Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 19, 2015 2:15 PM

Feb 2008
Was expecting this, Oikura the math fairy. Her attitude towards Araragi now makes sense, somewhat.

Looking forward to finding out more.
Oct 20, 2015 2:33 AM

Jan 2009
Very, VERY good episode. Before I knew it, the 24 minutes had already passed. All those revelations, whoahhhhhh. Loved the daburu o sebun reference in the beginning :D

6/5
Oct 20, 2015 11:18 AM

Apr 2014
DawnJ said:
Of course buncha kids are using spoiler tags to brag about "me red LN me kno stori". Have some decency.
most ppl havent read the novel they just hear spoilers and like to pass it around like little children in the playground
Oct 20, 2015 7:21 PM

Dec 2014
Cant blame Araragi for not helping Oikura with her parents coz no one whould have been able to guess that when you were only a child.

Anyway this series is getting better and better.
ᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠ

Oct 20, 2015 10:38 PM

Jan 2012
we need to go in deeper.. and deeper.. and deeper..

perfect loop i made lol
Oct 20, 2015 10:44 PM

Feb 2013
im not sure if this episode was simple or complex, just like ss. Well done shaft.
Oct 22, 2015 3:38 AM

Nov 2014
I love it! I love it! I love it! I LOVE IT!!! This new season is AWESOME. Not just because we can see young araragi's face, not just because we discover his past. NO! Because it's talking about math *-* I didn't think monogatari would ever get better than what it already was but it did! Looking forward to the next episode ;)

Oct 22, 2015 8:37 PM

Nov 2012
Monogatari is delivering a mystery the way I like it.

Also, someone shoot me for failing to recognize that obvious 007 reference.
Oct 23, 2015 3:02 AM

Jun 2015
This new season is my favourite so far.
:)
Oct 23, 2015 6:26 AM

Oct 2008
forgots his childhood memories - araragi already have Alzheimers.
3/5.

Oct 23, 2015 8:58 AM
Feb 2015
I think its odd to just forget a mystery like the identity of the person you used to see for a whole summer. Yet I'm not entirely sure which things I forgot.
Oct 23, 2015 9:09 AM

Apr 2014
people really bringing up forgetting things?

really i cant tell u shit i did in HS and that was 5 years ago, yes i forget ppl all the time.
Oct 24, 2015 3:41 AM

Jan 2015
matias067 said:
3/5.

Lol, poor Ararararagi
Oct 27, 2015 2:34 AM
Jun 2010
After taking a while to catch up with this season, there isn't really much I can say about Owarimonogatari that hasn't already been said.
Shaft adaptation of Sodachi Riddle was spot on. I love Marina Inoue as Sodachi, her voice is really powerful and delievers the wide range of emotions the character needs.
And going deeper into Araragi's past and the reason he is that way is a fitting way to kickstart a three book series that has "End" on it's title. We never really knew Araragi. He's there, we take his personality for granted, but stoping to think for a moment, he's really dodgy and don't open up easily. Whenever other characters talked about him, it's obvious they don't know much about what goes on his head. Araragi himself doesn't know, or rather, doesn't think about it. He pushed all these experiences with Sodachi to the back of his mind, avoided thinking about it, and eventually forgot. Now, he needs external stimulus to piece together his own identity.

peeyaj said:
peeyaj said:
I'm going to be an ASS and will reveal that

BTW,

Mayoi Hell

I know that, but when do you think will SHAFT adapt that book?[/quote]

Not this season.
Oct 30, 2015 9:47 PM

May 2013
this happen when a woman expect too much from a man

i hate it when woman dont speak their minds, and expect us to know what they want or what they are feeling... fuck you bitchess

i mean you got a mouth right so tell me what you want damm you, changing your facial expression doesnt count as communication alright...

5/5 great ep
Oct 30, 2015 11:58 PM

Apr 2014
I'm sure it's been said before, but the OP makes me (Made me the first time I saw/heard it) think of James Bond, and furthermore, Skyfall. I simply love the OP so much.
Nop.
Nov 15, 2015 4:39 PM

Feb 2013
Too much maths makes my head spin @_@

Interesting episode. Math fairies do exist. Not sure what else to say about it.
Dec 8, 2015 4:16 PM

Sep 2014
The unwritten Riddle...was for a Fool. EP 3.

