Forum Settings
Forums

[Update 11/10] Final Features Restored & API Development Update

New
Pages (12) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 »
Feb 2, 2019 7:19 PM
Jan 2014
Shishio-kun said:
So we might really hit three months with no update lol.

Such a big chunk of people I know left MAL for the other sites over this fucking API debacle, and more every month .-.
yeah :[
Feb 2, 2019 7:29 PM

May 2016
Shishio-kun said:

Such a big chunk of people I know left MAL for the other sites over this fucking API debacle, and more every month .-.

Since MAL's acquisition by Media Do, the least they should do is give an update on what are they going to do with the API.

Is the "development" going to continue?
Are they going to start from scratch?
Is it even going to be an API someday?

We keep waiting for news, But for how long? How much more before we run out of patience?
Feb 3, 2019 3:44 PM

Feb 2010
Shadow_Reaper13 said:
Shishio-kun said:

Since MAL's acquisition by Media Do, the least they should do is give an update on what are they going to do with the API.

Is the "development" going to continue?
Are they going to start from scratch?
Is it even going to be an API someday?

We keep waiting for news, But for how long? How much more before we run out of patience?

Well if there's no updates soon, I'm thinking to maybe organize a community effort to attempt to fix the third party aps. It's seems unlikely, and I don't know much about it, but with crowd-sourcing funds and getting some talent together who knows what possible.

It's better than doing nothing tho and watching our friends leave while we feel abandoned by the admins on this. And we've fixed other broken MAL things before the top did (and took forever to get to).

Feb 3, 2019 11:58 PM

Sep 2012
@Shishio-kun

How do you plan to do that? I mean, without the API that is. A scrapper perhaps?
Feb 4, 2019 1:40 AM

Feb 2010
sasalx said:
@Shishio-kun

How do you plan to do that? I mean, without the API that is. A scrapper perhaps?

Thanks for asking! Unfortunately, I have no clue, as it's not my area of IT. Doh! lol

But my plan would be to organize our best minds in this field and see what they can come up with, and, if needed, raise crowdsourced funds.

And someone did create an alternative to some of the third party aps, theirs is just delayed a bit. Maybe it uses a scraper. I'm hoping similar solutions could exist for other aps. Better delayed then nothing!

Still going to wait a few weeks here tho for an announcement, before starting anything :D

What ap do u want back the most?
Feb 4, 2019 1:52 AM
Jan 2014
Shishio-kun said:
sasalx said:
@Shishio-kun

Thanks for asking! Unfortunately, I have no clue, as it's not my area of IT. Doh! lol

But my plan would be to organize our best minds in this field and see what they can come up with, and, if needed, raise crowdsourced funds.

And someone did create an alternative to some of the third party aps, theirs is just delayed a bit. Maybe it uses a scraper. I'm hoping similar solutions could exist for other aps. Better delayed then nothing!

Still going to wait a few weeks here tho for an announcement, before starting anything :D

Pocket Mal
Feb 4, 2019 7:44 AM

Jul 2016
AnimeMemeDaily said:
Shishio-kun said:

Pocket Mal

Read this:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/113892850601403152996

With how everything is going on, it's truly amazing and applaudable that some would still develop for this piece of shit of a website. Even if the API do magically come back, anyone would think twice to develop for this place knowing how barely you can trust them.

They haven't even specified why all this happened in the first place. So dishonest and disrespectful.
Feb 4, 2019 7:46 AM
Jan 2014
otterman965 said:
AnimeMemeDaily said:
Pocket Mal

Read this:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/113892850601403152996

With how everything is going on, it's truly amazing and applaudable that some would still develop for this piece of shit of a website. Even if the API do magically come back, anyone would think twice to develop for this place knowing how barely you can trust them.

They haven't even specified why all this happened in the first place. So dishonest and disrespectful.
very true
Feb 4, 2019 10:42 AM

Sep 2012
Shishio-kun said:

Well tbh, I never used MAL on mobile so no one. I am happy with my own ext. BBCode can go to hell. However, others deserve a good mobile app for sure. Written by Flutter maybe...
Feb 6, 2019 6:00 PM

Nov 2013
sasalx said:
@Shishio-kun

MAL dropped the third-party API, but also use their own API for updating user list.
I'll try to use that instead after developing anilist version.
Feb 6, 2019 9:57 PM

Sep 2012
Nexxkinn said:
sasalx said:
@Shishio-kun

MAL dropped the third-party API, but also use their own API for updating user list.

