cyberpunk style worlds
detective / vigilante / mafia / military protagonists

OR

middle age/medieval setting
mages
swordplay
Sep 17, 2013 8:01 PM

Jan 2013
Cool and interesting characters, that's usually what gets me hooked. And I like anime set in Tokyo, with specific landmarks, like in Durarara!! which takes place in Ikebukuro. Not some crappy episode about visiting Akihabara.
Please understand.
Sep 17, 2013 8:04 PM

Apr 2013
I love the balancing of everything in an anime. Right enough of comedy to drama (I prefer more comedy though). Right amount of action, hell even the amount of fillers should be done right. Stupendous soundtrack as well. That's why I love GetBackers so much. It has everything I want.

Sep 17, 2013 9:47 PM

Apr 2012
jondoom said:
a good soundtrack.
and a combination of either:
cyberpunk style worlds
detective / vigilante / mafia / military protagonists

OR

middle age/medieval setting
mages
swordplay

Seems to me like you must be suffering right now, as cyberpunk anime sadly hardly gets made anymore. Even medieval fantasy is hardly made anymore, atleast not Dark Fantasy. This are 2 of my favourite type of anime too, I would love to see more of them.
Sep 17, 2013 10:54 PM

Feb 2013
baki502 said:

Seems to me like you must be suffering right now, as cyberpunk anime sadly hardly gets made anymore. Even medieval fantasy is hardly made anymore, atleast not Dark Fantasy. This are 2 of my favourite type of anime too, I would love to see more of them.
Examples of recent medieval fantasy anime:
Slayers Revolution
Slayers Evolution-R
The Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Claymore
Hero Tales
Moribito
Inuyasha: The Final Act
Magi
Spice and Wolf
The Sacred Blacksmith
Tales of Symphonia: The Animation
Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike

and pretty much all of those have some dark themes even though some are gorier than others, but yeah cyberpunk anime are pretty few and far between these days it seems like.

@topic: I like pretty much every genre, though my favorites are probably adventure and horror, and I like sci-fi and fantasy settings. I also really value fleshed out worlds in anime. As for art style, I'm usually not too picky, the only anime I can think of that I absolutely hate the art style on is Shin-Chan, but I do really enjoy lots of bright vivid colors and abstract visuals (a la FLCL, and Bakemonogatari).
Sep 18, 2013 1:04 AM

Mar 2012
Pure hearted Shounen characters that love to eat a lot of food. Makes me laugh :).
Sep 18, 2013 1:05 AM

Aug 2013
Love me some dark humor.
Sep 18, 2013 2:50 AM

Oct 2009
baki502 said:
azzuRe said:
All the concept of simplified philosophies of the dynamic of ego, libido, subconsciousness, and persona, that give birth to something called 'Moe'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCSwRM1qiXU

I am sorry I just had to :D. I dont dislike moe as long as its limited to the character of the girl and is natural, as soon as it is forced to be moe by artstyle and stuff I hate it.

Moe is anime too. Haters gonna hate.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
May 17, 2015 7:05 AM

Jan 2013
All my favourite anime are raise philosophical questions, usually ethics questions. Anime like Code Geass, Death Note, Steins;Gate, Psycho Pass, and Eve no Jikan are all examples of this and are my top 5. That being said, I absolutely hate anime that attempt to be intellectual but fall short based on their bad story telling or characters. An example of this is Penguindrum, it opens the first 2 episodes talking about fate but never really makes the viewer think about fate as a concept, and the flaws with fatalism and non-fatalism. Instead it ignores it until the last few episodes, and never completely addresses it even then. Also, the characters are shallow and it introduces things completely unnecessarily (even the penguins aren't important whatsoever to the story telling or the main story).

