Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Apr 30, 2016 12:42 PM

Aug 2015
My life ends, because L is dead!! How Raito could smile in that moment?! I know, that they were enemys, but still, I thing that he liked Ryuzaki. Nah, sound of a dropped spoon will always remind me this such a sad mement! I want to cry! What will happen with this anime without Lawliet?
Jul 29, 2016 3:09 PM

Jan 2016
Holy satan and his shiting testicals! that just happend! That was some real intense ending to an epic episode! I am fucking speechless! God of the new world..?! what will Light do now!?Next episode!Lol, Getting all Yaoi with Light n Ryuzaki at 14:00 xD(aww a sweet moment before DEATH!!) but OMG Its just too funny to watch Fucking lights smile!! xD
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Jul 30, 2016 7:02 PM

Mar 2016
Am i the only one who think that they (Madhouse) should have finished the anime in this episode, which L die?
The fact is that from which arise Mello and Near the anime just got worse :/

If you watched 13 Reasons Why in 13 hours in a row (like me) you got my respect !
Jul 30, 2016 7:28 PM

Mar 2016
yousandro said:
Am i the only one who think that they (Madhouse) should have finished the anime in this episode, which L die?
The fact is that from which arise Mello and Near the anime just got worse :/

I disagree that it got worse; it substantively changed tone, for certain, but not worse. You may not have liked the Near/Mello arc. De gustibus, etc.,.
I am the one you warned me of.
Jul 30, 2016 10:06 PM

Mar 2016
it´s just my opinion
Death Note is so good because of the "fight" between L an Light, and Light won.
So they should show us how the world would become as Kira as god, like i wish :/
But sudently, they introduce 2 + charachters who f`ck all the plans ! :(
Was really disappointing ...

If you watched 13 Reasons Why in 13 hours in a row (like me) you got my respect !
Aug 2, 2016 12:13 PM

Jun 2016
So we won't be seeing L anymore? I don't think the show will be as good as it was with him.
Aug 5, 2016 12:03 PM

Dec 2014
That was extremely twisted of Light. Jesus.
Aug 10, 2016 10:03 PM

Mar 2016
I've known since like, 2008 that L died but it still snuck up on me. Didn't happen the way I expected. I will forever be bothered that he never truly got the closure that all of his suppositions about Light we completely correct. It's incredible how Light is able to manipulate people (and Shinigami) to get exactly what he wants. He is very smart, but also quite lucky. And the luck ultimately beat out L's smarts.
Aug 20, 2016 8:36 AM

Feb 2015
I totally knew L was going to die, I read the manga, but it was even worse than in the manga...

Fuck you, Light. Fuck you.
Aug 30, 2016 6:23 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah that scene of the wiping of the feet is most definitely connected to Jesus washing the feet of the disciples; however, the analogy tends to give me new insight. First off, Jesus was washing the feet, thus L is Jesus. That also means that Light was not portrayed as a god. Second, we still don't know L's real name, so we definitely wanna find that out soon.
KitogeAug 30, 2016 6:26 PM
Jan 4, 2017 2:12 PM
May 2016
So we will never find out L's true name. Guessed we wouldn't based on the lack of his true name on the internet.
Jan 29, 2017 4:31 PM

Dec 2016
OMG L NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

the foot thing was the cutest thing ever though
Apr 20, 2017 3:50 PM
Apr 2017
Jessiegg said:
[...] I will forever be bothered that [L] never truly got the closure that all of his suppositions about Light we completely correct. [...]

I read your message that you wrote less than a year ago, and since you said you were bothered by it, I made an account for this website to tell you that I read in this thread that in the manga, among L's final thoughts was that he was right about Light being Kira after all. I read in comments that the manga is a little different from the anime here, such as Light not doing the smile while holding L in the manga. L knew he had it right all along before he died.
Apr 28, 2017 10:39 PM
Jul 2016
I was rewatching death note today and I'd like to give some special attention to the rain scene. Of course the impact moment in this episode is L's death, but this scene is so meaningful, from the backgroung to the soundtrack, it creates the perfect feeling for what is going to happen, not too many people may capture this, but for me, it was surely one of the most well directed moments of the series
May 7, 2017 11:53 AM
Jan 2010
Ash_DuQuennes said:
Hey all, new user, just joining a 9 year old discussion.

I'm watching Death Note on NetFlix, and really digging it (actually, I'm rewatching it after doing a binge/marathon run-through the first time, to catch all the stuff I may have missed on my first go around).