Can you access that API without proper authentication?
Feb 6, 2019 10:46 PM

Nov 2013
sasalx said:
Nexxkinn said:

Authentication can be done with some workaround, tbf.
Feb 6, 2019 10:57 PM

Sep 2012
Nexxkinn said:
sasalx said:

Authentication can be done with some workaround, tbf.

Hmm... Be my guess then. Not likely but if you can, let me know. Many would appreciate that information.
Feb 7, 2019 11:42 AM

Sep 2012
@AzureDiamond

Wait they didn't even try to hide it? At this point, I am not surprised just disappointed.
Feb 11, 2019 4:30 PM

May 2018
This is atrocious. I expected so much more of a website I genuinely enjoy using this much. Given I've tried alternatives and they don't match up, I'm willing to stick around, but god forbid I even show for support in anything this website does anymore after last year's catastrophe and the aftershock of it nearly an entire year later. Miserable.
Feb 11, 2019 8:17 PM
Dec 2013
AzureDiamond said:
sasalx said:

Hmm... Be my guess then. Not likely but if you can, let me know. Many would appreciate that information.

To authenticate using MAL's private API:
  1. Connect to https://myanimelist.net/login.php
  2. Retrieve the MALSESSIONID cookie and the CSRF token
  3. Send a POST request to the above link attaching the MALSESSIONID cookie and the following POST parameters:
    user_name=<your_username>
    password=<your_password>
    csrf_token=<your_token>
    submit=1
  4. Retrieve the new MALSESSIONID cookie
For further requests associated with your account, you need to attach this new MALSESSIONID cookie and the is_logged_in=1 cookie. For requests that perform database changes, you also need to attach the CSRF token as a POST parameter like above. For requests that retrieve public information, you don't even need to authenticate.

You can also use mobile version API, https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1740204&show=450#msg56501483
Feb 16, 2019 1:59 PM
Jan 2014
I kinda gave up.
Come here from time to time, but someone here mentioned something interesting, after all of this, who can trust these guys anymore? Who's to say that something similar or worse will not happen in the future?

The lack of updates just makes it even more worse.

Good luck!
Feb 24, 2019 11:14 PM
Jan 2014
API dead until 2020 lmao
Feb 25, 2019 9:45 AM

Jan 2013
Devindor said:
API dead until 2020 lmao

That seems unnecessarily ambitious, that's much too soon.
Feb 25, 2019 10:13 PM
Feb 2019
You really need to update your video player. Flash ain't going to be around for much longer and even Crunchyroll updated theirs.

Might want to update that so people aren't frozen out of their hard earned anime
Feb 26, 2019 4:38 PM

Jul 2017
MAL what are you doing...
Feb 27, 2019 9:04 PM
Feb 2019
pickyotaku said:

That's what I'm wondering too
Feb 28, 2019 1:04 PM

Jun 2013
pickyotaku said:

Mar 1, 2019 2:20 PM

Oct 2013
Soon it'll be one full year since MAL API went down.

I open up Taiga and see Spring2018 seasonals...
Mar 6, 2019 9:50 AM

May 2018
OOF I NEED MY TAIGA, C'MON MAL
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Mar 6, 2019 2:59 PM
???

May 2014
Lu4n264 said:
OOF I NEED MY TAIGA, C'MON MAL

I feel your pain x(

" a scattered dream that's like a far-off memory. a far-off memory that's like a scattered dream. i want to line the pieces up--yours and mine. "

Mar 10, 2019 5:47 PM
Apr 2009
sasalx said:
@AzureDiamond

Wait they didn't even try to hide it? At this point, I am not surprised just disappointed.

Authentication isn't something that needs--or even can--be 'hidden' from any client that is authenticating itself (i.e. your web browser). You can see the details of how all website authentications work, just open your browser's devtools.

