Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 6, 2013 8:37 PM

Nov 2009
Well I might as well be the person to make the topic.

I played the VN about a year and a half ago and I absolutely adored it. Sure the character routes on some of the plots were a bit average but I always felt that the humour and character development throughout the common route made the game so interesting to play. Simply put the whole character route and common route really is just a big lump of character development to allow "dem feels" to come out in full force for Refrain. It succeeded wonderfully in that regard as it's one of the most popular VN's of all time and arguably the best VN Key has ever written.

Then we come on to the adaption, I'm not going to hate on the fact it was J.C Staff that was tasked with adapting what was a daunting task. However what I will rag on a little bit is the seeming lack of a budget for what would clearly be a hot selling anime for them. We have all seen that J.C Staff can put really nice animation on some of their higher end series' (Shana, Index etc.) but it seemed like a fraction of that budget was spent on animating this. What is curious is that Sakurasou, another J.C project of the same length airing at the same time seemed to have a much better animation quality throughout. It's not like there was more action in it so it was justified to need a bigger budget. If anything I'd say the plot for Little Busters has more.

In my opinion, most of the character routes were average to begin with but the anime made them worse. With the exception of maybe Haruka's route which was a pretty decent one. I'm sure there will be people that disagree but all in I was very disappointed in Mio's, Komari's and especially Kud's route adaptions. Something just felt off in them throughout and it was unable to really invoke any emotion from me. Key story writing can generally get something out of me...hell I bawled my eyes out on a couple of occasions on Kanon 2006 but I just didnt get into it at all. The comedy for common route sections was pretty decent but I didn't feel it to be a good sign that I would be relieved a character route would end so we could get back on the common route.

The Refrain trailer at the end gives me some hope but I suspect that the budget for it will not increase too much. I would hope that the BD sales would maybe influence them otherwise but it seems unlikely. Refrain is the best thing I have ever read in a visual novel so I suppose it's wishful thinking to hope it will practically adapt itself as it's more of a linear story so there are less things that J.C Staff can miss out on animating.

So, in my own opinion. Little Busters was decent but I like many other VN players was expecting so much more from this.

How about the rest of you? I'll be interested in hearing what people who havent played the VN have to say about the series.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 6, 2013 8:44 PM
Aug 2012
I absolutely LOVED this anime. Sure first couple of eps were pretty boring and animation sucked, but after about episode 7, it got way better. I looked forward every week for a new episode. I've never been more excited while watching a anime. As for the low budget, blame Warner Bros, not JC Staff.

BTW I'm an anime only watcher.
Apr 6, 2013 9:04 PM

Oct 2010
I wound up finished Little Busters about 2-3 weeks the anime started airing, so both are pretty fresh in my mind. With other Key adaptations, the animes were done very well, and things didn't really feel rushed. But with Little Busters, everything was so rushed especially the character routes. It felt as though JC Staff didn't get the concept of the VN Little Busters as they just rushed everything into one go-through.

With JC Staff taking away that, they have completely destroyed the purpose of Season 1 of Little Busters. This is a difficult thing to animate, with all the tricks and the storyline in all, but i can't help at look at series such as Higurashi or Yosuga No Sora. They had no problems with

and it even helped them stand out. All in all: 6/10

don't get me wrong though, I'm still gonna buy the dvd. And i'm defintly looking forward to the best part: Refrain. God, i'll need tissues. ;)
Apr 6, 2013 9:14 PM

Nov 2009
I thought the anime was pretty good. I've only played through part of the common route, but seeing those scenes that I had played through be animated, was a lot of fun.

The biggest problem that I had with the adaptation is the flow of the series and the girls' routes. I was really disappointed with Komari's route (especially since she's my 2nd favorite girl) and I don't think it had to do with the route itself. It came way too early. The only other route that I had a problem with was Kud's, and that had to do with the original story itself, I think. I had spoiled myself and already had it in my mind that Kud's route would be a bit too... out there for me to enjoy. Mio's and Haruka's routes were good, but they just... didn't leave a lasting impression on me. In other Key adaptations (and I know I shouldn't compare, but I'm going to anyway), all of the girls' routes were very memorable to me and had a lasting impact on me. The routes in Little Busters didn't do that. I don't know if it's the original material or the adaptation itself. I do feel that the girls' routes were too short though, and I wish that they were eased in and out of better; the flow of the show felt kind of chopped up and rushed to me.

Other than that, I like the adaptation. I love the characters; particularly the original Little Busters, Komari, and Kurugaya. I feel like I can relate to them. I'll be graduating in June, and all I can think about is how my friends and I will all have to go our separate ways.

Anyway, I'm really excited for Refrain. Even though I already know what happens (I spoiled myself a long time ago, because I couldn't wait for the patch to get completed, and now I wish I hadn't >.<). Hopefully JC Staff does well in adapting it.

What "Adolescence" do you have?
Do you remember "Childhood"?
The irreplaceable one existed there.

Apr 6, 2013 9:21 PM

Dec 2009
I never played the VN. Its not so great but it is enjoyable in some parts, mostly for the cute characters. ^^

I don't hate it or anything but... its not that great either ><
Not in the level of Clannad or Angel Beats!, or Kanon.

