Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 9, 2013 4:32 PM
Jan 2010
Does anyone else find that kodaka stupid for not noticing anything that happens around him. The girls give so many signs that they like him and he doesnt notice a shit. it's as if he doesnt care for girls at all.

Oh and why havent they noticed the fact that they all are friends in the club? I thought it should be obvious by now.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 9, 2013 4:35 PM

Aug 2012
He notices a lot, I believe. Especialy if it's about Rika's scary.. character?

He's also a asocial guy who's never been in love before, ergo not possible to see the signs (also his mindset is friends before relationships, which is probably the reason stopping him from thinking any further).
Mar 9, 2013 4:37 PM

Feb 2013
whenever the girls whisper something he always miss what they were trying to say
"Currently playing the Game of of Life"
Poppin Pills is All We Know - Antidote
Mar 9, 2013 4:37 PM

Mar 2012
He is harem MC. What would you expect?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 9, 2013 4:38 PM

Dec 2012
He's pretending to be dense.
Mar 9, 2013 4:40 PM
Jan 2010
NeoAnkara said:

Yeah but its so simple and its exaggerated a lot, I think it could've been a lot more complicated. I think it could need some depth.
Mar 9, 2013 4:48 PM

Mar 2012
Deaq said:
NeoAnkara said:

Yeah but its so simple and its exaggerated a lot, I think it could've been a lot more complicated. I think it could need some depth.
The atmosphere will be ruined if this get more deep.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 9, 2013 5:48 PM

Nov 2012
A dense character is pretty much requirement for being MC in harem anime.

A city's greatness is determined by the speed of its internet connection.
Mar 9, 2013 5:52 PM
Nov 2010
He pretends to not notice Rika. So, couldn't it be possible he's doing the same with the others?
Mar 9, 2013 10:08 PM
Dec 2010
He is the straight man in this comedy troop. Wouldn't be as funny otherwise.
Mar 9, 2013 10:27 PM

Jul 2010
NeoAnkara said:

Ain't this the truth.

This is my TL;DR, sorry for the length. Its just after watching the last episode aired I can't hold it in any longer. Sorry for grammar mistakes I'm not very good with that.

What bothers me even more is that the whole premise of the show is based off them trying to make friends. But they are all too stupid to realize that THEY ARE ALREADY FRIENDS. I mean come on, get a clue already. I think, no, I know the whole cast is dense, not just the MC. The harem thing is really getting on my nerves. Season 1 at least gave the impression that it was one Yozora and Sena going after the MC. Rika and Yukimura we're just side characters. Rika acts like she loved the MC but it all felt like jokes. While Yukimura is Yukimura. It wasn't until this season came along and had to screw everything up. Not only did they bring those two, who we're perfectly capable not falling in love with the main C, but introduced a VARIETY of new women for the MC's harem. Why couldn't this story just be about the rivalry between Sena and Yozora. Why did this have to turn into a brainless harem. It disgusts me, why I'm still watching I don't know

Maybe I'm hoping the ending will bring some resolution or at least some decision by the MC. Owait this is a harem anime. Nothing's going to happen in the end. Maybe I'm hoping it will pull a Clannad and stop the harem in the end? Highly doubtful. No harem anime like this is that smart. Maybe I'm just wanting to see the train wreck. Highly possible, it is entertaining to see my brain cells fly out the window every time a new girl appears for the stupid MC's harem and continue to see the fact that they will never realize that they are friends. /sarcasm

I'd like to know everyones thoughts on this?

-Why wont they realize that they are friends?
-Why are they trying to make ever single freaking girl in love with the MC?
-Why is there no character development?
-Why is the MC so freaking dense, is he deaf or blind?
-Why is Rika toned down in S2 and replace with affection with love for the MC?
-Why is Maria's sister needed? because she's only breathing because of fanservice. She in no way strengthens maria's character (like she even has one to begin with.. but I'm getting ahead of myself)
-Why is this new rival to sena character needed? She's just gonna end up in the MC's harem
-Why is every freaking person becoming the MC's childhood friend? who's next Rika? What is this Oreshura? Sena was perfectly fine not having a link to the MC. Why the hell did it need to be this?
-Why wont the writers realize when enough is enough, before season 2 i was happy with giving s1 a 4/10 but with s2 as a 2/10. I might just go back and re-evaluate.
-Why am I even writing this? lol

