Forum Settings
Forums

Do you ever considedered to become a mangaka to make a living?

New
Jan 27, 2013 8:18 AM

Nov 2012
school is boring atm here in belgium and something im thinking about becoming a mangaka like in bakuman :p

but starting mangaka in belgium is weird and my drawing sucks :c im good in creating storys but my drawing is just to...

so my question is do you ever considered on becoming a mangaka?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 27, 2013 8:29 AM

Dec 2012
Pretty sure this should be in Casual Discussion, but...

When I was younger I did. But now, no. It doesn't make you money, and money makes the world go round.
If your drawing sucks... then don't even bother trying to make a living out of drawing mangas. Even pros who can draw might not even become successful.

Harsh truths.

*My Profile || Signature by Jeav || I am a part οf The Invisibles. || My Anime List*
Jan 27, 2013 8:31 AM
May 2012
I plan to have it as a side hobby.

The chances of you becoming successful are lower than getting into the NBA (or so I've heard), especially if you're doing it in Belgium
Jan 27, 2013 2:18 PM

Nov 2011
Being Japanese is kinda important.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jan 27, 2013 2:34 PM

Feb 2012
As said being a mangaka is extremely difficult to do and if your manga is super popular then you'll probably end up working at a part-time job anyways. You have to hit it big to make real money to live on it.
Jan 27, 2013 2:50 PM
Jan 2013
It'd be incredible but it's very unlikely to happen, even if you are very good. Practice drawing, create a manga then when you get a fair way in, put it up online somewhere...you never know what might happen next!

Though actually that's technically defined as a webcomic.
Jan 27, 2013 6:24 PM

Jan 2013
I've considered it before, but it's very unrealistic, especially if you don't live in Japan. Personally, I hope to create a manga influenced web comic once my drawing skills improve a bit (I can draw, but not as well as I'd like to), and If I can find some to be my writer. (I don't know If I'd be able to come up with suitable dialogue lol)
Jan 31, 2013 12:15 PM

Jan 2013
Hey! I'm Belgian too and I started drawing recently. I'm not that good yet, but I think that will come with excercise. I'd say try and write your ideas down, make some sketches to pretty much have your impressions and ideas noted somewhere, so that you could pick them up any day. This way you don't have to focus on it and I think you'd make progress if you'd try and do some drawings every now and then ;) I try to finish one every week, that is, drawing only, so no colouring!

If you really think the drawing part isn't gonna work out for you, you could still 'team up' with someone who does and then you could work out the stories and your partner can do the visualisation of it. It seems less work, but can become more if you don't have the same vision of how it should be, but you could consider it!

Good luck!
Jan 31, 2013 2:54 PM

Apr 2011
Sophilia said:

The chances of you becoming successful are lower than getting into the NBA (or so I've heard), especially if you're doing it in Belgium

You don't necessarily have to become equally famous. By mangaka he could just be doing it for fun for a niche audience online.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Jan 31, 2013 4:07 PM

Aug 2010
I have, I actually thought about some storyboards in my head, but then i realize i can't draw for shit...lol
Jan 31, 2013 4:09 PM
Jul 2012
What is magnaka?
Feb 1, 2013 12:03 PM

Jan 2013
GoldenBRS said:
What is magnaka?

A mangaka is someone who creates manga, pretty much like a writer writing books :P
Feb 1, 2013 12:06 PM
May 2012
Ineptia said:
Sophilia said:

You don't necessarily have to become equally famous. By mangaka he could just be doing it for fun for a niche audience online.
Yes, but he specifically stated he wants to make a living off of it.
Feb 2, 2013 11:59 AM

Mar 2010
Nope. Because it's realy hard to success in this kind of entertainment, you need more than talent and hard work to be succeed.

Every band want to be rock n' roll star, but only a goddamn little amount of them who achieved that. Every actor want to play in Hollywood film, but 99% of them would never play there at all.

I realized this when I was in highschool and I give up. I don't think I could face against harsh reality like that.
banas002Feb 2, 2013 12:03 PM
Feb 2, 2013 2:19 PM

Jan 2013
I would suggest getting a good paying career first.

Then you can work on a manga. Don't know why your asking everyone here you do what you want to do. It's that simple, if you wanna make a manga go practice drawing and make it, but don't think your gonna make a career out of it but hey I'm just a random guy you do what you wanna do.
Feb 2, 2013 2:38 PM
Dec 2012
You have to be ready for hard work everyday--no holiday, no xmas vacation, etc.. Not a few mangakas died young.