I still like it though.
Apr 6, 2013 9:25 PM
Mar 2010
Honestly the anime could only be enjoyed if you played the VN imo. The routes were average and all mixed up with no clear purpose. My only hope is that they cut the budget for this first season so they can make Refrain "after story" quality if not better.
Apr 6, 2013 9:32 PM
Aug 2011
As an anime-only viewer I thought it was excruciatingly below average and boring.
BTW when I say that i'm not factoring in the low budget, I can look past that.

I liked the friendship theme but I honestly didn't care for any of the characters.
Everyone (except Kyousuke) comes off as very one dimensional.
I hate typing that but I can't find another word for it tbh, and I wouldn't mind except this is the bland kind of one dimensional.

-Rikki, the nice boy, yeah he's nice and he's nice?.
-Kud the cute little girl who says WAFU a lot.
-That one guy who talks nothing about muscles and that's it.
You know, things like that.
Like I said, Kyousuke, is the only one i'm compelled to learn more about since he's the only one "mysterious" one.

As for the dramatic moments, I mostly felt indifferent about them. Mostly because those moments were delivered by these characters.

Okay I don't want to go there but even the first season of Clannad (which I thought was average also) made me tear up here and there. So I doubt i'm that cold-hearted.

So yeah I pretty much watched for Refrain.
I have a vague idea of that might happen there but my interest has slowly been killed as I watched this first part.

If you're a fan that's cool, more power to you, you had the chance to experience this in two mediums.
standApr 6, 2013 9:38 PM
Apr 6, 2013 10:01 PM

Sep 2012

This promotional video got me into playing the visual novel. When I watched it I immediately fell in love with LB.(music and character intros) I thought the animation in that was very good and they should have kept that art style but Mr president sort of hyped it up announcing that the anime will have better animation lol.

Apart from the animation, the main problems I had with the anime was the direction and music direction. Some scenes were delivered very awkwardly especially the comedy which at times are slow and exaggerated. I remember laughing out loud many times while playing the VN but it was during the events in the common routes which were not added into the anime for reasons I do not understand ( Rin's missions and Haruka doodling on Komari's face---> LMAO moment for me )

The routes were alright. I thought Mio's route had the perfect amount of drama but Haruka should have had 4 episodes since her route had the most lines and foreshadowing and they should have kept Kud's route to 3 episodes since I felt it kind of dragged on a bit too long.

In the end the adaption was okay but I can see why a lot of people hate on it. However I'm bias to anything LB related so I can say that I'm glad the adaption was made.
Apr 6, 2013 10:29 PM

Sep 2012
Mmm trying not to waste my time posting too much.
Main problem with the Little Busters is having feels for the characters.
The original VN is a nakige, and it does a good job at that. It just doesn't transition to the anime without the proper time and development given to the characters.
The characters aren't extremely deep, but their dramatic route pacing is easily on par with many other dramatic anime and VNs.

With time amount of time it was given, it was a faithful adaptation any VN player will have...
But seriously, getting an audience to have feels for several different characters in a 26 episode anime that's trying to cater to the source material's audience just didn't work out I guess.

Still, those of us who played the VN before watching it, and got to see all the intimacy and realistic relationships between the characters for >50 hours, and then watched the anime, we got a treat.

I commend JC Staff for meeting my expectations as a VN player.
Everyone I know who played the VN before reading the VN was pretty satisfied with the anime as a supplement to the visual novel, but I'm afraid that's what the season turned out to be.

I wish Little Busters could've worked as a standalone anime, but the visual novel tries to manage too many things: daily slice of life, character depth, dramatic routes for each heroine that are essential to the plot, character growth for Riki and Rin, all while maintaining and underlying focus regarding the Secret of the World.

I still enjoyed it immensely despite animation flaws, and I'll enjoy the next season along with those who took the first season sincerely, and those who read the VN.
The characters feel as real to me as the most developed anime characters I've seen, after playing the VN.
Apr 6, 2013 10:33 PM

Jun 2012
After seeing the entire first season I have to say that it isn't something I'm going to watch again. I enjoyed watching it and I'll miss these days of coming on to the forums to discuss the newest episode with everyone and looking forward to the next episode but it's something I don't see myself watching again, at least until I forget about it.

All in all I'd say this is a 6.5 out of 10. The music placement was never good, the character designs were bad (mainly the eyes and hair) and the animation in the first thirteen episodes was pitiful. It did get better in the second thirteen episodes but like we saw in the penultimate episode when the girl fell off the roof, J.C. Staff simply can't do some things right.

Still, they adapted the story itself fairly well although I would've gone a few things different. Mainly I wouldn't have dedicated an episode to the kitchen thing or an entire episode to finding a roommate for Kud, but the routes (the most important part) were fine. They lacked the feeling and emotion that they had in the visual novel (except Kud and Haruka's, those were good) but in general I had fun watching them.

The final episode could've had a bit more emphasis on the game and less on the talking before it, but since that would've required more animation than they've had in an episode I can see why they gave us what they gave us.

All in all just seeing the show animated was fun and for that, I give it a 6.5 out of 10 (7 on here since they don't do have increments on MAL). What I'll miss most is, again, seeing everyone here and talking about the show.

Seriously, I'm going to miss you guys. =(
Apr 6, 2013 10:34 PM

Aug 2012
I don't have the patience to argue on something I'm not strongly opinionated on, so I'll just leave it in a spoiler.