I only like certain types of anime, I guess I'd best describe it as liking the "deeper" stuff, or perhaps anime with crossover themes that resonate more easily with Western cultures. ForEx: Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Machine. I also liked Patlabor and Wings of Honneamise.

And now, I like Death Note, and Ep. 25 is a powerful example of why.

My interpretation: L may not intellectually/rationally realize that Light/Kira has defeated him (and that his death is imminent), but recognizes it (perhaps unconsciously) on an emotional/intuitive level. Hence the somber tone, and the premonitions of death for both L and Light, can be seen to be foreshadowed by L's question, "Do you hear the bells?" As in, "For Whom The Bell Tolls," the poem by John Donne:

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,

For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

The opening imagery, meant to be taken as a some kind of flashback to L's early years, is actually a flashforward to the moment of L's death, when, in his final moments, the critically formative moments of his life "flash before his eyes." (Serious question: do Eastern cultures have the "Life Flashes Before You At The Moment Of Death" meme?)

L had stated previously (perhaps untruthfully, but I believe him) that Light was his only friend. And I think that it is quite evident that Light/Kira was also his ultimate adversary. Therefore, there is both an intellectual and emotional connection between the two that deepens dramatically after the conclusion of Ep. 24, wrapping up the Yotsuba arc.

Thus the foot washing scene works on several levels, each valid: the Christ foot washing and Yaoi interpretations (while actually quite innocent and emotionally tender) are, IMO, equally valid. Another element that I took from the foot washing scene was L's acknowledgement of his defeat by Light/Kira, his submission to Kira, and perhaps an act of penance for offending the new "god" Kira.

Just my opinion, but I do not think that L died "at peace." He may have, if it hadn't been for that evil smirk of Light's in L's very last moment. L died in pain, not just physical but also deep emotional pain, at not only his failure to stop Kira, but also in deep betrayal by his one and only friend, who is holding him in his arms and gloating over his death. It was gut-wrenchingly painful for me to watch, and that's saying something powerful about this show's creators

Again, just my opinion, but this series, and this episode in particular, is a near-perfect example of the type of anime that speaks most directly to me: an artful blending of Eastern and Western themes, interwoven in a complex tapestry that diminishes neither while subtly reinforcing each in turn as the narrative progresses.

I've randomly got into this thread after watching Death Note years ago (I probably watched the entire series 3 or 4 times) and your comment actually caught my attention, you have some really well thought reasonings there.

It never really came to my mind the yaoi interpretation, but it is actually legit, L finally found someone who has the same kind of intellect as him, this sentiment of not being alone for the first time could very well unconsciously turn into some kind of love.

About L's acknowledgement of defeat...this one I don't quite agree with. It is true that he was uncertain of the victory, but I think the "act of penance for offending the new god" is definitively a stretch, the only thing L had figured out since the beggining is that Kira was a child pretending to be god, even if he was defeated I don't see this truth leaving him.

In my original interpretation, L knew something big was coming, and one of them would go down, and for all the time and memories they've spent together, this was his way of saying "good bye, may the better guy win".

That said, there is, however, an interpretation of DN's creator (you could say it's canon). I'm not sure where I read it, since it's been some years since I saw it, but you could probably found it with ease. So, his main point was that "you are my only friend" was actually a lie. It was an emotional gamble L tried. He knew that he was close to the truth, and his move would probably reveal it, but also he didn't know all the details that were into play (Light had the upper hand because he knew how Remu would react). So, as a last resort, he also tried to appeal for Light's emotions. It probably would not change anything at all, but if there was a 0.1% chance this would make Light feel something, he considered it was worth the shot.

Anyway, such an amazing episode and an amazing series.

By the way, after reading about what animes you are into, I feel the need to recommend Higurashi (first two seasons only, the OVA's are just fan services and not worth it, no idea if it Netflix has it), it was one of the few series I put on the same level as Death Note, just don't mind the animation/art much.
GBcrazyMay 7, 2017 12:01 PM
Jul 10, 2017 8:14 AM

Feb 2015
About time they got rid of L and the rest, now none shall stand in Light's way... unless they bring something like resurrection, I won't be surprised if this happens since it's supernatural but really... if someone dies, they should stay dead.
Jul 25, 2017 12:05 PM

May 2016
Farewell L best character of this anime.
Aug 14, 2017 2:12 AM

Nov 2016
Light is a complete bastard. Please enlighten me as to why people want him to be the god of the new world.

