Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2013 7:03 AM

May 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This movie sure was a bit better than the first one and also than the original series with that part in becoming a student for master Roshi! In general it sure was a nice movie!
Dec 5, 2013 4:43 PM

Jun 2009
Oh dear God, the English dubbing history of Dragon Ball really is a clusterfuck, this time I get Ceyli Delgadillo as Goku. And she's really terrible. I'm glad we got Clinkenbeard/Nadonly. I REALLY don't know why they couldn't have used one of the former, sigh. That being said, Mike McFarland was also really terrible in this which is odd as he's usually very good as Roshi. It just sounded like he was phoning it in all through this movie.

The only one who did anywhere near as well as their Dragon Ball counterpart was Laurie Steele (Krillin). Bulma was just fucking awful. Also, for some reason they decided to use the Japanese OP/ED rather than the perfectly good English OP/ED. So much weird shit and sub-standard quality to the dub in this movie, quite disappointing really.

Anyway, this movie was an alternate telling of how Krillin and Goku became Roshi's students. Instead of him just getting them to get some random good looking girl for him to go on a date with he send them on this quest. I think I like this version better even if the version of events in Dragon Ball is more like Roshi's character. There was a lot more action in this movie but that doesn't make it better. The first movie was pretty average but this was just bad.
loghneckbeardDec 5, 2013 5:19 PM
Jan 16, 2014 9:52 AM

Jan 2013
It was better only thing they re-used from the anime was the start point from where Goku meets Kuririn on the Muten's island and that they have to find a pichi-pichi girl for Muten Roshi-sama from there on it's new animation but some story parts are similar from there on too.
Jan 19, 2014 8:40 AM

Oct 2009
RafaelDeJongh said:
This movie sure was a bit better than the first one and also than the original series with that part in becoming a student for master Roshi! In general it sure was a nice movie!

No, it was much worse than both the first film and the series. The whole idea was quite absurd, and it wasn't realized too well, either.
Btw, Oolong and Pu-erh could just transform in something smaller and get out easily when they were trapped
Feb 17, 2014 10:06 PM

Dec 2013
This movie was pretty bad overall for reasons everyone else said. Hopefully the next ones will be better.
Aug 10, 2014 2:57 PM

Oct 2013
lmao haha that princess
amusing movie overall
7/10 for me
[/quote]
Feb 25, 2015 5:21 AM

Feb 2014
Good movie, it was funny and had a nice alternative plot.
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Jun 12, 2016 5:28 AM

Jan 2015
This movie was bad by normal Dragon Ball standards imo :|

I might rewatch this movie or just watch certain parts in japanese subs because the dub was so bad that it gave me the worst dragon ball experience ever, even worse than DBZ Garlic Movie & Saga and Dragon Ball GT :|
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Jul 2, 2017 3:05 AM
Aug 2014
Can't believe I completely forgot about Launch, but then so did Akira Toriyama. I liked the humour in this one, but the plot didn't make a lot of sense.
Jan 20, 2018 10:02 PM

Apr 2014
The story isn't anything special, but it's a nice fun little adventure. This is the kind of stuff that made me fall in love with Dragon Ball.
Apr 12, 2019 4:36 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
For my taste this was worse then the first one.
wouldnt rewatch it and wouldnt really reccomend it. Ok to watch if you really dont have anything else to watch though or if you have to do some houswork or stuff and need something to run in the meanwhile

Feb 23, 2020 9:58 AM
Jan 2020
it was pretty boring overall. it's basically recreating the series with different plot points so these movies are fully reliant on their unique villains/plot to be interesting. i didn't really find the sleeping princess interesting so i didn't really like the movie that much.
May 23, 2020 10:04 PM
Jul 2018
While the movie had cliche, everyday villains alongside a customary plot device, it still was an amusing short film, for me. This simplicity, I think, is what makes it a bit charming. The setting felt nostalgic and classic, reminiscent of old notorious video games, like Castlevania or Resident Evil, for instance.