Apr 7, 2013 12:38 AM

Feb 2013
I'll just be short and leave my small opinion here.

Basically I thought the adaptation as a whole was pretty good. For the budget, JC Staff did a good job, the adaptation was overall pretty faithful and satisfied me as a VN reader. The biggest issue I had was just some animation consistency issues and music placement in some episodes.

I could complain about how it felt condensed but that's just a bad argument given that there were only 26 episodes and that it was given that it would need to be shortened due to budget and TV airing constraints.

I can see what people are saying from an anime only perspective that the story is kind of meh and it probably is. If people recall S1 of Clannad where basically nothing happened, although it may be worse in LB because no relationships actually start. To be fair though, the meat of the story was in Refrain, and without it, I doubt the VN would have been anywhere near as good as it is. All I can say is that I'm overall satisfied with JC Staff's work and thought it was generally pretty good.
Part of Refrain Subs for Little Busters!: Refrain
Recently Played/Read VNS (Most Recent to Oldest):
- Da Capo
- Grisaia no Kajitsu
- ef - a fairy tale of the two
- G-senjou no Maou
- Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo & Sharin no Kuni, Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo (Fan Disk)
- Rewrite
- Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a shooting star-
- Clannad
- Little Busters EX!
Apr 7, 2013 12:44 AM

Sep 2012
All in all, I gave this series an 8. To put this in perspective, this places LB on par with Kanon (KyoAni), Kamisama no Memochou and AnoNatsu, lower than Clannad, lower than AnoHana, higher than Air.

For me, and 8 means solidly enjoyable. And that is what I think of LB. It is not a masterpiece, it is not somethink you HAVE to recommend to your friends. It is a show that is worth a go, and by the end of it, you will say "Well, that was pretty good."

JC did not do the best job, but what I will say is that they definitely showed that they are capable of adapting a Key VN like LB.

Of course, a series is only as good as the whole story, and I'm going to go ahead and say LB will be viewed more positively once Refrain comes out (kinda like Clannad), but for now LB gets an 8.

And until Refrain comes around, I won't be frequenting these forums at all. From the semi-flame wars that erupt to the rage about the music to the discussion on the feels to the VN readers' forbidden boxes of knowledge (spoiler tags), I'm going to miss it all for quite some time. TT~TT

I'll be seeing you guys again for Refrain though!
SleepingEntityApr 7, 2013 12:56 AM
Apr 7, 2013 12:55 AM

Dec 2011
Was halfway decent.
Apr 7, 2013 12:57 AM

Sep 2011
I gave it a 9 (Originally a 10), of course this isn't what I actually think the score should be..I just like to Fanboy Key Series<3. I did the same thing with Air. Clannad, Kanon, Angel Beats deserved the scores I gave them being 9/10 though.

I think JC staff did a good job on adapting the series. I mean it's hard to adapt LB more so than Clannad, that's like a walk in the park because its so straightforward, but LB is different and you gotta account all the things in it (won't go into detail as it would spoil shit). Generally Clannad had a better set up before After story took place which is why more people enjoyed it.

If I wasn't fanboying my score would be a 7-7.5
Apr 7, 2013 3:45 AM

Jul 2012
7/10 for me. I did like it but, I'm not completely satisfied with this adaptation. The first half of the series was pretty bad and the pacing felt kind of weird, not to mention Komari's route (which was one of my favorite in the visual novel) was butchered...
I guess I enjoyed the series simply because, well, it was Little Busters! :P If I hadn't played the VN/hadn't known it was from Key I probably would've dropped it to be honest.
The last few episodes were great though, they restored my fate in this adaptation. I appreciated all the foreshadowing and especially the development of Rin/Komari's friendship <3
Now is all about Refrain!!
Apr 7, 2013 4:28 AM

Oct 2011
I didn't understood that fear of JC Staff doing it - for me it's a very good studio (Azumanga, Nodame Cantabile, Honey and Clover) so there was hope for how they will do it.
In terms of visuals and music there were some things that might be improved/changed, but taking into acount their best people were working on Sakurasou and probably budget they were given wasn't too big it was good enough.

As of story... it felt that more time is given to Komari (outside of her route) and since I'm fan of hers it was great. Especially her relationship with Rin was well done, it can even remove one of flaws of VN for me.
Rest of them felt from time to time rushed, some parts were skiped. Never felt that they cut something really important, so no complain here - and even if I would address them to Key as they were doing it.

In the end it's 8/10 and for sure my fav adaptation of Key VN. I didn't like main character in Clannad (not to mention his best friend), Air was a mess and I dropped Kanon on first episode (those faces were scary).
Apr 7, 2013 4:52 AM

Apr 2013
1/10 I don't see why would it deserve more than that.
Apr 7, 2013 4:54 AM

May 2010
I think they did a pretty good job..considering adapting a visual novel is very difficult esp..when it comes to something grand like little busters..
Apr 7, 2013 5:14 AM
Nov 2011
All the heroine's stories had to be shown to be able to continue the coherent plot of Little Busters, but the heroines stories diverge too much from the plot making it seem impossible to tell the story without flaws in it's one-way storytelling. The heroines stories had to be told completely though, were important and was needed to be shown to continue plot.

Following this mindset, I loved the adaption enough to give it a high score.

