Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 14, 2020 1:32 AM
Apr 2018
I hope they explain the circles because I didn't understand shit about why people who tried human transmutation could use alchemy without them.
Mar 16, 2020 3:07 PM

Feb 2020
this episode started out really funny, i always get a kick out of seeing how terrified ed and al are of izumi. but the hug scene at the end!! with that music!! beautiful
Jun 29, 2020 2:37 AM

May 2020
Great episode, especially the hugging scene and Izumi seeing Truth. Some parts were cut out but and others added but the flow was just right and they managed to include quite a bit in one episode without it feeling too rushed.

Auron_ said:
This was an exceptionally well-made episode. Yes they were right, their alchemy is like the flow of the unvierse. Law of Equivalent Exchange is very much like the First Law of Thermodynamics and the stages of alchemy are like cycles of life itself. Had they understood the meaning of their words to it's fullest extent, would they still have committed the taboo? Were they so desperate to see their mother again that logic and reason didn't matter anymore? It doesn't help but make things all the more tragic.

4/5
Well said. But if they had understood fully, there would be no FMA as we know it. So I'm happy that they didn't. :)
Oh and funny that the "exceptionally well-made episode" still only gets a 4/5 from you hehe

Kabyk said:
The "explanation" of the "One is All" theme was far better here than I had expected and better than FMA1; although FMA1 did the "realization" to this fact better. A trade-off, I suppose.
Agreed, Ed's realization in FMA1 while seeing the bug being deconstructed by ant was a great way to show alchemy in nature.

2Deeh said:
I feel cheated, where the hell was that crazy masked man that worked at the meat shop? That was the best part of this island training in the manga.
I would've liked them to include Mason as the island "enemy" as well. Especially since his job was to physically train them in those 30 days.

SaiDrew said:
I hope they explain the circles because I didn't understand shit about why people who tried human transmutation could use alchemy without them.
As I understand it, people who saw the Gate and Truth get a certain amount of knowledge from it. In return they pay a price, e.g. Izumi's organs and Ed's limbs. Through this knowledge they acquired they are now able to perform alchemy without drawing a circle first.
Jul 3, 2020 2:38 PM
Apr 2018
BeeBeeKay said:

SaiDrew said:
As I understand it, people who saw the Gate and Truth get a certain amount of knowledge from it. In return they pay a price, e.g. Izumi's organs and Ed's limbs. Through this knowledge they acquired they are now able to perform alchemy without drawing a circle first.
Oh, that makes sense. I had already finished the series but that point was something that flew over my head. Thanks
Nov 10, 2020 4:33 AM

Jul 2017
Fullmetal Alchemist as a franchise has countless number of characters that I find to be really good and Izumi Curtis is one of them. Episode focused on her introduction, how she met Ed and Al, and how Ed and Al learned the roots of alchemy through Izumi's test. Pretty heavy episode too with knowing that Izumi's gone through the hell Ed did when it comes to human transmutation and 'seeing the Truth'.
Nov 12, 2020 10:48 AM

Aug 2017
Probably the best episode after several weak episodes. I thought Izumi coughing blood was a comical gag but she actually lost her organs after trying to revive her son. I also liked Elric's monologue on the island and how he and his brother survived there.

Master and students made the same mistake in the past. It's sad cuz I'm not surprised or curious about Hohenheim debut and role in the story at this point since I was spoiled years ago. What a pity.

4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 8, 2021 11:43 AM
Sep 2020
If alchemy and life are more or less the same, then are alchemists just biologists?
Apr 23, 2021 4:49 PM
Apr 2021
These two sweet boys tried to put on a brave face for their teacher. Izumi says it's okay to hurt and hugs them. And I *cried* so hard I needed a minute to recover. Goddamn, this show will be the death of me.
Jun 28, 2021 12:36 AM

Jun 2021
full metal alchemist,my hero academia and mob psycho like popular animes made by bones studios.

teacher and the pupils committed same mistake ended up losing organs,parts and body.this episode is nice and emotional.

all for one,one for all remembered me the quirks of all might and original user of all for one from my hero academia.
Dec 8, 2021 10:34 AM
Nov 2020
This episode always tears me up because of the moments between Ed and Al with Izumi. It's also so heartwarming too <3
Feb 16, 2022 3:56 PM

