Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
May 27, 2022 7:53 PM

Oct 2020
So, from what I've heard, these final episodes of NGE are supposed to depict what played out psychologically whereas the film EoE is supposed to depict what physically happened ..

That being said, this episode seemed to sort of retread a lot of previously covered ground. We know Shinji avoids interaction/intimacy to avoid rejection, we know Asuka is afraid of being alone, we know Rei is confused about who she is since she comes from a line of clones, we know Misato has complicated feelings towards her emotionally-absent father and tries to compensate. WE KNOW
We did learn a bit more about the Human Instrumentality project and I guess this episode was supposed to be a representation of everyone's hearts melding together by experiencing each other's inner monologues and memories, but it sort of dragged on a bit and it would have been nice to see how it all came to this without having to watch a separate movie afterwards.

Like I guess Gendo just threw everyone into the LCL soup and mixed them all together or something? We saw flashes of Ritsuko and Misato's dead bodies so did he kill them and dump them all together?
Jul 4, 2022 5:55 AM

Dec 2007
at first i told myself: "WTH am i watching??"
but after minute or two i realized - this anime is not about the angels or whatever, but about the chracters.
purely masterpiece.

basically though, every character have it's own background but the same agenda - to be needed, not to be alone. and this episode portray it fine.
Aug 31, 2022 1:04 AM
Jan 2021
this anime awesome
Oct 1, 2022 10:59 PM
Aug 2022
this episode showed us more about what is going on inside the main characters which is pretty cool. apparently they're opening up their hearts to each other or something like that. it honestly confused me quite a bit. also there was a scene that showed ritsuko and misato dead. are they actually dead or what?
Oct 25, 2022 5:12 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Welcome to second-to-last episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion, aka depressed interview simulator

Pretty much all anime today slightly dim the screen whenever there is a possible seizure-inducing scene. Evangelion, on the other hand, be like STROBE LIGHT TIME BABYYY

So does Gendo have everyone sleeping right now sharing a dream right now like in inception to progress his human instrumentality project which does, something?

Whatever it is, not gonna lie, everything that was said in this episode was at least somewhat relatable.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 16, 2022 9:32 AM

Aug 2022
I actually liked this episode, altough I agree that this could have been done in much less time.

There's only one episode left. I really wonder how this is going to finish.
Dec 7, 2022 11:49 AM
Aug 2020
my head hurts after this
Jan 1, 2023 10:26 PM

Jan 2022
Instrumentality. Group therapy session. Oh boy. Fellas Imma be honest, it's ok to be confused cuz even I am too. But Important things to note are how everyone has issues with human connections. They push people away or pull them in closer, or do a mix of the two all to fill or deny that empty void that exists inside all of us.
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 1, 2023 11:15 PM

Jul 2021
what the fuck

i'm not sure what this was, i suppose a look inside the minds of everyone. revealing their deepest feelings. don't know how much of it can be called truth or whatever but this was a great episode.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 13, 2023 11:48 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything. W Rei.
Jan 17, 2023 7:16 PM
Jan 2020
Kind of redundant.
Jan 20, 2023 3:39 PM

Oct 2022
The beginning of the mind fuck that is the final 2 episodes.
Feb 6, 2023 9:41 PM

Mar 2016
As an episode itself, it was really interesting as a complete psycho mind-fuck. As the penultimate episode of the series that still has many unknowns regarding what this project actually is, what the angels are, the Second Impact, and what Seele actually wanted......this episode was a complete throwaway. It was an episode that should've come in a few episodes earlier or only included with a longer episode run. With the episode count as is, it should've been compacted to still give the effect while allowing time for proper pllot progression. Feels like there is far too much to be resolved in a single final episode.

Getting the idea now of why the original ending is considered like marmite and the original movies along with the rebuild series were made.

Time to finish this off now, get the movies watched at some point and then go through Re:Build :P
Feb 9, 2023 5:30 PM

Oct 2013
Huh, that was quite an episode. First very rushed ep. 24, now drastic change of atmosphere.

