Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 16, 2013 9:47 PM

Oct 2011
I've never watched an anime where plot points came from nothing, where the dialogue was so crappy and nothing was ever explained. This is by far the most confusing and incomprehensible anime I've ever seen.
Jun 16, 2013 9:52 PM

Aug 2012
I would credit most of the blame to the ending.
Jun 17, 2013 4:34 PM

Apr 2008
Olwen said:
This is by far the most confusing and incomprehensible anime I've ever seen.

You give 2 to Summer Wars, 8 to Tamako Market, 10 to K-ON and 4 to Howl no Ugoku Shiro. Reading your list from the bottom to the top will make me discovers many interesting titles, thank you.
Jun 17, 2013 11:12 PM

Jun 2008
Holy crap it's Olwen.

Yes, this anime has been pretty incomprehensible. Not in a good way.
Jun 17, 2013 11:17 PM
May 2012
Yeah I didn't really understand it either. It was intriguing for a few episodes, but then nothing was explained and some more random shit went down.
Jun 17, 2013 11:26 PM

Apr 2008
It's perfectly comprehensible and almost all parts are explained. Maybe "pointless" is a better way to describe this anime in your own opinion, but it's far better than the 90% of crap out of there.
Jun 18, 2013 1:20 AM

Apr 2012
You could just ask the people here if you don't understand, you know? Rather than making stupid thread like this.
Jun 18, 2013 9:22 AM

Oct 2011
Ddustz said:
You could just ask the people here if you don't understand, you know? Rather than making stupid thread like this.

If it's hard for a lot of people to understand, it means that the producers are doing something wrong. Anime are supposed to have easily comprehensible plot points and such.
Jun 18, 2013 9:33 AM

Dec 2009
Olwen said:
Anime are supposed to have easily comprehensible plot points and such.

Wrong.
Jun 18, 2013 9:41 AM

Mar 2012
I agree. Honestly, RDG had to be longer to accommodate all the sub-plots it introduced. That's why they felt like they "came out of nothing"...because in a way, they did. This series wasn't long enough to properly explain where they came from and unfortunately, it didn't close the door on many of them either.
Jun 18, 2013 10:08 AM

Apr 2008
Vesanus said:
Olwen said:

Wrong.

This.
Jun 18, 2013 3:26 PM

Jul 2009
Awesome art, that's for sure, but really, the plot was bad...actually what was the plot?! I mean, first the whole goodness thing that didn't get to a closure, then the school competition, that for what?
Jun 18, 2013 9:21 PM

Jun 2008
Olwen said:
If it's hard for a lot of people to understand, it means that the producers are doing something wrong. Anime are supposed to have easily comprehensible plot points and such.

Agreed with the first sentence (for the most part), disagree on second. You're basically saying anime should only ever be for simpletons. That's an unfair restriction to put on any entertainment medium.
Jun 18, 2013 9:34 PM

Oct 2011
I tried to say that, while anime can be hard to understand (Neon Genesis Evangelion was and was a good anime) it can't be on the level of RDG.
Jun 19, 2013 1:22 AM

Nov 2012
well not all anime is good :/ you dont have to make this topic either :/
it is not really that important -_-
Jun 22, 2013 5:18 AM

Mar 2012
This anime seemed like it had potential in the first few episodes but then it just went downhill due to the lack of explanation for several things leading to loss of interest of the story and boredom.
Jun 22, 2013 11:17 AM

Aug 2012
I wouldn't call it horrible, but I think several things could have been handled better, however I'm not sure whenever it's the original source (since I never read it) or it's the director choices that made it so, I'm tempted to say it was the director's choices.

For me the main issue was that while it suppose to relay on character development there was very little of it, especially considering the side characters, and it wasn't because there were only 12 episodes, many opportunities just went wasted. Also, while I understand that the main point was about Izumiko experiencing new things, she seemed such a toddler every now and then even for a sheltered child. I think this attribute of hers could have been handled differently. It was suppose to be the main drive behind the show but didn't deliver what I hoped it would.