Clannad was easy to adapt since they could just go straight into Nagisa's route, along with the other heroine's stories as a sidedish. The other heroine's stories were told but they did not go as in-depth as you think they did.
QuixotisApr 7, 2013 5:19 AM
Apr 7, 2013 8:15 AM

Jan 2013
Guess it's time to post a wall of text again. Man, it's been a while since the last time I've done that...

First off: The Little Busters! Visual Novel is my favorite game. And it's only about half a year ago that I started playing visual novels.
The visual novel is absolutely fantastic, godlike even. The story is amazing, the characters are very likable and the amount of feels and drama in most routes are far beyond what I thought was possible. The music is also top-notch. As expected of KEY's greatest work, or so I'd like to say. Unfortunately, I can't, since it actually surpassed all my expectations by far.

So let's be honest: Making an anime adaption that does justice to this outstanding and complex game is pretty much impossible unless you procure a high budget, get together a team of elites and have Jun Maeda-dono personally assume the director's position.

That being said, let's get to the actual topic: The Little Busters! Anime
The adaptioin by J.C.Staff certainly lacked in certain areas: The high pacing spoiled parts of certain routes, art and budget seemed below average and if the sound director lost one drop of blood for every bad comment about sound placement, he would have died many many times over. Also, the first season excluded what would be pretty much the whole point of all galge: romance.

J.C.Staff decided to picture the friendship theme rather than the romance one. They remained faithful to the VN, yet at this particular topic, they chose a different path. And guess what? Even though I'd actually appreciate some Clannad-type side route romance, I'm very thankfull to J.C. for not simply copy-pasting the VN. In order to cope with the changes that were required due to the friendship theme and high pacing, alterations have been made and Anime-only scenes were included. I dare say those were pretty well-made.
Kanata's character acquired more depth and was easier to symphathize with.
Komari's role as Rin's best friend was made clear.
Rin's character development as she gave her best to help the people around her was also pointed out more so than in the VN.
Also, the foreshadowing of the secret of the world was decent as well, despite having used different methods.

I really enjoyed most of the episodes. The voice actors did a great job. The feels were delivered (haruka route ranked top in that department) despite pacing issues. The friendship theme was pictured well. The important common route episodes were included to that way and although many anime-only viewers would saw them as rather pointless, they were, in fact, not.

Overall, it was a wonderful adaption. Far from perfect, not exactly top-tier, yet still wonderful, especially if you take into account the challenges this adaption has posed.

I fell that there's more I wish to say about the anime but it currently escapes me. I guess I'll have to end this post for now and edit it once I remember what else I wanted to add.
Apr 7, 2013 3:16 PM

Jul 2010
Pretty good, and even pretty logical adaptation so far. I like how they arranged events from various routes, not missing almost anything.
Apr 7, 2013 3:24 PM

Jan 2012
The heroine routes could have been executed better, but admittedly the heroine routes in the VN were pretty mediocre to begin with. I did like Mio's though and Haruka's

Common route shenanigans were pretty hit and miss, but I enjoyed them for the most part. Watching Masato's antics animated is always a treat.

Animation and art was lackluster, but it had its moments.

Rin is lovely.

I hate Riki's eyes. HATE THEM!

All in all, a mediocre adaption that could have been handled better. Hopefully Refrain will be better adapted.
ApplesJul 14, 2015 9:18 PM
Apr 7, 2013 7:47 PM

Oct 2011
Although the anime was not as great as i had hoped it to be there is still hope. All in all, as an anime, i really did enjoy it. This is one of the weekly things that i really looked forward to, even though I've played the VN and know pretty much exactly what is to come, i still waited anxiously anticipating how they are going to deliver it to us.
I am so pumped and ready for Season 2, SO PUMPED THAT I AM WILLING TO WAIT A YEAR OR 2 SO THEY CAN DO IT RIGHT! YEAAA
WHOSE WITH ME!!!!!!!
Apr 7, 2013 8:18 PM

Jun 2009
As an anime only viewer

I think that it was decent, had it's highs and lows, but overall, it's pretty alright.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2013 12:16 AM

May 2008
I fell as thought I should address a little bit about how I felt watching Little Busters!, and well I really enjoyed it. Yeah really did.

I know that there were issues like the animation, sure its not perfect but it wasn't that bad at all. There were times when I felt it looked really good. In fact the only time I felt the animation looked iffy was in episode 7, other than that all the other episodes looked quite good to really good. At least for me.

However what I really liked most about this series were the Little Busters! themselves. I just straight out love these characters, it always gave me a big smile on my face seeing them together and care of one another. They are just great friends to count on and in my opinion JC did a good job portraying that.

So in the end I really enjoyed Little Busters! but I don't want to give it a score, at least not yet. Not until Refrain comes out since it will ultimately effected my final opinion and score for this season.
Apr 8, 2013 1:23 AM

May 2011
I really liked how Haruka's and Mio's routes were adapted in the anime, not that bad at all. I liked the first two episodes of Komari's arc, but it kinda lost me on the third. And my biggest disappointment is, without a doubt, Kud's route adaption. With me being a huge fanboy of her route in the VN, I was incredibly disappointed with the adaption of it. Kud's route had some of the best feels out of the five heroine routes, and the romance was fantastic. Since it didn't really have anything else worth talking about, having those two aspects removed in the anime turned it into something dull and uneventful. But that's my main gripe with the adaption. Also didn't like how inconsistent they were overall.