The manga did this better to be honest as Ls final thoughts was that he was right about Light being Kira. It gave more of a "oh shit" moment.
Aug 15, 2017 8:18 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
That scene between L and Light was random as hell to me ._.

Aug 27, 2017 3:38 PM

Oct 2015
I'm really upset L's passed away. And the worst part of all is, without supernatural to help Light, he doesn't have miniscule chance against L.
Sep 2, 2017 7:19 AM

Aug 2017
L is dead. I cannot grasp it. Now after this episode Death Note for me is over.
“All men are jealous idiots. And women are stupid too, to feel happy about it. It's true, there are idiots everywhere!”

“I know it's difficult to look past my brilliant tail, brain and looks, but I also have excellent ears and eyes.”

“I need to have a drink, and I need one soon!”

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf so you shut up!”
Sep 4, 2017 5:51 PM
Jun 2017
L knew he was gonna die. L should have won because he KNEW that Light was Kira since that is all he wanted to believe. Some hints of that was when L saw Light's distorted reflection and it sounded like L wanted Light to leave so it probably made him feel uneasy. The whole time, L wanted Light to be Kira. Misa dressed up as a maid symbolized her being Kira's maid and doing everything that she is told by him. The most significant scene was when L was cleaning Lights foot. This symbolized the bible when Jesus wiped his disciplines feet and yet got betrayed by them. But to me, it is also a powerful scene that represents how Light would end up winning by killing L first so Light is "above" L since he is the God of the new world and L is lower than him like a servant who is wiping his feet for him. I hate Light and L had the potential to win!
Sep 7, 2017 7:30 AM

Jul 2008
So, I am rewatching this for the 5th or 6th time, because that vile Netflix film left such a bad taste in my mouth, and every episode I am reminded how masterful this series is. It takes a more stylistic approach to the manga, with a lot of imagery, interesting use of colour, and some scenes which are very striking due to the editing, which is so extravagant sometimes I just want to applaud. It just leaves a huge smile on my face. Truly, this is some of the most tense and enjoyable television ever made.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Sep 22, 2017 4:42 PM

May 2014
Wow.
The execution of this episode was stunning, and the atmosphere was just plain uncomfortable (in the best way).
It pretty much felt like L knew he'd "lost" and was gonna die, and the whole "hearing the bells" thing really brought that home- the closer the bells, the closer death. Oh, and that scene in the rain when he couldn't hear what Light was saying? Beautiful would be the best way to describe it.

It was just so sad. Ugh.
L is by far my favorite character in DN, and even though I knew from the start this was gonna happen it's still horrid. I didn't cry or even tear up...I just feel empty and dejected ;-;

and really, really mad.
Oh Light, you are totally going to hell.

Part of me can't help but think that part of Light did admire, or- dare I say- like L in his own twisted way though. It's subtle, but it's definitely there to some degree, even though he is an evil bastard. There was no reason for Light to stop L from hitting the floor, just like there was no real reason for him to dry his hair off on the stairs- little things like that go beyond acting or playing a role. It just so happened that he was in the way, I guess.

The religious imagery was beautiful too, and I just so bad for L. That might be one of the worst and saddest deaths I've seen in anime. The situation was just screwed.

Now I wonder where the hell this series is going lol

Strawberrycake48Sep 22, 2017 4:46 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2018 8:11 PM
Dec 2017
Oh my! This episode is so chilling.
The foot massage and the rain scene isn't in the manga tho. L hearing the loud bell noises isn't in the manga too. Y'all should read the manga after watching this
Jan 13, 2018 4:07 PM
Jan 2018
L's character is amazing, but seeing him die felt so satisfying :[
I'm probably way too deep into Light's skin. Very bold to lose an important persona at this point nonetheless.
Jan 23, 2018 7:30 AM

Jan 2018
The most SADDEST anime episode ever!...😞😞😔😔😖😖😥😥😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫
Jan 27, 2018 12:48 AM
Aug 2017
NOO!! L is my most fav character in this series :((( the biggest reason i continue watching this anime T^T
if anything L is the most intelligent character here with the fact without any supernatural power/help n knowledge about it to begin with,but sad knowing he already predict his death gonna be soon

ahh....what to do...

L,Watari,REM gonna missed them .____.