This show as gone to hell
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Mar 10, 2013 1:57 AM

Dec 2012
I thought this has been spoiled enough in the episode dissucssions i will say it again

He does it on purpose he is not dense
Mar 10, 2013 1:58 AM

Dec 2012
zansabarshadow said:

snip

Fuck off.
Mar 10, 2013 1:59 AM

Feb 2012
tsudecimo said:
I thought this has been spoiled enough in the episode dissucssions i will say it again

He does it on purpose he is not dense

Pretty much this.
Mar 10, 2013 3:09 AM

Mar 2011
NeoAnkara said:
Mar 10, 2013 5:24 AM

Oct 2009
Strange8 said:

With a little modification.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Mar 10, 2013 6:06 AM
Aug 2012
NeoAnkara said:

This is one of the dumb mindsets that pisses me off. So just because it's a harem anime, the mc has to be dense? Yeah right!!! I admit most of them are but there are exceptions. Kodaka here and there is also the MC from OniAi. Try to view the characters properly before judging them.

Mar 10, 2013 7:50 AM

Jul 2010
tsudecimo said:
zansabarshadow said:

snip

Fuck off.

Well excuse me for having an opinion to share. Moron.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Mar 10, 2013 11:07 AM
Dec 2010
azzuRe said:
Strange8 said:

With a little modification.

cute.

I am being serious though. This isn't about a Harem requiring a dense man. Rather, his role is the straight-man in a comedy. By being a bit dense, sometimes insensitive, and sometimes thoroughly normal, he gives a contrast to the subtle, vulnerable and absurd actions of the girls. This helps the comedy.
Mar 10, 2013 11:09 AM

Jan 2013
Unlike most Harem characters, he notices.

He at one point says that he's not interested in looking for a girlfriend; I forgot which episode that was in, but I believe Kate posed him that question.
Mar 10, 2013 11:17 AM

Nov 2008
If he's stupid for not noticing what is happening around him then all of them are. I do get irritated at times myself, but him not "noticing" is a part of the story as much as none of them realizing that they're friends with each other is.

Also, maybe it's because no one has ever had a crush on him so he doesn't know how to take the hints? lol
Mar 10, 2013 11:22 AM
Dec 2010
I think one of the problems with this discussion is that people forget that this is a constructed piece of entertainment. The characters cannot be judged on their own merit for the obvious reason that they don't exist, as much as we might enjoy thinking of them in that way when we identify with them.

Some stories focus heavily on character development and reflection. This show does that to a certain degree but it also allows the characters to be idiosyncratic for the sake of comedy. They go back and forth in doing this, which helps build the drama. The fortune telling scene was funny because of the idiosyncratic caricatures of the the people involved. It built drama because, afterwards Sena shows she is disappointed since she thought Yozora really got her as a friend, while Yozora takes note of that and even internally shows some surprise and possibly guilt.

Trying to analyze whether Kodaka is really dense or just pretending misses the point, in my opinion. At times, it serves the comedy to present him as idiosyncratically dense. At other times it serves the drama for him to be more aware of what is going on (or to still be dense). The writers seem more interested in creating comedic situations than developing consistent character development. But they also rework the comedic situations into slow, surprising and sometimes confusing character development.. I think it works. And when they decide to wrap up the show and build a dramatic climax they'll reframe Kodaka's "stupidity" however they think is most effective.
Mar 10, 2013 11:23 AM
Dec 2010
Lenalee1 said:
If he's stupid for not noticing what is happening around him then all of them are. I do get irritated at times myself, but him not "noticing" is a part of the story as much as none of them realizing that they're friends with each other is.

