Forum Settings
Forums

Why are people so picky on the voice acting?

New
Jan 8, 2014 3:26 PM

Oct 2013
I don't understand why. A lot of shows that people complain about the voices, I usually love, I guess I just don't mind them as much as most people, but I still don't understand why people are so picky about voices.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 8, 2014 3:27 PM

Aug 2013
Original audio or dub?

Jan 8, 2014 3:29 PM

Jan 2014
Not doubting you or anything, but I haven't really seen much fuss about voice acting, unless it was Dubbed. I almost never watched dubs so I wouldn't know in the first place, but apart from that, I don't mind the voice actors, I just love it though when I come across a familiar voice actor from a different anime.
Jan 8, 2014 3:29 PM

Oct 2013
The english versions.
Jan 8, 2014 3:30 PM

Aug 2012
inb4 sub haters.
Jan 8, 2014 3:31 PM

Aug 2013
Shootingstars994 said:
The english versions.

Based on what I've read in forums and such, it's because of the way there's no feeling into the acting, and that the same voice actors are reused over and over. Also, because of faulty translation that doesn't convey teh original meaning.

Jan 8, 2014 3:32 PM

Jul 2013
Because some of them just sounds plain shitty.
Jan 8, 2014 3:34 PM

Feb 2010
I can only explain why I dislike them in each individual case, not in general because while I dislike most dubs I don't dislike them all by default. Although I usually pick the original no matter what language or medium we are talking about as long as I can still understand it (via subs for example) Has nothing to do with anime or voice actors, just with the fact that stuff is always lost in translation. Anyway, some specific reasons can be:

Sometimes they are plain bad, sometimes the voice doesn't fit the character (age), sometimes it's just weird to hear english voices in extremely japanese settings either pronouncing japanese terms and names weirdly or having them badly localized.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 8, 2014 3:34 PM

Oct 2013
Oh, well I don't see why that is such a big deal, at least the same people over and over. I don't see how they have no feeling though, maybe I just think differently from others.
Jan 8, 2014 3:36 PM

Aug 2013
The problem I find with Dub is that you can often get unnecessarily pauses where the English sentence is much shorter than a Japanese one to say. that and they often don't usually suit the characters.
Jan 8, 2014 3:37 PM

Oct 2013
Abut the part regarding parts being lost in translation, doesn't that happen when they get the idea from the manga, and animate it? I usually think of the different versions as another telling of the story though, so that might explain why they are all fine by me.
Jan 8, 2014 3:38 PM
Nov 2013
Dunno, but her voice give me boner.
Jan 8, 2014 3:38 PM

Apr 2011
A lot of the time, the voices just don't suit the characters...

But now I'm realizing that a lot of modern anime (2011+?) has weird japanese voices so... *shrug*

(specifically chibi style anime)
Jan 8, 2014 3:39 PM

Nov 2008
English VAs can't do cute leads right (which is most of the anime out these days).

Jan 8, 2014 3:39 PM

Oct 2013
What is "the right way" though, I don't understand?
Jan 8, 2014 3:40 PM

Aug 2013
I use to watch only Dub when I first got into anime and tbh if you are happy with that stick with it. I only started watching Jap stuff so I could watch the latest episodes of stuff I was watching and just found it way more better.
Jan 8, 2014 3:41 PM

Aug 2013
Shootingstars994 said:

High pitched and prolonged sounds that cant be heard in english.
Like "desuuu~!"

Jan 8, 2014 3:43 PM

May 2013
I find that I'm only picky when I have seen the sub first. Mostly anyway. Otherwise I probably won't complain.
Jan 8, 2014 3:46 PM

Jan 2014
Guimend said:

Haha I know her. I agree, I like listening to her voice.
Though my favorite is:
Kana Hanazawa - http://myanimelist.net/people/185/Kana_Hanazawa
I don't know how to link like you did.
Jan 8, 2014 3:49 PM

Feb 2010
Shootingstars994 said:
Abut the part regarding parts being lost in translation, doesn't that happen when they get the idea from the manga, and animate it? I usually think of the different versions as another telling of the story though, so that might explain why they are all fine by me.

That's an entirely different issue though, and there are also original anime. But it is unrelated to the language issue. I just can't take it seriously when highschoolers call each other 'Mister' instead of -san or -kun and leaving them out entirely makes scenes where characters get closer and start calling each other with a more intimate suffix untranslatable too. And it's just one of many issues, but the one that applies to most anime.

As I said, adapting stories from different mediums also has its share if issues, but they are not a substitute or in any way related to the language issue (unless you adapt a foreign book/comic/manga into an anime/Tv series/movie ).
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 8, 2014 3:50 PM

Sep 2012
Shootingstars994 said:
why people are so picky about voices.

