Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Dec 18, 2012 3:51 PM

Mar 2012
ezikialrage said:
How many murders of children and child molestation a year are attributed to their teachers? Do you got stats or links?
Considering we're talking about protecting children in a school environment, in which children are rarely murdered by anyone, you're asking the wrong question. We should be asking: How many teachers, on occasion, go off at their class in an unprofessional way? How many jaded teachers are out there who treat teaching as "just another job"? The answer is a lot, or at least certainly non-negligible amount. Arming teachers is a horrible, horrible idea and I only touched on one of many possible reasons (ie. not actually being useful when the time comes, kids getting into them, ruining the precious school environment, furthering a culture of fear and distrust, etc.)

ezikialrage said:
Where do you live where most teachers are cowards who are too afraid of touching a firearm?
This makes me so sad and confused. How fucked up are you that you'd consider someone a coward for not wanting to handle a weapon?
JoshDec 18, 2012 3:55 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Dec 18, 2012 3:53 PM
Apr 2012
You know, considering how much of a parasite we are to our planet, it might be for the best if the entirety of humanity was killed off.
Dec 18, 2012 3:57 PM

Jun 2011
SSJgoku91 said:
jal90 said:
The point with teachers is not that they are or not able to own a firearm. It's that bringing firearms to a school under any circumstance is so fucked up I can't consider how anybody with more than half a neuron would defend it. Not to mention a freaking teacher in a classroom with 20 kids.

Got any reason for that? Other than an emotionally-fueled "it's fucked up".

The mere existence of a gun at a school is a liability. Those children are much more likely to be killed by the weapon rather than saved by it.

Same as with weapons in a home with children. There are accidental deaths all the time from children getting their hands on a weapon.
Dec 18, 2012 4:01 PM

Nov 2012
Post-Josh said:
]How many murders of children and child molestation a year are attributed to their teachers? Do you got stats or links? Considering we're talking about protecting children in a school environment, in which children are rarely murdered by anyone, you're asking the wrong question. We should be asking: How many teachers, on occasion, go off at their class in an unprofessional way? How many jaded teachers are out there who treat teaching as "just another job"? The answer is a lot, or at least certainly non-negligible amount.

Honestly I don't think that many, at least not enough to be significant. And I seriously doubt teachers will start murdering kids just because they have guns.

furthering a culture of fear and distrust, etc.)

There is no need to pretend to kids that we live in a fairy-tale world where nothing bad happens (sorry soccer moms) they might as well learn about this stuff from a young age.

This makes me so sad and confused. How fucked up are you that you'd consider someone a coward for not wanting to handle a weapon?
Not necessarily a coward but I can't really think of any good reasons why not. But I don't know anyone in real life who doesn't own at least one gun.
Dec 18, 2012 4:02 PM

Oct 2010
SSJgoku91 said:
jal90 said:
SSJgoku91 said:
jal90 said:

Security guards/police officers are qualified people who know well enough how to follow security protocols, among other things because that's their job. You can't and will never expect this level of sense from a teacher. And it also forgets that there will be several times during the day that the teacher will not be able to carry the gun with them, therefore leaving it exposed. Even if it's hidden it's not a matter to be 100% sure about. A security guard/police officer always carries the gun and takes care of it.

True now, but I don't think requiring teachers and aspiring teachers to take a several-week training course of marksmanship and firearm safety would be too much to ask. I also don't think it should be limited to teachers but also other school staff such as administrators, nurses, counselors, janitors, etc.

And that is the problem. To deal with a question that could be easily solved with more investment in the department of national security (e.g. putting police officers at the door entrances of the schools, so they can control if a suspecting individual introduces guns), people who not only are heavily trained but actually work at it, your solution instead is creating complicated programs of firearm safety for every public employer, and expecting that these programs can make up for the lack of experience and strategic training. What role does the security department fill, then? Is it just for show?

