Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 10, 2016 9:28 AM

Sep 2015
This was a pretty good episode, some parts didn't work for me but a lot of it really did. The episode is centered around Mochi day which I've never heard of, but you can tell from the name is a big deal for our heroine. Her father and the neighboring mochi shop are competing with crowd drawing activities. However I have never heard of any of these activities, so for this very American viewer there was a kind of delightful sense of absurdity about the whole thing. A lot of other recurring stories in the series got some advancement this time, including possibly two which come to an end.

For starters this episode is kind of centered around Anko, and her classmate/crush. She is acting strangely in regards to him, and despite being excited when he is coming to visit can't bring herself to see him. For the record Dera calling up the stairs to her after she was just embarrassed by her father doing that is my pick for funniest part of the episode. In the end after some moping and concern, at Tamako's request Mochi discovers what's bothering her. I liked this a lot, that her friend was moving was kind of surprising as it's sort of an emotionally heavy plot turn for a series this light and breezy. I also liked that it gave Mochi some great character moments, he cares about Anko but he's clearly out of his wheelhouse in determining what's wrong with her. The dramatic conclusion was hella cute, as scraped knees and all Anko delivers some fresh mochi to the boy on the day he leaves. Tamako, Mochi et al successfully protected that smile.

The other major plot is as Tamako's humming the song her mother used to sing, we discover near the beginning her father is at least knowledgeable of the song as he has a bad reaction to hearing it. I really liked the conclusion of what the song was near the end, it was sweet and a little funny not as emotionally overwrought as I thought this arc would be. Turns out Tamako's Dad had a band when he was younger with coffee shop man, and this was a song her wrote for Tamako's Mom. I loved the revelation the random opening scene, was a flashback to their first real interaction. And the song was pretty alright too. I love tsundere Dad, a lot of times anime parents are just not that interesting but he's pretty great.

All in all I liked this episode, it was really funny from start to finish, had a good theme, and significantly advanced perhaps for the last time Tamako's family. I also really liked Kanna being so excited for the mochi pounding, I think she's the most unique girl of the bunch and frequently makes me laugh the most. If I have one complaint, Choi does not do much in this episode and what she does is further track the plotline where Tamako is destined to be engaged to the Prince. Needless to say still not terribly excited for that plot to unfold.
Aug 30, 2016 5:21 PM

Oct 2012
Gotta love the origins of the song Tamako was humming. There was a lot to like this episode, the song, An having to deal with her crush moving, her interactions with Mochizo and Tomako being a keen and thoughtful big sister. I liked that the song sounded very amateur too, it made it very genuine.

Still waiting for Choi/Dera's plot to be resolved and really, what the hell is Dera anyway?
Oct 31, 2016 2:09 AM

Dec 2014
well tamako's father was a play boy.... good for him.... Heartfelt episode through out
Jan 20, 2017 11:17 AM

Aug 2016
I really like this anime, is amazing
Feb 12, 2017 2:39 PM

May 2015
Tamako's dad is amazing. Her mother looks like her.

Anko is so cute. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 17, 2017 8:46 AM

Nov 2011
Damn this episode got me a little *Sniff sniff* Teary eyed. T_T
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 24, 2018 4:01 AM

May 2015
I can't have been the only one who bawled my eyes out at that ending... and that song!

Nov 28, 2018 6:00 PM

Apr 2015
Pretty impressive that Dera got fat again by the beginning of this episode.

I still can't get over the guy Anko likes. ♪ Your boyfriend is a dork, McLovin' ♪
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 28, 2018 10:44 PM

Jul 2016
It was a great episode. The best one so far, personally speaking. The first scene with Tamako's parents when they were young was really nice and cute.

Also, the whole dilemma regarding Anko and the boy she likes was rather adorable. I'm glad that she was able to give him the mochis and say goodbye before he left.

All in all, I really enjoyed every scene of this ep. but now I wish there would be an Special or an OVA of Tamako's parents when they were dating. That would be really wholesome for sure.

P.S.: Mochizou's reaction when Tamako gave him a birthday cake xD He's just too pure.
Mar 14, 2019 12:01 AM

Dec 2014
5/5 Tamako's Dad Rocks!

its really cute episode, one of the best too, An is so cute , and this is where that cute gif came from the part where choi is dancing.

