Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 15, 2013 10:17 PM
Mar 2013
Yes, I haven't ever read VNs, but I have this deadly curiosity and interest for them, please help me D:

Some questions:

First, any recommendation? I think I'm kinda sensitive when it comes to music and art(doesn't mean I'm Picky) so I would prefer it to have good art and music

-A place to download them, I get lost easily searching for myself so I need at least a base @_@

-On which consoles I can play VNs? I heard there are some for DS, but at my country it's pretty difficult to find them(That's why I download almost everything)

-How does the patches work? and where I can find translations?(I just read about those, but I don't really understand how It all works)

Thank you beforehand, I am really captivated by the VN(even before playing one) but I am really scared with how I can start with them, I'm really sorry If I am being annoying or something and If my english is bad.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 15, 2013 10:33 PM

Mar 2012
Check this site for VN database. It have many thing from console to patch that's available.

http://vndb.org/

A site that I use to download.

http://erogedownload.com/

And for recomandation try Katawa Shoujo since it's free and easy to play.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 15, 2013 11:16 PM
Mar 2013
Thank you!, I just created an account on Vndatabase, there seems to be a lot of releases for each VN, also thank you for the recomendation, will search It right away.

Btw, for the non-free VN, is there any way to download them?
Jul 15, 2013 11:19 PM

Mar 2012
Use the site that I give you above. t's limited but there are many good stuff there.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 16, 2013 4:03 AM
Jul 2018
AnotherPeanut said:

Btw, for the non-free VN, is there any way to download them?

shhh... quiet.
Jul 16, 2013 10:29 AM

Oct 2011
Two good VNs that are available on Steam are

To the Moon and Analogue: A Hate Story.

Katawa Shoujo is a really good VN which you can download for free here: http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/download.php

If you got a DS there's 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors which are available for that.

And the sequel Virtue's Last Reward are available for 3DS or Vita if you got any of those.
fluffybumbumJul 17, 2013 8:18 AM
Jul 16, 2013 2:15 PM

Apr 2012
'To The Moon' isn't really a proper VN.
Jul 16, 2013 2:29 PM

Apr 2012
Good art and music with a nice story: check out Hoshizora No Memoria

You can play VNs pretty much any console, but most of the translations will be for the PC. There are very very few VNs that are translated for the 360/PS3. DS and PSP have some VNs.

The other stuff mostly has been explained, but you can use vndb.org to see which VNs have a full translation, etc. English patches are very easy to use. After obtaining a VN, you just download the patch and either drag it to your installation folder or sometimes the patch will be a .exe file in which you just double click and install the patch that way.
Jul 16, 2013 3:56 PM

Oct 2011
almightywiggles said:
'To The Moon' isn't really a proper VN.

Well, it falls in under the same category as corpse party I suppose.
Jul 16, 2013 4:49 PM
Mar 2013
xdesix said:
Good art and music with a nice story: check out Hoshizora No Memoria

Will Check It out! Thank you very much!

What about VN from Key?, I heard they are pretty popular, any way to get/buy/download them?

fluffybumbum said:
Two good VNs that are available on Steam are

To the Moon and Analogue: A Hate Story.

If you got a DS there's 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors which are available for that.

And the sequel Virtue's Last Reward are available for 3DS or Vita if you got any of those.

Thank you!! I will search for them too, great to see that they are on steam, since it's pretty easy to download from It.

Will search for 999 too, but I dont have 3DS nor Vita.

PD: I'm playing katawa shoujo, I get the feeling that I am gonna cry at some point (Which is good, I think), Thanks again!!
Jul 16, 2013 5:32 PM

Apr 2012
I believe NeoAnkara already linked you a good site to get the VNs from :P

Yes, Key is a very nice company that makes good VNs. I think people are kind of mixed about the art, but the stories are very highly praised. Clannad, Rewrite, Kanon.. you have a good number of choices there. See what interests you and play it :P
Jul 17, 2013 5:59 AM

Sep 2009
@fluffybumbum
To the Moon has nothing to do with VNs whatsoever. Katawa Shoujo and Analogue are non-Japanese titles (although KS is actually somewhat decent despite that). And as far as I know, 999 and VLR both have quite a bit of gameplay elements. Couldn't you recommend a more typical, Japanese VN instead? :P

@AnotherPeanut
If you want good art and music, you can try:
Drama/Romance: Ef.
Drama: Planetarian, Narcissu and Narcissu side 2nd (freeware).
Slice-of-life/Romance: Period, Quartett, Katahane.
Something darker: Saya no Uta, Swan Song.