Getting a MAL session id cookie is easy; parsing the HTML and posting forms to update your anime list is painstaking compared to the documented XML endpoints that existed before. Some applications had done this before to set extended attributes not supported by the prior API (like the re-watching flag). But it was not uncommon for MAL to change their HTML structure (its expected, the html is not supposed to be a stable api). When that happens, the app authors have to go through the painstaking process again.

5 years ago the only alternative was writing low level UDP code to make a client for anidb.net, so app authors were willing to jump thru MAL's hoops. Today there are alternatives that are much easier to make an app for. There is also a long established history of MAL's api being awful and neglected, so I think the only people who are going to try to scrape HTML now would be new programmers to the scene... and how many young people are going to be that attached to this website?

When I made an app for myself it was a great vehicle to take something I was passionate about and hone my programming skills on it. MAL's quicky API made me jump through a lot of hoops I wouldn't have learned about otherwise, so I have some thanks to MAL for that. But web programming has really moved on, and I think new devs would be better served learning how to deal with broken 201x tech instead..

One day there will be a new API. Xinil's been talking about it getting it out 'by the end of the year' since 2015. I don't doubt that Xinil has been earnest in those statements. Software development at MAL scale is hard to estimate and execute. But at the same time, the history shows that no one should hold their breath; and that really means that at this point if you want to use a 3rd party application, you have to move to another platform.
Mar 10, 2019 6:54 PM

Sep 2012
@talisein

Thanks for the lengthy explanation however I already know the first part. Especially the dev tools since the network tab is something I use daily. However, you can create a secure API with various tools so that John Doe couldn't reach it this easily.

As for the other parts, I totally agree. This site is the epitome of "if it ain't broke, don't touch it". Well, there are some bugs of course but no software is bug-free at the end.

Tbh I didn't even bother to check the info I got. We have the solid AniList API for that. Many people already moved on from MAL to AniList as far as the development community goes. We are talking about a site that uses BBCode without proper buttons. However, I made many rants over this and other problems so not even going to repeat them.
Mar 17, 2019 12:07 PM

Jul 2017
idk for how long are we going to keep waiting for MAL to start giving us attention ...
Mar 18, 2019 5:19 PM

Jun 2016
Sooo... still no updates on the API? I guess it's just safe to assume it's as good as dead. (p.s. did they just gave up or are there no competent developers working for/at MAL?)
Mar 19, 2019 2:06 AM

Dec 2015
Bump. Please create a repo so devs on here can make pull requests to help you...thank you
Mar 19, 2019 8:07 AM
???

May 2014
Still waiting on that API update

" a scattered dream that's like a far-off memory. a far-off memory that's like a scattered dream. i want to line the pieces up--yours and mine. "

Mar 23, 2019 10:37 AM

Feb 2013
Shishio-kun said:
OppaiSugoi said:
AL and Kitsu are trash websites anyways.

Interesting, this is the first time I'm hearing someone criticize those sites. I don't hear much feedback about them at all (thank you).

A good thing to hear tho in a way because if we can get API back, community leaders and programmers can fix MAL up something nice and possibly bring many of the users who left back. From a community standpoint I believe we're in the negative right now since SO MANY people many of us knew left after the shutdown; that hit us hard. We need the API to help recover from that.

The layout of the features of these websites aren't intuitive at all... Some features as changing dates I've watched the anime on AL took me 30 min to figure out, as MAL I took 30 s. I tried to move on to AL, but I simply couldn't because it's damn hard to setup and some entries are different (as they tend to blend all together, specials with TV and stuff, so when I export, every anime with specials attached comes with episodes missing in the counting...). Kitsu is even worse than MAL in approving titles, as it's more of an ugly, useless and unpractical SNS with no users, so it's really worthless IMO.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 25, 2019 1:36 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I know MAL Api is forgotten and everything. At this point I feel that they don't even work on API as fuzz as died out and thus them having no need to bother with it anyways. Thus is pushes to the bottom of priority list.

But still -.- Damn I miss my days with "Taiga" .. I never get used updating data manually since since tasted Taiga (or MAL Updater) in past.

