Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
BECK
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 20, 2013 7:01 AM

Oct 2013
I've heard people saying that they prefer the dub over the sub. Since I'm not used to watching them dubbed I want your opinions.Please add your criticisms to the one you watched(subbed or dubbed).
Since I'm planning on watching it, which one do you think I should watch?
Dec 22, 2013 12:32 PM

Nov 2013
From someone who's seen Beck both subbed and dubbed, I have to say that the dub is much better. The main characters really sound like teenagers, and the interactions between them don't sound forced at all. Koyuki's voice actor in particular did a great job portraying the quiet, timid tone of someone with his personality. The subbed version contains scenes where there are language barriers between the characters, but the dub modified these conversations so they still made sense.

If you don't want to listen to copious amounts of Engrish, the dub is a solid (and better, in my opinion) alternative.
Dec 22, 2013 1:01 PM

Nov 2010
I watched Beck subbed. While a lot of people do complain about the engrish, to me it was fine, didn't really subtract anything. And the songs are great.
Dec 22, 2013 1:48 PM

Dec 2007
Seen both, and the English dub is leagues better than the Japanese version. There is quite a big difference between the two, but I must say that the songs and the voice acting performances in the English dub are much more impactful/memorable.
Dec 22, 2013 1:50 PM

Apr 2012
I watched the dub and absolutely loved it. Highly recommend it
Jan 9, 2014 1:55 AM

Nov 2013
I watched it subbed, but checked out episode 3 dubbed, just out of curiosity. Maybe I just don't like the sound of English language, but to me, at times, it sounds hoaky. However, the songs were done very well, and even Maho's speaking voice very closely matched. There's a good comparison between the Japanese version where she's speaking English to some guys that are trying to hit on her and in the dubbed version, the actress sounds almost like the Japanese girl speaking English. Quite an amazing match on the voices, inflection and tone quality. The rest of the voices, not so much so, but still, not so awful that it makes me want to throw up. There are times when the English dub for Koyuki's voice is almost right, but it varies and is inconsistent from scene to scene.
I think that in general, Japanese is a much nicer, easier on the ears, sounding language.
Jun 1, 2014 7:57 AM

Apr 2013
I had downloaded a dual audio encode of the series and since I had the choice I listened to both in a couple of key scenes. I thought the voice while talking and specialy singing of Koyuki's VA was great. So good that I decided to watch it Dubbed from then on. I'm glad I made that decision but also I was hit by a curse

The curse: After finishing the show, like many of you, I wanted to download the OST and the songs and then I realized.. the official OST's from BECK are all in engrish, aka the Japanese singers and (of course not) the English VA's. Now I'm so annoyed by this...
Greg Ayres who gave Koyuki his voice did such a great job and the Japanese singer sounds like a clown to me after hearing Greg.

The only one that seems to have the same VA is Maho while singing.

Is there by any chance or miracle a full version of the songs that Koyuki sings with the English VA?
Jun 27, 2014 7:14 PM

Oct 2013
I watched it in dub,but the dub wasn't that great.

Jun 27, 2014 7:15 PM

Mar 2014
Dub, stil haven't quite finished it.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Aug 30, 2014 1:29 AM

Jul 2013
Im about to watch it dubbed since fullmetalheart keeps complaining about the sub
Aug 30, 2014 1:35 AM

Apr 2012
JetFury said:
Im about to watch it dubbed since fullmetalheart keeps complaining about the sub
Shame, the original VAs are pretty great.
Oct 26, 2014 9:45 AM

Jul 2009
It's probably better dubbed for most, as a bunch of the dialogue (and songs) are in english. However, I prefer engrish as it's both funny and interesting to listen to, so I stuck with the sub.

I've never enjoyed english songs either, so maybe that's why I prefer the japanese pronunciation.
Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle!
Nov 9, 2014 10:40 AM

Apr 2013
I watched both. I enjoyed the English dub for everything except Greg Ayres singing. I may be slightly biased but I hate his voice now due to its overuse so I didn't exactly come into this impartial. He does a good job with everything else though. It's just that the Japanese VAs are definitely better at singing than the English ones.

Also, the Engrish with the subs isn't that bad. At least it sounds fine in their songs. So, I slightly prefer the subbed version due to better singing and less Greg Ayres.
Nov 9, 2014 10:44 AM

Nov 2010
Keitaro004 said:
It's probably better dubbed for most, as a bunch of the dialogue (and songs) are in english. However, I prefer engrish as it's both funny and interesting to listen to, so I stuck with the sub.

I've never enjoyed english songs either, so maybe that's why I prefer the japanese pronunciation.
Well they're supposed to be Japanese people speaking English so the engrish fits what the creator was going for.
Jun 13, 2015 7:17 PM
Apr 2015
the dub has ok music other than moon on the water and i've got a feeling which are some of my favorites :( but the voices when not singing are obnoxious. go subbed all the way, its only problem is koyuki's (main character) slurring of english words in songs and bad grammar.
Aug 24, 2015 11:22 AM
Oct 2014
been watching both now for a few eps and I have to say the dud is pretty darn good (part from koyuki... can't stand his dubbed voice :/) Whether it's better than subbed or not is another question, I'm just sayin' it's good for a dub XD Think I'm content watching both atm sub then rewatch dub 'cuz I like the them both >.o and while I actually like the dub.. sub is still my fav <3 but tis interesting though you know ahaha
Dec 11, 2015 4:03 PM

Feb 2014
Watching it dubbed because I was told it's better than the sub, and so far it's been really good. I almost never watch dubs.
"So wave goodbye to the hope we were born with, and say farewell to the chance of surviving this holocaust of love, this age of lost souls, but I'm holding on with both hands and I'm never letting go."
Dec 18, 2015 1:09 AM

Jan 2013
Subbed. Voice actors are just so much more natural. Dub feels quite forced in a lot of places.

Ryuusuke_Minami said:
the dub has ok music other than moon on the water and i've got a feeling which are some of my favorites :( but the voices when not singing are obnoxious. go subbed all the way, its only problem is koyuki's (main character) slurring of english words in songs and bad grammar.

Yup also Maho's engrish is meh
Feb 5, 2016 1:26 AM

Jun 2014
I've been watching both. From just a speaking standpoint I don't prefer either, as to me they both have distinct issue's, such that neither is significantly 'stronger' than the other. From the standpoint of the songs though, I definitely preferred the dub, by a substantial amount.
Feb 5, 2016 1:55 AM

Jul 2013
dub sounds so much better than the sub. The singing sounds so much more natural.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

May 10, 2016 10:49 AM
Apr 2016
English Dub is the way to go
Oct 16, 2016 8:31 PM

Dec 2014
Dunky said:
Seen both, and the English dub is leagues better than the Japanese version. There is quite a big difference between the two, but I must say that the songs and the voice acting performances in the English dub are much more impactful/memorable.

I watch mainly dubs so I can watch anime with my wife. There are some like Death Note and this, that have great performances in English. I don't see how the subbed version could be much if any better.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Beck Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Aug 18, 2008

139 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Beck Episode 23 Discussion

aero - Aug 18, 2008

42 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 4:44 PM

Poll: » Beck Episode 22 Discussion

aero - Aug 18, 2008

47 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Beck Episode 21 Discussion

aero - Aug 18, 2008

40 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Beck Episode 20 Discussion

aero - Aug 18, 2008

45 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 3:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.