Forums
New
Jan 27, 2014 5:59 AM

Dec 2013
Which one do you like? and the reason
Jan 27, 2014 6:05 AM

Jan 2014
Both
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2014 6:08 AM

Jul 2013
Both, because they both have their admirable qualities.

I enjoy the light hearted adventurous tone of Greed Island, but I also enjoy the ominous presence and sense of urgency in the Chimera Ant arc.

Actually, a major part of why I like Hunter x Hunter is because of how seamless the transitions in tone are. You can go from light to dark, or vice versa, within a couple of episodes, and it all pans out without seeming forced.
Jan 27, 2014 6:24 AM
Sep 2013
Chimera Ant arc by a hair but I fucking love Greed Island. If they adapt the remainder of the palace invasion well then that gap will increase. Nothing beats Yorknew though, it's a cut above the rest.
Jan 27, 2014 8:39 AM

Nov 2013
I prefer the Chimera Ant Arc.

Imo. Chimera Ant Arc>Yorkshin>CE>Heavens Arena> Greed Island= Hunter Exam

FaltronaFeb 16, 2014 6:17 AM
Jan 27, 2014 9:06 AM
Jan 2013
I gotta go with the Chimera Ant arc aswell, but i probably liked the first two the most.
Jan 27, 2014 9:51 AM

Jun 2009
Seems kind of strange to make this thread when Chimera Ant isn't even over. But, yeah, I definitely go with CA. Though both are pretty great, I think the writing and characters like Meruem, Komugi, Neferpitou, etc are some of the best the series has ever offered.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 27, 2014 9:58 AM

Jun 2013
The Chimera Ant arc isn't even over, lol. But from what i can tell, from the most likely upcoming battles. Definitely the Chimera Ant arc
If I drive for you, you get your money. You tell me where we start, where we're going, where we're going afterwards. I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive.
Jan 27, 2014 10:01 AM

Mar 2012
Chimaera Ant quickly became the best after the Meruem's birth, but I think Greed Island was better than the first half of the Chimaera Ant arc. They're both significantly better than the previous arcs though.

Also, insan3Spectre is absolutely correct about Meruem, Komugi and Neferpitou. Those three are the main reasons that I prefer the Chimaera Ant arc.
Jan 27, 2014 10:05 AM

Nov 2013
Chimera Ant arc hands down, it's currently my favourite anime arc so far, I marathon the 1999 version so as to catch up and it was worth it, the characters, the music, the atmosphere, the writing, to me everything about this arc is perfect
"Now, let us drink. Let us drink. Drink to the human race. In every age, there will be good humans and bad humans. Human life is too long to devote to reproduction, yet too short to devote to learning, in the helix of time. Perhaps that is why humans succumb to desire and seek release. Despite the fact that life is complete with the sun, the land and poetry." Supreme Leader Diego(Real) (Hunter x Hunter 2011)
Jan 27, 2014 10:07 AM

Nov 2012
Chimaera Ant is better in the end. But the middle part of this arc where Hunter x hunter worst episodes /chapters. Not that they where bad in fact they where still good. But they where the baddest from all in my opinion. The beginning and ending are 10's though (of the Chimarea arc i mean). Somehow my favourite is still the Exam arc.
Jan 27, 2014 1:03 PM

Oct 2011
In the manga, I always rated it as:

Yorkshin> Greed Island> Hunter Exam > Chimera Ant

Still debating on what to rank it post-anime. Most likely going to wait for a full on rewatch of the Chimera Ant arc to give it a fair assessment since right now most of my opinions would be off of a weekly/episode basis rather than actually examining the arc as a whole. The anime still had some of the similar issues I had with the arc in the manga though which were: erratic pacing, the beginning was really slow, inconsistent on an episode to episode basis (in the manga chapter-chapter). But overall, the anime adaption of the arc has been better so I want to wait to give it a fair assessment. Even though I have rewatched the other arcs in full, I'd like to get another full rewatch of the series in as well to be fair. However, just going off of the anime's adaptions, my rankings as of now would probably go something like this:

Yorkshin> Greed Island> Chimera Ant> Hunter Exam

My main reason for still preferring Greed Island is just simply that the Chimera Ant is not done yet. Greed Island has the current benefit of showing the arc's conclusion as well as the primary battles which Chimera Ant is in the process of doing. So in time, it could potentially edge out Greed Island for me and if it does it will be due to the overwhelming sense of danger that the world is going to end and the serious feelings of hopelessness in the face of an unbeatable opponent that none of the other arcs really have and also due to the more serious nature (Yorkshin did have a few of these elements as well). These were things that were present in the manga, but there are just some things you can't do with manga to create that tone such as backgrounds, coloring and OSTs. But for now, I'd still give the edge to Greed Island and its light hearted nature.
fearthebeard85Jan 27, 2014 1:06 PM
Jan 27, 2014 1:09 PM
Jul 2012
CA so far. Though, I still need to catch up to the latest arc since I've see bunch of great stuff, and I am missing some great stuff due to laziness. Why CA is better than Greed Island? Because I think it's quite entertaining arc that it's the longest arc I seen so far out of HXH, and interesting setups just like other arcs except Greed where that arc was too boring.
Jan 27, 2014 1:32 PM
Aug 2012
greed island was so stupid
Jan 27, 2014 3:35 PM

Jul 2013
G.I. just doesn't work that well in ongoing-anime form. Parts of CA as well.

I definitely prefer CA, though. Thematically, it's my favorite arc.
Jan 28, 2014 6:40 AM

Feb 2013
Didn't like the training arcs much in Greed Island. Biske-chama is cool but that's it. Once it got to the dodge-ball my attention was finally there. Still my least favorite major arc.
Jan 28, 2014 1:55 PM

Nov 2010
Yorknew Arc.
Jan 29, 2014 10:24 AM

Aug 2010
People liked Greed Island? I mean, the second half was pretty sweet, but I thought it was the silliest and weakest arc by far.

Chimera Ant Arc connects the overall plot to what the rest of HxH will be. It's also much larger in impact and scale.

If anything, compare it to Yorkshin.
Jan 29, 2014 4:09 PM

May 2008
I'm sorry but the Chimera Ants made this Anime I tad but ridiculous for me. I still love it and watch it though, but the character designs for them don't really sit well with me.
Jan 29, 2014 4:13 PM

Dec 2013
Greed Island was awesome! Just a different way of fighting within an anime and that's when Gon and Killua became amazing Nen users!

Chimera Ants was probably just as good. I didn't read the manga but up to the point in the anime... I would say Greed Island just by a little bit.
"When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No! When he suffers a disease? No! When he ate a soup made out of a poisonous mushroom? No! A man dies when he is forgotten!"
- Dr. Hiluluk
Jan 29, 2014 4:25 PM

Jul 2012
If we are talking about the beginning of the arcs, I would pick Greed Island because I hated the Chimera arc at the beginning. I mean seriously? An ant as a villian?! But later on with Netero and the King and everyone else... the Chimera Ant is my FAVORITE arc. #HunterxHunter4Life
Jan 29, 2014 5:57 PM

Jan 2014
I'ts different when you compare them, GI is enjoying and lighthearted while CA is really intense, though both of them really good.

Me personally like CA more..
Jan 29, 2014 5:58 PM

Dec 2010
Honestly, all the arcs have been damn amazing in their own way. I think my least favorite was Greed Island however, because I disliked Bomber.
Jan 29, 2014 6:03 PM

May 2013
I like both but I definitely prefer Chimera Ant. I've read the manga up to the end of it (shit scans online btw pls dun hurt your eyes animu fans) so I can say that with confidence. GI was admittedly lackluster to me - I feel that the full potential for the setting was never realized, and much of the arc was simply nen training (which isn't inherently bad, but it can only hold my interest for so long). The Bomber was also a boring villain, he was just a sadistic bastard, nothing more. Meruem is far more compelling imo. Character development in the latter half of CA (I'm not quite sure where the anime is atm so dunno if we've already gotten into those parts...I know the invasion's started, that's it) was also much better than anything we got in GI, I think.
Jan 29, 2014 6:33 PM

May 2013
I love both.