Having a police officer at every school would probably be more expensive than a short training course for school staff, and it brings up other problems as well - an attacker could just kill the police officer and then he would have free reign over the school. Police are there for situations ordinary people are not able to handle, gang shootouts, investigation, hostage situations, making arrests, etc. They should not be our lone source of protection.

You are assuming that the short training would be incredibly efficient, from what I see. Teaching them, not only about how to use the firearm, but how to take control in dangerous situations indirectly caused by its presence (if somebody steals it, if a kid accidentally breaks the safety catch), strategies to follow in every supposed case, etc. This requires years of training and you assume that every public employer is able to act like a fully prepared police officer with just that course.

On the other hand, it is obviously possible that the police officer gets killed, but murdering somebody at the entry door of a school is not the same as murdering them inside a school. It leaves a much wider margin to avoid the eventual invasion and massacre (in this last case's example). Not to mention that police officers tend to establish a constant communication with their specific department, therefore being -supposedly- able to act fastly if something happens to one of them.

And you are giving this example without taking into account that the exact same thing can happen inside the school, and is more likely to happen because the people there are not experienced in these situations. You are saying that one could murder the police officer but teachers are not exactly a more difficult objective. So in the end, what is the advantage of that system?
Dec 18, 2012 4:04 PM

Jun 2011
SSJgoku91 said:
Not necessarily a coward but I can't really think of any good reasons why not. But I don't know anyone in real life who doesn't own at least one gun.

I've got a good reason, they don't want to use it to kill someone.
Dec 18, 2012 4:05 PM

Nov 2012
Narmy said:
SSJgoku91 said:
jal90 said:
The point with teachers is not that they are or not able to own a firearm. It's that bringing firearms to a school under any circumstance is so fucked up I can't consider how anybody with more than half a neuron would defend it. Not to mention a freaking teacher in a classroom with 20 kids.

Got any reason for that? Other than an emotionally-fueled "it's fucked up".

The mere existence of a gun at a school is a liability. Those children are much more likely to be killed by the weapon rather than saved by it.

Same as with weapons in a home with children. There are accidental deaths all the time from children getting their hands on a weapon.

The teachers can keep the guns in a concealed holster, unless kids are reaching down the teacher's pants theres no reason they should be able to get their hands on it.
Dec 18, 2012 4:06 PM

Nov 2012
Narmy said:
SSJgoku91 said:

I've got a good reason, they don't want to use it to kill someone.

If it's a person whose attacking or robbing you who cares?
Dec 18, 2012 4:07 PM
Apr 2012
SSJgoku91 said:
Post-Josh said:
ezikialrage said:
furthering a culture of fear and distrust, etc.)

There is no need to pretend to kids that we live in a fairy-tale world where nothing bad happens (sorry soccer moms) they might as well learn about this stuff from a young age.

I 100% agree with this. Having dealt with death at a young age, I've learned to better appreciate the value of life.

It's not about being a coward. If I ever took the life another - even in self defense - I don't think I could live with the emotional and psychological repercussions of having that on my shoulders; the guilt would most likely be too much for my psyche. Granted I still own a weapon, hidden and tucked away in case of an emergency, but if it came down to it I wouldn't want to use it unless there was no other choice.
fdsfgsDec 18, 2012 4:11 PM
Dec 18, 2012 4:08 PM

Jun 2011
SSJgoku91 said:

Seriously? I guess it's not surprising that you're in favor of arming everybody, with such a callous disregard for human lives.
Dec 18, 2012 4:09 PM

Nov 2012
Narmy said:
SSJgoku91 said:

Seriously? I guess it's not surprising that you're in favor of arming everybody, with such a callous disregard for human lives.

Don't know about you but if it's me or them, I wanna go home that day.
Dec 18, 2012 4:13 PM

Jun 2011
SSJgoku91 said:
Narmy said:
SSJgoku91 said:

Don't know about you but if it's me or them, I wanna go home that day.

