Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jun 3, 2019 9:04 PM
Jan 2012
Really wasn't feeling this one compared to the previous few episodes, GenkiGuy on the previous page summed it up perfectly. Interesting direction/staging though.
Jul 31, 2019 1:56 AM
Jan 2019
I don't know why people said this episode is confusing. This is the easiest episode to comprehend for me in the last 8 eps because it's just the retrospect of 4 MCs. The only thing new is the concept of the Instrumentality. I'd say it's rather unnecessary than bad. So many unanswered questions and we only have 1 ep left. I wonder how they could end this.
Jul 31, 2019 2:11 PM
Jan 2018
No clue what the point of this episode was
Aug 1, 2019 1:49 AM

Dec 2015
@Mattinator95 To summarize the main characters "problems" at the dawn of the Instrumentality. (and to point certain events that occured after ep.24)

@maiawatchesanime "acting like misato sleeps around a lot" She tried to find confort in getting a "son" too, etc. Even if she ever only slept with Kaji, she did it a lot back in the days, so she has the right to consider sex (and men in general) to be one of her "problems" and way to run away.
That's only the way she represents this to herself when she tries to take some distance and be critical.

Kaworu was there for less than a day, I think. Nevertheless he was in total acceptance of Shinji and in the end sacrificed itself for Shinji('s species), no wonder the constantly "rejected" Shinji takes it hard and thinks he's worth less than this person.
Rei_IIIJul 28, 2020 10:48 PM
Aug 23, 2019 11:57 AM

Aug 2016
This was very trip episode... I wouldn't want to watch it on one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2019 5:50 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
RangFlash said:
I loved this episode. It was directed in a very strange and memorable way. The psycho babble was not really babble in my opinion, because it made sense when compared to the rest of the show.

This. Reading the comments I realize that a lot of people were not paying attention to the show. This not a no holds barred mecha action feast (although it has elements of that). The relationships between characters, the psychology of contact between people, parent/child relationships are all massively important.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 5, 2019 10:37 PM

Jul 2009
I like the episode! It's more or less a recap of what has happened and all the experiences, relationships and everyone around and help shape who you are today.

Rei said it best.

"The current me has been molded through contact with other people"

You have to look back what the characters were at the beginning. Sure Shinji is still a bitch, but he's beginning to understand how he no longer wants to be along anymore and probably can't back to his old ways.

It seems the "Human Instrumental Project" is more of a analysis of your own mind and the experience you made.

I have no doubt that Ikari maybe trying to revive Yui through Rei and using Rei's memories.

Already last episode! Let's do this shit!

Oct 6, 2019 9:03 PM

Oct 2012
It's like watching someone having mental breakdown but not only about himself, but also others :P
"Signature removed"
Apr 6, 2020 8:21 AM

Jun 2016
mel said:
Gotta be the worst episode I've ever watched.
It's like being locked in a dark room and hearing people bitch, moan, and scream at you for half an hour.

Oh wait, that pretty much summarizes this episode. Fucking Gainax.

Zelgato said:
I was dead tired when I saw this episode. It gave me a head ache.

Trust me, you don't need to be tired to get a headache off this.

I thought that I was the only one who got headache after watching the episode... Man damnit, 20+ minutes of this shit damnit.. They could've just summarized it in 5 minutes or less..

sayami said:
I didn't like this episode at all. It was so boring that I could hardly follow what they were talking about~ I hope the last episode won't be this pain in the ass to watch~

hope so lol

Moonfrost said:
All I get is that everyone is lonely and doesn't to be alone in this world.

Yeah lol, wtf is everyone doing mann
Apr 6, 2020 2:57 PM

Dec 2019
I just wasted 22 minutes...
                                                         🖤   

Apr 9, 2020 12:22 PM

Apr 2016
It is obvious that Shinji is suffering from PTSD and needs an intervention.

And his Dad's "Human Instrumentality Project" construct he created ain't the key to helping the young man move on.

He won the war but now has to live with that.

Kid needs proper therapy.

Powerful episode though. Showing the flaws inherent in the conceit of all these adventure scenarios. We're never shown the consequences of all the battles fought and how it effects the characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2020 11:26 PM
Jul 2008
M_A said:
Prayermad said:

you like crystal castles though. i mean come on, crystal castles. thats kinda like liking clannad.

oh wait...

