Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 8, 2013 11:48 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Wow, did they seriously just do that? Was that just for fun to piss off everyone who watched it? It built up slowly and slowly. It was frustrating, but sweet and damn near perfectly executed and then......... Really?!? WTF!!! No way this show just ended like that. I'm pissed.
May 23, 2013 3:50 PM
Aug 2012
KingYoshi said:
Wow, did they seriously just do that? Was that just for fun to piss off everyone who watched it? It built up slowly and slowly. It was frustrating, but sweet and damn near perfectly executed and then......... Really?!? WTF!!! No way this show just ended like that. I'm pissed.

If you read the manga you'd notice that the anime stays absolutely 100% true to the manga. That being said there is A LOT of stuff in the manga too and this season only scratched the surface. I'm guessing that they didn't want to stray, anticipating a season 2 to cover the rest. Perhaps there will be someday or maybe it just wasn't popular enough to go through with a season two. Anyway, the manga's out there if you want to read it; it's pretty good.
Jun 17, 2013 1:47 PM
Jan 2008
I also didn't like the ending, but I'm pleased with the overall series.
Jul 20, 2013 12:58 PM

Dec 2012
Just read the manga if you wish the continue where the anime left off. That being said, I still would love a second season but I don't think that'll ever happen unless suddenly the sales skyrocket.
Aug 1, 2013 12:36 AM
Sep 2008
Everyone can say "read the manga and you see what happens" but thats not the point. It's what that ending did to such a great story is INJUSTICE! They could've made a way better ending OR make a OVA to finish the story if they're not gonna continue the series.

I'm gonna read the manga to to find out what happens with them, but DAMN why did they had to f@#k up such a beautiful anime with that ending!
Jul 23, 2014 8:13 AM

Oct 2009
So is this show worth watching after all? :S
Nov 1, 2014 8:25 PM

Oct 2012
it's a good series even with this ending do i recommended yes and after that start reading from where the anime stops i think it's CH.13
"Happiness is like glass. It may be all around you, yet be invisible. But if you change your angle of viewing a little, then it will reflect light more beautifully than any other object around you."
Dec 1, 2014 1:46 AM

Nov 2014
KingYoshi said:

I just finished the anime and I'm sitting here fuming over the same thing right now. But I guess it's a good way to sell the manga. I have to buy it now because I need to know what happens next! Hopefully the manga has some kind of resolution.
Aug 9, 2022 7:19 PM

Feb 2019
Every time again, it baffles me how so many people are unable to actually understand how to write - and end - a story and are expecting cheap Hollywood happy endings from manga & anime as well.
The ending in the anime reflects the setting and message of the story perfectly - for those who missed the point; this show wasn't a shounen series building on the tropes of overcoming ones weakness in the pursuite of defeating some eternal evil.

Of course as always, most aspects in literature and storytelling are subjective and taste & opinions differ - but that doesn't apply to every single aspect - there are some more objective truths in stortelling that are building some sort of 'standard' how to write a good story - rules which are important in regards to art-expression & craftmanship in general. In this particular case the message of the show was hardly hidden or obfuscated - and the ending was pretty much the most believable. People tend to overlook this aspects, since cheaply produced media taught us that stereotypical narratives of the extremes have way more short-term impact than actual believeable developments and in reality inter-social relationships don't tend to work in the way that they build themselves up first, just to escalate at one point while leading to a clear defined dramatic or happy end that brings full closure and resolution. That's just not how reality works - but especially western media and Hollywood did a great job teaching people to expect such questionable endings to a story.

It's surely not that I don't get it - many shoujo ai dramas tend to work with such clean-cut black and white narratives as well - so one might expect them everywhere sind we're used to them - but with how the show portrayed the main characters and their development, the ending makes simply absolute sense. What would be the other options? After being good friends for such a long time, one confesses their romantic feelings for the other and it either ends in them living happily ever after? From an realism-standpoint it could also end in a complete desaster with their friendship breaking completely - that WOULD be a common option for sure, but why are YOU as viewer/reader actually calling for some trite and stereotypical ending used in every other shoujo ai story anyways? Why would YOU actually want the story already told a thousand times instead of something 'believeable'? (can't call it a novum - because endings like this are also rather common to be honest...)

I frustrates me quite a lot how few people actually can deal with open endings in drama shows - and I wouldn't be surprised if the people complaining are actually the very same people liking typical tele-novelas and similar stuff - narratives that are basically the embodiment of open endings...

Usually you find people misinterpreting unresolved romance in those shows as something negative - completely missing the point that an open ending is at least not a tragic one and that the hypothetical life of the characters doesn't end with the end of the narration. So while the ending is open - it actually leaves more than enough room for a potential/hypothetical happy ending outside the scope of the actual narration. And lets be completely real here... in regards to a scenario as the one portrayed in this show... if all parties involved can deal with it, what's so bad with a good friendship going on compared to the potential destruction outspoken but unrequited love can cause to it? And while it isn't particularly well portrayed in this particular show; the main theme for the two main characters in the lovestory is clearly that they CAN'T tell each other - for rather badly explained reasons - but one of the most common one would most likely be the fear of ruining an important friendship. So why are you all craving for and valuing romantic emotions so clearly over platonic ones?