Why not?
Jan 8, 2014 3:50 PM

Nov 2013
Because the dubs rarely ever sound 'right' to me, as a native english speaker 99% of english dubs I hear either sound low quality, forced, awkward, over-dramatic, over-edgy, poorly acted or just not natural.

There's been a few dubs that I like (Dragon Ball Z, L in Death Note) but apart from those, every other dub I've attempted to listen to it is like nails on a chalkboard, I mean, you HAVE to listen to the voices constantly to sit through each anime episode, so you have to be able to stand it.
Jan 8, 2014 3:54 PM

Oct 2013
I guess, I just don't see how so many people can find english voices THAT bad, it just confuses me.
Jan 8, 2014 3:55 PM
Nov 2013
Toppys said:
Guimend said:

Haha I know her. I agree, I like listening to her voice.
Though my favorite is:
Kana Hanazawa - http://myanimelist.net/people/185/Kana_Hanazawa
I don't know how to link like you did.

I love her (Hanazawa) for being cute haha, but Miyuki's voice is sexy as hell, man... I need to watch more with her voicing the main female.

@Thread
I hate dubs, at least in portuguese (I live in Brasil), so I watch everything with subs, and I always love it. Don't have any complaints about it.
Jan 8, 2014 3:59 PM

Sep 2013
They say they're purists, but purist is really just a synonym for douchebag.
There's no need for all this tension.
Jan 8, 2014 4:03 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
rarely do I complain about voices for characters.
I guess some people just prefer a certain voice to a certain role.
Jan 8, 2014 4:03 PM

Jan 2008
So is this another dub vs sub thread or are we talking specific voice actors? Because all I see is this thread turning into another sub vs dub thread.

Not sure where' this is heading, I'll try to go the other route.

People trash on Yuki Kaji and Kugimiya Rie a lot. Rie especially on this site. I can see why too.
Jan 8, 2014 4:06 PM

Nov 2010
MrAwesome2014 said:
inb4 sub haters.

not a dub hater ;)

and to answer the OP, for me the original is allways better for the sole reason that the voice actors are selected for that role and often in dubs they just don't feel in place.

i'm from belgium and because it's a trilangual country much of the stuff gets dubbed :) (more on the walloon side... they just dub everything hahaha) so growing up i seen my share of dubs in multiple languages :) (english to dutch/french/german/dutch dialects or other ways around) and i didn't like it, ever! because of that one reason... and now even more so because of the added reason that i noticed a lot of jokes get mixed/deleted or just plain stupid.

but this topic has been discussed so many times and the answer is just that simple... so to avoid any dub vs sub wars, let's just let this topic sink to the bottom of the forum shall we :)
Jan 8, 2014 4:06 PM

Sep 2011
Paul said:

People trash on Yuki Kaji and Kugimiya Rie a lot. Rie especially on this site. I can see why too.
Kugimiya is a bit underserving of that hate because shes actually a really good voice actress when she can do other roles that arent generic tsunderes, like she was good as koto and kagura from kyousogiga and gintama, she was really good in the yakuza games as haruka

Yuki kaji on the other hand is actually a pretty poor voice actor, he sounds too whiney at all times and his attempts at yelling and anger are just grating, like him as eren made an already bad character much worse

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 8, 2014 4:23 PM

Jun 2013
CurryRice said:
Shootingstars994 said:

High pitched and prolonged sounds that cant be heard in english.
Like "desuuu~!"
So true.

Jan 8, 2014 4:38 PM

Dec 2012
Anyone who hates Kugimiya Rie's voice should watch Kyousou Giga (TV).
Jan 8, 2014 4:39 PM

Mar 2013
kickthebucket said:
MrAwesome2014 said:
inb4 sub haters.

not a dub hater ;)

and to answer the OP, for me the original is allways better for the sole reason that the voice actors are selected for that role and often in dubs they just don't feel in place.

i'm from belgium and because it's a trilangual country much of the stuff gets dubbed :) (more on the walloon side... they just dub everything hahaha) so growing up i seen my share of dubs in multiple languages :) (english to dutch/french/german/dutch dialects or other ways around) and i didn't like it, ever! because of that one reason... and now even more so because of the added reason that i noticed a lot of jokes get mixed/deleted or just plain stupid.

but this topic has been discussed so many times and the answer is just that simple... so to avoid any dub vs sub wars, let's just let this topic sink to the bottom of the forum shall we :)

i think you are semi misinformed about how japanese voice actors are chosen. in many cases japanese voice actors in anime (particularly if the are female) are chosen as a publicity stunt. for example many anime chose j-pop artists to voice certain roles or sometimes the the station the show is airing on encourages the selection. so dont go about saying the japanese voice cast is 100% what the creators wanted because that is simply not the case especially in the more popular shows or shows that had very popular source material.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jan 8, 2014 4:43 PM