On the other hand many of Izumiko's moments as the goddess were great. The scene between her as deity manifestation and Miyuki in episode 9 that caused Miyuki react the way he reacted later in episode 10 (the laughing part) was one of the highlights for me. There were many such great fragments and that what kept me watching it.

Overall this show feels sort of like Izumiko, unsure of itself up until the last couple episodes.
Jun 22, 2013 11:36 AM

Jan 2009
Unfortunately, I'd still call it horrible. Indeed there were a couple of pretty interesting and promisisng ideas. And it's art is of a high standard. But it is totally empty!!!! And the dialogs do not match each other. Plot is coming out of nowhere, going enywhere but forward. And there are SO MANY annoying things in it, which make it almost unbearable. Honestly, I do not remenber when was the last time I abhoreda series this much.
Jun 22, 2013 2:29 PM

Oct 2010
Urk, if it weren't for the characters, I'd 100% agree with those who call this anime horrible.

To me, this anime is mediocre at best and because I enjoy those OTP moments, I don't find this anime completely horrible. It's not even the fact that I don't understand it that bothers me. I'll sit through an uninteresting or confusing anime if the plot progresses and somewhat makes sense. RDG has no such qualities and events occur without basic logic.

So yeah, in a nutshell, RDG is an average anime recommended for those who have already read the LN or who likes to blindly accept random, unexplained plot progression.
Jun 23, 2013 2:47 AM

Jun 2009
The production value is great, art especially, pretty does not even begin to describe it.

The characters are interesting too.

Sadly the storyboard did not compliment the art and character. While I'm not confuse by the plot, I believe many couldn't follow it, and quite frankly, the story progression is very shaky.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2013 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
chirale said:
Vesanus said:
Olwen said:

Wrong.

This.
^This
Aug 23, 2013 3:28 PM

Jan 2013
Dropped right after 2nd episode. It was dull and uninteresting.
Hase0Aug 23, 2013 3:34 PM
Sep 3, 2013 7:24 AM

Jun 2011
Hase0 said:

It was more of the slice of life thing, peaceful atmosphere, not those that have "pink explosion" in every episodes.

Though I agree they could've handle it a lot better, explain some parts, but it's still entertaining nonetheless, and I love shipping those characters :p

Cookie338 said:
chirale said:
Vesanus said:
Olwen said:

Wrong.

This.
^This

This ^x2
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 3, 2013 7:46 AM

Jun 2013
Go prove that anime are in no way supposed to have a comprehensible plot.
Sep 11, 2013 3:23 PM

Dec 2010
It was great in my opinion. There were few parts that felt bad, but this anime was a rare candy for shinto concept-lovers like myself. The animation and the characters were awesome as well. The ending was uncalled for, so early on, tho.
Oct 7, 2013 9:48 AM
Jul 2008
I fell for the atmosphere, and loved this. Who doesn't like bumper cars or rollercoasters, they're not always smooth rides.

It felt like a visual novel now that I think about it, where you get your background info dump in the beginning, the usually confusing but amazing story slapped in the face, then forced to play through all the routes and sub routes - that pieces the story together - to get the the true ending( which we didn't get in within this 12-episode show) that explains everything.

It was a very poor decision to cut the series to 12 episodes and not show the ending. Not sure whether it was due to budget constraints, unfinished LN or a let-see-how-well-it-sells-first marketing and then make a "second season". Seasons should never cut a series in half if possible, it was like Kakumeiki Valvrave where we got hung on a cliffhanger although not so obviously in this case.

Still enjoyed it in the end however, guess it was a hit or miss for most people.

Natsu12345 said:
Cookie338 said:
chirale said:
Vesanus said:
Olwen said:
Wrong.
This.
^This
This ^x2
x3
Jyupita said:
Lots of people enjoy puzzles and problem solving, getting spoon-fed a linear story is not the only way to tell a story.
KJacketOct 7, 2013 10:20 AM
Oct 7, 2013 9:49 AM

Aug 2012
Well, it's a good thing I dropped it.
Dec 24, 2013 9:31 AM

Jul 2008
Ddustz said:

NO

1. The anime or Any other media need to be understandably by it self, and that mean even things that need thinking like Lain and other anime.