Also, I prefer anime that are more brains over brawn. When the protagonist is stupid I can't get into the anime as much as I would if there was a more intelligent main character.
May 17, 2015 7:11 AM
May 2014
i loved death note/code geass and shingeki no kyojin
i think i love dark fantasy
Sturgeon's law : 90% of Everything is Crap
May 17, 2015 10:58 AM

Apr 2015
I love historical anime. it's just classic and so good. especially when the hero fight with sword/katana/samurai. gintama!!!!!<3,kenshin(I prefer the live action tbh)
also historical/mystery like gosick and kuroshituji, I should watch baccano and mushishi soon ;___; looks damn rad! dark, gothic, classic, beautiful <3
I loved solid romance too, no harems, no triangle love, no love rivals but it's not boring and still beautiful. (clannad AS, nodame, chuu2byou season 1)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2015 12:16 PM
May 2013
I like romance, including love triangles, if done well.

I particularly like time skips. I tend to like older characters and time skips are a great way to see older characters.

I also seem to have a thing for Oujo type characters.
May 18, 2015 3:59 AM

Mar 2012
Unpredictable story
Characters with proper goals/motivation
Clever Plot Twist and good Foreshadowing
Visuals
Good Equal balance of Comedy and Drama
More Variety

and
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
May 18, 2015 4:22 AM

Sep 2014
I like "too much" stuff
either over the top action like KLK and TTGL or boring anime/manga where nothing happens like Aria or Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
May 18, 2015 4:35 AM

Nov 2014
I never did notice the specific anime elements that I really loved until I put this mal account together.

For characters:
Putting together my Top 10 可愛い list has made me realise my love for kuudere lolis. My love for lolis probably originated from Azusa in K-ON! While Azusa no longer has a place on my Top 10 可愛い list, she remains a character that heavily sparked my love for many of my favourite characters.

My love for kuuderes started with Tachibana Kanade, I absolutely adored her while I watched Angel Beats (probably helped that she's a loli too). Next was Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, which I instantly thought was the cutest character in existence ever when I first watched Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko and probably set my love for kuuderes in stone. Till today Tsukiko sits on top of my top 10 可愛い list.

For anime:
I noticed after putting together this account that my Top 5 anime are all somewhat sad. I absolutely loved the fact that they made me cry.
BurningSpiritMay 18, 2015 4:38 AM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
May 18, 2015 4:36 AM

Jul 2014
When the anime sets up for an overused cliché and you see it coming a mile away, then at the last moment they do the opposite, that shit is the best.

A properly foreshadowed plot twist that actually catches me off-guard (only Kokoro Connect managed this so far)

Extremely random and energetic comedy like Nichijou, Senyuu, Nichibros, and Plastic Nee-San.

Authentic-feeling characters, I.E. no contrived personality gimmicks.
May 18, 2015 5:00 AM

Aug 2013
Something specific to anime that i like? That would be romantic comedy. This particular genre has no equivalent in western cartoon. And most romcom shows aired on TV is targeted mostly at female audience, whereas romcom anime is aimed mostly at straight male audience.
May 24, 2015 7:00 AM

Feb 2012
I like travelling in Anime.Especially how each story arc in FMA begins with trains.I guess I like trains because I use them a lot IRL.

I also seem to like dialogue heavy shows i.e. various seinen shows.
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

May 24, 2015 7:23 AM

Jan 2012
One word .... Originality . Many times I find that as long as an anime stays original and doesn't try to copy from other popular series then it usually sticks with me. Harem/Ecchi shows are a dime a dozen these days and they rarely do anything to distinguish themselves from other shows.
May 24, 2015 3:48 PM

Feb 2012
Ephemer4l said:
One word .... Originality . Many times I find that as long as an anime stays original and doesn't try to copy from other popular series then it usually sticks with me. Harem/Ecchi shows are a dime a dozen these days and they rarely do anything to distinguish themselves from other shows.

True,usually the only things original to such stories is the setting or maybe a weird mix of characters.But that is all.

May 28, 2015 11:16 PM
Dec 2013
Stories with well defined/developed ,creative and imaginative characters that aren't just there for plot or motive , a world/setting that is equally unique creative and imaginative .