I'd rather we work to prevent the incidents from happening, rather than having everyone live in fear, which is what would happen if everyone had a gun.
Dec 18, 2012 4:23 PM

Jun 2009
How many murders of children and child molestation a year are attributed to their teachers? Do you got stats or links?

Sexual abuse cases are not a rarity, if you would actually read the news for once. The point which you're trying to avoid, was that you have absolutely no idea what arming the wrong person could bring. There's also the issue of if some kid got the hold of the gun.

Body armor will not stop certain rounds. Body armor is not really good at close range and even if the body army manages to stop the bullet from penetrating at close range it does not stop the force the bullet,so if you get hit will feel like someone hit your with a sledge hammer.

Way to miss the point completely this time. I was talking of deterrents and how they do not work, and why preparing with body armour would indicate that.

Where do you live where most teachers are cowards who are too afraid of touching a firearm?

In reality, where we aren't try-hard 12 year olds who trivialize killing someone. Usual big-talk coming from the imagination of a redneck who has never been put in such a situation himself.

Narmy said:

But seriously, the fact we're even having the argument makes me glad I wasn't born in the land of the free. Not to mention appreciate the lack of paranoia.
TrapaliciousDec 18, 2012 4:29 PM
Dec 18, 2012 4:45 PM

Nov 2012
Trapalicious said:

But seriously, the fact we're even having the argument makes me glad I wasn't born in the land of the free. Not to mention appreciate the lack of paranoia.

Don't worry about it, you guys have got your own problems. With the blossoming muslim population by the time your grandkids are adults suicide bombings and terrorist attacks will be happening like clockwork.
Dec 18, 2012 4:50 PM

Mar 2011
SSJgoku91 said:
Trapalicious said:

Don't worry about it, you guys have got your own problems. With the blossoming muslim population by the time your grandkids are adults suicide bombings and terrorist attacks will be happening like clockwork.

You're a racist too? That's... not surprising.
InfiniteDec 18, 2012 4:54 PM
Dec 18, 2012 4:51 PM

Nov 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
SSJgoku91 said:
Trapalicious said:

Not racist, just stating the facts.
Dec 18, 2012 4:54 PM

Sep 2008
SSJgoku91 said:

That's what they all say.
もののあはれ。。。

Nov 2012
BlueOni said:
SSJgoku91 said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
SSJgoku91 said:
Trapalicious said:

That's what they all say.

Muslims aren't a race so it's irrelevant to begin with.
Apr 2012
You know thinking about it all it will take is a few well place bombs in Mecca to throw the world into another World War.
Dec 18, 2012 4:55 PM

Mar 2011
SSJgoku91 said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
SSJgoku91 said:
Trapalicious said:

Facts you say? Tell me, when did you invent the time machine?

Yes, Muslims are not a race, technically it is not racism, however you are discriminating against a group of people based on their religion. Happy?

Also, it takes one instance where a teacher absent mindedly forgets a gun on a desk and a kids plays around with it for there to be a serious accident. Considering the number of teachers in America, even if there was only a 0.001% chance that any given time a teacher left a room he'd forget the gun in there with the kids, you'd still end up with several guns left unattended every month.

A
Dec 18, 2012 4:57 PM

Jun 2009
SSJgoku91 said:

Dec 18, 2012 4:58 PM

Nov 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:

Not a guarantee, that's just one scenario that's likely to play out. Another is that as WW2 fades from memory Europeans will finally grow some balls, acknowledge that they are not compatible with their society, and have them relocated to other lands. Another (but probably unlikely) is that they'll largely become atheist like the rest of the population and be willing to adopt local customs and traditions, if that happens alls well but I'm not counting on it.
Dec 18, 2012 5:00 PM

Apr 2012
Trapalicious said:

Is this some kind of meme now?
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Dec 18, 2012 5:01 PM

Jun 2009
BloodRequiem said:

No, I just find reading his posts along with his profile picture to be funny.
Dec 18, 2012 5:01 PM

Apr 2012
Trapalicious said:
BloodRequiem said:
Trapalicious said:

That's his profile pic? Well now it all makes sense.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Dec 18, 2012 5:02 PM

Nov 2012
Trapalicious said:
BloodRequiem said:

Yet probably know nothing about what the flag represents.
Dec 18, 2012 5:03 PM

Sep 2012
BloodRequiem said:
Trapalicious said:
BloodRequiem said:
Trapalicious said:

Dude, if that's your profile pic, you pretty much lose any argument that has anything to do with civil issues.
Dec 18, 2012 5:03 PM

Oct 2012
Let's ban murder in general then.