Seriously?

What does my musical taste have to do with NGE? And the old "ill go look at his list and make fun of stuff that person liked" trick is really overused. Grow up.

But bruv, at the end of day when we watch anime we collectively seek enjoyment from watching a series such as this one right?! This a narrative visual storytelling medium. A story is composed and animated which then follows a 3 act structure for consumer consumption. As I’m watching the last 2 eps and wondering wtf am I consuming and trying to figure out the conclusion then this narrative has failed. By anyone saying you wasted your time if you can’t quite simply understand the last 2 episodes of a 2 dozen plus series is really ridiculous because the narrative was safely laid out for one to consume and took a nosedive off a cliff way too late in the game. If the series wanted to carry that tone it should’ve been executed much sooner about 20 episodes ago.
"To see with eyes unclouded by hate"

-Prince Ashitaka, "Princess Mononoke"
Jul 28, 2020 3:07 PM

Feb 2020
gosh this stuff is so Heavy i have a headache trying to wrap my head around it haha

i think i'm starting to understand, but man this is a baffling way to present all these ideas. and all of a sudden right at the end! from what i've read about the production of the show, this wasn't exactly the intended plan for the story so i can understand it being rushed, but i wish they had incorporated more of the philosophical and psychological themes from the start because it's so interesting

so the human instrumentality project is a way to combine everyone's souls into one so that everyone can live with the version of others they have created in their minds and not be burdened by the fallible nature of others? and in shinji's reality he is entirely alone? so he doesn't have to suffer the disappointment of letting people down and he doesn't act for the sake of praise from others? that's what i'm understanding. it's probably not entirely accurate but that's the fun of it, being provoked into thinking all these things

one thing that does confuse me is misato: they keep saying she seeks the comfort of other men so that she doesn't feel lonely, but we've only ever seen her with kaji? unless i've forgotten some big conversation or event that happened, acting like misato sleeps around a lot makes no sense to me because she hasn't? unless that's simply what she thinks other people think of her?

and asuka has such a tragic backstory, every time they go into it they reveal something else about her past. her devolving into catatonia and depression absolutely makes sense, her expectations of herself were sky high and when she didn't match them it's like all her self esteem just burst and her mind collapsed.

also how long was kaworu around for shinji to say he loved him and that he was a better person than shinji who deserved to live more? just curious. he seemed cool. shame.
Aug 6, 2020 10:17 PM

Mar 2019
This one was of the worst episodes I've ever seen for real, I dropped it like 2 times in the middle and I was struggling so much to finish it lol.
Aug 14, 2020 9:30 PM
Nov 2019
I’d rather watch this episode a hundred times than watch the first half of NGE! This may not be the best penultimate episode but its such a strong episode on its own! Why can’t the entirety of NGE be like this episode? Wouldve been perfection if it had. You can really see that Limitations enhances the artist to push more and break more boundaries for their craft!
Oct 14, 2020 7:44 AM

Aug 2018
Its not as bad episode as it is confusing and misleading. I just agree with many other people here : there is no point of this episode. It shows us such an unusual reflection of Shinji and his desires of different world.

I don't know what to expect from final episode tbh, but it probably won't effect my final appeal and rating of whole show too much
Nov 11, 2020 1:00 AM

Dec 2012
The case of Shinji.
The case of Asuka.
The case of Rei.
The case of Misato.
Shinji must search deep within the Misato that exists in his mind. lol
Misato is 29. 83-59-82. Weight 47.
The case of Asuka.
Dat ending.

Onward to the finale.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Mar 7, 2021 4:27 PM

Feb 2021
This is an episode of anime that I can unironically say was painful to watch. Literally worse than any filler episode I have ever seen; this could have all been summed up in 3 minutes.
Mar 8, 2021 9:37 PM
Dec 2014
most of people here are small minded idiot who doesnt understand what is going to on ..
remember theres a movie named END OF EVANGELION..
so stop your whining or go watch kodomo genre anime
Mar 10, 2021 3:59 AM

Nov 2019
Interesting introspections but way too time consuming, and it totally broke the climax that was building up towards the series finale.. But now let’s find out where everything is gonna lead..
Mar 10, 2021 10:44 PM