Mar 2008
Most Japanese voice actors are trained thoroughly, and because the competition to become a voice actor is so fierce over there, you naturally get people in the industry who are very good at what they do. I don't think it has the same landscape as America for the English dubbing (at least when anime was first introduced here), so the quality probably isn't as high. That's not to say there aren't great western voice actors; movies get some incredibly talented and varied voice talent, it's just that it wasn't the same for anime/games. (Sorry that this didn't exactly answer your question, but I personally don't get why people would have such an issue regarding seiyuu, either).
Jan 8, 2014 4:49 PM
Mar 2013
Well in my native country nothing is ever dubbed in our language so we watch the original all the time so I'm used to it

It seems naive and stupid to only watch something in your native language
Jan 8, 2014 4:50 PM

Mar 2013
Fui said:
Most Japanese voice actors are trained thoroughly, and because the competition to become a voice actor is so fierce over there, you naturally get people in the industry who are very good at what they do. I don't think it has the same landscape as America for the English dubbing (at least when anime was first introduced here), so the quality probably isn't as high. That's not to say there aren't great western voice actors; movies get some incredibly talented and varied voice talent, it's just that it wasn't the same for anime/games. (Sorry that this didn't exactly answer your question, but I personally don't get why people would have such an issue regarding seiyuu, either).

actually most english voice actors you hear in anime have prior acting experience (live action or voice acting). heck in one of the episode commentaries for steins;gate one of the voice actors on the show explained how people become anime voice actors (they were talking about questions they are frequently asked and that came up). he said that the best way to become a voice actor is to get into regular acting and hope a company scout finds you.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jan 8, 2014 5:13 PM

Aug 2013
Okay...well, would you like to see someone like Keanu Reeves play, say, Willy Wonka?
I think not.

People like to see characters well casted. That goes for real life acting and anime dubbing.
An example for anime: Would you want Crispin Freeman playing Shinji Ikari? I think not. He doesn't fit the role at all, whereas Spike Spencer captures him perfectly.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Jan 8, 2014 5:17 PM

Jun 2008
Because it sounds so wrong listening to english dubs?
Jan 8, 2014 5:18 PM

Jan 2008
StillSwingin007 said:
Okay...well, would you like to see someone like Keanu Reeves play, say, Willy Wonka?
I think not.

People like to see characters well casted. That goes for real life acting and anime dubbing.
An example for anime: Would you want Crispin Freeman playing Shinji Ikari? I think not. He doesn't fit the role at all, whereas Spike Spencer captures him perfectly.

There are plenty of character that have voice actors that don't 'feel' suited to them, but after you've been with them for so long, you can't help but think it is.

Goku is a easiest example of this. I'm currently watching Kenshin and I'd say he falls under this too.

Back when I watched Fairy Tale for the first time I found Natsu's voice extremely unfitting. Ended up watching enough of the show I got use to it and could only hear/see him with that voice and no longer be voiced by anyone else.

So yea there are voices that may be more suited to certain voice actors but there are plenty that don't either.
Jan 8, 2014 5:21 PM

Oct 2013
Because good voice acting makes a good anime great. And bad voice acting makes a great anime bad.

Jan 8, 2014 5:39 PM

Nov 2010
mattbenz99 said:

i think you are semi misinformed about how japanese voice actors are chosen. in many cases japanese voice actors in anime (particularly if the are female) are chosen as a publicity stunt. for example many anime chose j-pop artists to voice certain roles or sometimes the the station the show is airing on encourages the selection. so dont go about saying the japanese voice cast is 100% what the creators wanted because that is simply not the case especially in the more popular shows or shows that had very popular source material.

never said it was 100% what they wanted, the point i was making is that most of the time (emphasis on most) the dubbed just get the feeling wrong... i watched a dual languaged anime once and so i had to change it every episode. well the english voice wasn't bad... it was the execution of the dub that made my ears bleed ;) so it's not the point that in the original the voice actors where chosen as a publicity stunt or just because they are ment to do the voice acting. it's just that i (personaly) can't stand dubbed things :) especialy when it's to my native language (wich is dutch) it just doesn't feel in place.

and like i said, i don't want this to turn into another dub/sub flamewar... both have their pro's and cons... live with it. :)

so most of these topics should actualy get answerd with a the complete opposite of the question. in this topic being why aren't you picky? and so it all boils down to a single answer "personal taste"

i don't like dubs, here's why i don't like them. and misinformed isn't the right word :D assumed wrong would be more accurate hehe.