Greed Island had great worldbuilding, Bisky, that awesome dodgeball game, and had that light-hearted (mostly) adventure feeling that no other arc aside from the Hunter Exam had. Also, Gon's battle against the Bomber has to be one of the best anime boss fights ever, period.

However, I would rank Chimera Ant far above Greed Island all the same. The intensity, darkness, and brutality of this arc definitely set it apart, but where it really shines is in its characters and themes. Komugi, the King, and the Royal Guards are all absolutely fantastic characters, and some of the best the series has given us, if not the best IMO. The way the arc explores certain themes such as individuality and the nature of humanity is utterly brilliant as well. It's my favorite HxH arc, right above Yorkshin, and was a big part of the reason that HxH got up so high on my favorites list.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 6, 2014 1:39 AM

Jan 2013
Both Greed Island AND Chimera Ant Arc ARE AWESOME
'"Hearts, you say? You Humans are always so quick to speak of such things. As though you carry your hearts in the very palms of your hands. But this eye of mine perceives all. There is nothing that it overlooks. If this eye cannot see a thing, then it does not exist. That is the assumption under which I have always fought. What is this "heart"? If I tear open that chest of yours, will I see it there? If I smash open that skull of yours, will I see it there?4th Espada

Feb 6, 2014 11:38 AM

Nov 2008
As a whole entire arc itself I prefer Chimera Ant Arc (I've read the manga). Awesome character development and plot building from Togashi.
Feb 6, 2014 12:58 PM

Jun 2011
I prefer the Chimera Ant arc over Greed Island overall though there are certain parts that I prefer in Greed Island (the Dodgeball game, for instance). But my personal favorite arc is still the Yorkshin arc.
Not to mention that the CA arc does cover about 1/3 of the manga so it's a really big arc.

Feb 6, 2014 1:15 PM

Feb 2009
While I am enjoying the Chimera Ant arc and all, I think I liked Greed Island better. I enjoyed the training with Biske and that dodgeball game was beyond intense.

However, this series as a whole is just a simply amazing one and I find all the storylines so far to be fantastic.

Honestly, my favorite moments in the series took place in Heaven's Arena, I really liked those episodes.
Feb 6, 2014 8:42 PM

May 2012
Honestly, they're probably my two least favorites but at least GI was short and fairly painless(It also had Hisoka). Although the CA arc has introduced some interesting new characters it is just way too long.
Feb 9, 2014 9:40 PM

Apr 2011
I prefer the Green Island in the 1999 version

but between the GI 1999 and CA 2011 , I choose CA 2011.
Feb 10, 2014 1:23 AM

Jul 2007
ovoon7 said:
People liked Greed Island? I mean, the second half was pretty sweet, but I thought it was the silliest and weakest arc by far.

Chimera Ant Arc connects the overall plot to what the rest of HxH will be. It's also much larger in impact and scale.

If anything, compare it to Yorkshin.

I would say the next arc expands more of the core elements of the plot of Hxh as it has some pretty interesting world developments and new concepts introduces within the Hxh universe that will probably end up being used for years to come, if togashi ever comes back and starts to write again.

Anyways i wish i can give an opinion, but from what i have glanced i have seen the quality and the production that madhouse studio has presented in this new series and also from a friend of mine that watches it alot has told me that its just nothing short of amazing. I am a manga reader my self, started reading Hxh when it was first serialized, speaking from just a story perspective, not the actual anime remake. I would probably consider Yorknew and Hunter Exam to be probably close to the same for me. It is hard to pick one or the other. I really like the Hunter exam as it really helped influence alot of other anime series, namely masashi kishimoto's naruto manga and of course alot of others, that arc was very influential to alot of other shonen manga. The CA arc also really shown exceptional characterization, probably some of the best character development in the story and in manga in general that i ever read which i considered Meruim to be one of the best written characters just closely behind Guts from berserk. Though i didn't care for the direction the CA arc took.