Mar 2010
this episode dont even surprise me anymore but it was still really hard to pay attention to.
Mar 17, 2021 11:22 PM
Feb 2021
My head hurts, but I do understand this episode’s intention. It gives more meaning to the anime as a whole.
Mar 31, 2021 8:10 PM

Jun 2020
then said:
No idea what happened
You're not the only one. Although I think I did learn a lot about some characters

So does the Human Instrumentality Project make everyone live in an ideal world? I'm so confused. Why wasn't the enaction of the project shown?
Mar 31, 2021 8:34 PM

Sep 2020
GoZha said:
then said:
No idea what happened
You're not the only one. Although I think I did learn a lot about some characters

So does the Human Instrumentality Project make everyone live in an ideal world? I'm so confused. Why wasn't the enaction of the project shown?

This is where the thrill begins,you get preached about freedom,pay attention,if you understand everything you maybe cry,same like eren freedom lines when fight,but this is with subtlety while eren has nothing so we didn't notice that eren is actuallly deep

PM or something homie if you want discuss some
Jun 7, 2021 1:24 PM
May 2012
Why so repetitive? Trying way too hard to be deep. Would have worked, but nah, this felt so unnatural and forced to me.
Jun 11, 2021 10:29 PM

Apr 2020
Pretty okay psychological episode ig. Didn't really find it boring

And I guess their enemy in the last episode is Seele?
Jul 3, 2021 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
Absolute trash episode. Garbage. Maaan, I'm sorry. I had high hopes for this series and I know there's a talented production crew. But we must acknowledge that at this point they drained their funds and were relying on minimal animation.

You really think we wanna sit around for 20 minutes watching the characters sit in a chair in a black void and babble to themselves. This is NOT how characters battle inner turmoil or deal with problems -- at least, not in film or anime or whatever. There's a golden rule called "show, don't tell". EXPERIENCES need to cause epiphanies for the characters -- not characters talking to themselves.

There are a thousand other ways to demonstrate soul-searching, and this AiN't it chief.

A 9/10 anime just stooped to a 3-5 out of 10 anime, which I can't say for many.

I'm SO glad, for the showrunner's sakes, that they compensated for this atrocity -- for lack of better words, I apologize -- by making a new Episode 25 and Episode 26. I haven't seen them yet, but I've heard they were made to substitute for the lackluster initial final episodes. And that reception was better for the redo's.
Jul 17, 2021 7:27 PM
Jan 2020
If you ask me, The events of this episode and the next are all in Shinji's head.
Jul 26, 2021 12:52 AM
Jul 2021
WTF is happening?
Aug 14, 2021 3:39 PM

Jan 2021
At some points it felt like they were asking me all these questions and telling me all these things and it hit a bit to close to home
Aug 15, 2021 9:01 AM
Aug 2021
This mind rape has to come to an end.
Sep 18, 2021 6:39 PM

May 2019
I guess this is what I expected from a mal discussion board but it's still disappointing to see. Anyway this is the episode that made me realize why this show is legendary, not to discredit the last 10 or so episodes of course. To have such an unfortunate turn of events with script rewrites or whatever other production issues it may have been, they really made something special out of it. They just stripped back the facade of the plot that doesn't really matter anyway and showed us what we actually watch the show for. Sure it's super straightforward but it asserts itself so well for how radically different it is from the rest of the show.
Sep 26, 2021 8:59 PM

Mar 2017
saoz3 said:
I guess this is what I expected from a mal discussion board but it's still disappointing to see. Anyway this is the episode that made me realize why this show is legendary, not to discredit the last 10 or so episodes of course. To have such an unfortunate turn of events with script rewrites or whatever other production issues it may have been, they really made something special out of it. They just stripped back the facade of the plot that doesn't really matter anyway and showed us what we actually watch the show for. Sure it's super straightforward but it asserts itself so well for how radically different it is from the rest of the show.

Yea, ADHD generation with no more than 5 minutes of attention span just flooding the discussion. Disappointed but not surprised.
Oct 25, 2021 9:01 PM

Jun 2017
I guess it's just the timing of when I watched the episode because compared to years ago in the early replies I have a different opinion where I actually sympathized with the thoughts. I don't know how to interpret this episode other than I was enthralled and understood it.
Nov 7, 2021 9:58 AM
Aug 2018
I unironically have a headache after that, the fuck just happened?