Have fun!

....oh wait.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 18, 2012 5:05 PM

Nov 2012
Red_Keys said:
BloodRequiem said:
Trapalicious said:
BloodRequiem said:
Trapalicious said:

Dude, if that's your profile pic, you pretty much lose any argument that has anything to do with civil issues.

You've been brainwashed by public education.
Dec 18, 2012 5:09 PM

Mar 2012
Obviously this dude is racist. Obviously. Muslim is not a race, but that's not how this works. People aren't against Islam in and of itself, they are against more people who fit their definition of Muslim, more people that "look like terrorists".
LoneWolf said:
Dec 18, 2012 5:10 PM

Sep 2012
SSJgoku91 said:
Maybe.

I know that the Confederacy wasn't only about slavery, and doesn't automatically make you racist and ignorant. It was more about being more individualistic state-wise. They believed that the federal government had too much power over the states, and that is what the war was about. Slavery/racism was actually pretty minor.

But I'm just saying that it is hard to take you seriously.
Dec 18, 2012 5:11 PM

Mar 2012
I should change my profile picture to this:
LoneWolf said:
Dec 18, 2012 5:12 PM

Nov 2012
Post-Josh said:
This dude just had to be a racist too, had to be. Muslim is not a race, but that's not how this works. People aren't against Islam in and of itself, they are against more people who fit their definition of Muslim, more people that "look like terrorists".

Except I'm not a racist. I can't think of one other group that has as much trouble integrating into new societies as these people, and it's the same situation wherever they go be it Europe, Asia, North America.
Dec 18, 2012 5:15 PM

Nov 2012
Red_Keys said:
SSJgoku91 said:
Maybe.

I know that the Confederacy wasn't only about slavery, and doesn't automatically make you racist and ignorant. It was more about being more individualistic state-wise. They believed that the federal government had too much power over the states, and that is what the war was about. Slavery/racism was actually pretty minor.

But I'm just saying that it is hard to take you seriously.

I don't see what the problem is then. Most people posting my profile pic probably just think it means I hate black people or something. Makes me wonder if they think these guys hate black people too

Dec 18, 2012 5:19 PM

Feb 2005
Tavor said:

Have fun!

....oh wait.
Yea, sadly, it's been illegal since 1866
Dec 18, 2012 5:21 PM
Apr 2012
We sure have ventured far from our topic of gun control.
Dec 18, 2012 5:21 PM

Mar 2012
As for your picture, it's extremely possible to be self-hating. It's also extremely possible to be uneducated.

SSJgoku91 said:
Except I'm not a racist. I can't think of one other group that has as much trouble integrating into new societies as these people, and it's the same situation wherever they go be it Europe, Asia, North America.
Even if we simply racism into a yes or no question, which is an absurd oversimplification, you're still a "yes". You claim that an entire religious group are terrorists, you call them "these people" and "they" (as if they are all identical), and you make incorrect assumptions about Muslims all over the world not adapting to other cultures just as well as anyone else. Unless by "trouble integrating" you mean racists (especially in the US) having a hard time accepting them, in which case I would agree.
JoshDec 18, 2012 5:24 PM
LoneWolf said:
Dec 18, 2012 5:22 PM

Apr 2012
Baman said:
Tavor said:

Have fun!

....oh wait.
Yea, sadly, it's been illegal since 1866

Seems legit.
Dec 18, 2012 5:28 PM

Nov 2012
Post-Josh said:
Unless by "trouble integrating" you mean racists (especially in the US) having a hard time accepting them, in which case I would agree.