Plot: Koyomi recalls the days of his youth where his schooling was in jeopardy from the fact he wasn't good at learning. Especially MAthematics. Then comes Sodachi who tutors him enough that he grew to love it but then disappeared from his life. Ougi presents the theory that Sodachi was seeking Koyomi's aid for a domestic problem but when the hints/hope didn't reach him she disappeared. WHether this is the truth, remains to be seen.

Character: Koyomi's really grateful to math. And I can see why. Being a kid who had issues with schooling but grew to like math as well, I can relate. And one thing you can say about him: he never broke the promise. Never told and never learned more about her.

Too bad about that theory.

Ougi once more displays her...nefarious nature. THe clock. Her disagreement on Koyomi's words and memories. And somewhere it was said that she wants things to go "correctly". According to whose script? Who is wrong and who is right? And is Ougi making things up as they go?

Sodachi. Another lost child in the domestic troubles...just like the other girls (aside from the Fire Sisters and Nadeko. They just cray-cray). Her possible motives for teaching Koyomi does say that she's got a rather...normal? way of thinking. Surely a kid would sooner or later blab to his parents about things right? The fact that it backfired was just that Koyomi was Koyomi.

Animation/sound: Little Sodachi and Koyomi were adorable.

4/5. Another riddle solved? but more questions remain.
AarroninDec 8, 2015 4:35 PM

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Dec 21, 2015 8:53 AM

May 2012
Very interesting development, the story is going pretty strongly even though there's so much information to swallow! Really interesting episode in general though and I do wonder what will happen next!
Jan 7, 2016 10:12 AM

Jan 2013
I lolled so much when Ougi described Oikura in a different form :D
Took Araragi long enough to figure out what Ougi was trying to explain.

Really liked this episode though, nice little detective work from Ougi :)
Jan 15, 2016 10:38 PM
Jul 2014
Does anyone know the OST that plays in this episode when Ougi and Araragi are in the locker room, looking for the letter and talking? I've been trying to figure out for MONTHS. Please!
Feb 14, 2016 2:59 AM

Nov 2013
Liked this episode but wanted to see Hanekawa instead of Ougi/
Still, it's good to see he still reacts on Hanekawa like a man ;)

Biasa said:
seems that Hanekawa is mad because Ougi solved the problem and she not

rather Nisio just handed Hanekawa's role to Ougi. I have a feeling that Ougi just totally stole Hanekawa's role. Kinda sad cause I wanted to see more Hanekawa and that's totally her role, not Ougi's, at least in this episode.

matias067 said:
3/5.

too preoccupied with lolis, if I had so many lolis under my hand and two hotty sisters waking you up every morning I would forget it too lol
tsundereharasserFeb 14, 2016 5:34 AM
Jun 29, 2016 2:13 AM

Jul 2008
Ougi just what is your game....

And as for Oikura, if this is all of it then she been EXTREMELY unfair to Araragi, if there was a problem this massive, then she needed to come out and say it. Relying on a 7th grader to figure all that shit out is stupid and the fact she holds it against him makes her look even worse.
Sep 8, 2016 12:39 PM

Oct 2012
Still feels like beating around the bush when the answer is obvious. You know something is wrong with this arc when Hanakawa dialogue and twist in the end overshadows almost everything else before it.
I really do hope it gets better with the next Sodachi's arc, this one was almost solely dedicated to Ougi's hint and it felt like waste that even this time Araragi didn't realize anything himself (that is provided Ougi ISN'T representation of his inner thoughts - but even others, including Nadeko and Suruga saw her/him so I honestly doubt it).

Still, can't shake the feeling they are putting other characters' cameos in just for them to stay relevant to the series.

I still like the way how dialogues works in Monogatari but dedicating 4 full episodes just to set the premise for the next three one is little too much when some other arcs were even shorter.

