Forum Settings
Forums

Otakus VS anime fans which of us are in the majority?

New
Are you Otaku or Anime fan?
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
May 12, 2013 7:51 AM

Sep 2011
if someone called me a otaku id probably take it as an insult

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 12, 2013 7:52 AM

Jan 2013
Leapling said:
Otakus and weeaboos are equally annoying, can't you be a normal fan like everyone else?

Being normal is overrated.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

May 12, 2013 8:01 AM

Mar 2013
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

In Japan, it kinda is.
May 12, 2013 8:02 AM

Oct 2012
>" I don't watch animes for kids like Digimon, Pokemon, Yu-GI-Og etc."
>Calls himself true dedicated otaku

wait wut

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 12, 2013 9:24 AM

Mar 2013
i'm a giraffe
May 12, 2013 9:33 AM

Jun 2008
When I was 15 (holy shit 10 years ago) I had a friend who had studied in Japan explain to me why I wouldn't want to call myself an otaku. I have full-length body pillows, but the covers for them are monochromatic. One orange, and one black. And those colors represent the Baltimore Orioles. So I might have an unhealthy obsession but it's with something much more accepted in society.

Despite this, for what it's worth my 3 of my favorite days of the year are Otakon, Convention for Otaku Generation.
May 12, 2013 9:51 AM

Feb 2010
From your definition I'd be an Otaku, but given the fact that I'm not your definition must be wrong.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 12, 2013 10:03 AM

Oct 2007
Chakaara said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

In Japan, it kinda is.

In Japan, it totally is.
May 12, 2013 10:12 AM

Feb 2013
Anime fan here.

The only thing I have around other than the anime itself, are around 4000+ desktop wallpapers for all the shows I like (not just anime)... although over 1000 are Madoka Magica due to the unreasonable adorableness... wallpaper slideshow FTW.
May 12, 2013 12:47 PM

Nov 2012
Seeing as I'm not a basement dweller with a large collection of body pillows.
I'm an anime fan.
Being an otaku is unhealthy.
May 12, 2013 12:54 PM

Dec 2012
Still don't know why people use the word otaku as if it's meant to be a good thing...

May 12, 2013 1:07 PM
Mar 2011
brakesforturtles said:
When I was 15 (holy shit 10 years ago) I had a friend who had studied in Japan explain to me why I wouldn't want to call myself an otaku. I have full-length body pillows, but the covers for them are monochromatic. One orange, and one black. And those colors represent the Baltimore Orioles. So I might have an unhealthy obsession but it's with something much more accepted in society.

Despite this, for what it's worth my 3 of my favorite days of the year are Otakon, Convention for Otaku Generation.

ypur a sports Otaku then
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 12, 2013 1:08 PM

Nov 2010
Negative-Travis said:

Thirding.

By the way, OP, the plural form of "anime" is fucking "anime" and having an extreme passion for literally anything would qualify you as an "otaku".
As an example: I east, sleep, and breathe cars, therefore one could consider me a car "otaku".

Oh, and one other thing: The plural form of "otaku" is "otaku".

and OP dares to call himself an otaku xD

i'm just a anime fan and even i still facepalm myself when i see somebody say "animes" same with otaku... english is far from my native language but this is just common knowledgen, or so i thought. and making these mistakes while you claim yourself an otaku?

and here's a decent explenation to what an otaku is

Otaku wiki
May 12, 2013 1:12 PM

Aug 2009
I just really enjoy anime. I wouldn't say I am an otaku per se only because I don't buy anime related paraphernalia. I mostly watch anime to pass the time. And I do enjoy drawing and making up my own characters as an hobby.
If your stomach feels weak then my work here is done.

May 12, 2013 1:21 PM

Oct 2012
wukp said:
Leapling said:
Otakus and weeaboos are equally annoying, can't you be a normal fan like everyone else?

Being normal is overrated.

Wow dude.
Why so hipster?

May 12, 2013 1:24 PM
Sep 2012
I consider myself an anime fan. I don't devote my life to anime and I often go through phases where I don't watch any shows at all.
May 12, 2013 2:58 PM
May 2013
Considering that I hardly watch anime these days due to school, I'd say just plain anime fan. Sometimes on the weekends I watch a couple episodes of an anime DVD that I brought with me to university, but I usually don't spend lots of my time looking for new anime or things like that.

However, I do sometimes buy anime magazines because I like checking out the manga and anime reviews to see what's new. :3
May 12, 2013 3:23 PM

Nov 2008
worldeditor11 said:
GoldenBRS said:
Tommk said:
I'm a potato

this

That
I don't get this. Is this supposed to be a portal reference?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
May 12, 2013 3:25 PM

Apr 2012
Guess i'm an anime fan, but a big anime fan so ;D
May 12, 2013 3:30 PM
Apr 2010
Nemytika said:
Guess i'm an otaku

fix'd.

