Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2013 12:52 AM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What a perfect finale to an incredibly original show. I will miss every single one of these characters, but I will especially miss Sasuke and his crazy facial expressions.

I loved Rikyu's attitude these past couple of episodes, calling out everyone on their bullshit, but only doing it so that others won't feel guilty about his death!? What a man, what a tea master...
DunkyMay 12, 2013 9:16 PM
Apr 5, 2013 2:27 AM

Apr 2009
That was a great final scene, a very moving last episode.
It seems Sasuke finally found his place and Rikyu had one of the best death scenes I've seen in a while.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 5, 2013 3:42 AM

May 2008
Release schedule for this series have been so imperfect, that even Master Rikyu would be proud.
Apr 5, 2013 3:54 AM

Apr 2009
zero_suls said:
Release schedule for this series have been so imperfect, that even Master Rikyu would be proud.

The same can be said about the production of this anime (the author quitting the production staff, people reponsible for the opening getting caught with drugs, etc.) - truly the pinnacle of imperfection!
NidhoeggrApr 5, 2013 4:04 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 5, 2013 9:07 AM

Mar 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
zero_suls said:

The same can be said about the production of this anime (the author quitting the production staff, people reponsible for the opening getting caught with drugs, etc.) - truly the pinnacle of imperfection!

If I were into conspiracies I could belive it. Sound interestng that it was made for the sake of imperfection.

Great show indeed! Thanks for Doremi they subbed the last episodes that quickly. The eps were most interesting in the whole series. Waiting long for these would be a real "Via Dolorosa" using a golden cross for me :D
Apr 5, 2013 2:12 PM

Mar 2010
OH. MY. FEELS.

Apr 6, 2013 5:51 PM

Jun 2009
Absolut pwesomesauce.
Apr 14, 2013 11:18 PM
Feb 2011
Just saw it. What a grand finale, I really didn't expect Sasuke to play that role but it's so fitting to have his closest disciple by his side...
Apr 28, 2013 11:48 AM

Feb 2010
Minorun-run said:
Nidhoeggr said:
zero_suls said:

If I were into conspiracies I could belive it. Sound interestng that it was made for the sake of imperfection.

^HAH YES

This thread is amazing.... almost as amazing as that ending.

Such a one-of-a-kind show with a truly excellent ending.

Master went out like a boss, despite his situation, and Sasuke was there to witness it all, albeit under grim circumstances.

The pinnacle of imperfection.

9/10
May 7, 2013 6:01 AM

Aug 2009
While not what I had expected, the finale was amazing. It fits this unique show perfectly.

9/10 because Rikyuu, the master of imperfection, wouldn't want the perfect score.
Jul 15, 2013 1:01 PM
Jun 2010
An incredibly moving finale.
I thought most of the series lacked emotional focus, especially after Nobunaga died, and that perhaps the historical details took as much away from the story as it added. There were even times that I thought dropping it. But I am glad I made it to the end, which was definitely the high note of the show (if only the rest of the story displayed such patience and intensity!).
Sep 21, 2013 1:26 PM

Jun 2008
Does someone know the name of the last melody ?
Oct 18, 2013 9:58 AM

Apr 2012
Great finale, even if I would have liked to see more of Sasuke's journey. Like the mysterious future masterpiece tea bowl they showed 3-4 episodes ago. But in a way it also means those last moments with his master made Sasuke's character complete, and there is no need to show more.

So I've seen some complaints about Sasuke's facial expressions, but those were faithfully inspired from paintings of the Sengoku period. I know it's not a really obvious reference, but with the episode where Ieyasu recalls his defeat at Mikatagahara I thought more people would have understood.
Apr 29, 2016 6:52 AM

Feb 2016
Senno's tea-room is actually a national treasure. And it looks exactly like in the show inside and out. The reason Senno needed a cut in the gut is unknown which is where this series shines in filling in the gaps. He also breaks the tea cup as well, the poem is also the same depending on the translation you choose.