Have to say I feel for Sodachi a little bit more now but it strongly feels like part of her backstory was based on Kotomi in Clannad.
Sep 25, 2016 7:57 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Sodachi Riddle ends with a nice resolution, but with al the true or half true of about Oikura's hatred? I think this have much, too much history, too much maths, because this is a history of maths!!!
Sep 28, 2016 12:42 PM

Apr 2013
Seems like Ougi was feeding him lies again, but Hanekawa is no fool!
Where the hell is Senjougahara though >.<
Dec 8, 2016 8:14 AM

Sep 2015
He was too dense to notice how troubled she was during those secret meetings :0
Apr 22, 2017 1:44 AM
Apr 2017
"Beyond this door, whether or not Sodachi Oikura is there, is alas a completely impossible proof".
Want to understand the last line.
Thanks.
Oct 19, 2017 6:55 AM
Nov 2015
WOW, INTERESTING!!!
It got all psychoanalysis. And a bit of detective fiction too.
Big up from last ep.
Nov 2, 2017 7:06 AM

Jun 2016
I s2g the dialogue in this series just keeps getting better and better. Ugh.

That James Bond reference. Haha. Little Araragi. "The name's Araragi. Koyomi Araragi." Hahaha I should stop.

Ononoki as a Math Fairy? Yes, please. Hahaha.

So, it was Oikura who left that envelope in Araragi's shoe locker and she's the reason why Araragi loves Mathematics because she's the one who taught him. And the compensation she's asking is related to Araragi's parents which are cops. She's lowkey asking for help for she's a victim of domestic violence and she wanted it to stop.

And little Oikura suddenly stopped seeing little Araragi because he hadn't lived up to her expectations which is helping her got out or at least solved her life with her tragic family environment with the aid of Araragi's parents who are cops yeah. The reason behind Oikura's hatred for Araragi is that she wants him to be grateful for what his life turned out through thanking her? Which is kinda stupid mentality, tbh. It's not like teaching him Mathematics shape his life to what it is now. Lmao. But Hanekawa noticed something fishy: how Oikura managed to know about Araragi's jobs when Araragi himself never answers when someone's asking about his parents' jobs? Mhmm.

Someone give Araragi memory supplements to help him not forget things or people. I think Oikura's hatred grew because yeah he forgot her. Hehe.

Pervert Araragi strikes again trying to look under Hanekawa's skirt while they're on the staircase. Hahaha. I missed my pervert Araragi ffs wtf is wrong with me!?!? Hahaha.

P.S. That adorable Shinobu endcard. <3 YAAAY DONUUUTS! :D

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 9, 2018 7:28 AM

Sep 2012
i guess the entire season is about Oikura & Araragi

WolfWood37 said:
Ougi just what is your game....

her game is to get in to Araragi's pants lol

Hinata said:
He was too dense to notice how troubled she was during those secret meetings :0

what u expect from a kid if even grownups miss this kind of things when visiting a family like hers & i am talking about real life
Sugram22Jan 9, 2018 7:36 AM
May 7, 2018 3:51 PM

Aug 2015
A lot of revelations being made this episode. Araragi really loves to talk around Ougi.
May 26, 2018 8:29 PM

May 2018
This arc shows how Araragi Koyomi was made of, and Why Sodachi hates him. Amazing arc as always. As the ending said Araragi need to open one more door, hope for the best.

Aug 31, 2018 8:02 PM

May 2017
very nice episode..

we now know the reasons for Oikura's hate.. Araragi never met her expectations. She was desperate for help in her family situation, but Araragi never grasped onto it. He gained so much from her but it was all one sided. If that wasn't enough, a few years later they had met again, and Araragi absolutely had forgotten about her.. no wonder she hates him so much.

How the fuck is Ougi figuring all this out tho? she's too smart for this world
Sep 19, 2018 2:26 AM

May 2018
Damn, it was a intense episode. Waiting for the next episode...
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Apr 29, 2019 3:08 PM

Dec 2016
Araragi and Ougi are a great detective duo
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 30, 2019 8:03 PM
Apr 2016
Well, without a doubt Oikura's hatred toward Jararagi is justified...Except HELL did Oikura seriously expect Araragi to figure out her intents?... Even now without the help of Ougi Lararagi wouldn't have grasped the situation at all. Also, Ougi sure is smart, a little too smart, she's scary.
May 23, 2019 8:51 AM

Dec 2018
Well it's definitely Oikura's own fault that Araragi didn't help her family. First of all she said that she doesn't need any compensation for teaching Araragi math. Second, she said to not talk about anything other than math. Third, she told that their meeting should be a secret. And lastly, she expect Araragi to figure out her family circumstances when all they only talked together was about math.