Anime fan btw.
May 12, 2013 3:42 PM

Jun 2009
hard to tell . i love anime , i find it to be my hobby and not just watching for passing time. but there is always a period of time in which i dont watch anime . dunno , its just like that so i cant say only 1 answer unfortunately . im both and maybe none .
Gabriel

May 12, 2013 3:47 PM

Apr 2012
NiN10d0h said:
Nemytika said:
Guess i'm an otaku

fix'd.

Anime fan btw.

Guess nop , anime is just a hobby to me , but i like it as much as football or gfx so yea "big" but not otaku ;)
May 12, 2013 5:45 PM

Aug 2011
Well, I do love anime to the point of obsession over the culture (when I say culture, Japanese media in general), but I'd rather not call myself an otaku.

I do wonder how the Japanese feel about weaboos and their butchering of the language. I mean if it was me I'd be annoyed. Weaboos already irk me. I'd go around anime cons seeing weaboos talking about how 'sugoi' or 'kawaii' that one guy/girl/whatever looked. Probably my biggest pet peeve. I mean I mostly hate it because they use those words to sound knowledgeable in Japanese, if you're going to say those words speak in the language. It annoys me even more when those are the only words they know. Which is most of the cases.
LaciieMay 12, 2013 5:51 PM
May 13, 2013 12:39 AM

Jan 2013

MajinSagaMay 13, 2013 12:44 AM
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
May 13, 2013 4:48 AM

Apr 2013
Otaku
May 13, 2013 1:32 PM

May 2013
Anime fan. I just watch Anime when i have the time for it.
May 13, 2013 2:04 PM

Dec 2012
An Anime Fan, allbeit a hardcore one. I would not call myself an otaku because of the negative connotations which I don't share. Plus I have other interests and obsessions besides anime, and a job, and a social life.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 13, 2013 2:57 PM

Dec 2011
Definitely just an anime fan. I don't find anime to be the only medium of entertainment that I enjoy (not that I look down on people who do). I do collect figures and I will buy dvds/blurays/mangas of series that I really like but I think that is just part of being a casual anime fan. I don't make my life all about anime so that's one reason why I wouldn't consider myself an Otaku.
May 13, 2013 3:05 PM

Dec 2012
Uhm.. kinda the same thing?
May 13, 2013 3:07 PM

Mar 2013
anders160196 said:

You're gonna get insulted.
May 13, 2013 4:10 PM

Mar 2013
+1 Otaku
For me, when I am interested in something I have to look at it as a whole. I can't just center out a particular part of it... it's just rude to me.

Anime isn't really a big thing for me. I prefer manga over anime any day... There's so many that I've read and that I am reading that I am cross between this site and another; I am also highly interested in Japanese culture, both traditional and pop; and I am an avid Asian fashion blogger/admirer.

UtsukushiiYume said:
Well, I do love anime to the point of obsession over the culture (when I say culture, Japanese media in general), but I'd rather not call myself an otaku.

I do wonder how the Japanese feel about weaboos and their butchering of the language. I mean if it was me I'd be annoyed. Weaboos already irk me. I'd go around anime cons seeing weaboos talking about how 'sugoi' or 'kawaii' that one guy/girl/whatever looked. Probably my biggest pet peeve. I mean I mostly hate it because they use those words to sound knowledgeable in Japanese, if you're going to say those words speak in the language. It annoys me even more when those are the only words they know. Which is most of the cases.

Weeaboos/Wapanese/Japanophiles and Otaku share a similarity... and that is being obsessive about (something). Sure, both sides have major differences in their level of obsessiveness but it's not a grand idea to blow fire at them just because they crave that desire of "being Japanese" and "living the Japanese dream"... which can also be applied to the "otaku" too. [First Rule: "Anime conventions are for everyone. Don't hate."] I think you are being a little bit too extreme about their level of obsessiveness. It's not like they go around the internet posting, "Oh, those otakus know nothing about Japan. They've barely scratched the surface. They're naive and should be ashamed about their lack of truly knowing Japan."

Mod Edit: Merged posts. Please do not double post.
LunaMay 14, 2013 12:07 AM
May 13, 2013 5:33 PM

Nov 2012
Any one who calls themselves an otaku is just asking for trouble.
how i r8

1- crpy animee no gud
10- gud aniem, dep plot, lots of cute grls
May 14, 2013 3:13 AM

Oct 2012
My only hobbies are watching anime, reading manga, procrastinating, eating and drawing manga.
I spend the majority of pocket money on anime and manga merchandise.
I always wake up early to do my homework or do it at lunch, and instead, go on MAL, Crunchyroll, watch anime, etc.
I don't have any other interests.
Right now, during highschool, I have no friends due to my lack of social skills. I sit by myself in a group of boys' i don't know and read manga.
I'm no otaku, though. Just an anime fan.

