Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2013 12:30 PM

Dec 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Awww... Chiaotzu used to be so cute.
rodacDec 5, 2013 6:32 PM
Nov 15, 2013 7:22 AM

May 2012
Haha they even included Arale, this movie was one of the better ones, the story sure progressing totally different in this movies than the series but it still was pretty amazing! Lets see what the final movie has to offer!
rodacDec 5, 2013 6:33 PM
Dec 5, 2013 5:51 PM

Jun 2009
God fucking damnit. Ceyli Delgadillo as Goku AGAIN. Well, according to certain sources this is the last time she appears thank god. The voice acting is LEAPS and BOUNDS better than the last movie. Mike McFarland actually sounds like he's trying now.

Looks like this movie takes place during Krillin and Goku's training before the first World Tournament saga. So this is set very early on in the Dragon Ball series, between episodes 14-28. Which is interesting as Tien, Chiaotzu and Crane don't get introduced until much later in the series, episodes 84-101. Although I suppose all of the previous can be disregarded if it's alternate universe stuff, which makes sense since a lot of it is just retelling of stuff we already know in a different way.

This is far and away the best movie so far, it shits all over the previous two. Although it's not saying much.
loghneckbeardDec 5, 2013 6:05 PM
Jan 16, 2014 12:42 PM

Jan 2013
Well this was certainly better than the previous ones. Same stuff as in the anime happened here too but in other places. Anyways:
Movie 1 - 5/10;
Movie 2 - 6/10;
Movie 3 - 7/10.
I can't say that it was that interesting to see the characters in other positions than the anime but I can see how this would have been more fun if for example 3 months would have passed since I saw the series.
Jan 20, 2014 1:23 PM

Oct 2009
It was definitely better than the previous film, but I wouldn't say the first one was any worse

ao_no_exo said:
I can't say that it was that interesting to see the characters in other positions than the anime

Yes it was, and I can see how it would have been less fun for me if more time have passed since I watched the series.
Feb 25, 2014 7:24 PM

Dec 2013
I agree that this movie was WAY better than the first two. It was really cool to see events from the anime told in a much different way but still leading to a similar result with each scene. Really enjoyed this one, and now it is time to see what the other one is like!
Feb 26, 2014 9:34 AM

Jan 2013
Serhiyko said:
It was definitely better than the previous film, but I wouldn't say the first one was any worse

ao_no_exo said:
I can't say that it was that interesting to see the characters in other positions than the anime

Yes it was, and I can see how it would have been less fun for me if more time have passed since I watched the series.
Hmm I actually just watched (well on the 16th). Basically I'm watching and rewatching all DBZ related stuff now. I don't know I just didn't enjoy it that much, it was fun though!
Aug 10, 2014 3:42 PM

Oct 2013
another amusing dragon ball movie watching them all now I have 1 more to go
[/quote]
Aug 16, 2014 9:03 AM

Jun 2012
It would have been funny if arale one shoted tau pai pai.

bloodiemonster said:
another amusing dragon ball movie watching them all now I have 1 more to go
same here.
Mar 1, 2015 5:51 PM

Feb 2014
I liked this movie, it was pretty good!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Jun 11, 2015 7:59 PM

May 2008
Easily the best one out of all four.

The only thing that brought this movie down was its short runtime as the pacing was too fast near the end. I sorta wish they continued with this AU instead of giving us the Path to Power movie; it's much more interesting.
Feb 2, 2018 6:51 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
This was a really fun Dragon Ball movie, I say! Arale's appearance in the movie made this so much better! xD
Jan 3, 2019 9:55 AM

Aug 2016
This is actually my least favourite of the dragon ball movies, with that ending it honestly felt like it was just unfinished. 4/10 not enough pig guy
Apr 12, 2019 5:25 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Chiaotzu is so cute <3
Dr. Slump chars were interesting, but still pretty average movie.
Better then the last 2 though

Jun 5, 2020 12:04 PM
Jul 2018
This was a nice alternative optional setting to watch, reusing characters from the series in various situations that adheres to their personality and character. I have to say that Goku beating Master Tao was as unbelievable as they come. Goku didn't even spend a day training in Korin Tower. But oh well, it was an interesting little movie. Chiaotzu was so damn adorable as the emperor's role.