One episode left.
AdnashFeb 9, 2023 5:39 PM
Feb 15, 2023 12:49 PM
Mar 2019
There was just so much going on in this one I don't even know how to react. I need to rewatch this whole series a few times XD
Feb 18, 2023 8:52 AM
Jan 2021
O que acabou de acontecer..?
Feb 24, 2023 9:05 PM
Jul 2022
triggereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed
Mar 31, 2023 11:40 AM

Jul 2017
this episode showed exactly what makes Neon Genesis Evangelion special. all the mental and emotional topics are discussed and challenged.
May 7, 2023 11:14 AM

Nov 2022
what depression does to a mf, author projecting hard af lol
May 28, 2023 3:49 PM
Apr 2020
uh ok? sure i like hearing everyone's thoughts and all but actually what is even happening?
Jun 5, 2023 7:08 AM
Sep 2021
Episódio totalmente psicológico e experimental.
Interessante e confuso ao mesmo tempo, mas eu gostei <3
Jun 24, 2023 7:40 PM
May 2023
EU...EU EXISTO???????

Achei interessante esses dois últimos episódios, achei que o autor foi muito corajoso em fazer um final desses, doq simplesmente colocar a Unidade 01 e algum anjo gigante para lutar pra fazer um "final épico" e todas as mensagens sobre a depressão do Shinji, o fato dele de odiar e ele finalmente entendendo isso, só reforça que por mais que esse personagem, seja raso, chato e q te faz ter bastante vontade de dropar o anime diversas vezes, é inegável que esse final me colocou muito para pensar sobre a vida e sobre o que torna a vida interessante, se é sobre aquilo que vemos, aquilo que experenciamos, ou se é algo até mais simples do que isso... Infelizmente não darei uma nota mais alta pois acho que Evangelion é uma história um pouco arrastada no início, que se vc não tiver determinação pode até dropar a obra por causa disso, mas não pode dizer que não valeu a pena ter garra e continuar a assistir essa obra, não me arrependo dos 3 dias que gatei vendo essa obra...
Jul 27, 2023 11:20 PM
Aug 2018
Wow the only episode where The only Interesting thing was the ED song , which I've skipped in the last 23 episodes
Oct 8, 2023 2:53 AM
Sep 2023
Shinji being alone with his own thoughts just makes this very unsettling. I did not expect Evangelion to drop another mindfuck on me but hey, it's time for the final episode.
Dec 9, 2023 8:34 AM

Jun 2020
I can understand why people dont like this episode and it can done in shorter time and dont need to be 20 minute. But i actually liked it. Its nice to hearing from them that they all feel alone in their own way and try to deal with it differently. Their relationships with families and what affect it had on them
Dec 17, 2023 7:58 AM
Oct 2023
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Dec 17, 2023 6:45 PM
Apr 2021
not a lot of animation on this one, huh
Jan 16, 12:19 AM

Dec 2022
this is the world where your mind decides what will be
Jan 20, 5:26 PM
Jun 2021
it really felt refreshing. if you followed all along, it helped for the viewer to kind of grasp the complexity of the charachters, and it didnt just brush them off and figure it all for yourself though out the entirety of the show. it depicted them as real people, with the human dilemma. it sculpted meaning into them rather than just leaving them off as quirky 2 dimensional charachters, it made them memorable. i really admire this episode, i argue against that it was mere "psycho babble", but it was something more dear, something more touching than babbles, to each their own friends :)
Mar 11, 9:53 PM

Apr 2016
That. Was fucking. Awesome!!!! Watching them all confront their deepest, darkest aspects that they hide from themselves was fucking gnarly!!!!

In the episode where Gendo and Shinji talk at Yui's grave, Gendo says forgetting is what let's people go on living (he says it another time... when he's on a train with his second in command I think). But the human mind'll be damned before it lets a single thing go; it's ability to hold on to stuff out of sight while that stuff leeches into and affects someone is crazy!!!

