Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 12, 1:03 AM

Nov 2012
What happened? I was rewatching the series and planned to finally watch the compilation movie there was for the end of s2 and beginning of s3, I'm sure there used to be an entry here on the DB, they removed it? & There's even a third movie for the new season not on here. There's plenty of other compilation movies here on the DB, these movies had full theatrical releases, I don't get how the decision could be made that they don't warrant a place on the DB...?
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
May 12, 1:31 AM
Apr 2023
I think it's because mal claims recap movies that are essentially just cut versions of original anime aren't considered real anime.
May 12, 1:45 AM

Jan 2017
JVskunkape said:
I don't get how the decision could be made that they don't warrant a place on the DB...?

As they are merely Episodes put back-to-back without any editing outside of the Opening and Ending, MAL believe that they can't be considered as a whole another professional project, and therefore, doesn't warrant a new entry in the database. That's why there is not the 5 Movies compilation of the 1st Season.

As for the 2 Movies that were once added to the database, in the end, MAL deleted them because the new content is also simply the 1st Episode of the next Season, without any editing, again.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 12, 2:31 AM
Sep 2022
good old MAL hypocrisy 🤭
May 12, 3:11 AM

Apr 2021
Mr_Sai said:
good old MAL hypocrisy 🤭

How is it hypocritical? 🤔
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

May 12, 3:13 AM
Sep 2022
ejleon said:
Mr_Sai said:
good old MAL hypocrisy 🤭

they still have recap movies up for other shows
May 12, 3:14 AM

Apr 2021
Mr_Sai said:
ejleon said:

Aw I see, thanks for explaining.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

May 12, 3:22 AM

Jan 2017
Mr_Sai said:

The other Recap Movies contains edits, tho. MAL is not hypocritical, they just have defined a very clear line for their rules about what is, or not, allowed in the database (and you can read them here).
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
May 12, 3:24 AM
Sep 2022
Alexioos95 said:
Mr_Sai said:

The other Recap Movies contains edits, tho. MAL is not hypocritical, they just have defined a very clear line for their rules about what is, or not, allowed in the database (and you can read them here).

🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓
May 12, 9:04 AM

Oct 2010
JVskunkape said:
What happened? I was rewatching the series and planned to finally watch the compilation movie there was for the end of s2 and beginning of s3, I'm sure there used to be an entry here on the DB, they removed it? & There's even a third movie for the new season not on here. There's plenty of other compilation movies here on the DB, these movies had full theatrical releases, I don't get how the decision could be made that they don't warrant a place on the DB...?

It’s literally just the last 2 episodes of Entertainment district and episode 1 of Swordsmith village with no variance at all so it’s a full redundancy
"Do you want me to take you away... to a place in this city where wishes come true?"
May 12, 11:30 AM

Nov 2012
Reply to Alexioos95
Mr_Sai said:

@Alexioos95 huh, but weren't the movies released before the new season eps, so the series versions are technically the ones that are edited/cut...

There's really not a single new animated scene? That's disappointing for its own reasons.

I still feel like removing it from the DB does more harm than good, for the historical relevance of the DB. The theatrical release should just be ignored because of this rule they've decided? At the very least there should be mentioned on series entries about the movies and that for the newer seasons (3&4) that is in fact when that content *initially* aired in that format.
I mean these are extremely highly grossing and impactful anime movies, from one of the most popular and relevant current anime, seems bizarre for MAL to be okay with having almost no record of them on the DB. Maybe they need to rethink that rule entirely. What is the current benefit of it? How many recap movies with no new content are being kept at bay this rule? Maybe they should add some caveats/exceptions. Idunno tho, just seems like something worth recording in the DB, and an odd decision to remove them rather than thinking maybe the rule should be amended.
-
@DarttheLegend I understand the redundancy of it, it's just that I initially skipped the movie and watched the series eps, so upon rewatch wanted to try that alternative format.
May 12, 12:02 PM

Jan 2017
JVskunkape said:
huh, but weren't the movies released before the new season eps, so the series versions are technically the ones that are edited/cut...

For the Movies with the 1st Episode of the next Season, MAL seems to consider them to be part of a special event/premiere of the upcoming Season, rather than an entire different project release before the TV Series (or atleast, that's what is indicated as one of the reason for the deletion).

And as the exact same content is already present in the two entries of the Seasons, there is no need to add it again. They do the same for Mangas compilations of chapters present in different Mangas already in the database.

JVskunkape said:
At the very least there should be mentioned on series entries about the movies and that for the newer seasons (3&4) that is in fact when that content *initially* aired in that format.

I agree.

There is a similar situation with the Director's Cut editions of certain Animes, but those are at the very least mentioned in the Background or More Info tabs. I guess you could submit a small sentence about it by editing the entry.