Can't say I liked that much, it honestly just felt like filler. But I dunno, maybe I'll appreciate it more on rewatch and after I see EoE? I understood very little of what was going on and it was difficult to even pay attention for a lot of it.
Nov 19, 2021 6:09 AM

Aug 2020
Well shit... I understand that this episode was to add more depth with a lot of nuances; however, it was such a pain to go through.

Can't believe the next episode is the last.

Also, that scene I see every, where Shinji is sitting on his chair depressed:

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 27, 2021 9:36 AM
Nov 2020
I watch EoE movie first, then paused at the scene where Asuka and Shinji are fighting and they spill coffee, then watch this episode and 26,then finish EoE movie
Dec 18, 2021 11:44 AM

May 2019
I watched EoE before this so it makes more sense. I honestly recommend that. It explains the human instrumentality and why people are going through changes and what not. I really liked this as a different view/take on things.

Really explores the pain, the history, and the development of the characters. It also explores their relationships.

I thought it was great but can see why Hideaki Anno made the movie, great choice on his part.
Dec 27, 2021 10:49 PM

Apr 2020
deepest episode of the series so far
water
Jan 3, 2022 3:52 PM

Jul 2021
What a confusing and tedious episode, they could have summed up everything that happened so easily.
asdasdsadad
Jan 13, 2022 9:30 PM

Jan 2016
Bruh Tohji was pretty much just forgotten about. Nothing about him being the Fourth Children was ever mentioned again...
Jan 14, 2022 10:53 PM

Mar 2018
I get what they were going for with this episode but it just wasn't executed properly, left feeling like a faint attempt to be psychological.

EP 25 TLDR; Everyone doesn't want to be lonely ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 2, 2022 11:48 PM

Jan 2021
That was one heavy episode. Honestly, these last few episodes were pretentious af.

Execution could've been better for this one.
Lots of repetitive monologues here but second half with Misato was good.
Mar 20, 2022 7:46 PM
Dec 2021
Episodes 25 and 26 just plain sucked. I couldn't even make it half way through 25 without having to turn it off. Had to force myself to watch the rest, cringing almost the entire time, just to see if it got better. But nope. Just a huge waste of time and a total disappointment. If I wanted to watch people whinging for an hour straight I'd just watch daytime television.

The last two episodes ruined this series for me. By the end of episode 24 I was ready to score a 10. The last two episodes alone brought that score down to a generous 4.
Mar 23, 2022 1:04 PM
Jul 2020
Lumayan sih, tapi makin ke akhir episode makin banyak scene yang gitu-gitu saja dengan durasi yang lama.

Apr 7, 2022 9:54 PM
Jul 2018
What did I even just watch? Gave off monogatari vibes
Apr 9, 2022 1:14 AM

Dec 2021
such a good episode, i like how the stage is used to not only shed their selfishness into light but to also put your attention into the characters and their inner conflicts. what eva has always been about. brilliant how well they did the entire self realization thing, i suppose it gets a lot of flak because of how anti-climatic and confusing it is (the budget running out is one reason) but i still think this is really good regardless. really hyped for 26 and how well they'll conclude its themes and characters, feeling a 10 + better than eoe (?)
cosmicoisrealApr 9, 2022 1:44 AM
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 9, 2022 7:14 PM

Aug 2019
Damn really good episode for showing all the characters problems or true colours. Even though i probably only understood less then a fraction of it, heck probably less after taking a break from watching and coming back to this, this ep still sent hell chills down my spine.

Shinji's instrumentality, Asaka's separation anxiety, Rei's multiple clones conflicting with who Rei actually is as an individual was really all my brain could comprehend this episode. Still scratching my head at misato's deal but either way shit was wild and i loved it
May 2, 2022 9:37 AM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch
Fortress_MaximusMay 2, 2022 9:54 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 4, 2022 8:53 AM

Feb 2021
Lol, I so feel you guys. This episode made absolutely so fucking sense tbh. But lucky for me, I had watched Death and Rebirth, seen this episode twice and saw an "Evangelion explained in 7 mins" video on YouTube.

To say the least, now I think I have got a pretty clear understanding of this anime. Idk why the director didn't just make it easy to understand and had to make it all so subtle and philosophical.

If anyone's stumped on this anime or particularly after this episode, I highly recommend ya'll to check this video out.

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

186 by vinnywizanime »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.