If you want something from Key, Planetarian aside, Kanon will probably be the best choice for starters. Clannad is very long and the translation isn't exactly polished at times and Little Busters ME/EX version isn't translated yet. Rewrite is good, but I wouldn't really classify it as a Key~ish VN, it's just... different.

Other than that, you can't really go wrong with any of the top rated titles from VNDB, so just pick something to your liking. ^^
Jul 17, 2013 8:13 AM

Oct 2011
What can I say. I recomend only the best. ;)

To the Moon and Corpse Party: BC would probably fall in the same category. VN or Light adventure game, I've seen them classefied as both. Different strokes I supose.

Speaking of Corpse party. That's like 5 dollars on PSN for the PSP so you can check that out if you got that. It's a decent little Horror VN.

Also if you like good art:
Dischan got a free one called Junipers Knot you can download of their site: http://junipersknot.dischan.org/
They also got a short one called Dysfunctional systems that's cost 5USD if you're interested: https://dischan.org/store/product.php?productID=8

Very beginner friendly both of them.

fluffybumbumJul 17, 2013 8:33 AM
Jul 17, 2013 9:10 AM

Apr 2012
Junipers Knot is available in the App Store on iTunes as well so is very accessible.
Jul 17, 2013 10:34 PM
Mar 2013
xdesix said:
I believe NeoAnkara already linked you a good site to get the VNs from :P
P

Oh, but that's mostly for eroge, I think...

Is there any page with more general content? (⌒_⌒;)( if I'm not asking much)

Pabloc said:

If you want good art and music, you can try:
Drama/Romance: Ef.
Drama: Planetarian, Narcissu and Narcissu side 2nd (freeware).
Slice-of-life/Romance: Period, Quartett, Katahane.
Something darker: Saya no Uta, Swan Song.

If you want something from Key, Planetarian aside, Kanon will probably be the best choice for starters. Clannad is very long and the translation isn't exactly polished at times and Little Busters ME/EX version isn't translated yet. Rewrite is good, but I wouldn't really classify it as a Key~ish VN, it's just... different.

Other than that, you can't really go wrong with any of the top rated titles from VNDB, so just pick something to your liking. ^^

Thank you!! Ef, Saya no uta and Planetarian really attracted me, Quartett seems pretty good too(since I am a musician)
I will eventually check all of them, I think I am having a good start here, thank you very much!

BTW, which aspects make a VN hard? I think one of them is the length, but is there any other?

fluffybumbum said:

Speaking of Corpse party. That's like 5 dollars on PSN for the PSP so you can check that out if you got that. It's a decent little Horror VN.

Also if you like good art:
Dischan got a free one called Junipers Knot you can download of their site: http://junipersknot.dischan.org/
They also got a short one called Dysfunctional systems that's cost 5USD if you're interested: https://dischan.org/store/product.php?productID=8

Very beginner friendly both of them.

Thank you again~, I feel that these days will be pretty busy with all the recomendations (*´∀`*) thank you for helping me!
Jul 17, 2013 11:25 PM

Feb 2012
Oh, but that's mostly for eroge, I think...

Is there any page with more general content? (⌒_⌒;)( if I'm not asking much)
Wrong. Erogedownload is full of all-age content. I downloaded every single VN I read from there.

BTW, which aspects make a VN hard? I think one of them is the length, but is there any other?
The choices to get you to a good ending are quite hard in some cases. And there are VNs with gameplay, for example I heard a lot of people had trouble beating Sengoku Rance's strategic game.
Jul 22, 2013 3:40 AM

Apr 2010
True Remembrance is a great free Visual Novel, good to get into this kind of games without spending any money. It's short and it has good music and backgrounds, I don't like too much the character design but it's not that bad. Also, it is a kinetic novel, no choices to make.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Top 5 VNs ( 1 2 3 )

AltriaPendragon - Jun 2, 2013

120 by Fischer77 »»
Jan 28, 2023 5:49 PM

» Top 10 Heroines from all the VN's you have read?

Riptos - Jun 23, 2021

1 by UIGodFather »»
Jul 3, 2021 7:19 AM

» What VN are you currently playing? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MayuAsagiri - Dec 17, 2013

434 by removed-user »»
Apr 25, 2021 6:26 AM

» Member Birthday List ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Mar 8, 2011

126 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Apr 23, 2021 4:51 PM

» Visual Novel Data Base Account ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Jan 29, 2011

106 by removed-user »»
Apr 14, 2021 4:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.