Sometimes I really don't get it - this show is clearly not a masterpiece in my book - but I'd say it was one of the more touching interpretations of the topic despite its timid expression. It's slow - it's melancholic - and in the league it's playing it surely is a congruent and consistent theme throughout the whole show (if we put aside the at times over-the-top comedic-relief scenes that is.) It would pretty much ruin the theme and vibe of 99% of the product if they went for another ending - so kudos to the author and director for not making such a (sadly; widespread) beginner-mistake!
Jul 2, 2023 6:16 AM
Sep 2021
Sure after watching 13 episodes the ending is abrupt and leaves you wondering what next… But it’s actually brilliant, the sunset, the finally answered call, the silence on the other end of the line, the panicked explanations as to why she couldn’t call back… can you hear me??? “Yes I can her you clearly now” 💕 was really beautiful conveying that she finally understands her friends feelings. Even with a second season what will it achieve apart from adding all other tropes, you will be just stepping back into the thorns 🥀 
Jan 31, 1:34 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to Waveshaper
Every time again, it baffles me how so many people are unable to actually understand how to write - and end - a story and are expecting cheap Hollywood happy endings from manga & anime as well.
The ending in the anime reflects the setting and message of the story perfectly - for those who missed the point; this show wasn't a shounen series building on the tropes of overcoming ones weakness in the pursuite of defeating some eternal evil.

Of course as always, most aspects in literature and storytelling are subjective and taste & opinions differ - but that doesn't apply to every single aspect - there are some more objective truths in stortelling that are building some sort of 'standard' how to write a good story - rules which are important in regards to art-expression & craftmanship in general. In this particular case the message of the show was hardly hidden or obfuscated - and the ending was pretty much the most believable. People tend to overlook this aspects, since cheaply produced media taught us that stereotypical narratives of the extremes have way more short-term impact than actual believeable developments and in reality inter-social relationships don't tend to work in the way that they build themselves up first, just to escalate at one point while leading to a clear defined dramatic or happy end that brings full closure and resolution. That's just not how reality works - but especially western media and Hollywood did a great job teaching people to expect such questionable endings to a story.

It's surely not that I don't get it - many shoujo ai dramas tend to work with such clean-cut black and white narratives as well - so one might expect them everywhere sind we're used to them - but with how the show portrayed the main characters and their development, the ending makes simply absolute sense. What would be the other options? After being good friends for such a long time, one confesses their romantic feelings for the other and it either ends in them living happily ever after? From an realism-standpoint it could also end in a complete desaster with their friendship breaking completely - that WOULD be a common option for sure, but why are YOU as viewer/reader actually calling for some trite and stereotypical ending used in every other shoujo ai story anyways? Why would YOU actually want the story already told a thousand times instead of something 'believeable'? (can't call it a novum - because endings like this are also rather common to be honest...)

I frustrates me quite a lot how few people actually can deal with open endings in drama shows - and I wouldn't be surprised if the people complaining are actually the very same people liking typical tele-novelas and similar stuff - narratives that are basically the embodiment of open endings...

Usually you find people misinterpreting unresolved romance in those shows as something negative - completely missing the point that an open ending is at least not a tragic one and that the hypothetical life of the characters doesn't end with the end of the narration. So while the ending is open - it actually leaves more than enough room for a potential/hypothetical happy ending outside the scope of the actual narration. And lets be completely real here... in regards to a scenario as the one portrayed in this show... if all parties involved can deal with it, what's so bad with a good friendship going on compared to the potential destruction outspoken but unrequited love can cause to it? And while it isn't particularly well portrayed in this particular show; the main theme for the two main characters in the lovestory is clearly that they CAN'T tell each other - for rather badly explained reasons - but one of the most common one would most likely be the fear of ruining an important friendship. So why are you all craving for and valuing romantic emotions so clearly over platonic ones?

Sometimes I really don't get it - this show is clearly not a masterpiece in my book - but I'd say it was one of the more touching interpretations of the topic despite its timid expression. It's slow - it's melancholic - and in the league it's playing it surely is a congruent and consistent theme throughout the whole show (if we put aside the at times over-the-top comedic-relief scenes that is.) It would pretty much ruin the theme and vibe of 99% of the product if they went for another ending - so kudos to the author and director for not making such a (sadly; widespread) beginner-mistake!
@Waveshaper

You really wrote this whole ass thesis in a vain attempt to flex on happy endings and the supposedly ignorant masses who prefer them, while conveniently ignoring a very simple fact:

Sasameki Koto is just another unfinished manga-to-anime adaptation and its source material does not actually end at the same point, in fact the story keeps going. The studio just couldn't be fucked to give it a second season, or the anime was only intended as an advertisement in the first place, as is often the case.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DarcyD - Dec 30, 2009

127 by euls »»
Apr 14, 12:16 AM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 4 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Oct 28, 2009

45 by Destroyer31 »»
Jun 2, 2023 9:26 AM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 12 Discussion

Proselyt - Dec 23, 2009

31 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 11, 2022 8:46 PM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HawthorneKitty - Dec 16, 2009

58 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 11, 2022 8:17 PM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 10 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Dec 9, 2009

38 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 11, 2022 7:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.