trauma.
Feb 3, 2021 2:07 PM

Jun 2013
Ultrabook said:
A lot of people are saying that Momoe may have rejected her friend because she is not into them, but I'd also like to make a point that is possible she might've thought that they only liked her because of her perceived traditional masculinity and 'boyishness' from the people around her (etc. the people she saved earlier) which is something she may not want.
This possibility also came to mind, tbh. It seems like they're going to explore her being boyish and other girls being attracted to her (maybe smth related to "girl crushes"), though I'm not sure if it's actually going to be along the lines of "these girls like the idea of me looking like a boy, they don't like me for me and as a girl" (which would have been really interesting to see portrayed and discussed). Let's see how they handle her character, overall.
Feb 3, 2021 2:18 PM

Oct 2019
chemicalcompound said:
wuff_the_dog said:

This is an interpretation I hadn't considered, for sure. Maybe those feelings were mutual, but her stresses and truamas are in her way... I just want all of these characters to end up happy in the end omfg :')

Yesss they all deserve so much happiness I love them all
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ashhk - Mar 30, 2021

413 by yaraaa3 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LittleLucky - Mar 2, 2021

212 by Mae_Mae_Online »»
Jun 8, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 9, 2021

160 by RobinEatsJuice »»
Jun 7, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 26, 2021

239 by RobinEatsJuice »»
Jun 7, 6:21 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 19, 2021

212 by RobinEatsJuice »»
Jun 7, 12:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.