Oribe is also a real person, I don't know why but I thought for plot's sake he would be purely fictional, the historical figure doesn't meet a pretty end.

I was expecting Tokugawa to come to prominence near the end but in the aesthete's mind do we really need to know anymore about the boorish man's military endeavours?

All this time of trying to enlighten those faux plebs and now there's been a change in approach, almost like a petty version of separation of church and state; except funnily enough it is the art world and organised religion teaming up against the state especially considering the era...

Overall I really loved the show's confident creativity, it's dedication to its art, and doing it's part in lifting the bar up; the same way some comedy shows are doing likewise in their respective genres.

"The world is not beautiful therefore it is." - Kino holding up some shino pottery
Cloud_IllusionsMay 2, 2016 6:05 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Dec 19, 2016 7:04 PM

May 2010
Man, Rosny, thanks for that heads up. I assumed Oribe was a fictional character too, for whatever reason. The dude has his own freaking museum and a style of pottery named after him!

In fact, his actual life story leaves so much room for a sequel that it's a shame this series isn't popular enough to get one. Oribe becomes the teamaster of the land, and then ends up on the wrong side of history when Tokugawa Ieyasu takes over Japan. Since he stayed loyal to the Toyotomi clan, he himself was ordered to commit seppuku after their last stand at Osaka castle.

Wouldn't that just be perfect? To have a sequel where the student ends up dying the same way as his master? And all because of his loyalty to the one who ordered his master killed in the first place?
“Money can't buy dere”
May 22, 2017 3:23 PM

Mar 2012
It was a nice series, shame there hasn't been a continuation for the anime. I'm surprised Furuta is a real person xD I always thought he was fictional so that's pretty neat. I wonder if he acted the same way as he did in the show though lol.
Aug 9, 2017 7:46 AM

Jul 2015
That was a nice final episode, but sadly I can't say I liked much the series in general, very niche anime.
Oct 9, 2017 3:51 AM

Mar 2016
It was beautiful and sad.

Seeing Rikyu's head in Furuori's hand like that made me realize once again how fugacious our lives are. As humans, we don't grasp how temporal our bodies are and that with relative ease, our spirits could be released and set free to the other world. These bodies we possess are mere holding cells. They're incubators for further greatness. What we have here isn't all that's left. There's more beyond and I think Rikyu realized that.

The bird of imperfection flies free and uninhibited.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2018 9:18 PM

Feb 2010
I remember back when this first aired getting really interested in this anime, but as pretty much everyone (save for those who speak japanese), I couldn't really follow the series because there were just no subs at the time. In the end, the series went to my PTW list, and stayed there for years.

A part of me is glad though because I do feel the me from now enjoyed this series even more than the me from 6 years ago would've, so maybe it all played up well.

What can I say, I expected something good, but it went beyond all my high expectations. This series is pretty dense, and at least for me, not a series I could've watched quickly like some thrillers or sports series, but this is the kind of series that will stay with me for a long time. Every episode gave me something to appreciate.

I mean, this is brilliant. I think this might be the first japanese history anime I've truly enjoyed (ok, chances are I'm forgetting something, but most of it is crap, sadly). The series is extremely faithful to historical events, but with a big touch of satire that was just brilliant. Always focused on the inside of things rather than the outside, full of political intrigue, but with an impressive sense of comedy.

And that ending, man, what a way to go for the most influential man in the history of the japanese tea ceremony.
Akai_ShuichiMay 17, 2018 9:28 PM

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Aug 22, 2018 9:55 PM
Jul 2017
I didn't know much about this series when I started watching it, so I look forward to watching it again in 8-12 binges, now that I know more about the history.

Somehow I feel like there are aspects of this anime that I'll never really understand, but that I can benefit from trying to understand.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Sep 4, 2018 4:34 PM

Aug 2010
Rosny said:
Senno's tea-room is actually a national treasure. And it looks exactly like in the show inside and out. The reason Senno needed a cut in the gut is unknown which is where this series shines in filling in the gaps. He also breaks the tea cup as well, the poem is also the same depending on the translation you choose.