I think J.C. Staff did a decent job adapting this, but they certainly could have done better. Plus, it doesn't really help that Maeda Jun's writing in Refrain is the only thing that made Little Busters great, the character routes aren't nearly as good.

So all it really comes down to now is how J.C. Staff adapts Refrain. They have more than enough potential as they have shown in previous hits. Assuming they don't fuck it up, the sequel should be a masterpiece.
Apr 8, 2013 3:57 AM

Aug 2011
I have played the VN just before the anime started and I have to say that the JC Staff's adaption to this show was pretty good in the end.

They started somewhat bad, with Komari and Mio's route rushed and major pacing problems, and some parts were left out, but not important ones. As they pretty much focused on the friendship rather than romance, I can see why they would leave those out. They also had some trouble with placing some soundtracks throughout the show, and I would find the soundtrack that would fit being played in Mio's arc in a scene Haruka is in, and other similar situations. The opening could also ruin some scenes when played right after a sad one and suddenly the opening would play and ruin that moment and somewhat feel anti climatic at times, but it wasn't much of a big deal. The one thing that really annoyed me at times were those close-up-to-the-ass-spandex-shots. Forced fan service much? But these things got slowly better and at the end they pulled off a decent adaption to this show, though I would recommend the VN before the anime any day.

JC Staff also did some good stuff as well, like Haruka's route, which was the best one animated in the anime, was well done and could arguably be better than it was in the VN, without the romance of course. Kud's route was pretty good as well, but suffered a bit from pacing issues, but was good overall. They also included Kanata more in with the Ltitle Busters after Haruka's route and made us like her more than she was in the VN, where she was mostly hated for her action towards Haruka for their family dispute, Mio were also way more funnier in this adaption than she was in the VN, where I found her to be pretty boring at times, but pulled off some decent jokes, but in the adaption, I felt we saw a better side of her with more comedy to it, and I personally enjoyed it.

When it comes to foreshadowing, they did an good job on that. Giving us hints of what to expect and from what I have seen, it does a good job making the audience thin of what to expect, and animating Rin2 and Refrain should pretty much be straightforward, maybe they will exceed our expectation, which I thoroughly hope. From having read the blog where the cast said their views on this show after the final episode, and it seems they are just excited as we are to Refrain and what to expect.

Taking everything to consideration, it was a good adaption. It wasn't butchered as I first thought after seeing Komari and Mio's arc, and they slowly got better throughout the show, and gave it a worthy farewell to the first season with the baseball game.

My hopes for Refrain is obviously high, as I felt that it was the core of the Little Busters itself. This one is pretty much straightforward and I hope JC Staff won't mess this one up, or I will rage. Alot. The teaser did a fine job telling us what to expect in the next and final season of LB.

I personally gave it a 8/10, and if Refrain is done perfectly, it could be my next 10 on my list. JC Staff: It slowly gets better.
Apr 8, 2013 9:35 AM

Aug 2011
The anime was not bad. although it wasn't anything special. not what it could have been.

sadly, the worst part about the anime is the art/animation/sound direction. which JC staff was in charge of. i'm not going to say that refrain is the only reason you should be playing/watching little busters. the common route was incredibly enjoyable and got me real attached to the characters.

the anime turned the first part of the game from an 8/10 to a 7/10. which isnt too bad but considering the episode pattern in the first season i can assume that refrain being a 10/10 in my book will drop to a 9/10. :(

for me i feel like an anime is something that should bring life to a static medium. something that this adaption didn't do very well, while something like Clannad honestly improved in almost every way in the anime. (besides the cut routes, the execution was amazing. Better than the visual novel)

anyways props to michiru shimada for the script work. (except harukas route)
TL & founder of Refrain Subs.
Apr 8, 2013 1:40 PM

Dec 2012
Funya-Usagi said:
The anime was not bad. although it wasn't anything special. not what it could have been.

sadly, the worst part about the anime is the art/animation/sound direction. which JC staff was in charge of. i'm not going to say that refrain is the only reason you should be playing/watching little busters. the common route was incredibly enjoyable and got me real attached to the characters.

the anime turned the first part of the game from an 8/10 to a 7/10. which isnt too bad but considering the episode pattern in the first season i can assume that refrain being a 10/10 in my book will drop to a 9/10. :(

for me i feel like an anime is something that should bring life to a static medium. something that this adaption didn't do very well, while something like Clannad honestly improved in almost every way in the anime. (besides the cut routes, the execution was amazing. Better than the visual novel)

anyways props to michiru shimada for the script work. (except harukas route)

I can somewhat see where you're coming from, but I personally that the Clannad anime had worse writing than Little Busters. They didn't adapt dialogue that well in Clannad (especially some of the earlier episodes. Some of the dialogue in that is actually cringe worthy for me). But it certainly did have better animation and sound direction. I think that sort of balances them out a little.

Also, Michida didn't do all of the script work. He only wrote 23 episodes. He wrote episodes 1-10, 12-14, 16-19, 21-26. The funny thing is, the episodes with the worst reception were the ones not written by him lol.

I guess I'll put my impressions into this post too.

