Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 26, 2017 4:41 PM

Jul 2013
I'm slowly shipping Rei and Shinji. I love that cute moment they had together.
Oct 27, 2017 9:05 AM

Dec 2015
kawaiinekolover said:
I'm slowly shipping

Think about it again in 7+ épisode (depending if you reach the truth before it's blurt out on the screen). XD (not laughing about you)

Also, you're better off with the current theatrical series if you're into that kind of watching. Don't expect something in this department here, sorry.

Have a good watch.

===
@idunkno Mmh... how exactly can the movies butcher the pre-existing show when:
1/ they add nothing to the TV series, unlike The End,
2/ the only movie fully adapted from the TV series is pretty close to it in term of events and Shinji's main reactions.
3/ they are their own thing.

By the way, I only stated a fact: if people are in for the kind of modern viewing where you wish for certain pairings to be formed, they should better focus their attention to the "Shin Eva" movies, especially the 2nd one.

===========

April 8, 2020
@tabernac "Maybe" the actual target isn't Tokyo-3 but something there. ;)
Rei_IIIApr 8, 2020 7:04 AM
Oct 27, 2017 12:19 PM

Jul 2013
Rei366 said:
kawaiinekolover said:
I'm slowly shipping

Think about it again in 7+ épisode (depending if you reach the truth before it's blurt out on the screen). XD (not laughing about you)

Also, you're better off with the current theatrical series if you're into that kind of watching. Don't expect something in this department here, sorry.

Have a good watch.

Thanks for letting me know! It's my first time watching Evangelion and I'm enjoying the show so far. :3
Jan 20, 2018 2:42 PM

Apr 2015
I love how Misato called the Angel attacking NERV headquarters a "sassy bastard". I also love how she's got the power to be like "Let's take all the power in Japan!" and everyone else just goes along with her.

I'm starting to understand an "Evangelion in a Nutshell" YouTube animation/sketch I watched a while back. "Shinji, you must pilot the EVA." "Noooo I'm afraid!" "If he can't do it, REI MUST DO IT!" Things haven't gotten that dramatic though yet I guess, as all it took was a tiny, subtle little push from Rei for Shinji to pilot again.

I love Rei's soft voice. And her smile...I want to protect it.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 16, 2018 4:50 PM

Mar 2016
Shinji is maturing, at a slow rate but he's advancing. His relationship with Rei is getting closer now, and what better way to end a night for Shinji by convincing Rei to smile after saving the city again using a device that uses the whole of Japan's electricity... That smile is really cute and definitely rare for a kuudere like Rei.
Feb 26, 2018 5:53 PM

Sep 2017
What a nice ep. Rei and Shinji reunion was really great. But I am really concerned about what happened to the target. But the action sequences and the prep sequences were well made.

I hope that Rei becomes a good reason for Shinji to pilot the Eva.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 7, 2018 11:31 AM

Feb 2018
Such a great episode.
Love the fact that battles in this anime aren't some giant robots senselessly beating on each other and screaming, but slow, strategic chess games.

Not a fan of over-the-top way of doing things, but taking all of Japan's electricity was pretty badass, loved it :D

Shinji only acts as a normal person would do when thrown into a war with such high stakes, he is very lovable imo.

Nice to see Rei smile at Shinji, finally.
Mar 17, 2018 3:09 AM

Aug 2017
The battle was short but very intense. I'm glad that Rei is ok after that. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 24, 2018 2:17 AM

Feb 2017
Charming episode. Like father, like son.
Oct 25, 2018 1:38 PM

Aug 2013
OMG. I remembered this series completely different. Well, to be expected. I watched it for the first time when I was 10, 18 years ago.
Animation quality is superb. Hand drawn mecha, explosions and literally everything. Eyegasm.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 28, 2018 4:00 PM
Feb 2018
kawaiinekolover said:
Rei366 said:

Have a good watch.

Thanks for letting me know! It's my first time watching Evangelion and I'm enjoying the show so far. :3

Don't listen to that guy. Especially not with the theatrical releases which completely butcheres this series.
Dec 5, 2018 9:41 AM

Aug 2016
I am bit cofused here, since when and how Shinji went "Holy sh*t, is she in some sort of relationship with my father?" To "Smile, we are best pals and shiat for each other."
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 7, 2018 12:17 PM

Aug 2013
The smile at the end was cute.