Feb 13, 2018 6:35 AM

Jun 2017
Watari...Rem.......L ;-;
NUUUUUUUU! WHY?!? I'm sad now :c
Mar 2, 2018 5:14 AM

Feb 2013
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.`''''''''''''''''''''''''''
✈️
Apr 4, 2018 6:42 AM

May 2016
I'am so sad for L :'(. I wish he didn't die. Light was really cruel but I really like his character. It's still too early for L to die. I didn't even know his name. It's so sad for him to die without solving the case. Really Light your the most smartest evilest person that I encountered in the anime so far.
May 2, 2018 7:50 AM

Feb 2018
This is the end of the show nothing happens after this.
May 14, 2018 3:10 AM

Jun 2013
Wow. This really struck me hard. I still can't accept the fact that L dies, he was such a well-static/rounded character.

I totally agree with the Jesus reference, since I myself read the Bible and after reading a lot of the replies above, I'm on the side where L accepted his fate. L never gave up in winning the battle as stated that he should try to test the fake rules. He still tried to go on after knowing the battle is lost.

But overall, Light was pretty damn smart but I'm starting to question this because every advantage was on his side, like tricking Rem and using Misa whilst on the other hand L has nothing to back him up and also it was stated that if there was "god" looking above he was just dancing on the palm of said "god" (referred to Light). In terms of resources, Light wins by a mile. I guess this was portrayed on the first opening where the camera scene was behind L and closes up to Light then Light to L. It just meant that Light was several steps than L but if the situation were flat, fair, and square I bet L wins.

BUT DAMN! I hate Light so much. So much love for L. <3 Farewell..
Sep 29, 2018 3:00 PM

Sep 2018
Light is quite the actor, you know?
Sep 30, 2018 6:59 AM
Nov 2017
So... It's here… I haven't liked L or Light so far, but in this episode, I felt something towards L, maybe it was because of the flashbacks, or because the towel scene, I don't know, but now that he's gone I finally realized how empty it's gonna be without him… and I'm gonna seriously miss him… even if my favorite character is Ryuk… damn, that scene when he drops the spoon.. it WAS heartbreaking...
Oct 8, 2018 10:58 AM

Aug 2014
Roketsu said:
I'm thinking it relates to the whole 'god' complex Light has. Think of the story of Jesus washing the disciples feet for them.

Meatguy said:
BloodyW said:
foot massage was very weird indeed, but this episode is AWESOME!

The foot massaging scene is a reference to the bible. Jesus washes his disciples' feet right before Judas betrays him.

that^
but it would mean L-Jesus? I agree that L was betrayed by Light, but still...
and I don't want t believe L rly died ;o he must have talked this out with Rem and maybe Rem is not dead also? they could set it up
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Oct 25, 2018 6:11 PM

Dec 2012
Absolutely legendary episode. I could scarcely breathe as it brought everything to that final moment between Light & L. Light's two faced charade is terrifyingly haunting.
Nov 28, 2018 5:23 PM

Aug 2007
"Tell me Light... since the moment you were born... has there actually been a point where you've actually told the truth?"

Damn. And the music stops. Right before Light gives a bunch of excuses.

It's so sad because L knows he will die... And for Light to be his only friend, only for Light to pretend companionship... And the last thing he sees is Light's smirk of betrayal.

It's also so telling of Light's character to depend on Rem to protect Misa, effectively showing how inhumane Light became since he came in contact with the notebook.
LycanNov 28, 2018 5:30 PM

Feb 6, 2019 12:36 AM

Mar 2017
A sad yet beautiful episode.

Whilst I am not a big L fan, I have grown to like him a lot upon rewatching and I am questioning why I ever rooted for Light. Light is just scum.
Feb 18, 2019 1:45 PM
Dec 2017
light won fu.. (just admit everyone was L for the win xDD)
curious to see what happens next!
Feb 22, 2019 3:22 PM

Feb 2019
Damn, it was a good episode but so many good people died - including Watari! What did he do to deserve this?!

Its was completely unexpected - I feel bad for L, the last thing he saw was Light laughing at him as he died :(
Unusual_KmcFeb 22, 2019 3:25 PM
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Mar 1, 2019 3:29 AM

