Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 3, 2023 8:51 PM

May 2019
...that repeating the same jokes over and over is tiring. So many comedic series get stuck in the same overused tropes.

Manga-readers said it a lot: almost 100 chapters in the manga and nothing really changed.

Probably the author is reserving the *revelations* (everybody discovering each other secret) to the very final climax of the manga, if much, if it is not discontinued.

A good SOL is also about development, if not about the plot, but at least the characters.
Dec 3, 2023 9:14 PM

Sep 2020
Did you even watched few of the latest episodes ?
Dec 3, 2023 9:42 PM
Jan 2022
You dropped Grand Blue so don't talk about qualities of a good comedy.
Dec 3, 2023 9:46 PM
Apr 2022
I mean for some one who's watched so much anime, you should be kinda used to this kinda thing. why are you bitching about it on a mal thread?
Dec 3, 2023 9:47 PM
Dec 2021
Ripperdoc said:

He did what!? 😱😱😱😱😱
Dec 3, 2023 10:16 PM
Jul 2020
Bijou146 said:
Ripperdoc said:

He did what!? 😱😱😱😱😱

+1 [character limit]
Dec 3, 2023 11:29 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
This season has been excellent lately

If it’s entertaining, I don’t see the problem
Dec 4, 2023 12:00 AM
Mar 2023
A huge part of this series is that it’s supposed to feel like a Saturday morning cartoon/comic. Yes, it has its story but it’s also episodic. It’s meant to be cute, fun, cool, and simple.
Dec 4, 2023 12:58 AM
Jan 2021
Ripperdoc said:

Tbh the anime wasn’t that funny
Heard the manga gets pretty good tho
Dec 4, 2023 12:58 AM
Struggler

Dec 2020
Ripperdoc said:

I mean for me personally I actually think Grand Blue suffers a little bit from exactly what op is talking about.

While I agree with the op that Spy x Family relies on the same sort of joke setups over and over again, luckily it doesn't bother me and most of them still land for me.

With Grand Blue however, it really felt to me like the vast majority of jokes were just the same old "oh look, naked alcoholics hehe" bit recycled non stop. In the same vein, I still found most of these funny, especially with the stellar voice acting and facial animations, but it did start to bug me a little bit, and is what kept me from giving it anything higher than an 8.

Dec 4, 2023 1:10 AM
Jan 2022
@Rand_al-Thorfinn Then name an anime with good comedy. What about Gintama or Prison School
Dec 4, 2023 1:16 AM
Struggler

Dec 2020
Ripperdoc said:
@Rand_al-Thorfinn Then name an anime with good comedy. What about Gintama or Prison School

I do like Grand Blue's comedy, but it does start to get a bit repetitive for me. My personal gold standard for funny anime is Nichijou, it matches my taste perfectly.

Dec 4, 2023 1:18 AM
Struggler

Dec 2020
Ripperdoc said:

I've only seen bits of Gintama, though I plan to watch all of it eventually, but what I have seen is absolute gold.

And I haven't watched prison school either, though it's also on my ptw.

Dec 4, 2023 1:26 AM
Jan 2022
@Rand_al-Thorfinn alright alright Nichijou, I haven't seen it but I heard good things about it. From the visuals alone, my guess is that it's 'just' cute girls doing cute things paired with comedy. I enjoy this kind of comedy, but I like perverted humour/jokes the most, so my favorite comedies are Grand Blue and Prison school in that regard.

And yeah Gintama is amazing. It has everthing. I was looking for gold, but found a diamond in the search of new good humor.
Dec 4, 2023 3:04 AM
Feb 2013
good joke can be repeated 1000 times over and still be funny.
Dec 4, 2023 3:13 AM
May 2022
Ripperdoc said:
@Rand_al-Thorfinn alright alright Nichijou, I haven't seen it but I heard good things about it. From the visuals alone, my guess is that it's 'just' cute girls doing cute things paired with comedy. I enjoy this kind of comedy, but I like perverted humour/jokes the most, so my favorite comedies are Grand Blue and Prison school in that regard.