Yup. It's all part of the story.
Mar 10, 2013 11:32 AM

Dec 2012
I already spoiled it and said he is not dense and does it on purpose and pretend not to hear the girls and ignore their hints but i guess people don't know how to read...
Mar 14, 2013 12:20 AM

Nov 2012
As some people have already stated; Kodaka is not dense. He is feigning ignorance in order to not destroy the club, as he fully understands the consequences of pursuing one of the girls.
Mar 14, 2013 12:29 AM

Sep 2012
Deaq said:
Does anyone else find that kodaka stupid for not noticing anything that happens around him. The girls give so many signs that they like him and he doesnt notice a shit. it's as if he doesnt care for girls at all.
Actually it is stupid to call him stupid. In fact he is being smart. Only by pretending he does not know or is not interested can he keep the club in one place.

Strange8 said:
Trying to analyze whether Kodaka is really dense or just pretending misses the point, in my opinion. At times, it serves the comedy to present him as idiosyncratically dense. At other times it serves the drama for him to be more aware of what is going on (or to still be dense). The writers seem more interested in creating comedic situations than developing consistent character development. But they also rework the comedic situations into slow, surprising and sometimes confusing character development.. I think it works. And when they decide to wrap up the show and build a dramatic climax they'll reframe Kodaka's "stupidity" however they think is most effective.
And this too.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 14, 2013 12:38 AM

Feb 2013
NeoAnkara said:

This
Mar 14, 2013 4:07 PM
Feb 2013
Well, now we can see that he's not that stupid.
Mar 14, 2013 5:05 PM

Oct 2010
He afraid he will destroy the relationship of the club members if he let them realize that he kow their feelings..+he currently not having any real romantic feelings to any of them,so he has to shut up..I believe Kodaka will take action since he is a responsible and caring character
Signature Removed
Mar 14, 2013 6:05 PM

Sep 2011
Kodaka is the first harem protag that I have heard of that pretends... Because if they found friends, the club would end or something like that, or they could really be influenced by Yozora.

That's why he's so interesting.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Mar 14, 2013 9:42 PM

Nov 2007
Episode 10 already answered your question. We can close this thread now and enjoy a fantastic anime. ^_^
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 14, 2013 10:08 PM
Feb 2013
shanimebib said:
Episode 10 already answered your question. We can close this thread now and enjoy a fantastic anime. ^_^
Mar 17, 2013 2:04 AM

Jan 2011
I never understand this notion. It's a harem show that is on regular tv, so its not like he can just fuck them otherwise you have hentai.

He could choose, but that would piss off the fans of those girls who lost.

Or he could go out like a G like Makoto (MakoGAWD) on School Days.
Mar 19, 2013 12:36 PM

Apr 2012
tsudecimo said:
I already spoiled it and said he is not dense and does it on purpose and pretend not to hear the girls and ignore their hints but i guess people don't know how to read...

fixed
Mar 21, 2013 9:00 PM

May 2012
pretty typical for a male character in a harem
Mar 21, 2013 9:35 PM

Feb 2012
Joobie said:
pretty typical for a male character in a harem
The sad truth :(

I've seen a lot of harems and I'm still waiting to see one where the male lead actually accepts and pursues it.

Sekirei is the closest one that I've seen.
Mar 21, 2013 9:46 PM

Sep 2012
Does nobody like to read?
Mar 21, 2013 10:58 PM

Aug 2012
Red_Keys said:
Or watch the show for that matter.
Mar 22, 2013 12:29 AM

Dec 2012
rsslayersr said:
Red_Keys said:

IKR ? ...
Mar 22, 2013 12:40 AM
Jan 2010
Kodaka's not stupid. Well, it doesn't matter anyway, since whatever he does, the Neighbor's Club will break down eventually.
Mar 22, 2013 5:01 AM

Dec 2012
rsslayersr said:
Red_Keys said:
Huh? what?

There's still not much different between him and any other harem protag, even if he's pretending, both play the dense card
Mar 22, 2013 5:25 AM

Dec 2012
Monde11 said:
rsslayersr said:
Red_Keys said:
]Huh? what?

There's still not much different between him and any other harem protag, even if he's pretending, both play the dense card

Being naturally dense and pretending to be is the same = MIND BLOWN

Let me break it to you the differnece between him and typical harem MCs :
1/ He is not dense and know about the feelings of the people around him.
2/ He doesn't have a love interest that he pursues but fail miserably at .
3/ He has a reason not to have a romantic relationship with any of the girls
4/ He is not perverted , wimpy or weak (check ep 3)

Those are enough to make him escape the label ''typical harem MC''
Mar 22, 2013 5:42 AM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
Monde11 said:
rsslayersr said:
Red_Keys said:
]Huh? what?