Oribe is also a real person, I don't know why but I thought for plot's sake he would be purely fictional, the historical figure doesn't meet a pretty end.

I was expecting Tokugawa to come to prominence near the end but in the aesthete's mind do we really need to know anymore about the boorish man's military endeavours?

All this time of trying to enlighten those faux plebs and now there's been a change in approach, almost like a petty version of separation of church and state; except funnily enough it is the art world and organised religion teaming up against the state especially considering the era...

Overall I really loved the show's confident creativity, it's dedication to its art, and doing it's part in lifting the bar up; the same way some comedy shows are doing likewise in their respective genres.

"The world is not beautiful therefore it is." - Kino holding up some shino pottery

That pretty much sums up my own experience with the show rather exactly. It's funny, I also thought Furuta was a fictional character roped in to give the show its comic touch (though in real life I imagine he must have been more of just an affable and good-humoured man rather than the hilariously eccentric portrayal in the anime). Knowing that things didn't end well for him in real life gives the anime ending a rather haunting impact.

It's also interesting that you brought up Tokugawa, because here he is portrayed as something of a wise and pragmatic visionary rather than the scheming and (as you put it) boorish man that he seemed to have been in real life. I can't shake off the feeling that this work gives off of a history written by the victors where (for those who don't know the real history):
MisterGibbonSep 4, 2018 6:07 PM
Sep 5, 2018 3:04 AM

Feb 2016
MisterGibbon said:
Rosny said:

That pretty much sums up my own experience with the show rather exactly. It's funny, I also thought Furuta was a fictional character roped in to give the show its comic touch (though in real life I imagine he must have been more of just an affable and good-humoured man rather than the hilariously eccentric portrayal in the anime). Knowing that things didn't end well for him in real life gives the anime ending a rather haunting impact.

It's also interesting that you brought up Tokugawa, because here he is portrayed as something of a wise and pragmatic visionary rather than the scheming and (as you put it) boorish man that he seemed to have been in real life. I can't shake off the feeling that this work gives off of a history written by the victors where (for those who don't know the real history):

You make some excellent points. I have to admit I never did pay too much attention to how Ishida was portrayed compared to Tokugawa from the lens of a historian, rather the show needed an antagonist to the arts. It's good to be critical of how historical figures are portrayed, seeing each character as rightfully flawed in their own ways rather than assigning to them one-sided attributes as a result of where they pitched their tents.

I personally did not see Ishida as a villain, I understood that he was from the perspective of the aesthetes but I also saw strong admirable qualities on his part such as his unwavering loyalty to his lord.

It was my opinion, that the importance of art and religion is interwoven into the very plot itself.That, the great irony was Rikyu killing off the very shogun that embodied imperfection, his karma was his downfall. Imperfect may it be, the great wheel of karma will turn, with the great unifier of Japan, none other than Mitsuhide's admirer Tokugawa.

And it was under the Tokugawa shogunate that provided stability and a natural revitalisation of interest in wabi-sabi and the arts to a peace-time samurai gentry class.
Cloud_IllusionsSep 5, 2018 3:07 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Sep 5, 2018 9:32 AM

Aug 2010
Ok that was an overly simplistic way of phrasing it on my part - I didn't mean to suggest that the show's intention was to portray Ishida as a "villain": rather that, from the aesthetes' standpoint, he was a short-sighted reactionary whose strong personal ethos (most likely stemming directly from the traditional Bushido code of honour) were at odds with what Rikyu and his disciples saw to be the way of the future (I mean, who can forget that tree-house episode...). Whereas Tokugawa was contrastingly portrayed as a "visionary" who not only personally oversaw the rise of Edo into the regional economic and military-political stronghold of Japan, but also politically positioned himself on favourable terms with the aesthetes (or rather the more progressive-minded and artistically-inspired daimyos) which is shown to have worked in his favour. This is where I felt the show portrayed the historical victor in a favourable light and vice-vera.

