Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2013 8:13 PM

Feb 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Taichi has matured a lot.

戦いはよくない。

Is the part where they're kids from the movie? I haven't seen it yet.

So the digivices were made specifically for them using the data they scanned from the kids. But the qualities are stuck on the potential they had as younger kids.

Interesting, so Yamato forcing Gabumon to fight Agumon could have gone really wrong, like with SkullGreymon. x_x

Pfft it'd be kind of traumatic to have a holographic fight happen right through you, being unable to do anything.

Ooh, young Gennai. But what happened to him, did he freeze in the snow or what? @_@

Cutest Digimon babies evar.

At least Yamato seems to have realized that fighting wasn't the answer.

So it looks like we can expect some character development for a few characters soon. Jou turned out to be surprisingly reliable. :)
眠れないのは君のせい
Apr 7, 2014 8:42 AM

Dec 2012
Really, really great episode, can't believe that Digimon has such deep themes when it was supposed to be a children's show. Looks like the Chosen Children have split up, Yamato is out to find his own answer, Mimi is unable to continue and Joe decided to accompany her. The rest march on to defeat the rest of the Dark Masters.
Apr 10, 2014 10:01 AM
Mar 2013
Well it looks like the team is split up again. I didn't expect Mimi to leave as well, that was quite a surprise.

Don't know why Joe had to go with her but it was probably a good idea considering neither of their digimon can digivolve to mega and it's dangerous to go alone.

I really thought Matt was making a huge mistake picking a fight with Tai. He should listen to Gabumon more.
Jul 9, 2014 10:00 PM

Oct 2013
This was some fascinating backstory. I wonder how Devimon got a hold of the tags and why the crests were divided like that considering Piedmon stole them.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 6, 2015 2:08 AM

Jan 2014
emeraldrosary said:
Well it looks like the team is split up again. I didn't expect Mimi to leave as well, that was quite a surprise.
Jun 19, 2015 4:32 AM

Mar 2015
Pretty good ep, nice flashback/ backstory that answers a lot of questions.

I wonder what that thing was that was put in Jedi's back
Jun 18, 2016 3:25 AM

Feb 2013
If the dark masters were ultimate level since then, why didn't they destroy the eggs when they had the chance?
Or at least they should have appeared when the kids came to the digiworld.
Jan 31, 2017 2:35 PM

Dec 2010
Really good episode. Matt was an asshole to an extent that it was clearly visible that even he was feeling uneasy and embarrassed with his own words. That smirks on his face. He looked like a madman for a moment.

Also some backstory, yay. Finally.

ClawViper said:
Really, really great episode, can't believe that Digimon has such deep themes when it was supposed to be a children's show.

Yep. They went from not making any harm to Digimons that attacked them with an excuse - it was a black gear, to Digimon getting killed and tortured. It was quite evident in the Myotismon arc, but now they are dropping like flies. On top of that some good character development and "deeper" themes - like this episode and whole story of Puppetmon from the previous eps. Respectable decisions. Seems like the Dark Masters are bussiness.

Ulquiorra said:
If the dark masters were ultimate level since then, why didn't they destroy the eggs when they had the chance?

It is pretty obvious that there are thousands of Baby-form digimons. It could be quite hard to find those ones.

The second question is interesting. No idea.

emeraldrosary said:

I really thought Matt was making a huge mistake picking a fight with Tai. He should listen to Gabumon more.

Then he would never resolve his problem and he would never advance.

Chouninatte said:
[b]
Interesting, so Yamato forcing Gabumon to fight Agumon could have gone really wrong, like with SkullGreymon. x_x

That would be pretty awesome, but on the other hand, it will crush Matt even more. He would be to depressed to do anything more.

Skull MetalGarurumon ftw though.
Apr 2, 2018 2:40 PM

Apr 2017
One of the best episodes. Digimon backstory starts to make sense!

Ulquiorra said:

emeraldrosary said:

Don't know why Joe had to go with her but it was probably a good idea considering neither of their digimon can digivolve to mega and it's dangerous to go alone.

His main trait was and still is reliabilty. Except from the very beginning , he was reliable and a great help for everyone.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeOct 9, 2020 1:45 AM
--------
Aug 13, 2018 1:44 PM
Mar 2018
This was one of the show's best. The whole scenes with them in the Flashback World or whatever were really cool, the fight scenes were very good as well. The ending with them all splitting up was a bit frustrating but other than that no complaints.
Mar 26, 2020 6:25 PM

May 2008
The explanation and backstory is so-so once you put some thought into it.

Edit: Also I can now see "Hikari is a Mary Sue" angle. Feel kinda dumb for defending against it so hard...
SakariiMar 26, 2020 6:36 PM
Oct 9, 2020 1:47 AM

Dec 2012
LMAO at Taichi walking away and Agumon saying he's matured.
Dat theme. WarGreymon.
Yes! Taichi punched Yamato.
Dem punches for each Digimon.
lol at Tailmon.
Hikari talking to someone. Dat light.
Dat voice.
Hikarigaoka.
Dat theme from the movie. Greymon and the bird.
Parrotmon. Perfect?
Something is using Hikari to speak.
Internal data.
Wanted to talk to them since they first arrived on File Island?
All of them from 4 years ago.
Scanning their data?
Digieggs. The digivice and crest.
Dem holograms.
The stone slate. The gate.
They created the digivice and crest.
The Dark Masters attacked.

And there it is. Greymon was fighting a Perfect level. Now if you go back and watch the movie, you will see the other Edabareshi kodomo-tachi. I noticed them, but I didn't want to say anything in the 1st episode until now. Why would Piemon only take the Crests when the Digivices are right there? I can understand not destroying the eggs since they might just be reborn, but to not take the digivices also? lol Also, how did Devimon get the crests? 4 years in human world time is like thousands in DW time so something must have happened. Glad Taichi beat the shit out of Yamato. Oh, and the last episode ended with Taichi and Yamato close to each and Agumon and MetalGreymon in an open field then the start of this episode has all of them close together.
RobOct 9, 2020 1:54 AM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Feb 19, 2021 11:13 PM

Oct 2009
aww the group is splitting up for now

didn't expect Mimi to volunteer to split up too
Nov 5, 2021 10:53 PM
Nov 2021
I loved the episode and the fact that they made the effort to expand the lore. However, I have some issues with it:

- What was the purpose of the being who possessed Kari to tell the kids all of this? Why Now? It's all cool and stuff but it doesn't seem too helpful for the future.

- Another issue with the timing is that it interrupts the Yamato-Taichi fight, it feels like a cheap way to have Yamato realize his mistake through the exposition with the backstory and all that... and yes maybe his conflict is not fully resolved but I feel like it takes away from the character development to interrupt such a crucial moment.

- If the humans are so necessary. for digimon to digivolve, howcome Gatomon digivolved without Kari? Also why didn't Gabumon "dark digivolve", given that Yamato's attitude was way worse than Taichi's when Greymon digivolved into Skullgreymon? It's literally the same situation but Yamato's case is worse.

- Where were the dark masters all this time? Again, it seems like this whole backstory and Piedmon being there is their attempt to retcon the original story to fill in some plotholes. I understand that this show was originally only meant to be the Devimon arc, but why dig themselves into this hole by trying to make the story more complex than it should be?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 6 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 6, 2010

15 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 5 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

17 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 4 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 3 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 2 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 3, 2010

18 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.