Feb 2021
another one i liked. This episode was important in establishing the series' philosophy because it's going to be important later
May 6, 2022 6:53 AM
Apr 2022
إدوارد وألفونس يزوران ليزومي وزوجها
Sig من أجل الحصول على أدلة على حجر الفيلسوف. أثناء إقامتهم ، يتذكر الأخوان إلريك كيف التقيا لأول مرة مع lzumi أثناء فيضان
Resembool ، وكيف تم قبولهم رسميًا كتلاميذ lzumi بعد أن تقطعت بهم السبل في جزيرة لمدة شهر. إنهم ينظرون إلى الوراء كيف اكتشفوا المعنى الكامن وراء "الواحد هو الكل ، الكل واحد". لاحظ إيزومي أن الأخوين إلريك حاولوا تحويل الإنسان ، واستنتجوا ذلك من حركتهم أثناء التدريب القتالي اليدوي. أدركت إيزومي أنهم لم يكونوا الوحيدين الذين ارتكبوا المحرمات ، فأخبرت Elrics أنها حاولت أيضًا تحويل الإنسان لإعادة طفلها ، الذي توفي عندما مرضت lzumi أثناء الحمل. الثلاثة يتأقلمون مع المصاعب التي مروا بها بعد معاناتهم من آثار التحول البشري. (المصدر: ويكيبيديا)
May 16, 2022 6:37 PM

Jul 2017
fantastic episode, literally the best one yet, i feel like this episode is the actual start of this anime.
Jul 2, 2022 5:48 AM
Jan 2015
boring episode, it wasnt engaging in the latter half
Sep 7, 2022 12:38 PM
Aug 2020
A very emotional episode filled with backstories and explanations. How Al and Ed learned the meaning of alchemy and also the parallel between mentor and student.
Oct 12, 2022 4:11 AM
Jun 2022
---------------------
Oct 15, 2022 2:12 AM
Oct 2022
Pretty good episode
Followed the manga mostly .
removed two or three things I wished they would have added , but oh well.
Either way , this was mostly a " how and why " episode.
Showed why and how the brother came to be how they are.
with Ed seeing the Truth .
then Roy meeting the brothers
Ed vowing to take 1 year to recover and him consequently being able to transmute without Circles thanks to him having seen "IT" ( and Al not remembering).
And finally Ed's Exam to become a state alchemist , where he promtly attacked Bradly who told him he still doesn't know the world xD.
Thus showing how the fuhrur gave Ed an "ironic" name : the FullMetal Alchemist.

Next week , they goin' to Liore/Reole ~

oh , and the score was pretty darn awesome. Akira Senju delivers !!
Oct 15, 2022 5:43 PM
Oct 2022
This cartoon not cringe, but very cringe yeah
Jan 6, 2023 11:32 AM
Jan 2023
That was some deep shit
Feb 9, 2023 8:55 AM

Mar 2022
Still going strong with this show and not a moment too soon, we have now met Ed and Al's mentor of Izumi. It was part funny and part touching for me because shows that even their mentor was willing to go the extra mile for them even she had broken the taboo pretty much in the same boat as the brothers. The stuff involving Hohenheim was also very good because it gives Ed an extra layer to his cynicism I feel. And also explains why he turned his nose up at the milk he was given while in the hospital earlier on in the show. Apparently we are going to be introduced to a new villain in the form of Greed in the next episode and apparently this is where the original manga stuff starts so can't wait, honestly can't wait.

Feb 19, 2023 4:29 AM

Feb 2023
its kinda wird becouse They said that their parents was dead so why all was having his body and brother his heand and leg i don t understand
Jul 17, 2023 3:45 AM
Aug 2020
all these episodes are keeping me in the feels
Aug 23, 2023 8:25 AM
Oct 2021
animenin şu ana kadar tartışmasız en iyi bölümü
Aug 30, 2023 12:52 PM
Jan 2022
Loved this episode but jesus f*cking christ what is the need in absolutely crushing me. The teacher giving Ed and Al the opportunity to feel their own hurt was wonderful and really coincides with the previous episodes developments.
Jan 26, 12:16 PM
Jan 2024
So, the positive part about this episode was how it explained alchemy and that's it. The way that story was explained was bad. First it didn't explain that how Al and Ed were living after their mom died. If they were living with Pinaco it was not explained why Pinaco trusted Izumi and let Ed and Al go with her. The whole Island thing was bad. you do not put 2 kids in an island and tell them to survive. It's showing Izumi's Irresponsibility and her stupidity. It's True that humans are adaptable but it's like that you can survive in an isolated island without anything and tell them to survive. The fact that they were not eaten by an animal in that island is ridiculous. And that is what you expect. I mean some kids who don't have the power to survive are good preys. The fact that ed didn't know that Izumi saw the god until this episode is ridiculous. And one more thing. we know that when you open the door and see the truth or God there is a door behind you which on that door it is written God in different languages. So, when Ed and Izumi opened that door, they managed to see a taste of that infinite information that God has, and they learnt how to use their own body as a circle. So why they are not able to teach it to other people? It's not a superpower. It's the knowledge that they gained by paying the price.
Apr 15, 8:13 PM
Apr 2024
I love the teacher, she cool methinks
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

133 by Angel_crush1 »»
Yesterday, 3:13 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.