What I find amusing is the fact that they get all the character's English dubbed voices right except for Goku, a problem that is most common so far in Dragon Ball movies.

Jul 25, 2021 1:37 PM

Nov 2016
Chiaotzu as emperor? Metallic? The dodonpa shot Goku up to Karin? Even Arale made an appearance. This movie was on crack, but nonetheless the most entertaining retelling.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 11, 2022 9:40 PM

May 2019
This was yet another retelling of the Dragon Ball universe, but it was better than the first 2 movies, in my opinion. The quality of the animation for sure was better compared to the first two movies. I believe most of the Dragon Ball characters prior to the Piccolo saga were here, even Arale made a cameo. One example of the retelling that matched what happened in the regular series included Goku's 4 star ball saving him from Tao Pai Pai's dodon-pa. Another example was Bora's death by Tao Pai Pai and using the dragon balls to resurrect him.

There was more action than the normal series due to time constraints but I found that some parts could've been fleshed out more such as Goku's trip to Karin Tower and getting a power increase. Overall I give this a 7/10, a good Dragon Ball movie.
Nov 25, 2022 8:03 AM

Nov 2020
Still pretty bad, not gonna lie.

Mar 25, 12:51 PM

Nov 2010
On par with the previous film. Doesn't work as well as a standalone film but I like that they really went ambitious with the original story and changing the characters from their usual roles.

I love the setting of the empire and it adds quite a lot to the tournament. Maybe it's a bit much trying to fit the story beats of two different arcs in 45 minutes though. The story keeps going both in the openings and ending credits, so it really feels like they should have made it a bit longer.

The characters of Tienshinhan and Chiaotzu are especially great. This is definitely the best Chiaotzu we ever got. Lunch has quite a lot of great moments too, and it's probably her best appearance as well.

And the Dr. Slump bit was great, worked really well with Tao Pai Pai's seriousness.
Mar 27, 11:59 PM

Aug 2012
I think this was my favourite of the three thus far, if only because the dubbing efforts were a lot better this time around. Still not my ideal cast or anything, really missed Stephanie Nadolny as Goku, but far better than the previous film. Animation was also the strongest of the three movies. While I still prefer the aesthetics that the last film went with, in terms of visuals and sonics this was best of the trilogy.

But what about the substance? I still prefer the last film's method of a wholly original plot, but I did have fun watching this weird mixture of the 22nd Budokai and the Red Ribbon Army Sagas. It doesn't really match up to the quality of the original version of events, like I think that Arale's segment worked a lot better with Blue than with Tao, especially since here it basically renders the final battle of the movie a joke. It's an amusing joke so I'm not really upset about it, but in terms of the dramatics, it does hurt. Tao just killed Bora and defeated Goku with ease, that's suppose to set-up a climatic re-match at the end but instead it just feels like a bunch of gags. Again, I found it amusing but it felt worth mentioning regardless.

Beyond that, I love how efficient this movie was with it's limited runtime. The other movies gave us the full Dragon Ball OP, to see them squeeze in their training during it was great, and having the last wish take place while the credits were rolling was another nice touch. And among with hitting the necessary beats, they still found time to include one of my favourite gags with Launch wanting to hijack the plane. Launch as a whole was a constant joy throughout this film. As one of my favourite characters who doesn't really get a lot, I appreciated how present she was here. Another one of my favourite characters is General Blue, kinda wish he got more to do but I liked his little role well enough.

I like Tien & Chaiotzu's relationship here, though I do wish we got something between Tien & Shen to make Tien's struggle a little more clear. Like I'll assume there's some similar dynamic to the story proper, but it felt like the movie was missing proper motivation for Tien to go along with the plan to begin with. Focusing just on his care of Chiaotzu is sweet and all, but lessens the impact of Tien's Tri-Beam to Shen at the end, since we're not giving any reason to believe that Tien would side with Shen. Like, obviously he was always going to side with Chaiotzu but like with Tao fight, it could've carried a lot more impact.

6/10, though it's close to a 7.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.