And yeah Gintama is amazing. It has everthing. I was looking for gold, but found a diamond in the search of new good humor.

Your on point about Gintama. I'm about to start s4 and it just keeps getting better.
Dec 4, 2023 3:14 AM
May 2022
Ripperdoc said:

You mentioned Grand Blue. Is there material for a S2? I watched s1 this Summer and loved it.
Dec 4, 2023 4:20 AM
Aug 2020
Ripperdoc said:

azumanga Daioh, Yotsuba and Pop Team Epic are peak humor in anime
Dec 4, 2023 4:23 AM

May 2015
It kinda suffers from its own premise. At first the show was more interesting because the viewers were supposed to be hyper aware of the situation, will they, won't they? A lot circled around the potential reveal. And when it dawns that they won't, not in any foreseeable future because it would kill the premise, the stakes just don't feel as high. Whatever happens you already more or less expect not to get major plot progression. The recent episodes developed Yor's character a bit (which was needed asap because she honestly became the least interesting character in later seasons with how she just got reused for the same jokes), but I wouldn't be surprised if everything gets back to the way it was, same old comedy.

All of this doesn't necessarily make the show bad, it's totally valid within the genre of comedy slice-of-life. But the initial spark that got most people interested is heavily sidelined, if not ignored completely, so it's understandable if they start to find it boring.
Dec 4, 2023 4:43 AM

May 2019
Reply to Ten
It kinda suffers from its own premise. At first the show was more interesting because the viewers were supposed to be hyper aware of the situation, will they, won't they? A lot circled around the potential reveal. And when it dawns that they won't, not in any foreseeable future because it would kill the premise, the stakes just don't feel as high. Whatever happens you already more or less expect not to get major plot progression. The recent episodes developed Yor's character a bit (which was needed asap because she honestly became the least interesting character in later seasons with how she just got reused for the same jokes), but I wouldn't be surprised if everything gets back to the way it was, same old comedy.

All of this doesn't necessarily make the show bad, it's totally valid within the genre of comedy slice-of-life. But the initial spark that got most people interested is heavily sidelined, if not ignored completely, so it's understandable if they start to find it boring.
@Ten Perfect.

The point is that it's far from being as bad as some really forced and braindead anime comedies that are released every season.

- But-Could-Be-Better*

And maybe shorter. With 90 chapters in the Manga this could go already to some conclusion arc in the terms i said above, with a climax.

That's why i miss Hinamatsuri (finished with 117 chapters) and thankfully i miss it because it's over, and ended greatly.

*It's not only my opinion. It's about thousands of people in MAL who scored S1P1 higher than S1P2, which is higher than S2.... what is totally unusual for good series that keep the audience hyped.
Dec 4, 2023 5:38 AM
Jun 2022
dropped grand blue detected. opinion rejected.
Dec 4, 2023 5:46 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
My opinion on this series as well as the manga is that the author is like delaying the main story by placing small "arcs" or stories in his manga. Like this "vacation boat arc", completely unnecessary but still a bit fun. But many authors does the same thing, dragging out their series.

But dropping Grand Blue, dear God, what world are we living in?
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Dec 4, 2023 6:22 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to Rob7
@Ten Perfect.

The point is that it's far from being as bad as some really forced and braindead anime comedies that are released every season.

- But-Could-Be-Better*

And maybe shorter. With 90 chapters in the Manga this could go already to some conclusion arc in the terms i said above, with a climax.

That's why i miss Hinamatsuri (finished with 117 chapters) and thankfully i miss it because it's over, and ended greatly.

*It's not only my opinion. It's about thousands of people in MAL who scored S1P1 higher than S1P2, which is higher than S2.... what is totally unusual for good series that keep the audience hyped.
@Rob7 Spy x family is currently one of the best selling manga what made you think they will end the series in less than 100 chapters lol.
Dec 4, 2023 6:44 AM
Struggler

Dec 2020
@Ripperdoc
Nichijou is actually less "cgdct + comedy" and more so "an unhinged community of people doing out of pocket wacky zany things from left field + s tier physical comedy Sakuga for no reason"

Dec 4, 2023 7:29 AM

May 2015
Since when Grand Blue is a some sort of litmus paper for comedy opinion? lol

Another example I can think of is Kaguya-sama, it has its formulaic premise and similar types of jokes, but also a solid plot progression. I doubt people would consider it one of the best romantic comedies if season 2 was just a copy-paste of season 1, and season 3 maintained the same bubble of jokes, rinse and repeat, without getting anywhere closer to the overall resolution. Imagine how frustrating it would be. The show would still be popular and enjoyable for lots of people, for sure, but hardly on the same level as it is now.