2. I don't think the original post say he didn't understand, i understand these anime it just DULL
i will not call it bad, but it not good, it kind of average anime.

3. My problem with these anime is, thing happen for no reason, and there no any kind of struggle or Plot, i good to hide thing from the viewers, but don't hide the plot it self.
Jun 16, 2014 2:41 PM

Jul 2010
ToG25thBaam said:
Hase0 said:

It was more of the slice of life thing, peaceful atmosphere, not those that have "pink explosion" in every episodes.

Though I agree they could've handle it a lot better, explain some parts, but it's still entertaining nonetheless, and I love shipping those characters :p

Cookie338 said:
^This

This ^x2

Because stories where, when the reason why something happened is revealed and it makes you realize what four or five things that didn't make sense earlier really meant are just too challenging for the average mind to comprehend?

Sorry, this story was complex and steeped in Japanese folk lore. I found myself looking up the various sites they visited and the groups they dealt with (mountain monks, the 9-headed-draggon, etc...) to find out more about them after each episode.

In terms of "hiding things", the story was told, for the most part, from the perspective of what Izumiko knew, with a small part being from the perspective of Miyuki. We found things out as the two main characters found them out. However, it was very clear that there was some sort of competition going on at the school that they didn't know about and it involved the concept of people like Izumiko being "endangered". It was also clear from episode 5 on that

I really loved the show and my only beef with it is that they rushed books 4 and 5 and didn't finish the damned story by skipping book 6. I am re-watching the dub on Funimation and it is really well done. The bickering scenes with Izumiko and Miyuki really do come across like an old, married couple.

Oh, and my daughter, who just turned 13, watched the show when it came out and she didn't have ANY trouble following the plot or figuring out what was going on...
zensunniJun 16, 2014 2:45 PM
Jun 25, 2014 3:31 AM

Jan 2008
Jyupita said:

Are you trying to say that someone should prove that anime are supposed to not have a comprehensible plot? Cause I'm pretty sure no one said that.

What was said is anime don't have to have a easily comprehensible plot. Which is true, they don't have to have that. Most people would prefer if they did but there's always room niche things.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
Oct 4, 2014 1:52 PM

Aug 2013
Olwen said:
I've never watched an anime where plot points came from nothing, where the dialogue was so crappy and nothing was ever explained. This is by far the most confusing and incomprehensible anime I've ever seen.

I guess that your taste is just horrible.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 20, 2014 10:30 AM

Apr 2009
gonna watch now!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2022 8:01 AM
Apr 2020
Olwen said:

You as a person who gave boku no piko a 8/10 have no right to comment on cultural master piece. Its nit about thw narrative. Its about the concepts and ideas it messes with.
Jul 19, 2023 5:59 AM

Jul 2022
It's an odd story that felt rushed somehow. I don't really have the background knowledge of Japanese history or mythology to intuitively understand what's happening at times, so it feels like I missed a previous season or some kind of prologue that introduces more of the context around the story.

It ended just as it finally got interesting. I wouldn't call it bad, but it's definitely mediocre from my western-coded perspective. Though I'm also heavily biased against meek characters in general, especially the damsel in distress trope that RDR lays on so thick. Watching a helpless MC that gets used like a welcome mat as they're constantly lead by the nose just hits all the wrong frequencies with me, but unfortunately it's not an uncommon thing in anime. It is what it is... on to the next adventure.

Edit: Oh and I felt kinda bad for Miyuki in the end there.
WarchiiiJul 19, 2023 6:12 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

199 by KempachiZaraki »»
Aug 2, 2023 11:52 AM

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2013

133 by Hanemiyakazutora »»
Dec 12, 2021 8:20 PM

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2013

82 by Stardew »»
Jul 5, 2021 2:37 PM

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2013

89 by Stardew »»
Jul 3, 2021 11:56 PM

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2013

209 by Stardew »»
Jul 1, 2021 8:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.