So although I had quite a few problems with this anime like the bad sound direction and the bad animation (that scene with Rin and the cats in episode 9 will for ever be engraved into my mind so I can face-palm over it whenever the chance is given), I actually heavily enjoyed and I think they done very well with adapting it. The visual novel was very difficult to adapt and I think they dealt with the "secret of the world" hints almost perfectly. I felt that they captured the characters almost exactly how they were in the VN (except maybe Rin. She felt a little nicer and not as much of a tsundere in the anime). I'd have to say that my favourite route had to be Mio's. I feel the way they used it as the route to develop Riki as a protagonist and help the viewer feel attached to him was very smart and I'm also a huge sucker for symbolism and I think they captured that side of Mio's route perfectly in the anime.

Overall, great anime thus far, if they do Refrain right, this will become my number one anime (it used to be Clannad: After Story, but after I beat the LB VN, I knew that the possibility of that changing would be VERY high indeed).

I couldn't care less if people hate this anime and call it terrible. I can see the good sides, I can enjoy it, so that's all that matters to me!

Little Busters! SAIKO!!
Apr 8, 2013 7:11 PM

Dec 2011
Pretty solid overall.
Apr 9, 2013 10:56 PM

Mar 2011
they missed the cue on some key emotional parts, but i otherwise feel like they did a good enough job. Mio's route was the only one that felt like it was done right to me, though.
Apr 10, 2013 1:18 AM

Aug 2011
to be honest though, who else thinks that the score would be considerably higher if the art was done by kyoani?

this people on this site are pretty biased when it comes to pretty art.

i don't even think refrain is going to beat kanon (8.42) in ratings based on that pv.

"called game" in the pv was not convincing in the slightest. the camera angle kinda ruined it.
Funya-UsagiApr 10, 2013 1:23 AM
TL & founder of Refrain Subs.
Apr 10, 2013 1:45 AM

Jan 2013
Funya-Usagi said:
to be honest though, who else thinks that the score would be considerably higher if the art was done by kyoani?

this people on this site are pretty biased when it comes to pretty art.

i don't even think refrain is going to beat kanon (8.42) in ratings based on that pv.

"called game" in the pv was not convincing in the slightest. the camera angle kinda ruined it.

Nah, it's just a pv. Remember how they changed certain scenes and made them different from the flashback/foreshadowing? (the haruka scene didn't even occur at all)
So there's still hope ^^
Apr 10, 2013 1:50 AM

Mar 2012
Refrain will get more than 8.50 I think. The content is just too powerfull to be breaked by just poor animation alone.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 10, 2013 3:37 AM

Sep 2012
Indeed.
I'm just remembering Steins;Gate's MAL score, and how it has a 7.9 until the climax hit, before it gained the anime watchers' overall approval. It had great animation and was a good adaptation in the first 11 episodes, but episode 12 invoked all the character development and subtle plot development into the climax and plot twisting second half of the show.

I think Refrain could still accomplish this, and can change peoples' opinions about the relevance and importance of the previous routes.

I just hope Warner gives it a sexier budget, considering how well it sold, and how much more important part 2 is. A new director and sound director would be nice too, but the script overall has been good for how much it has compressed within 26 episodes.
Apr 10, 2013 8:06 AM
Jan 2013
I finished playing the VN a few weeks before the anime finished, which I then marathon-ed.

I think it was a pretty solid adaption. The first maybe 10-ish episodes were executed rather clumsily I think but after that the got better.

I really, really, really hope that the animation is improved for Refrain.

Also, I enjoyed some of the changes they did, like clearly showing Rin and Komari's friendship but on the other hand I felt that Haruka's route didn't feel as intense as it did in the VN

However, I think some of the foreshadowing they did was a little bit confusing to me as a VN player because I think they might have changed the setting a little.

All in all, I think JC Staff did a solid job adapting maybe one of the most difficult VNs to adapt and I'm really looking forward to Refrain

For some reason, words aren't working right for me as I write this
Apr 16, 2013 9:47 PM
Apr 2012
Its inferior to all key's past VN adaptations except Maybe kanon 2002.

This is the perfect description of it on Wikipedia:

In a review of the first six episodes of the anime adaptation, Carl Kimlinger of Anime News Network gave Little Busters! a C rating overall, criticizing its overuse of the "same gags over and over again, with predictably diminishing returns." He praised the "guy-to-girl ratio" compared to other series made by Key, but notes that Riki is a "bland main character." Kimlinger panned J.C.Staff's "unexciting professionalism" and for "animation that is only good enough to avoid looking cheap."
flackApr 16, 2013 10:00 PM
Apr 19, 2013 3:58 AM

Sep 2012
If there is one thing I've learnt after watching LB!, it is to never trust the pvs they dish out. They are either out of context or will be executed a lot more differently than the actual show.
Man the 'called game' in the VN is much more climatic.
Apr 21, 2013 12:09 PM

Sep 2012
flack said:

In a review of the first six episodes of the anime adaptation, Carl Kimlinger of Anime News Network gave Little Busters! a C rating overall, criticizing its overuse of the "same gags over and over again, with predictably diminishing returns." He praised the "guy-to-girl ratio" compared to other series made by Key, but notes that Riki is a "bland main character." Kimlinger panned J.C.Staff's "unexciting professionalism" and for "animation that is only good enough to avoid looking cheap."