The English dub was terrible. I do have to say that much.
May 27, 2021 5:04 PM

Feb 2015
Interesting to hear (most of) the main Funimation cast's first try at voicing these characters. To the people complaining or confused about the dub, keep in mind that the series wasn't dubbed in order. This was recorded in 1997, a year or two before Funimation would start dubbing Z. This was the first thing they ever dubbed, and yeah, it shows.

Anyway, this was an improvement over the first movie, which was a pretty straightforward rehash of most of early Dragon Ball's most iconic moments. It was like an abridged greatest hits album, only most of it was done much better in the series. This movie wasn′t as well animated as the first one, but it's fun and makes up by telling a simple but original story, using the framework of the Krillin's arrival and Master Roshi's test. I liked it.
MEMOzMay 27, 2021 5:09 PM
Jul 14, 2022 11:35 PM

May 2019
This movie was ok, nothing special. I don't understand why they retold the storylines that were already established in the main series, such as Goku meeting Bulma again in the first movie after the regular series established that. In this case, we jump ahead to where Krillin and Goku go to Master Roshi's home to train under him, but instead of Master Roshi wanting a cute young girl, he wants the "Sleeping Princess." Beyond the retelling portions, the new parts were ok, at least the main bad guy, Lucifer, was a somewhat unique villain. Hopefully the remaining DB and, later on, the DBZ movies are better. I give this one a 6/10 "Fine."
Nov 25, 2022 8:01 AM

Nov 2020
For my taste this was worse then the first one.
Oct 27, 2023 7:54 AM
Feb 2022
Amazing mystery fairytale like
Mar 24, 1:25 PM

Nov 2010
Definitely a step up from the previous film. Whilst the first one tried to adapt a full arc and add an original story, this one just adapts a few chapters. The original story is great as well. I'm a big fan of the fantasy horror setting and there's some great visuals and art. The monsters having guns adds a lot of style to them as well.

Kuririn is such a cool guy, taking the bus and riding the buffalo.
Goku having to save him twice and the sea monster appearing both times was one of the best jokes.

Some great fighting as well. Especially with the pink ribbon monster.

A bit weird that the ape transformation isn't the climax. Could probably have removed that completely.
Mar 27, 2:06 AM

Aug 2012
As somebody who grew up with Dragon Ball's English dub, I pretty much always stick with the dub unless there's literally no other option, and with that being said I really wish Funimation re-dubbed this movie along with Curse of the Blood Rubies, because the dub was awful here. Like I wouldn't say it ruined the movie, I still enjoyed my time but it definitely dampened the experience. It wasn't even just the voices themselves, but I felt the sound mixing was pretty bad, some lines sounded way quieter to me than others, and I'm guess that's a production thing and not on the actors but either way it was problem every now and again.

Dub aside, this was mostly fun. I definitely prefer the approach this movie took over the last. While there's certainly a novelty in seeing the movie try and cram in the big moments from the first arc into an original story, the more original direction here is more interesting. Using Roshi's initiation test as a springboard to an original story, it works well. And I'm glad they spring boarded into something pretty distinct in Dragon Ball, with the whole horror & monster setting, there's some cool pieces here. Love the art in the opening detailing the sleeping princess story, or the moment where Krillin and Goku see the Devil's hand. Some pretty cool visuals, definitely different from what you'd expect from your typical Dragon Ball. The Great Ape transformation does feel a bit superfluous, but they didn't cover it in the last movie, and it does fit with the horror/monster mash aesthetics so it's inclusion makes sense.

The movie definitely had it's fun parts. Bulma's reaction to Igor was great, Launch's sneezing and shooting shit up is always funny, and there was some great bits with Goku & Krillin. I really love Goku saving him from the fish, only for Krillin to fall through the Nimbus so Goku has to save him again. I also like that the joke built up to the defeat of the ribbon monster, kinda clever. Beyond that, I didn't really care for the action in this movie. The ending bit was fun, but most of the rest didn't really do it for me. I think giving the demons machine guns was kinda lame and made me not care for the flying fights, and it feels like the animation was a stepdown from the previous film.

6/10. Might've gotten a 7 with a better dub.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.