Jan 9, 2019 6:40 PM
Jan 2019
One of my favorites episodes. It really works well as a continuation of the last episode and also shows that Rei isn't a plain character, we just don't understand her yet.
The fighting scene is good, the Angel this time is quiet different of the last 2 and it's nice to see a different type of combat to show how they deal with different enemies.
Also, the last scene is cute AF.
Feb 9, 2019 10:52 PM
Jul 2018
why are the episodes so boring? Should I drop it?
Apr 22, 2019 8:03 AM

May 2016
Misato's a really good captain after all even with her goofy attitude outside of the field and procuring a giant electric sniper rifle then redirecting the power of the whole country into it to beat a flying diamond drill thingy's pretty awesome.

Since they finally both saw each other naked, Shinji and Rei's pretty much even now. Despite the awkward relationship they both shared until that battle against the angel, Rei's determination to protect Shinji plus that smile she gave at the end and the kid immediately running to her aid to see if she was okay then crying out of relief when he found out that she's safe made me feel really happy.

May 15, 2019 8:44 PM
Apr 2016
Honestly I don't like Rei, still. I can't blame Shinji for getting all sentimental at the end, he is a young teen after all. Good that they handled the mission. Good episode.
May 30, 2019 8:08 PM

Dec 2018
omg rei smiling at the end, i'm a mess. ;_;
Jun 29, 2019 2:17 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode! That was depressing when Rei did say "Goodbye" as if this was her final mission.

Good to her smile! Want more!!!

Next one should be ace!
Jul 21, 2019 1:58 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This episode is still as great as I remember. The directing is superb. The sense of foreboding, the buildup up to the shots, the drama with Ayanami. Just superb.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 26, 2019 9:58 PM

Jun 2015
i want more ayanami smiling :)
Oct 5, 2019 5:29 AM

Oct 2012
Smiling Rei is probably the cutest thing in this anime
Also Shinji is looking "tough" in this episode, which is a good thing for once

Awww, I love this episode
Surely it can't get worse than this :P
"Signature removed"
Oct 29, 2019 6:15 AM

Sep 2011
Great episode, that moment between Shinji and Rei was adorable. I wonder if they will have a relationship in the future.

The battle in this episode was really nice, all strategic.
Apr 7, 2020 5:28 PM

Apr 2016
Okay so it seems that the Angels only attack Neo-Tokyo 3.

So why not nuke N-T3 and remove the motivation for the enemy to attack?

Sorry...I'll stop now.

Rei is awesome. She really should be the star. But I say that pretty well for every anime I've watched.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2020 12:13 PM

Apr 2016
Rei_III said:
kawaiinekolover said:
I'm slowly shipping

Have a good watch.

===
@idunkno Mmh... how exactly can the movies butcher the pre-existing show when:
1/ they add nothing to the TV series, unlike The End,
2/ the only movie fully adapted from the TV series is pretty close to it in term of events and Shinji's main reactions.
3/ they are their own thing.

By the way, I only stated a fact: if people are in for the kind of modern viewing where you wish for certain pairings to be formed, they should better focus their attention to the "Shin Eva" movies, especially the 2nd one.

===========

April 8, 2020
@tabernac "Maybe" the actual target isn't Tokyo-3 but something there. ;)

Then they should keep the town free from ppl. Just have the Nerv employees present.

Save time and effort and even money, cuz they don't have to keep repairing the town.

I know it's just a show...:D :D
Apr 8, 2020 1:59 PM

Dec 2015

tabernac said:
They should keep the town free from ppl. Just have the Nerv employees present.

But.. but... rthat's an international sect's secret. Plus, everything was kinda funded by public funds (along private ones): how would they justify having a whole inoccupied town in a world with not enough space?
Anyway, most peoples there work for the NERV/military or work to run the living facilities for those peoples (imagine those american bases "mini-cities" in a bigger scale). At least, that's what I always thought.