:( Sadface.
Mar 31, 2019 5:46 PM

Sep 2018
DesolatePsyche said:
I know MAL Api is forgotten and everything. At this point I feel that they don't even work on API as fuzz as died out and thus them having no need to bother with it anyways. Thus is pushes to the bottom of priority list.

But still -.- Damn I miss my days with "Taiga" .. I never get used updating data manually since since tasted Taiga (or MAL Updater) in past.

Isn't the site still in the process of being handed over to the new company? It's a bit silly to expect work on stuff like that to be done right now.
Apr 1, 2019 6:43 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
kandi_gloss said:
DesolatePsyche said:

Isn't the site still in the process of being handed over to the new company? It's a bit silly to expect work on stuff like that to be done right now.

it's been over a year.
Apr 10, 2019 6:40 AM
Dec 2010
badum tsss, no news at all :p

thinking back I wonder how I survived updating MAL by hand back then in 2010-2012

I hope mal get their shit together and at least tell us the progress, even if it's the cancellation or something trivial is much better than leaving everyone behind the dust with nothing but false hope
Apr 10, 2019 6:51 PM

Oct 2014
darkash said:

thinking back I wonder how I survived updating MAL by hand back then in 2010-2012

??? I mean it's not that tedious. Takes all of 5s update/add anime.
Apr 11, 2019 4:51 PM

Jul 2016
Protip: I'm using Taiga to update my kitsu list that automatically updates my MAL list, the only problem is when you are rewatching.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Apr 12, 2019 11:15 AM
May 2013
Hmm... I wonder what is latest update so far with MAL API? 🤔....... just wondering 🙈
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

Apr 13, 2019 5:55 AM
Jan 2015
"Removing fansub section to help the anime industry" do you turds realize that fansubs are what made it possible for the wide-spread Anime trend we now enjoy... anyhow, glad Anidb is still around for the long run
anime is love. anime is life
Apr 13, 2019 11:14 AM

Jul 2009
I migrated everything over to AL. Been using MAL for so long it’s hard to let go. But sometimes you gotta keep with the times or be left behind.
Apr 15, 2019 11:56 AM

Jan 2013
Animekid3 said:
Hmm... I wonder what is latest update so far with MAL API? 🤔....... just wondering 🙈

Spoiler, the new update is nothing has happened since the last update.
Apr 15, 2019 12:24 PM
May 2013
pureevil4 said:
Animekid3 said:

Spoiler, the new update is nothing has happened since the last update.

Nice..... hmmm as that what I’m wondering 🤔 lol 😂🤦🏼‍♂️
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

Apr 15, 2019 7:09 PM

Aug 2015
Guess we'll never get to use our third party apps again.
So many boobs in fairy tail, it's crazy.
Apr 16, 2019 12:58 AM
Jul 2018
Guess its time to switch over to AL or something. Its beyond me how something like this cant be fixed already. After 7~ months of scuffed anime list and no pictures its finally time to say goodbye. If they cant fix it now, they wont fix it anytime soon anyway.
Apr 16, 2019 2:59 PM

Dec 2015
DooMWhite said:
Protip: I'm using Taiga to update my kitsu list that automatically updates my MAL list, the only problem is when you are rewatching.

Do you have any links or information about how I can set that up? is there a setting on Kitsi's website to connect your MAL account and update stuff automatically?
Apr 16, 2019 3:24 PM

Jul 2016
Cryptotaku said:
DooMWhite said:

Do you have any links or information about how I can set that up? is there a setting on Kitsi's website to connect your MAL account and update stuff automatically?

It's pretty easy, import your list to kitsu, then export it to MAL, you can find both options on the settings of your account on kitsu.
Then you just need to change your Taiga to Kitsu.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Apr 16, 2019 5:07 PM

Dec 2015
DooMWhite said:
Cryptotaku said:

It's pretty easy, import your list to kitsu, then export it to MAL, you can find both options on the settings of your account on kitsu.
Then you just need to change your Taiga to Kitsu.

Thanks!
Apr 19, 2019 12:30 AM
Aug 2017
i hope MAL can hide this 'Recent Featured Articles' in character anime's cause this is a spoiler
Pages (12) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

231 by ParadiseSukai »»
May 6, 11:57 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by nothing_ness »»
May 5, 8:51 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.