I don't. Everywhere they go, people want them out. Even Buddhist monks in Burma want them kicked out of their country, and it's no surprise. Everywhere they go they completely disregard local customs, making no attempt to adapt whatsoever, and will threaten things like terrorist attacks or even taking over the country when people call them out on it. Asians don't seem to have any trouble adapting to European/American societies, why can't muslims?
Dec 18, 2012 5:29 PM

Mar 2011
SSJgoku91 said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

Not a guarantee, that's just one scenario that's likely to play out. Another is that as WW2 fades from memory Europeans will finally grow some balls, acknowledge that they are not compatible with their society, and have them relocated to other lands. Another (but probably unlikely) is that they'll largely become atheist like the rest of the population and be willing to adopt local customs and traditions, if that happens alls well but I'm not counting on it.

Another scenario is that they integrate into society and eventually we all come to accept one another.

Isn't my one so much more poetic?
Dec 18, 2012 5:31 PM

Nov 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
SSJgoku91 said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

Another scenario is that they integrate into society and eventually we all come to accept one another.

That's about the same as one I listed.
Dec 18, 2012 5:33 PM

Mar 2011
SSJgoku91 said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
SSJgoku91 said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

That's about the same as one I listed.

Well, you see, you think that but it's not really. What you said is that they will change to fit our society in all regards, what I said is that they will integrate, so they will follow many of our customs, but they will keep their religion, and we shall accept them for being Muslim, and they shall accept us for being heretics. Sweet isn't it?
Dec 18, 2012 5:35 PM

Mar 2012
SSJgoku91, acquire some education on racism. I don't know what else to say.
LoneWolf said:
Dec 18, 2012 5:37 PM

Nov 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:

Well, you see, you think that but it's not really. What you said is that they will change to fit our society in all regards, what I said is that they will integrate, so they will follow many of our customs, but they will keep their religion, and we shall accept them for being Muslim, and they shall accept us for being heretics. Sweet isn't it?

Islam in it's current form, is not compatible with our societies. The only way they could integrate while keeping their religion is for most of them to take up a 'watered-down' version of Islam, not unlike the current situation with most modern Christians. Where they only follow aspects of their choosing and ignore the rest.
Dec 18, 2012 5:38 PM

Nov 2012
Post-Josh said:
SSJgoku91, acquire some education on racism. I don't know what else to say.
Right back at ya.
Dec 18, 2012 5:39 PM

Mar 2011
SSJgoku91 said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

Islam in it's current form, is not compatible with our societies. The only way they could integrate while keeping their religion is for most of them to take up a 'watered-down' version of Islam, not unlike the current situation with most modern Christians. Where they only follow aspects of their choosing and ignore the rest.

There is not one correct way of Islam, it is open to interpretation much like every other religion based on a holy book. They may choose take a different interpretation. In any case, many of their customs are impractical, but they are not impossible .
Dec 18, 2012 5:42 PM

Oct 2012
*Makes thread about gun control*
>turns into a discussion about Muslims.

*Makes thread about Muslims*
I wonder what the result of that would be.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 18, 2012 5:45 PM

Sep 2012
Tavor said:

The quality of public transportation?
Dec 18, 2012 5:45 PM

Apr 2012
Tavor said:

Whether or not Islamic gun users should be allowed to eat transsexual pork.
Dec 18, 2012 5:46 PM

Sep 2012
BloodRequiem said:
Tavor said:

Whether or not Islamic gun users should be allowed to eat transsexual pork.
lol I like that one better.

Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Yesterday

18 by DesuMaiden »»
27 seconds ago

» What jobs do you all have? ( 1 2 )

AnxiousMike - Feb 11, 2023

81 by DesuMaiden »»
1 minute ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

316 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

25 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago

» whats your shoe size ?

sussybakagirl420 - Mar 22

24 by Spunkert »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.