@maiawatchesanime Since you like the style (the chara-design I guess), may I direct you toward Sadamoto's other works like Fushigi no Umi no Nadia, a fun "old-school" adventure that surprisingly grows serious while turning to the big Sci-fi Anno & co. love, and Honneamise no Tsubasa that's probably the most gorgeous and detailed looking anime he participated to (at its time, the most expensive japanese animation, a theatrical release of course) ?
Naturally his artbook, Der Mond, looks gorgeous too.
Rei_IIIJul 14, 2020 1:10 AM
Apr 20, 2020 11:27 PM

Apr 2020
I enjoy the tension building in the series so far. Each time the Angels attack the show has managed to make it interesting by making the audience ask a different question:

1. Can Shinji pilot this thing?
2. Can Shinji take this thing on with innocent people on the battlefield?
3. Can Shinji and Rei work together?

So far so great with this show. Love the exploration of the emotional toll this is taking on the characters.
Jun 21, 2020 6:51 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Rei's smile <3 must... protecc...

Coming in to this a second time and I'm enjoying it a lot more. OP is a classic.
Jul 11, 2020 7:53 AM

Dec 2010
I keep getting surprised by this happening, but I really can't say that the original doesn't hold up to the EVA movies, despite the difference in budget and production times. I daresay this episode's finale actually surpasses the one in the movie.

Cathedral said:
Hehe, and Shinji is such a sensitive 14-year-old boy.
Maybe he looks like the crazy person, when he seems to be the only person left in this world with emotional sensitivity(and Misato for cutting him some slack for what he's going through, I'll give her that).
Jul 11, 2020 7:22 PM

Feb 2020
what a tense episode i love it

i like how all the characters are emotionally stunted and unsure of themselves and how to express their feelings. it's a nice change and it fits with what they are going through

the animation feels so smooth and oh have i mentioned how much i love the art style because i do i really do
Sep 26, 2020 6:11 AM

Apr 2020
What a Battle! I was on the edge of the seat the whole time.

Good to see Rei smile. Hope she opens up in school too.
--AbiSa--
Oct 8, 2020 5:31 AM

Aug 2018
Very good episode, Shinji and Rei are finaly working together and their chemistry is great
Oct 28, 2020 1:31 AM

Dec 2012
LMAO They brought him back underground with the quickness.
Dat drill.
lol at Rei in the Eva lifting the roof.
From all of Japan?
Toji and Kensuke playing games and eating Not-McDonalds.
Shinji is awake.
Rei.
Toji and Kensuke waiting to see Shinji.
Pen Pen.
Operation time.
Dat Misato lick.
It missed.
Rei protects Shinji.
The drill stopped.
Dat smile.
Dat ending.

Misato was so pretty this episode. Also, that was a drill that was gonna pierce the undergrounds.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 29, 2020 11:07 PM

Aug 2019
damn things got real intense again, once again Shinji has to handle the pressure of the human race on his shoulders with those shots. They really could not have made it any less subtle though, "currently the fate of japan is in you're hands again, yeh you're the only person who can do this, don't miss or we all die" swear to god if his dad dosen't even say a thing to him after this, imma flip.

Ngl, even when there's a giant fucking alien space pyramid of death that uno reverse cards every attack, shooting a deadly laser with pin point accuracy, and is currently drilling into the very facility she's sitting in to kill all of them, Misato can still act pretty upbeat and energetic in the situation, and i really like her character because of that.

Holy shit that ending, that smile from Rei surprised me with how cute it was. Always nice to see the kuudere show some emotion :)
Mar 4, 2021 2:52 PM

Mar 2010
No surprise that Shinji who looks like he had no family love won't be confident. The end was cute with both Shinji and Rei.
StardewMar 4, 2021 2:59 PM
Mar 6, 2021 4:09 PM

Nov 2019
This was a rather good episode for a change! And I’m glad Rei showed a little humanity towards Shinji
Mar 18, 2021 10:31 PM

Jun 2020
Hmmm wonder what Rei's trauma is.
I wanna say something about Shinji x Rei but Asuka hasn't been introduced yet
Mar 24, 2021 11:47 AM

Jun 2016
Cathedral said:
For an all-or-nothing shot that can save or destroy humanity, that wasn't built up very much or felt all that important after it happened.