Perhaps it's better to win a lottery and create/share your manga on the net just as a hobby.
Feb 2, 2013 8:54 PM

Jan 2013
I know I wanted to write a manga when I was like.... 15. (´_`) But then I realized that I couldn't finish more then 2 pages and just kind of gave up. It's a lot more work then people realize; you're both writing a story plus illustrating it.
It's a nearly-impossible field to get successful in anyway. Though webcomics are a great way to start, since these days online exposure is really important. You can at least gain some fans that way and maybe even start to produce hard copies when and if you're skilled enough.
Feb 3, 2013 12:33 AM

Nov 2012
No. Not a very lucrative job in North America.
Feb 3, 2013 12:41 AM

Oct 2011
Mangaka,no.Not Japanese or live in Japan.
Making my own comic books,yes.But due to me knowing that it won't provide me with a steady flow of cash (unless it becomes big),it will probably be more along the line of a side thing.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Feb 3, 2013 1:38 PM

Sep 2012
This is a suicidal career in more than one way.
Feb 5, 2013 7:23 AM

Dec 2007
Making a living out of drawing manga is out of question, but drawing manga for fun is ok.

If you're good at making stories, be the Takagi, and find your own Mashiro. (Your profit is halved, should your manga sell is halved, but that's a price to pay.) Or you could practice drawing everyday.

But don't you have to be Japanese for this kind of thing? Or at least create it in Japan? Otherwise, it's called comics.
Feb 6, 2013 2:33 PM

May 2010
I want to be a graphic novel artist and maybe an animator. (I live in the U.S.A)
You should do what you love, even if it doesn't make money. But then again it could become a hit.
:3 never give up on your dreams!
Feb 6, 2013 10:37 PM

Jan 2013
kawaiisweetbunny said:
I want to be a graphic novel artist and maybe an animator. (I live in the U.S.A)
You should do what you love, even if it doesn't make money. But then again it could become a hit.

I agree, you don't wanna get older and regret not doing what you wanna do just because some random people told you it's impossible.
Feb 7, 2013 8:03 AM

Jan 2013
ibrahim2712 said:
kawaiisweetbunny said:

I agree, you don't wanna get older and regret not doing what you wanna do just because some random people told you it's impossible.

And your avatar is from One piece.
That's quite funny.

Feb 7, 2013 2:36 PM

Jan 2013
012yArthur0 said:
That's quite funny.

What's funny?
Feb 8, 2013 8:57 AM

Jan 2013
ibrahim2712 said:
012yArthur0 said:
That's quite funny.

What's funny?

Is because what you said is what One Piece basically wants to teach as a main thing.

So I found entertaining when it comes down from a fan.

Feb 8, 2013 3:15 PM

Jan 2013
012yArthur0 said:
Is because what you said is what One Piece basically wants to teach as a main thing.

So I found entertaining when it comes down from a fan.

Well I watch alot more other anime, and besides, I got into anime last year. My relative was the one who opened my eyes on this issue..
Feb 17, 2013 3:16 PM

Feb 2013
Yes I did, until I watched Bakuman OTL
Yo.
Feb 18, 2013 5:51 PM

Oct 2010
If I was good at drawing, I'd definitely be into doing it as a side thing, like online or something.
But I can't draw for shit, and if I can, I can't keep it consistent so there goes that lol!
Feb 19, 2013 2:16 AM

Jan 2013
If I had any kind of artistic ability, I would love to try and become an illustrator, author, cartoonist, etc.
But that doesn't mean if you have no talent or ability to draw, doesn't mean you should let any of your ideas or stories you have in your head go to waste. Try and find an illustrator to partner with with you to bring your stories to life (or at least from pen to paper?)

Feb 19, 2013 7:54 PM

Jan 2013
A lot of you guys seem to not understand that drawing is not a set stone ability, anybody can learn to draw like a pro, you just have to practice. Many of you make it sound like it's an ability and not a learning experience. I'm just saiyan it's like all other things you have to practice.

Just super saiyan.
Feb 20, 2013 1:34 PM

Jan 2013
ibrahim2712 said:
A lot of you guys seem to not understand that drawing is not a set stone ability, anybody can learn to draw like a pro, you just have to practice. Many of you make it sound like it's an ability and not a learning experience. I'm just saiyan it's like all other things you have to practice.

Just super saiyan.

But it takes a lot of time, and if I know, it's not easy to get professional help if you want to take this ability to make a living.

Feb 20, 2013 1:39 PM

Jan 2013
012yArthur0 said:
But it takes a lot of time, and if I know, it's not easy to get professional help if you want to take this ability to make a living.