He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Sep 11, 2019 3:18 PM

Dec 2015
I'm legit suprised on how good this arc is so far. This could really be the best part of Monogatari
Nov 10, 2019 3:47 AM

Jun 2017
Ougi is a genius, this was a very interesting episode, those revelations by Ougi gave me an "oh shit, that's right" moment the same as Araragi, why didn't he thought of that. I was just glued to the screen during this revelation, couldn't take my eyes off and felt surprised, SASUGA Shaft. It's nice to finally see an answer to this riddle.
EmperorAlfredNov 10, 2019 3:55 AM
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jun 7, 2020 2:45 PM
May 2018
oh man i've been enjoying this show since the 1st episode, definitelly one of my favorite arcs in the series
Aug 24, 2020 1:11 PM

Aug 2020
Kaiki disse que o Oshino não tinha parentes, por que a Hanekawa omitiu essa informação? Ougi não é confiável, mas ainda sim nosso protagonista continua se abrindo pra ela, talvez porque ele não consiga resistir? Ele mesmo disse que não deveria contar essas coisas, mas continua contando, quem sabe Ougi não é uma Kai'i? Ou quem sabe algo maior que isso. Ou então nosso protagonista está tendo alucinações, algo semelhante ao que houve com a Sengoku.

//

Kaiki said that Oshino had no relatives, why did Hanekawa omit that information? Ougi is not to be trusted, but still our protagonist continues to open up to her, perhaps because he cannot resist? He himself said that he should not tell these things, but he continues to tell them, who knows Ougi is not a Kai'i? Or maybe something bigger than that. Or our protagonist is hallucinating, something similar to what happened with Sengoku.

(I'm sorry for the bad English, I'm not good at writing)
Unlimited Rulebook, boku wa kimegao de sou itta.
Sep 18, 2020 6:03 PM

Jun 2020
They actually tell half the backstory of Araragi and why Oikura has a hatred on Araragi.

This was yet another great episode showing all the reason probably the next episode they will show all the story about the reason on all of it.
Oct 1, 2020 12:34 AM
Mar 2018
so math girl was in troubled family. feels bad feels bad. know that feeling a bit and can feel some empathy there. wonder how she found out araragi parents are police tho. maybe she loves him and stalked him lmaoo
Oct 26, 2020 7:31 PM

Apr 2019
That was a pretty great episode, the story telling in this series is as great as always.

As much as I don't trust Ougi, I gotta say that she's a pretty good sleuth.
Dec 22, 2020 6:12 PM

Apr 2019
I don't get the part where ougi said that oikura must have changed her name. One of the conditions oikura gave was that araragi must not ask for her name, so it's irrelevant since araragi never knew it to begin with.
Apr 2, 2021 9:56 AM

Oct 2016
Fantastic episode again damn, every arc so far of Owarimonogatari have been so fucking good. Oikura was introduced very late into the series, but damn I already think she's a great character. And this episode makes her hatred for Araragi make even much more sense.

That Ougi line though, "I know nothing, you know everything Araragi". Ougi is basically just saying things that Araragi already knows, but it's just buried deep inside his mind. Ougi is bringing those thoughts out. But for what purpose though, does she really just want to help Araragi? I don't know. More Sodachi, let's go.
Jun 7, 2021 6:27 AM

Feb 2020
Well, there is at least one mystery that is now solved for sure : now I understand why Hanekawa questioned Kaiki about Oshino's so-called "niece". I always wondered how she knew about that.