Can't wait to watch this awesome remake though, might watch it along with fairy tail that im currently watching right now. Unfortunately Hxh will come to an end soon cause the manga is still on hiatus. Gahh, so many shonen's are ending this year.
ArtimesGamerFeb 10, 2014 1:40 AM

Feb 10, 2014 1:49 AM

Jan 2014
Greed Island was a marvelously written arc, but it's just easily overshadowed being between Yorknew and the Chimeras.

Good writing + good fighting + good training in a well-rounded adaptation = what more could I ask for?

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2014 1:54 AM

Jun 2013
CHIMERA

Feb 10, 2014 2:22 AM

Jun 2008
Greed Island was least interesting for me, Chimera ant just blows all previous ones.
Feb 10, 2014 8:24 AM

Feb 2013
Valaskjalf said:
I prefer the Green Island in the 1999 version

the Greed Island in that version was the only part of that series that was done really badly.
Feb 10, 2014 10:19 AM

Jan 2014
gettogaara said:
Honestly, they're probably my two least favorites

Ditto.

It's hard to believe that the CA arc and the Phantom troupe arc are written by the same person. Such a huge gap in quality.
Feb 10, 2014 7:31 PM
Sep 2013
judals said:
Greed Island was a marvelously written arc, but it's just easily overshadowed being between Yorknew and the Chimeras.

Just curious, is that a common saying within the fanbase or did you get that from this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jZ3mwRXDYY

When I read your post I just finished watching that review by Sawyer and I got a small shock from hearing the same thing twice from different sites within a minute of each other.
Feb 10, 2014 11:46 PM

Jan 2014
I
Cresherhsm said:
judals said:

Just curious, is that a common saying within the fanbase or did you get that from this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jZ3mwRXDYY

When I read your post I just finished watching that review by Sawyer and I got a small shock from hearing the same thing twice from different sites within a minute of each other.

I'm on my phone so I cannot see the video.
Edit: just read you mentioned sawyer, i know him, he's doing hxh now?

And I'm not familiar with opinions surrounding that much, but these two arcs have large stakes and powerful villains, while GI had a villain who is more or less their level and is meant to appear for tbat arc only. For story purposes i consider it just as well written as yorknew, but I can see why it's not as popular.
Feb 11, 2014 12:05 AM

May 2013
I'm not sure if Chimera ant arc had such a negative impact on how people judge Greed Island. I actully think that the slow start of CA helped Greed Island, we just had crazy episodes with the dogeball game, the fight with te bombers and then came CA with the camp fire talks ect. Episodes 76 until 82 were meh in my opinion (exception is 79 with jairo/ponzu stuff).
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Feb 11, 2014 12:12 AM

Jan 2014
I don't rate episodes on being slow/fast, not in HxH, because each pace has an appropriate amount of details in it so it's all good, seeing the build up of the ants growing, even supporting ants, is done in a more interesting way than the world's-end climax of many shows, so it was really grand for me, and I think many others felt the same.
GI had different take, it was more personal and focused on our heroes' development and set up toward confronting the bomber, but many dismiss it as a simple training arc.
Jul 2, 2015 10:29 PM
Jul 2015
Chimera Ant Arc:
Reason: Shaiapouf
Beelzebub and his ability to read opponents makes it all the more satisfying. I do wish he could've killed more people though... He didn't get to fight that much... Also, when he died from the poison, his wings literally blew away...
Jul 3, 2015 4:42 AM

Dec 2012
Greed Island less dragged out and less terrible.
Jul 3, 2015 4:53 AM

Aug 2012
~inb4 lock lol
why not make a poll instead of a vs thread :P coz' em mods don't like it lol

I'd go with Chimera Ant Arc.

But you'll still take damage!
Jul 3, 2015 9:29 AM

Jun 2014
Both are amazing but the Ant arc is just on another level. I'm still waiting to see if Togashi can top himself on that one.
Jul 3, 2015 9:48 AM

Jan 2014
Chimera Ant Arc.

Despite the polarized opinions on it, Greed Island is hated more and considered generally one of the worst arcs.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 24, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.