Lol, reviewing the first 6 episodes of a story and using that as an argument.
Let's see...
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Steins;Gate Now
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Steins;Gate" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20110524065231/http://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Steins;Gate Back then.

http://vndb.org/v93 Rank 326
http://vndb.org/v92 Rank 1, explaining the previous title of a concurrent story

Some stories can be judged by the watching 15% of the story, but with VNs and these slow developing stories, I can't see that as logical at all.
Apr 22, 2013 4:05 AM

Sep 2011
flack said:

Please no one takes ANN Reviews seriously. They rate Aku no Hana a masterpiece and other gorgeous adaptations into shit. They need to stay a NEWS site and keep their reviews to themselves because they're shit at it.
Apr 30, 2013 1:32 AM

Sep 2011
No, the anime adaption was no where near the visual novel. Sorry for being a spoil sport, but I guess I was just too disappointed on how they depicted the story. The most important part for the girls was properly shown, but Riki's wasn't. OKAY! not really too sure, but from my experience, Key's works were always best at romance. And not "friendship drama romance", its more of "intimate romance". Little Busters' theme was friendship, but at the same time, it was romance, why the heck did JC staff forget to add the romance part? Don't get me wrong, I love JC Staff, and I'm a fan of every work, but sh3t the adaption was not satisfactory. The anime was good and probably epic if you've only seen the anime, but People who've played the novel would understand that they missed a lot of important details. I'll point out the unnecessary changes, on every single girl's route, Riki had a special role. In the anime, only Komari and Nishizono's routes were properly shown with Riki having a proper important role. I'll give an example: In the Visual Novel, Riki did all the work during Haruka's route. The Little Busters was just a side note. In fact, the other members was not even important, all that was really important was Riki. The best route for me was Haruka's route, and YET THE ANIME F*CKED IT UP FOR ME!
WHY? Haruka's reason was Riki. Haruka found a reason to live in Riki, the anime did not show that and went directly to Futaki. Darn it, the anime ruined it for me. Haaah. An important note for people who've played the Visual novel before watching the anime. Try not to remember the original story and think that the anime is a completely different story. You'd appreciate it more if you do. The reason I didn't like the anime wasn't because the story wasn't good, it was because it betrayed my expectations when I compared both anime and Novel.

Honestly, I'd give the anime a 9/10 if it was faithful to the visual novel's romance. I could care less if they weren't very faithful on the visual novel's original storyl so long as they kept the "Key magic romance" intact. Unfortunately it wasn't so I'll give it a 6.5/10 or a 7/10. I find no reason as to why it'd go beyond that. I can only hope that the second season won't be as bad. This anime's best salvation would be Rin's route since its the only route so far they haven't messed up (Kurugaya's route is something I'm very much hyped about, and I hope they don't forget to add the romance since for once, this heroine, Kurugaya wasn't all concerned about the Little Busters and was focused on Riki. From what I remember, the entire purpose of the route was because Kurugaya had a thing for Riki. If JC Staff decides to turn that backwards again like in Haruka's route, I'm gonna flame again) I can only guess that the anime is going for a good finale with Rin, so they better give her some romance and not give her the Imouto character ending. BTW, try not to flame too much on what I said, I'm pretty sure what I said is very controversial, but it s mainly because I found the anime lacking. I appreciate the staff's efforts on giving a different feeling to the story and not copying every single letter from the novel, but I'd prefer romance over friendship drama if its a Key Visual Novel piece. I'm a fan of the usual friendship drama, but Key's works specializes in romance, so if you remove that from the picture, I find no meaning as to how it'd go beyond the original story.
Naoe-RikiApr 30, 2013 1:49 AM
There comes a time when you need to become stronger and finally move forward from playing like a child, to strong adult

Apr 30, 2013 2:30 AM

Dec 2011
Naoe-Riki said:
why the heck did JC staff forget to add the romance part?

you should probably blame the series script writiers and director for that not JC Staff.
So wish they hired Fumihiko Shimo for the job.
Apr 30, 2013 3:43 AM

Sep 2012
@Naoe

I think Haruka's route was butchered the most so yeah...
It really had the Little Busters kind of gawking at Haruka and Futaki as they made up, and didn't really involve Riki as much as the other routes.
The other 3 routes in the anime well accentuated Riki's protagonist role, but in Haruka's he was just kind of getting the backstory from Haruka and Futaki. There wasn't a lot of time to develop the route though, so I'd rather people at least get a closer depiction of the story, even if it didn't involve Riki helping Haruka as much as in the VN. Kud's route kept Riki's involvement up, but of course still no romance.

Just hope Refrain has better pacing and stays more true to the original.
Apr 30, 2013 4:16 AM

Nov 2010
Well, considering the difference betweens formats, I'm not suprised JC Staff removed the romance part from all current routes. Also, there simply wasn't enough time to fully develop some routes (Haruka route), while some routes were adapted great but with problematic endings (Komari for example, ending of her route is anime is awful), again because of format.

All in all, I'm satisfied with adaptation. However, I can't shake of the feeling that adaptatioin would be soo much better if they used Amagami or Higurashi style (hard reset after each arc), it would also open the way for romance to be introduced. With current format, I believe they'll reserve romance only for Rin route(s) and Refrain.
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.
Apr 30, 2013 4:45 AM

Sep 2011
Aurioch said:
Well, considering the difference betweens formats, I'm not suprised JC Staff removed the romance part from all current routes. Also, there simply wasn't enough time to fully develop some routes (Haruka route), while some routes were adapted great but with problematic endings (Komari for example, ending of her route is anime is awful), again because of format.