Being naturally dense and pretending to be is the same = MIND BLOWN

Let me break it to you the differnece between him and typical harem MCs :
1/ He is not dense and know about the feelings of the people around him.
2/ He doesn't have a love interest that he pursues but fail miserably at .
3/ He has a reason not to have a romantic relationship with any of the girls
4/ He is not perverted , wimpy or weak (check ep 3)

Those are enough to make him escape the label ''typical harem MC''
Read it again, I'm not talking about being weak, or having a love interest and I also didn't say he's a typical harem MC. I mean even if he's pretending, the characters actions aren't much different beside Kodaka being aware. I actually prefer the MC being clueless though, he does have his reasons and is aware of them liking him, but it's not doing wonders for his character and to me it's making him look like a coercive asshole who's hurting those around him much more than the naive idiot MC.
Mar 22, 2013 5:55 AM

Dec 2012
Monde11 said:
Read it again, I'm not talking about being weak, or having a love interest and I also didn't say he's a typical harem MC. I mean even if he's pretending, the characters actions aren't much different beside Kodaka being aware. I actually prefer the MC being clueless though, he does have his reasons and is aware of them liking him, but it's not doing wonders for his character and to me it's making him look like a coercive asshole who's hurting those around him much more than the naive idiot MC.

Monde11 said:
There's still not much different between him and any other harem protag

That's what you said when you quoted those people who are implying Kodaka is not stupid which the topic of this thread.(Other harem protag = typical harem leads it is the same meaning.)

First he is really not hurting anyone by pretending to be dense also it is gonna come into play when he decides to respond to this emotion in the future novels and it makes a difference because Rika knows he is pretending and that's gonna have a major role in their future relationship which you will see in the last episode next week.
Mar 22, 2013 6:18 AM

Apr 2011
Kodaka is not stupid..
Mar 23, 2013 8:30 AM

Nov 2012
At this point, people that still think that Kodaka is dense, are probably pretty dense themselves.
Mar 23, 2013 9:57 AM
Jun 2008
Being ignorant is bad, but I think pretend to be ignorant is even more....
Its like a firefighter knows how to put out fire but refuse to do so lol
Mar 23, 2013 10:12 AM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
Monde11 said:

Monde11 said:
There's still not much different between him and any other harem protag

That's what you said when you quoted those people who are implying Kodaka is not stupid which the topic of this thread.(Other harem protag = typical harem leads it is the same meaning.)

First he is really not hurting anyone by pretending to be dense also it is gonna come into play when he decides to respond to this emotion in the future novels and it makes a difference because Rika knows he is pretending and that's gonna have a major role in their future relationship which you will see in the last episode next week.
Not quite sure what you're getting at, I already made my point about Kodaka and other MC's. Yeah I know he's friends with Rika I've read spoilers up to the latest novel, maybe you're right it hasn't really hurt anyone YET, but it will. I preferred this show as a comedy...
Mar 23, 2013 2:04 PM

Apr 2011
He knows he just hasn't made a decision.
Apr 4, 2013 8:06 PM

Jun 2012
i know there probably many people before me who said this already but when i was reading this questing i just had a feeling to write cause its a stupid question that shouldn't even be a question if people payed attention to the anime this could be avoided.

really do people even read subtitles at all?? it was clearly said that he noticed there feelings all along but he pretended not to notice or hear them to avoid problems in the group. he is scared that the group will fall apart since all the girls love him. he thinks friends before love.

this doesn't take the fact away that i have to agree with the people who say he hurt the people around him more then a dense or idiot guy.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2013

253 by Ske80 »»
Apr 17, 6:47 AM

Poll: » Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

675 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 16, 6:11 AM

Poll: » Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2013

457 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 16, 5:27 AM

Poll: » Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

268 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 16, 3:50 AM

Poll: » Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2013

183 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 16, 3:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.