JVskunkape said:
How many recap movies with no new content are being kept at bay this rule? Maybe they should add some caveats/exceptions.

Of what i personally know, Kimetsu no Yaiba "Recap" Movies and the Black History 2 special of Detective Conan are the only ones. There must be a few more, but such format really are rare, to be honest. And they must not do any exception, otherwise it'll compromise the integrity and consistency of the database. Rethinking the rule is a way better idea.
Alexioos95May 12, 12:05 PM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
May 12, 1:14 PM

Oct 2010
JVskunkape said:
@Alexioos95 huh, but weren't the movies released before the new season eps, so the series versions are technically the ones that are edited/cut...

There's really not a single new animated scene? That's disappointing for its own reasons.

I still feel like removing it from the DB does more harm than good, for the historical relevance of the DB. The theatrical release should just be ignored because of this rule they've decided? At the very least there should be mentioned on series entries about the movies and that for the newer seasons (3&4) that is in fact when that content *initially* aired in that format.
I mean these are extremely highly grossing and impactful anime movies, from one of the most popular and relevant current anime, seems bizarre for MAL to be okay with having almost no record of them on the DB. Maybe they need to rethink that rule entirely. What is the current benefit of it? How many recap movies with no new content are being kept at bay this rule? Maybe they should add some caveats/exceptions. Idunno tho, just seems like something worth recording in the DB, and an odd decision to remove them rather than thinking maybe the rule should be amended.
-
@DarttheLegend I understand the redundancy of it, it's just that I initially skipped the movie and watched the series eps, so upon rewatch wanted to try that alternative format.

It is literally no more than an early release, there is absolutely nothing extra in either version, it is just straight up the episodes.
"Do you want me to take you away... to a place in this city where wishes come true?"
May 12, 1:43 PM

Mar 2018
Reply to DarttheLegend
JVskunkape said:

-

It is literally no more than an early release, there is absolutely nothing extra in either version, it is just straight up the episodes.
@DarttheLegend
@Alexioos95

for a second, i thought mal removed compilation movies entry and rushed to see overlord compilation movies.

i got really pissed off getting paranoid. haha

these shorter versions of the anime are a nice way to rewatch the shows without having to watch all of it
May 12, 2:07 PM

Jan 2021
Yeah they did this a month or two ago when so many people requested an entry for the Hashira training movie. They thought that the solution would be to remove the SSV movie as well. I dont know but whatever justification they give, I am not buying it. They didnt follow the rule initially for the SSV movie but a year later they remembered that it wasnt supposed to be here. Besides, its literally a world tour movie. Its marketed differently. Its not the same as special screenings.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

May 12, 10:49 PM

Nov 2012
Reply to FZREMAKE
Yeah they did this a month or two ago when so many people requested an entry for the Hashira training movie. They thought that the solution would be to remove the SSV movie as well. I dont know but whatever justification they give, I am not buying it. They didnt follow the rule initially for the SSV movie but a year later they remembered that it wasnt supposed to be here. Besides, its literally a world tour movie. Its marketed differently. Its not the same as special screenings.
@FZREMAKE exactly the words I was looking for, the "world tour movie", calling it a special screening/preview seems disingenuous.

It's like these movies are being treated as unimportant blips that don't need to be in the DB...but if you asked a ufotable employee or any industry professional and I guarantee they have a different perspective. Especially with how much revenue they generated for their studio and the medium.

These movies pulled in Ghibli type numbers at the box office, and are from a phenomenon series, one of the most popular current anime. But MAL have decided it's fine to have little to no record of them in their DB? The rule needs to be looked at, and if not amended, at least allowing some exceptions for cultural and historic relevancy.
May 20, 4:01 AM
Jul 2023
Otakodo_kumo said:
I think it's because mal claims recap movies that are essentially just cut versions of original anime aren't considered real anime.

Made in abyss movies all exist don't they?
May 20, 4:16 AM

May 2021
Reply to Mr_Sai
ejleon said:
Mr_Sai said:
good old MAL hypocrisy 🤭

@Mr_Sai These Demon Slayer movies aren't recaps though, they're literally the last 2 eps of one season and the first ep of the next season, it's more like a preview screaning
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba: Katanakaji no Sato-hen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jun 18, 2023

710 by Capitan_Orejitas »»
May 26, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba: Katanakaji no Sato-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Apr 8, 2023

454 by jasiy100 »»
May 21, 7:46 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba: Katanakaji no Sato-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Apr 16, 2023

262 by almasri002 »»
May 19, 10:19 PM

» Which episodes to skip? ( 1 2 )

sakuraspace - Apr 5

52 by bassyey »»
May 13, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba: Katanakaji no Sato-hen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2023

241 by Matheus050 »»
Apr 19, 9:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.