You don't need professional help, and also you can have a real job and do it when your not working.
Feb 20, 2013 2:49 PM

Jan 2013
I would compare it to making a living by forming or joining a band. There are actually too many similarities to list.
I don't have a signature.
Feb 26, 2013 7:38 AM

Feb 2013
um yeah sometimes...though i actually want to go in psychology if you ask me...
░▒▄█▀▄░ █▄░█ ▀ █▄░▄█ █▀▀░░█▀▀▄ ▄▀▄ ▄▀ █░▄▀ ▄▀▀
▒▐█▄▄▐█ █░▀█ █ █░█░█ █▀▀░░█▐█▀ █░█ █░ █▀▄░ ░▀▄
▒▐█░▒▐█ ▀░░▀ ▀ ▀░░░▀ ▀▀▀░░▀░▀▀ ░▀░ ░▀ ▀░▀▀ ▀▀░
Apr 5, 2013 12:02 AM

Aug 2012
NO. Too much stress and being stuck inside all the time. You don't get enough time for yourself. Especially when you're near a deadline. It's just too much work.
Apr 13, 2013 1:55 AM

Oct 2012
Yes.

When I was 9.

Apr 13, 2013 3:44 AM

Apr 2013
For me, being a mangaka is way too difficult for me, considering that I'm the lazy type of person. Considering the fact that you have read Bakuman, then of course you already know how hard a mangaka's life is. Still, it's not wrong to do something you like or try to experience it. :)
"A sound soul resides in a sound mind and a sound body." -- Maka Albarn

"As far as I know, music isn't picky about when it is played." -- Soul Evans
Oct 22, 2015 5:14 PM
Oct 2015
Well I just googled this, and found this thread.
Yes, being a mangaka is very hard. Stress, no holidays, etc.
And @ those people who were saying drawing is an acquired skill:
IT IS. I've been doing some practicing for about three years now (when I first became hardcore about anime/manga).
And also, it's no big deal either to just partner up with a good illustrator too :P
But the main problem is all the work it's going to be. Either be a mangaka if:
1. You have horrible grades/Likely for a jobless/bad job life
2. You have no choice.
3. You started out as a popular webtoonist, and find it more likelier to make more money. Even being a webtoonist, actually, might make about just the same amount of money as above.
4. You are doing it as a side-job, just for fun.
5. Anything above +a good imagination is pretty good...
And that's all ^.^
Oct 22, 2015 6:24 PM

Jul 2013
Well. I would have to be in japan first. Which isn't going to happen.
Oct 26, 2015 8:45 PM

Aug 2014
Definitely have a full-time job first, then do what you love in your free time.

Don't count on it succeeding unless you can provably do better than most current mangka. If you can't people will just stick to older works and you won't sell.

Oct 27, 2015 2:12 AM

Apr 2014
Well, I could do it. It would be far too much work to be enjoyable, however. So much more can be conveyed in written form, anyways.
DawningFogOct 27, 2015 2:17 AM
Oct 27, 2015 2:18 AM

Feb 2015
I have a few interesting ideas but drawing to a high standard requires an insane amount of practice.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Oct 27, 2015 4:32 AM
Dec 2009
I wanna do it but I want to adhere how japanese do it in terms of the way it is drawn,inked and colored.
Nov 3, 2015 1:16 AM

Jun 2015
No because even if you are good at storytelling and drawing... You only make $1 per page/frame.

We should appreciate the creators of Anime and Manga because they live in really crappy conditions just to do what they love.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost."
Nov 8, 2015 2:19 AM

Mar 2011
I am not even sure if I could make it to manga-ka, the struggle is real.
But doujinshi-ka is much more realistic.
Nov 8, 2015 9:26 AM

Jul 2015
man you can't even imagine how much i would like to be Eiichiro Oda/Akira Toryama
Nov 11, 2015 2:42 AM
Jul 2018
That idea have crossed my mind several times.
Nov 11, 2015 2:51 AM
Dec 2011
American comic artist / author > Mangaka
Nov 21, 2015 11:03 AM
Sep 2015
no, but if i was a mangaka, i'd be poor as a hobo
jucheckNov 21, 2015 10:40 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

390 by Paahaakka »»
2 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

12 by Ashyguy »»
Yesterday, 9:15 AM

» How do you read your Manwha/Manhua ?

TheDefCrypt - Yesterday

1 by notPara »»
Yesterday, 8:43 AM

» Name of this manhwa?

Notadmin - May 7

1 by ST63LTH »»
Yesterday, 6:17 AM

Poll: » why do some people hate manhwa/ua so much???

FruitPunchBaka - May 6

11 by bcasey25raptor »»
May 7, 11:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.