Dec 2007
after what is like,,, my 12th rewatch of this series i had come to this epic ep and my really like of this episode is the genius of the creatures of the manga, i mean, since ep13 i think light tell rem to kill L and says "it'll be that simple?" but it won't but in the end light knew from the moment L tells him he is L he couldn't find his real name so he have to use rem in the end and that's why - unlike some comments in this thread - light didn't kill L himself but left it to his plan that misa will be captured and rem will kill L to length misa's life, and that's his plan since... ten episodes ago? when he buried misa's death not knowingly he will use her and then rem will kill L even though L will release him because of the 13th days rule and to make sure the rule isn't real he planned that the prisoner that will use the death note to[ b]kille him[/b] and yes it was the plan so he will be killed to put an end to the case and that's him saying to light "it's time to say goodbye" felling his death coming although his real death will coming from rem, and rem knowingly that minute after that process will be continued misa's life will be at stake so at the very moment rem killed L and not before, and that's whole lght's plans from 10 episodes ago, and that is why i so love all yotsuba arc although iit's really a poor that whole light's plan and that's why i'm so in love with this anime and it's creatures, pure genius.
Mar 3, 2019 7:57 AM

Dec 2018
What an episode....

They had a little nice moment before they 'part', I don't know whether L is referring to his death or Light's death.

Hmm seems there's something secret on Watari's database.

I think L could've just use explain his theory in the investigation and Light will become a suspect again, but I think it's because L think of Light as a Friend

I thought Light gonna have a little remorsal when he sees L dying in front of him. But no, he's gone too far.

Light have silenced everyone that stand in his way. At least that's what he thought.

L , if only you remembered that Higuchi killed the COP in the motorcycle in the previous episode, you would have noticed the fake rule. Or he would deduce that somebody wrote Higuchi's name on the DN.
Kish0Mar 3, 2019 11:46 PM
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Apr 20, 2019 7:41 PM
Apr 2018
Whoa, I said I wanted Light to win but, I dead??? And there are quite a few episodes left... L knew something was wrong with Light.

I can't think of any way that the series can go on.
May 7, 2019 3:55 AM

Jan 2016
L did not deserve this dead :( I will miss him in the show!!
So he won't be the one who is catching Light...that is a shame T_T

Nevertheless I wanted that L thinks "I was right Light you are Kira" before he died!

And Light with this evil smile with obsolutely no regrets.... after all L felt for him as a fried imo

I hope so much that Light will get his punishment in the end!!!!!
Jun 4, 2019 1:54 PM

Aug 2008
So rewatching this after a decade, I take it the foot washing scene is the source of the speculation of Light being gay? Religious imagery or not, that was yaoi fanservice. If what other commenters have said is correct its not in the source material though. Whatevs.

I am curious about Misa though, with Rem dead "saving her" does that mean Misa gets her years like happened with the original shinigami who saved her? Want to make sure I understand the rules right, even though she made the "eye deal" twice, did she gain a bunch of time from these two dying as well?
Jun 12, 2019 8:55 AM

Mar 2018
L's death killed me! He's the best character on the show. I'm really not motivated to keep watching. I don't like Light and I wanted L to beat him in the final episode of the show. Their relationship is like Sherlock and Moriarty's. Imagine if Sherlock died, would it be interesting to watch Moriarty without Sherlock? That's how I feel about the rest of the show now. I don't know if it'll be half as good as it was when L was alive 😭
SocitaJun 12, 2019 12:21 PM
Oct 22, 2019 5:16 AM
Jul 2018
Wow. what an episode.

The foot massage scene was heart-felt, and when L says he wanted to atone, felt bad.. poor L. He's right, he was right about Light all along, I hope he atleast understood it in his last moments when he sees Light holding him in his arms smiling.. But then, I also feel like he shouldn't know it was Light, because he considered him to be his first and only friend. I really want to know what L saw/felt/thought/realized in his final moment.

The connection between Light and L is beautiful. They match each other on all levels and connect with each other on an intuitive level, it's beautiful.. I always loved when they communicate or have a battle of wits going on.. always put a smile on my face.

Rem is gone too.. how selfless is God of Death :'(

Great direction. I want to know why Rem rushed over to take lives though. Is it because L was talking about taking the notebook to another country?

removed-userOct 22, 2019 5:22 AM
Oct 30, 2019 11:28 PM
Jul 2019
This episode.. what in the fuck. I anticipated what was going to happen since I was spoiled already but wow. I'm still shocked.

Didn't expect to enjoy DN this much at all. One of the best episodes by far.
Jan 20, 2020 4:21 PM

Apr 2015
It was a sad thing to see L go after all these episodes with him.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 14, 2007

110 by misterskinny »»
Yesterday, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 7, 2007

132 by misterskinny »»
Yesterday, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Xinil - Feb 2, 2007

109 by misterskinny »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM

» how many people have read or watch bl ( 1 2 )

meltrix2017 - Apr 21

68 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 24, 12:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.