Yeah, when Misato goes around gleefully requisitioning an experimental positron cannon and all of Japan's electricity for a day, it makes it obvious that the plan is going to work no matter how silly it is. It also makes it quite a poor episode to try and thin out the animation budget on. Oh well, at least there were some good character moments.
Apr 20, 2021 3:45 AM
Jan 2020
still don't feel their connection to each other, felt kinda force romance
Apr 28, 2021 1:33 PM

Apr 2021
God Fucking D A M N

5/5
May 7, 2021 9:15 PM
Jul 2018

Wow, six episodes in and this is the first time Rei does something likable lmao. Really cute ending. I feel like in almost any other instance it'd be really cheesy, but there was something wholesome and touching about it. I like how genuine Rei's smile was. But to think, it was most likely because of whatever similarities she sees in Shinji compared to his father.

(Also, absolutely zero romance. And "chemistry" isn't the right word because that implies romance. At least in the way people are using the term.
We're looking at a relationship dyanmic here. I don't know how this anime pans out, as I'm watching and reacting live, but so far it seems strictly platonic. It's irritating how people think romance is being implied simply because they're different genders, the same age, and have some things in common. To me, it just seemed like Shinji was really empathetic toward Rei. He was touched that she protected him. And thought the way she said "goodbye" before the mission was sad. He also acknowledges that Rei says she's alone or has nobody (I think she said)... which I feel like he could relate to. Hence the tears. All of that cultimating. He barely knows Rei, but they have so much in common that she's somewhat of a reflection of himself. He's been through depression or whatever so he understands Rei's internal struggles and wants to help. ... I mean, heck, if romance were being implied, you'd think it would shine through during the changing scenes. But the way he looks at her when she's getting dressed -- you can tell he thinks absolutely nothing of it. It screams platonic.)

I LOVE the designs for the aliens. So menacing. We went from a humanoid monster to an arthropod to a frickin diamond lol. I like to think of the diamond as an actual creature instead of some technological fortress. That makes it even more ominous.
removed-userMay 7, 2021 9:47 PM
May 7, 2021 9:53 PM
Jul 2018

MM, one of my all-time favorite dishes. Gordon Ramsey would be quivering in his trousers if he saw this.

In a counterclockwise presentation: unseasoned mashed potatoes, an over medium egg, a wheat roll, a carrot and yam puree, red bean paste, and pudding. The perfect combination of carbs and protein. And GASP who could forget the 1% milk. 300mL because Shinji's a growing boy. #CalciumGOALS

All lovingly delivered on a silver platter by Ramona Flowers. <3
May 29, 2021 6:23 PM

Jul 2019
Great episode. All I remember is drill-chan and Rei smile <3333

I just want Rei to be happy.
Jun 7, 2021 3:11 AM
Dec 2020
ahhh What a nice episode. Her Smile was So Cute!!
Jun 8, 2021 10:29 PM

Apr 2020
Well that was a cool episode.

Kinda weird that I ship them and I don't at the same time
Aug 9, 2021 12:43 AM

Jan 2021
That was nice and also think about it why did the angel start digging to attack the nerv headquarters someone has to be controlling them
Nov 2, 2021 8:33 AM

Aug 2020
Like father, like son.

Well, at least now Shinji and Rei can get close to one another (hopefully).

I wonder what that penguin's role in this show is for.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 23, 2021 9:02 AM
Nov 2020
This show is definitely go somewhere. The next few parts will be fun, than shit will hit the fan.
Dec 14, 2021 9:49 PM

May 2019
Of course Misato would go down to see and help Shinji and not Gendo. Dude doesn't give a crap about his kid.
Obviously the angels have some form of consciousness/awareness otherwise it wouldn't know where NERV was and attack the place.

Poor Rei..."I have nothing else."
Shinji managed to get through to her, I would think, by caring about her and opening the capsule.
These poor kids man.

Jan 2, 2022 7:50 AM

Jul 2021
Finally Shinji managed to do something in this anime, I was thinking he wouldn't want to pilot again.
Because of what happened at the end of the episode, I think Rei and Shinji will start to become friends.
LelewoskiJan 2, 2022 4:41 PM
asdasdsadad
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.