May 14, 2013 2:44 PM

May 2012
Wow, I was seriously inspired by the first reply, I'll try to do my own thing:

I'm a carrot.
May 14, 2013 2:52 PM

Aug 2012
anders160196 said:

May 14, 2013 3:38 PM

Oct 2012
How are we defining Otaku? Is it a persons interest level in the medium combined with with lack of social skills? Do you have to own merchandise? Do you have to poorly implement Japanese words in your speech? Is it a mentality? Or something else?

While anime isn't my only hobby it is probably my favorite out of the other ones and I certainly have a bit of merchandise, but I've always considered myself just a fan.

May 14, 2013 3:41 PM

Apr 2013
I am not an Anime Otaku but I'm a Tenshi Hinanawi Otaku... Does that count?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2013 5:22 PM

Apr 2011
I'm not an anime otaku, and those people annoy me.
Most of them (non japanese speaker) forcefully want to talk japanese or use japanese common words very often.
That shit is embarrassing when you know they're doing it just because.
I'm still very addicted to J-music, since I started watching anime I barely listen to anything that's not japanese.
May 14, 2013 5:35 PM

Apr 2013
Tormented said:
I'm not an anime otaku, and those people annoy me.
Most of them (non japanese speaker) forcefully want to talk japanese or use japanese common words very often.
That shit is embarrassing when you know they're doing it just because.
I'm still very addicted to J-music, since I started watching anime I barely listen to anything that's not japanese.

"Forcefully want to talk Japanese or use Japanese common words very often" Weeaboo's are bat shit crazy and annoying huh? ^ ^

many anime fans that claim themselves to be a Otaku, yet many of them don't even know what the word means and what a Otaku is.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2013 5:45 PM

Jan 2008
KiteTheAzure said:

many anime fans that claim themselves to be a Otaku, yet many of them don't even know what the word means and what a Otaku is.

Who are these fans you speak of? The only people i know that claim to be otakus are the ones that go to conventions and so on and so forth.

May 14, 2013 5:49 PM

May 2012
I'm just a huge hardcore anime fan.

Otaku? idk what that is, but it sounds tasty. What does that taste like?
May 14, 2013 5:57 PM

Apr 2013
Synrite said:
KiteTheAzure said:

Who are these fans you speak of? The only people i know that claim to be otakus are the ones that go to conventions and so on and so forth.

Many anime fans as in ones that go to Anime cons yearly I have met, while I was still in High School anime was quite popular even the college I still go to its popular among the students and many of them are Otaku's. I have been to Anime clubs where majority of them are Otaku's and the majority of all the Otaku's i met don't know what the word Otaku means or what a Otaku is and don't know Otaku is a insult in Japan.

So yeah I'd say's quite many fans, not all of them obviously but many of them I have met in RL
May 14, 2013 6:01 PM

Jun 2012
TheGreat1s said:

It tastes like nerd.
May 14, 2013 6:15 PM

Jan 2008
KiteTheAzure said:
I have been to Anime clubs where majority of them are Otaku's and the majority of all the Otaku's i met don't know what the word Otaku means or what a Otaku is and don't know Otaku is a insult in Japan.

That isn't quite true. You are interpreting the term anime otaku to define only 1 type of person.

May 14, 2013 6:17 PM

Feb 2013
I don't consider myself an Otaku, but I love anime and it's a big part of me. So I think I'm just anime fan.

May 14, 2013 6:21 PM

Sep 2012
MEanimaniac1 said:
TheGreat1s said:

It tastes like nerd.

It tastes like embarrassment.
May 14, 2013 6:24 PM

Jan 2008
Jauregui said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
TheGreat1s said:

It tastes like nerd.

Only for the insecure.

Nov 3, 2013 8:05 AM

Apr 2013
im a big anime fan, i can atleast name 50 anime, but i wouldn't call myself an otaku, because i socialize and go out every so often, and i have friends
Haters be hating.. lovers be loving... potatoes be potatoeing
Nov 3, 2013 10:24 AM

Sep 2011
What exactly makes an otaku? Ive heard very bad things about it, but I watch a lot of anime and I support the industry by purchasing their merchandise... does that make me an otaku? If so, I guess I am one. LOL
Nov 3, 2013 10:26 AM

Sep 2011
Synrite said:
Jauregui said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
TheGreat1s said:

It tastes like nerd.

Only for the insecure.
you shouldnt always be proud of your embarrassments, anime is not one of them

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 30 minutes ago

3 by _cjessop19_ »»
17 seconds ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
26 seconds ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

114 by vampirismsxc »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

86 by vampirismsxc »»
6 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 21 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.