While Spy x Family is still no doubt popular, Anya by itself is a perfect ingredient for success, it doesn't really live up to its full potential, that's all.
Dec 4, 2023 7:47 AM
May 2021
from what i've read about the manga author, they didn't even expect this series to get so popular so quick and weren't really too happy about it, as in - they didn't deem this particular plot so good that it could gather such audience, compared to their other works which they personally liked making more??

take it with a grain of salt, since i saw it quite a while ago, so i may misremember some details, but what im trying to say is that it could be part of a reason why the series seems stuck on some tropes and gags? since the author didn't fully enjoy creating that 🤔
Dec 4, 2023 8:06 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to autumn_sky96
from what i've read about the manga author, they didn't even expect this series to get so popular so quick and weren't really too happy about it, as in - they didn't deem this particular plot so good that it could gather such audience, compared to their other works which they personally liked making more??

take it with a grain of salt, since i saw it quite a while ago, so i may misremember some details, but what im trying to say is that it could be part of a reason why the series seems stuck on some tropes and gags? since the author didn't fully enjoy creating that 🤔
@autumn_sky96 Stop spreading false info.
Dec 4, 2023 9:23 AM
May 2021
Dec 4, 2023 3:49 PM

May 2019
Reply to Ten
Since when Grand Blue is a some sort of litmus paper for comedy opinion? lol

Another example I can think of is Kaguya-sama, it has its formulaic premise and similar types of jokes, but also a solid plot progression. I doubt people would consider it one of the best romantic comedies if season 2 was just a copy-paste of season 1, and season 3 maintained the same bubble of jokes, rinse and repeat, without getting anywhere closer to the overall resolution. Imagine how frustrating it would be. The show would still be popular and enjoyable for lots of people, for sure, but hardly on the same level as it is now.

While Spy x Family is still no doubt popular, Anya by itself is a perfect ingredient for success, it doesn't really live up to its full potential, that's all.
@Ten Another great comment, Kaguya is a superb example of a comedic series with a specific trope that at first glance could seem to be based solely on the same tired joke, but actually the author managed to devenlop it.

Another example, of a much inferior comedy, is Komi-san. More than 300 chapters with the same original gag... but a lot has evolved.

Anyway, haters gonna hate, but SxF is a bit frustrating because at this point could already deliver SO MUCH MORE... that's a pity.
Dec 4, 2023 3:55 PM

May 2019
Reply to autumn_sky96

@autumn_sky96 oh it could explain things. If so, the author is actually doing a great job on a series he doesn't love all that much. Because other authors in a similar situation fail horribly at milking their series.
Dec 5, 2023 3:56 AM

Jan 2017
So there are people who are actually watching this for the story?
It's good for me as long as I get my weekly chuckles watching this.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Dec 5, 2023 1:31 PM
Aug 2023
you’re free to leave then, if you don’t like repeated gags and stuff please don’t ruin it for the rest of us, arigato-ya
Dec 5, 2023 5:28 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to Ripperdoc
@Ripperdoc You watched Grand Blue so don't talk about qualities of a good comedy.
Dec 5, 2023 7:53 PM
Jan 2022
akiba-kei said:
@Ripperdoc You watched Grand Blue so don't talk about qualities of a good comedy.

Dropping Grand Blue and Bleach, giving Death Note a 5 while rating a good amount of incest and rape hentais 8+ shows me you don't appreciate the good stuff you degenerate. Bad move commenting my taste while I can roast your list a hundred times over. Better put your trashy list on private from now.
RipperdocDec 5, 2023 8:28 PM
Dec 5, 2023 9:29 PM
Jan 2022
Dan_ALves said:
Ripperdoc said:

You mentioned Grand Blue. Is there material for a S2? I watched s1 this Summer and loved it.