But alas the highlight if the Ep for me is tamako's dad, really sweet and kind of a bit sad, and his song is actually really good.

tamako really looks like her mother, she even got the same mole her mother has.
Mar 16, 2019 11:57 AM
Apr 2016
Episode dedicated to Anko and her father. Anko flustered was sooo cute! Rip her crush, he's moving away. A lot of flashbacks. Cute good episode.
Mar 21, 2019 8:23 PM

Feb 2012
One thing I like about this its soundtrack. Glad we got an episode dedicated to the dad and the record store owner.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Sep 22, 2019 11:50 AM

Dec 2016
Got surprised by Mochizou's reaction X3 So in the end Tamako didn't forget about his birthday and I find it very sweet <3

I didn't expect Tamako's dad was in a band. He rocked in this episode, it was great! ^^

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
May 30, 2020 9:39 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yeah, Mochizou really shit. Tamako gives him a fuckin birthday mochi, but he always forget it otherwise, shame on you, cry more you crybaby! To the shocked, The two sister really get a mature moment with each others counterpart. Surprising how a fuckin little girl like Anko can do some shit like that. I am a super jealous to that glasses little boy, poor me!

Welp, a massive development for both of them. A massive progress to the past, especially for the revelations of Tamako's mom. A bit sad, a bit happy, when they feel more joy. Yeah, that feels in the Mochi Day, such a great holiday ever, i guess!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 24, 2020 9:56 PM

Aug 2019
Hell yeh, ma boi Mochizou finally getting some love. My guy deserves it.
Aww really happy they finally decided to show a little more background on Tamako's parents. Episode was heartwarming as fuck and i respect her dad way more now. Anko also got her fair share of the spotlight which was really nice to see.
I will also say this, Choi in modern clothing especially that jumper makes her looking cute as shit holy hell. Her earth spiritual dance was also one of the cutest shits i've ever seen.
Jul 12, 2020 3:31 PM

Jan 2019
Very good episode. I found it so bittersweet, with talk about unrequited and lost love. *sniffle sniffle* definitely not relatable.
Sep 11, 2020 4:57 AM

Jul 2020
That song is pretty nice
Sep 28, 2020 10:11 AM

Nov 2015
tHIS anime is peak cuteness. Im overwhelmed.
Jan 4, 2021 4:05 AM
Jun 2020
this episode is freaking wholesome sndsadhfbhsfbhbsd i started tearing up when they played the tape nsdahdghasdhasgdsdahsdgcsadh
Feb 26, 2021 10:28 PM

Jul 2020
When I saw that ED song involving Tamako's mother before watching this episode, I was afraid this could go deeper and hurt all of us. Luckily it didn't. Really nice episode.

Also imagine hating Mochizou. That's stupid
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Apr 1, 2021 4:32 PM
May 2019
So cute... three relationships got their development on this episode. I cried at the last part; glad to see Tamako's dad realizing Tamako and Anko are worthy to hear the song too.
Jun 17, 2021 5:26 AM

Feb 2019
Anko was really cute this episode.

But for me the highlight was their dad. Such a sweet and wholesome love story. Can't believe he used to be in a band with the guy who owns the cafe, and that he even made a song for his wife back before they started dating! Seems like he really loved her. And she seemed to have been a very kind and sweet person. Loved their photos from during their time in high school.

I teared up a bit since he was probably devastated to have lost his wife that quickly, seeing as Anko doesn't seem to remember much of her mother. At least they were blessed with two great and cute daughters.
Aug 14, 2022 1:28 AM
Jul 2020
One of the best things about the episode was that the character's behavior was very calm compared to the past. And now the chicken still doesn't play a role, which is a huge plus.
Oct 11, 2022 11:20 PM

Jul 2019
Can Mamedai be more tsundere? I didn't expect him of all people to be the writer of the song. It was a nice discovery.

Poor little An(ko)! Good thing Mochi is a bit perceptive and also good that Yuzuki-kun will visit again.

Choi with her face full of mochi <3
Dec 16, 2022 2:53 PM

Apr 2016
Her dad so cool. Plays the guitar and not afraid of ANYTHING
Jan 3, 2023 12:49 AM

Jul 2022
Was this supposed to make me cry? because this did it.
Jun 23, 2023 1:39 AM
May 2023
I did not expect that from tamakos dad.
Anko is the sweetest girl ever say too adorable
Dec 27, 2023 4:03 PM

Dec 2022
Damn kinda teared up at the song. It's sad that their mother passed away but nonetheless it was a nice story. Tamako remebereing Mochi's birthday was sweet as well
Mar 22, 8:09 PM

Apr 2015
Finally something resembles a story or a plot happened xD
Yesterday, 11:41 AM

Jun 2017
evarybady loves somebady ,
Anko having her first heart break.Otousan was a stud in highschool ngl
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2013

175 by bakakisima »»
Yesterday, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2013

365 by Estefan »»
Mar 19, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2013

219 by HyperNova06 »»
Jan 24, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2013

224 by katakumplat »»
Jan 7, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2013

132 by katakumplat »»
Dec 31, 2023 1:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.