All in all, I'm satisfied with adaptation. However, I can't shake of the feeling that adaptatioin would be soo much better if they used Amagami or Higurashi style (hard reset after each arc), it would also open the way for romance to be introduced. With current format, I believe they'll reserve romance only for Rin route(s) and Refrain.

If they follow the format for Kurugaya....... ahhhh! My world is spinning. From what I remember, the entire route of Kurugaya was because of Riki's adoration and Kurugaya's lingering feelings for Riki. If they don't add romance to Kurugaya, then her route would be absolutely meaningless T_T.

Vladz0r said:
I think Haruka's route was butchered the most so yeah...
It really had the Little Busters kind of gawking at Haruka and Futaki as they made up, and didn't really involve Riki as much as the other routes.
The other 3 routes in the anime well accentuated Riki's protagonist role, but in Haruka's he was just kind of getting the backstory from Haruka and Futaki. There wasn't a lot of time to develop the route though, so I'd rather people at least get a closer depiction of the story, even if it didn't involve Riki helping Haruka as much as in the VN. Kud's route kept Riki's involvement up, but of course still no romance.

Just hope Refrain has better pacing and stays more true to the original.

I can't stand the fact that they removed the romance from Kud. It was supposed to be Riki liking Kud, and Kud already had a crush on Riki since the start. Story develops and from what I remember, much like Haruka, Riki was the main goal of Kud. The most interesting and puts my heart at a ~Zukyuun~ kind of feel is when Kud tries her best for Riki. Wasn't that a pretty important part of the story? The gear and stuff, and the personification of the bat. All those formed the theme of Kud's route, and none of them were in the anime. It was once again, mostly friendship drama.
The butchered routes were Kud and Haruka (mostly on Haruka, while Kud's was butchered becayuse of the lack of romance). Luckily, Komari's and Nishizono's was good and kept faithful to the original story. It had an amazing amount of romance. Now that I look back, I guess its the reason why only half the anime was the one I liked. From episodes 1-15 was pretty good, 16-26 was mostly unfaithful to the original story in terms of romance. I guess now that I've calmed down, the anime didn't really seem all too bad......if you don't count half of it.
Naoe-RikiApr 30, 2013 4:56 AM
There comes a time when you need to become stronger and finally move forward from playing like a child, to strong adult

Apr 30, 2013 5:26 AM

Sep 2011
Regarding to the continuous and omnibus format, we can't do anything about it. JC Staff is totally copying what KyoAni did to Clannad. For instance, on how KyoAni named Clannad season 2 as "Clannad ~After Story~ and so JC Staff named LB season 2 as Little Busters ~Refrain~ though that's just trivial matter.

But it seems we're implying here that the lack of romance is the main reason why LB is mediocre or on how you interpret it.

Also, I highly doubt that they'll remove the romance in Kurugaya's route.

Apr 30, 2013 10:51 AM

Oct 2010
Little Busters in my opinion isn't that bad of an adaption. Yes, there is no romance between Riki and the girls and it does take away some of the impact that the VN had but I actually don't mind that much because that way they focus more on the friendship aspect and one the major themes of the story is friendship. In the end they still kept the "core" so to speak of each route and even though there are flaws it is still written in a way that is understandable and gets most of its point across. Although one thing I wish they would have changed was spread out some of the common route episodes.
LightSoulApr 30, 2013 10:55 AM
May 5, 2013 1:10 PM

Jun 2009
I also think it wasn't a bad adaption. If anything suffered it was the comedy aspect of the story. The drama aspects were well handled. Others seem to think that they had less impact that the visual novel but well I played the visual novel and didn't feel anything for the girls while playing there routes. I was too busy being pissed at how utterly stupid and contrived the whole thing was. Actually I applaud J.C staff for taking out some of the silly parts of Kud's and Haruka's routes and actually improving them.(Like for example the reason they put Kud in that cave...ugh...it was a ridiclous reason) The animation could have been better but I don't think this is a failed adaption. The problem is that the original material isn't as good as you guys make it out to be. I think even in Key circles Little busters is regarded as one of the weakest stories.
Though I have a lot of spite for Little busters because the final route gave me hope and the ending pissed all over that.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

May 5, 2013 2:17 PM

Jan 2013
AidanAK47 said:
The problem is that the original material isn't as good as you guys make it out to be. I think even in Key circles Little busters is regarded as one of the weakest stories.

I bet you don't even realize just how much you've embarrassed yourself with that line.
Little busters is actually considered the best VN of Key among Key fans. Even Jun Maeda himself (In case you didn't know, that's the founder of KEY who contributed the most to all of it's projects except Rewrite) said that Little Busters refrain was his greatest work.

Too bad LB didn't suit your tastes.
Some people hat on LB because they hate on Key.
Some people say Rewrite is the best Key VN because it's different from all other Key VNs and they dislike Key style.
But it's the first time I ever heard someone saying LB is the worst of Key.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

307 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Mar 1, 7:40 PM

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2013

200 by little_raven »»
Feb 24, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2013

167 by little_raven »»
Feb 21, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2013

288 by little_raven »»
Feb 21, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Funya-Usagi - Jan 5, 2013

185 by little_raven »»
Feb 20, 10:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.