JD2411 said:
Well in my native country nothing is ever dubbed in our language so we watch the original all the time so I'm used to it

this is how i came to understand more languages ;) children here today don't understand english at the age i could even start a conversation in english (american to be more precise but let's not nitpick here hehe) so it does have it's advantages hehe
kickthebucketJan 8, 2014 5:44 PM
Jan 8, 2014 5:46 PM

Mar 2013
kickthebucket said:
mattbenz99 said:

never said it was 100% what they wanted, the point i was making is that most of the time (emphasis on most) the dubbed just get the feeling wrong... i watched a dual languaged anime once and so i had to change it every episode. well the english voice wasn't bad... it was the execution of the dub that made my ears bleed ;) so it's not the point that in the original the voice actors where chosen as a publicity stunt or just because they are ment to do the voice acting. it's just that i (personaly) can't stand dubbed things :) especialy when it's to my native language (wich is dutch) it just doesn't feel in place.

and like i said, i don't want this to turn into another dub/sub flamewar... both have their pro's and cons... live with it. :)

so most of these topics should actualy get answerd with a the complete opposite of the question. in this topic being why aren't you picky? and so it all boils down to a single answer "personal taste"

i don't like dubs, here's why i don't like them. and misinformed isn't the right word :D assumed wrong would be more accurate hehe.

JD2411 said:

this is how i came to understand more languages ;) children here today don't understand english at the age i could even start a conversation in english (american to be more precise but let's not nitpick here hehe) so it does have it's advantages hehe

i just feel that a lot of people dont understand how voice actors are chosen in japan so i just get annoyed when i see people saying something like that

Jan 8, 2014 6:01 PM

Jan 2012
i don't think picky is the right word, i rarely see people hate japanese voice actors/actresses at all, then you get people hating on dubs but that's usually because there so poor in comparson and sound forced and unnatural (my opinion) but even then somestimes its so bad its funny to watch and makes a show worth watching just for the lols
Jan 8, 2014 6:17 PM

Nov 2010
mattbenz99 said:

i just feel that a lot of people dont understand how voice actors are chosen in japan so i just get annoyed when i see people saying something like that

ok, i can relate to that ;) (i have that when people say "animes" hahaha) sorry about that, should have stated that was just my thought on how it goes hehe. i actualy don't know a single bit about japanese voice actors (and don't realy care to know) i just like the language for some reason (well i like the sound of most languages hehe)

and also, i agree that you hate it when people just start a flamewar based on assumptions when the fact is they don't have a leg to stand on ;) (ok now we're going offtopic abit hahaha)
Jan 8, 2014 6:23 PM

Dec 2012
Ah, so it's this kind of thread..

Since English is my native language, it's easy to spot out the forced and fake moment in dubs. It's not to say that Japanese VA is perfect, but I've only come across 2-3 voices in Japanese that I've had legit problems with, mostly because Japanese is very pleasing to the ears for me since it sounds like a song rather than words.

The deal breaker with English voice acting are voice actresses. They usually can't reach the same pitches as Japanese women and can never capture the "kawaii" factor of their characters. In Japanese, the teenage girl characters sound like adorable little girls, but then in English most of them sound like 30 year old women. And then when English voice actresses attempt to mimic it, it just sounds even faker and cheesy.

It's not their fault though, that's simply the way it is.
Jan 8, 2014 6:25 PM

Aug 2013
I can't speak for everyone, but as for myself... I will dislike the dubs for one of 3 reasons...

--one or more of the voices really annoys me (most often because it's too high pitched)
--the dub is bland and doesn't express emotions well or at all
--the japanese voices match the characters better than the english voices.

These are all based on my personal tastes, so you might like a dub I dislike. My friend was annoyed once because I said that I liked the japanese voices better than english in Black Butler. We're different people, you can't expect everyone to enjoy the same things you do :)
Jan 8, 2014 6:36 PM

Jan 2013
If it's English Dub then pretty much most of the time I don't like it. In certain anime they're pretty good.
Jan 8, 2014 6:53 PM

Nov 2012
I mostly never know, who in the world is the "seyuu".
As long as it's not an super high pitched ear spliting voice I don't care.
Jan 8, 2014 7:40 PM

Feb 2013
Why do people avoid movies with bad acting? It's the same.
Jan 8, 2014 7:47 PM

Jun 2012
Bad english dubs are better than anything else.
получить деньги моего друга
Jan 8, 2014 8:04 PM

Apr 2010
Cause English dubs cause brain hemorrhages.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 1 hour ago

9 by Rhaelynne »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

59 by SuperAdventure »»
2 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

13 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

54 by L1feHasNoMeaning »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

87 by Punkero »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.