There is defintely enough material for more seasons, but I don't know more cause I am anime only.
Dec 6, 2023 1:41 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to Ripperdoc
akiba-kei said:

Dropping Grand Blue and Bleach, giving Death Note a 5 while rating a good amount of incest and rape hentais 8+ shows me you don't appreciate the good stuff you degenerate. Bad move commenting my taste while I can roast your list a hundred times over. Better put your trashy list on private from now.
@Ripperdoc No. I'm proud of that list. There is always idiots like you that take the bait.
Also thank you for reminding me to update my list, there lots of new hentai I wanna add you might like them
Dec 6, 2023 1:53 PM
Jan 2022
akiba-kei said:
@Ripperdoc No. I'm proud of that list. There is always idiots like you that take the bait.
Also thank you for reminding me to update my list, there lots of new hentai I wanna add you might like them

Yeah add more rape and incest to your shitty list, cause there ain't enough. Tells me a lot of your fetishes and preferences, you sick mentally ill patient.
Dec 6, 2023 2:54 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to Ripperdoc
akiba-kei said:

Yeah add more rape and incest to your shitty list, cause there ain't enough. Tells me a lot of your fetishes and preferences, you sick mentally ill patient.
@Ripperdoc is that like a personal attack or something or is that a request?
Dec 6, 2023 4:11 PM
Jun 2021
valid point op i got tired of Anya by the 3rd ep of S1
Dec 6, 2023 7:40 PM
Jan 2022
akiba-kei said:
@Ripperdoc is that like a personal attack or something or is that a request?

nah you are just disgusting.
RipperdocDec 6, 2023 7:44 PM
Dec 6, 2023 11:15 PM

Sep 2022
CrimsonPunk01 said:
A huge part of this series is that it’s supposed to feel like a Saturday morning cartoon/comic. Yes, it has its story but it’s also episodic. It’s meant to be cute, fun, cool, and simple.

The S1 core 2 was absolute mid content.
Dec 7, 2023 4:46 AM
May 2022
Reply to Ripperdoc
Dan_ALves said:
Ripperdoc said:

There is defintely enough material for more seasons, but I don't know more cause I am anime only.
@Ripperdoc I hope they do more seasons, then.
Dec 9, 2023 5:31 AM

May 2022
Reply to Ten

@Ten this 100%

And its totally understandable if OP feels a bit let down. But lets just be happy about how amazing season 1 was and how even after that with season 2 its still a pretty enjoyable watch.

@ratliker63

Peak comedy for me has to be Azumanga Daioh, Noucome, Hinamatsuri, Yuri Yuri, Non Non Biyori, Nichijou, Aho Girl, Konosuba, Shimoneta, Nisekoi.. and I believe also the Monogatari series since it makes me laugh a lot. There is a bunch others too but these are the ones that make me laugh the most.
LordKirkisDec 9, 2023 5:41 AM
Dec 23, 2023 2:23 PM

Oct 2010
oh yes, people complaining about comedy in a comedy anime
Dec 23, 2023 6:10 PM
Jun 2013
LMAO! This is literally the 3rd best selling manga in Japan right now, only behind Jujutsu Kaisen and One Piece, the series is huge in Japan, why you're acting like you're making some big hot take about it, "japanese never learn"? that sounds super pretentious considering manga isn't even made for western audience, so it's not like it's supposed to fit your taste to begin with.
Dec 23, 2023 6:27 PM
Oct 2021
I mean, I personally loved this season, but to each their own I guess.

More topics from this board

» Will it ever become good again? ( 1 2 3 )

goaTMaru - Oct 24, 2023

102 by Jammitylam »»
May 26, 7:06 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Season 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2023

146 by Safrichh »»
May 25, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Season 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2023

183 by Seabury »»
May 21, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Season 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2023

126 by Safrichh »»
May 10, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Season 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2023

191 by AkioTz »»
May 5, 7:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.