That pushes the envelope and isn't defined or constricted by a genre , i also enjoy shows that are more than what they appear to be and take a dark/gory turn .Something that can engulf me in the world and keep me guessing ^.^
May 28, 2015 11:34 PM

Jul 2013
I like romance a lot even if it's only subtle. Something like Irisviel and Kiritsugu where there's romance but it doesn't derail the whole story.
May 28, 2015 11:50 PM

Aug 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
I like romance a lot even if it's only subtle. Something like Irisviel and Kiritsugu where there's romance but it doesn't derail the whole story.

This!

I like animes with a tiny bit of romance that doesn't turn the entire anime into a romance but still manages to be somewhat interesting and even plays a decent-ish role at some point in the story (like with Kiritsugu)

Also OSTs from animes and OPs/EDs for several animes always feels sooooo much better than it does for any Western show.
Jun 27, 2015 3:50 PM

Feb 2012
Goth lolis...lots of them.Or just goth girls in anime.

Jun 27, 2015 4:04 PM

Nov 2014
I like short haired tomboys, i like outer space, i like battles to the death and i like agressive lesbians.

That{s sums it up i think.
Jun 27, 2015 4:23 PM

Aug 2009
So I'm going to look at my top 10 anime and find those elements that i really like.
Alright here I go:
Ergo Proxy: Here is a post-apoctalyptic sci-fi.
What I really liked about it was the 'ATMOSPHERE', 'ARTSTYLE', the symbolism, and the themes.

Steins;Gate: Scifi- Basically the artstyle, the themes, the symbolism, atmosphere, and the originality of it.

Trigun: Another scifi. I love the artstyle, atmosphere, and just how great the action in it is. I love quality characters (which could be said about all my favorite anime)

Nodame Cantabile: Music/Romantic comedy: So the reason I like this so much is that it dives into the lives of musicians, and very talented ones at that. I love the use of classical music. I love the atmosphere, and the art style. And I love the two main characters.

Junjou Romantica: This one is mostly for its intense romances. I really like the art and atmosphere in this one two. It's just too cute. Lol.

Monster- Definitely, the setting, the characters, the very deep and entangled plot with very deep themes. I also loved the very accurate artsyle. It got closer to the human look and still kept being animated looking.

Gurren Laggan: This used to be in my top 5 AT SOME POINT. How can people not like this anime? That artstyle, the use of color, the fast moving frames, its like anime on crack. I like its ridiculous dialogue and fights, its setting, and its atmosphere.

Occult Academy: I like this one for its unpredictability, its complex plotline, its art style, and its atmosphere.

Is this a zombie?!: This one is sort of different than my other favorites (besides gurren laggan). I just found a good portion of the show was outrageously funny (in my opinion), the art style is great, and its a feel good anime. :)

Attack On Titan: This should of made it to my top 5, but I just can't kick any of the rest down the list. LOL. They all stand on almost fairly equal ground. There are SO many things I like about this anime. Its art (for sure), setting, its explaining of the weapons, the unique fighting style, the HUMANITY vs. Giants, instead of fighting against themselves, the cast system (basically there is one, where the poor have to live in the furthest walls), and the interesting cast of characters.
Jun 28, 2015 12:34 AM

Mar 2015
good comedy is all i need.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 28, 2015 12:40 AM

Jul 2011
- Antiheroes

- character development

- Timeskips (lol)
Jun 28, 2015 4:43 AM

May 2015
I haven't watched enough anime to think generally on the storytelling, but I love the art style. It's in this unique position where characters look real, but at the same could never be. The design isn't as cartoonish as stuff like Powerpuff or Dexter, but all those crazy hairdos can't happen in reality.

It gives a lot of freedom in character design.

As for the storytelling, it obviously comes from a different place. You could detect Western influence, but it's not Western. It has its own unique tropes, cliches and obsessions. It's a great way to expose myself to a variety of stories.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 3 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
2 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

21 by xqXpx »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

226 by Jackson1333 »»
10 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

68 by ToG25thBaam »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

37 by xqXpx »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.