Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2009 5:26 PM

May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought granfather was gonna yell at her :P
Anyway, great episode
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Mar 14, 2013 9:48 AM

Jul 2009
The grandfather understood she had good intentions, and she learned from her mistake.

I think it's pretty obvious Takahata was the mentor of Miyazaki. The grandfather seems like the archetypal precursor to Lord Yupa and Lana's grandfather in Future Boy Conan.
Dec 2, 2018 5:04 PM

Jan 2014
i can now confirm i will love this show
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Apr 1, 2019 8:30 AM

Sep 2011
I understand Heidi's feeling of not wanting to hit the goats, especially the little ones, and I have my doubts if it is really the best way to discipline them, but that's what they need: discipline. So I'm glad she understood it by the end.

After all, Yuki got so attached to her that she strayed from the herd and went all the way to Heidi's house, leaving Peter worried. And this ended up with Heidi wasting a valuable resource and losing a bit of the trust her grandfather put on her. It's easier to be scolded when you make a mistake, if the person you have disappointed/wronged doesn't scold you, it's just harder. Her grandfather's goats sure do produce a lot of milk though, they are just two and he can make that much cheese. lol

Then there's Peter who can no longer live without Heidi and gets soon in a bad mood when she can't go with him. It's selfish of him to get mad like this, but well, he is still a kid and it's also kind of cute. Those fir trees are surely majestic though. It must be amazing to just stay there, listening to the strong wind blowing through them. Welp, Heidi's first fall in the mountains is upon her, I'm sure it's going to be beautiful.
Feb 8, 2020 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
Heidi learned one of the many lessons she will soon partake. While I doubt this is the right way to discipline the goats by simply beating them up neither do I think it is Heidi's fault that things went a little south, but it is what it is. She did what she can. Her grandpa not scolding her hit her hard. He didn't have to, Heidi has learned her lesson so there was no need to resort to aggressive means.

This episode taught me how to make cheese though. This is interesting.
Apr 13, 2021 10:00 AM

Aug 2020
I love how the grandfather allows Heidi to have free will on the mountain and lets her learn her mistakes herself so that she can learn and better from them, and she has also learned about discipline with the goats.

Great episode and also I feel like eating some cheese rn.
May 21, 2021 1:19 PM

Jan 2021
Such a light hearted and enjoyable anime. It’s in my top favorites now (:
Feb 21, 2023 1:02 PM
Dec 2015
Not gonna lie, that fir tree bit was kinda weird. Made Heidi seem like she was crazy. I totally get the effect it was going for, but still.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Alps no Shoujo Heidi Episode 5 Discussion

Kuruwin - Jun 16, 2016

8 by darthtruder »»
Mar 8, 3:36 PM

Poll: » Alps no Shoujo Heidi Episode 4 Discussion

Fayrin - Mar 31, 2019

4 by darthtruder »»
Feb 13, 10:13 PM

Poll: » Alps no Shoujo Heidi Episode 3 Discussion

Fayrin - Mar 31, 2019

5 by darthtruder »»
Feb 13, 9:42 PM

Poll: » Alps no Shoujo Heidi Episode 2 Discussion

catullus_d_rus - Mar 28, 2016

8 by darthtruder »»
Feb 13, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Alps no Shoujo Heidi Episode 47 Discussion

Kuruwin - Jul 30, 2016

6 by k1Aegis »»
Jan 7, 3:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.