What am I doing? Why am I doing it? What do I REALLY want? What am I afraid of? Woo!!! They really dug through some shit! Trying to keep up with the separate mental explorations left me winded!!!
Mar 13, 4:44 AM

Jul 2017
the most important episode of the show if you ask me.
this helps a lot to understand the complexity of the characters, diving in the mind of Rei, Asuka, Misato and shinji, during instrumentality.
truly a masterpiece.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Mar 17, 8:23 AM
Feb 2024
I can't really say much
Mar 22, 3:57 PM
Feb 2024
wtf did i just watch
Apr 5, 9:04 PM

May 2015
Great episode. Loved the artistic approach. It is quite emotional and transparent, like something embarrassing you wouldn't normally talk about was spoken out loud.

These characters are all so traumatised :/

Apr 6, 8:36 AM

Mar 2022
Ah dear god, ah dear god this episode as well as the finale. I don’t know where to start honestly. For people who just think we don’t like this episode because of “Psychological Babble” that’s just wrong right there. For starters I don’t ya know don’t like the episode because it’s psychological more or less as the core premise, it’s more a fact that it suffered because of it’s budget and how it was executed. Thing is, yes, it does flesh out the characters on their backstories that I will give those people for, but here’s the thing, Evangelion up to this point has been a stellar show up till now, the only reason I’m NOT seeing it as a bad show is mainly because the fact that the Evangelion movies do exist as an alternative to what we were originally given.

Now it’s not the only thing in the Sci-Fi genre that restrictions in it’s production, for example two franchises come to mind with me: Transformers and Doctor Who (more specifically for the former, Beast Wars). Beast Wars as a show that had really dated CGI because of the 90s and the fact that CGI itself was in it’s earlier years as a piece of technology however the crew were able to make a great show out of this resource and made the characters likeable and memorable as well as the story being compelling to make it one of the best in the Transformers franchise.

Doctor Who, this only applies to the classic series and is widely known that the budget of the show at the time was on a shoestring budget and as a result the BBC had to make do with what they had because the executives thought that the show was going to be doomed from the start but much to their surprise, the creativity used for the various monsters, locations and stories as the cast for that show also being memorable, worked out for everyone on the production team.

Neon Genesis Evangelion on the other hand, has no excuse. We already know that Shinji has issues of his own, same with Misato, Asuka and Rei specifically and essentially the biggest problem with this episode is that BECAUSE it’s psychological, it comes off as rather repetitive and very headache inducing when you are trying to comprehend it all. There’s only so much one guy can take with seeing just text and the characters just sitting there with just their voices being the only thing that’s been heard. Yes they are traumatised, yes they are people with their fears and doubts I get it. But what happened to Seele? Are we ever going to look into the fact that Gendo was talking about Lillith and that stuff on his hand? What happened to Rei? What happened to Asuka? What happened to Ritsuko and all the others at NERV and the school? None of this is even addressed or even acknowledged in the whole layout of the episode. And it clearly shows as a result. It’s like GAINAX just gave up as soon they knew that they ran out of budget.

Again you can do so much more with the limitations you have, provided you make an effort. Note effort being put into the overall product. Which is something I wish I could believe with this episode.
Apr 13, 1:50 AM
Jul 2023
How the actual fuck is anyone meant to know what’s going on (story wise) without watching the movie before this XD you can’t just flash images of dead Misato and Ritsuko, and just have text saying the instrumentality started with no explanation.

Other than that, no complaints. People need to stop saying “psycho babble” and actually listen if they want to understand the characters. It’s a character driven show for gods sake guys -_-
Apr 24, 4:58 PM
Apr 2023
Another cool but strange episode. No action but we delve into the minds of different characters which was really cool. Very confusing but cool. Thought I’m very confused with the chronology if I should’ve watched ‘the first hour of EOE’ or not but ye we’ll find it. Not excited for this show to be over, but I still have 5 movies left lol.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.