End of the day I do understand that this is a fictional take on real events (Rikyu's VA himself puts out that disclaimer at the beginning of every episode after all...) and a very creative attempt to fill in the gaps of the historical facts, but ultimately more interested in regarding the events through the wabi-sabi worldview that the protagonists championed, and the artistic legacy that they left behind. In that capacity, I feel it is (ironically enough) close to perfect.
Oct 28, 2019 12:29 PM

Oct 2015
Rikyu going rambo on those guys was pretty awesome.

So it ended with the seppuku of my favorite character, I'm deeply frustrated by the outcome. But I can understand, since Rikyu was sending death flags all over the place. I was touched when he didn't want to involve anyone further, he protected his comrades until the end. I also impressed by his last words of wisdom to Oribe, what a true aesthete until the end. I started to hate Oribe in this episode, as he chose to kill and do Hideyoshi's dirty otherwise he'll lose his status and wealth. In the end the true evil villains won, including Oribe. Yeah Rikyu was the true mastermind of that coup, but at least he atoned from this episode. I mean, the man provoked his seppuku to atone himself.

Overall this was a great series, that only became itself and never catered to modern cliché fake shit that we usually given. Everything was original and true. The only thing wrong was the focus to Oribe and his worthless aesthetic ambitions, if only they toned down on it, then it Would've been perfect. The animation was perfect for me, except when Rikyu was committing seppuku. I liked the unique op, where they changed the song on the visuals. The characters were nice, and the plot was hella good on the drama. Too bad it ended on a bitter note.

8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 13, 2020 12:05 AM

Feb 2012
A perfect ending for a unique series. As a whole I thought the series dragged on a little, but in the last 10 episodes it did pick up quite a bit. There weren't any filler episodes, but many bits were starting to feel repetitive, so fewer episodes would have made the narrative tighter.

The last episodes were better executed because it was more about the political plotting, yet that wasn't the best part of the series for me. It's just that the balance was better towards the end. The series tried to juggle three different elements, and not always successfully:

1. The comedy. Largely this was visual comedy, funny postures, exaggerated expressions etc. I'm not a huge fan of this kind of comedy, but every now and then it was funny. Yet, as the series went on, it became repetitive.

2. The political intrigue. This was what largely drove the plot, but it was interwoven with the characters' aesthetic ambitions. The basic plot was good, but the progress was pretty slow because of the other elements.

3. The philosophical discourse. This was the most unique part of the series, and my favourite. I can't think of another series that explores Japanese philosophy. It's one of the more philosophical series out there and felt much more satisfying than what usually passes for philosophy (some variation of "You are not what you think" or "The world is not what you think"). It explored the concept of wabi-sabi very well, the aspects that cannot be directly described since the experience of the world is such a big part of it. And despite all the talking about tea ceremony, the philosophy came through as an experience rather than an explanation, which was good.

Even if this was my favourite aspect, the series was constantly walking on the edge, trying to balance between the plot and the more timeless meditations on imperfection. In fact, this problem parallels the main question of the series: whether to be a warrior or an aesthete. It's a difficult thing to pull off, and while the result wasn't a masterpiece, I have to respect the fact that they tried to do something so ambitious.
Jun 17, 2021 11:28 AM

Jun 2019
My 53rd completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 9/10 rating.
Feb 10, 4:07 AM

Apr 2016
Which chapter should I start reading the manga from?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouge Mono Episode 3 Discussion

Zepwich - Apr 29, 2011

22 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 15, 7:36 AM

Poll: » Hyouge Mono Episode 2 Discussion

dbaranyi - Apr 18, 2011

27 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 15, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Hyougemono Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xity - Apr 7, 2011

64 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 15, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Hyouge Mono Episode 34 Discussion

MusashiRose - Apr 27, 2013

5 by Fronzel »»
Apr 28, 2023 12:44 PM

Poll: » Hyouge Mono Episode 30 Discussion

MusashiRose - Apr 27, 2013

4 by Fronzel »»
Apr 27, 2023 3:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.