We're diving deeper and deeper into Araragi's past, and at this rate I wouldn't even be surprised if it turns out he knew Oikura since kindergarten. At least it is pretty certain they knew each other for much longer than Araragi believes, but how exactly did he forget, what did he forget, and how this little idiot managed not to recognize Oikura, not just once but twice (and maybe even more) ?
One of the many interesting things about this arc is how it fully deals with the fact that Araragi isn't the smartest guy out there, or more exactly, he doesn't see far enough. He only ever scratches the surface, he's always done that, he doesn't think about the deeper meaning of anything (what fully confirmed it to me was in Ougi Formula when Ougi asked him why he seated "there", and he answered she was the one who told him, completely missing the point of the question). I didn't expect the show to address this problem, that's great.

And talking about not seeing far enough it surprised me to see Hanekawa going more in depth than Ougi. Where Ougi apparently took for granted the fact that Oikura knew Araragi's parents are from the police, Hanekawa pointed out that he didn't tell her about that which means she shouldn't know about it. So if Araragi didn't meet Hanekawa and only stayed with Ougi's words in mind, he wouldn't have realized the problems began before his official meeting with Oikura five years ago. Maybe Ougi purposely omitted this detail to make him think by himself, but maybe Hanekawa actually found a flaw in her way of thinking.

Either way, this detail shows once again that Araragi's main problem is that he doesn't think enough. After all, so far the only way he found out the truth, whether it be in Ougi Formula or in Sodachi Riddle, is through Ougi giving him all the necessary clues, basically he let her do the majority of the work and left with the final product. And then he did the same with Hanekawa, without her he wasn't at all planning on questioning Ougi's theory. And when I think about it, isn't this whole thing about getting away with the final product of the work someone else did for him exactly what Oikura reproaches him ? Well that's a good thing he is finally realizing this flaw of him, at least to some degree, and that makes me wonder what kind of huge mistake he did in the past.

Finally I wanted to mention this little bit of dialogue between Araragi and Ougi :
"-I'm starting to hate this me who is so happy.
-Well then I'll love him for you." (That wasn't exactly that but you know what I mean.)
What was up with that answer ?! She said it so casually. But actually that's something I always noticed about Ougi, she is particularly friendly and affectionate but something feels off. After all it is clear this attitude is part of why Araragi feels comfortable enough to talk to her like that, she knows how to find the right words and gestures to make him trust her despite how scary she is. And this makes her all the scarier but also all the more interesting. She manages so well to make him take the route she wants him to take (just like she did with Nadeko), how many of her words are genuine and why is she doing all that ?
About how genuine she is, I have absolutely no idea, but about why she is doing it, I have a theory. In Tsukimonogatari she said something like "I despise what's out of order" (once again, that wasn't exactly that but yiu get the idea), and in Shinobu Time there are plenty of hints that could indicate she is related to the Darkness that attacked Kiss Shot and later Hachikuji, actually she even practically said it herself. If we take all that in account that might explain why she is trying so hard for Araragi to fix his past mistakes, but it only explains what would be her current goal, not what are her inner motivations. I can't wait to find out but at the same time, I like for the show to take its time with her, it leaves more room for theories.
One last little detail I wanted to add about her is that I found her behaviour when Araragi saw her for the very first time in Ougi Formula (when Kambaru introduced her to him) to be very weird due to how out of character it seemed. She seemed to be very shy, hiding behind the door, which goes completely against the way we know her. Did she try to adapt herself to Araragi by first playing the shy transfer student before being her usual friendly self, or is it something else ?
FafetteJun 7, 2021 6:39 AM
Sep 5, 2021 4:07 AM
Aug 2021
So Araragi and Oikura used to study mathematics together at the ruined house;which is actually Oikura's residence. I didn't even think of it that way, Ougi's very smart and she doesn't just scratch at the surface of things unlike Araragi. Apparently Ougi is an antagonist, I wonder how that would play out later on since she is being friendly for now.

Araragi's good at maths because of Oikura adn she even helped him build his character so she's the reason why he's with Senjougahara now. But he had forgotten everything about that and thus Oikura's pissed off at him.
Mar 19, 2022 6:35 AM

Mar 2016
Oikura should've taught me how to do Rsin(x+a) instead.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

186 by TheColonel76 »»
May 21, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2015

121 by TheColonel76 »»
May 21, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

146 by TheColonel76 »»
May 15, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2015

211 by TheColonel76 »»
May 15, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2015

171 by TheColonel76 »»
May 14, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.