Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2012 6:31 PM
Apr 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.

Mod Edit: It seems like this thread was accidentally made for the wrong episode.
anime-primeOct 8, 2020 1:46 AM
Apr 5, 2014 4:00 AM

Dec 2012
The children got their asses saved again, this time by Whamon. Now we can hope that all their Digimon can get a good rest. Looks like their exhaustion finally kicked in after those consecutive evolutions.
Jun 16, 2016 9:10 AM

Feb 2013
MetalSeadramon is too strong.
Jan 29, 2017 2:53 PM

Dec 2010
Scorpion-mon was quite funny, yet retarded.

And Zudomon is a meanie, he just grabbed poor Scorpion-mon and left him to burn.
Apr 1, 2018 6:51 PM

Apr 2017
that scorpion digimon is seriously slow and dumb
Metalseadramon should have chosen someone more reliable from his army
--------
Aug 12, 2018 7:39 AM
Mar 2018
This episode was pretty mediocre. Not much really happened except for a few nice action scenes. There wasn't really anything in the way of a good story.

I love MetalSeadramon's dub voice though. It's Really hammy
Mar 22, 2020 7:34 PM

May 2008
I think this episode shows that there's no scale or reasoning to powers nor how battles are determined in Digimon.
Why can they suddenly defeat Shellmon as Childs? Dunno.
What made Anomalocarimon stronger that he needed Perfects to knock out (not even kill)? Dunno.
Why does being dropped onto the sandy beach equal a death blow over burning? Dunno.
What can a sea digimon use fire moves? Dunno.

They just win or lose with no rhyme nor reason other than "plot". Makes me sad.
Jun 1, 2020 11:21 AM

Apr 2014
Sakarii said:
I think this episode shows that there's no scale or reasoning to powers nor how battles are determined in Digimon.

I thought it made perfect sense

Why can they suddenly defeat Shellmon as Childs? Dunno.

Their Digimon got stronger throughout the series. Do you think all of that fighting practice would NOT help them get stronger?

What made Anomalocarimon stronger that he needed Perfects to knock out (not even kill)? Dunno.

To start off with, he's perfect level. "But didn't a bunch of child levels beat an adult level earlier on?" Yes...but Anomalocarimon is a minion of Metalseadramon, while Shellmon is just a wild Digimon. It makes sense that adult levels can't beat him, even if he's an idiot.

Why does being dropped onto the sandy beach equal a death blow over burning? Dunno.

That part WAS a bit weird, I think it would have made more sense for MetalSeadramon to throw Anomalocarimon to the ground. But think about it this way - Anomalocarimon was just defeated by some perfect levels, followed by being lit on fire...he was probably pretty weak at that point, so all it took was a drop from the sky to finish him off.

What can a sea digimon use fire moves? Dunno.

It's a metal sea serpent with a cannon as a head. Fire-breathing wouldn't have made as much sense for Seadramon or MegaSeadramon, but here I think it's fine.

They just win or lose with no rhyme nor reason other than "plot". Makes me sad.

I think they've done a pretty good job, honestly. Up until now, it pretty much only took being on the appropriate evolutionary level to win. But Piemon's statement in the previous episode about how they just gained their Ultimate-level powers and the fact that child levels were able to defeat adult levels makes it feel a bit less arbitrary. I'm glad that it's starting to take more than just "gaining the next evolutionary level" to win a battle.

What I really don't understand is why the Dark Masters are fighting the children one at a time, when in the previous episode it shows that together they could easily overwhelm the children.

Anyways, while I did enjoy Anomalocarimon's antics, this episode was pretty boring. This felt like a return to the earlier episodes of Digimon, which is pretty disappointing after the incredible Vamdemon/Myotismon arc.
Jun 1, 2020 6:33 PM

May 2008
EpsilonX said:

That's because you patched in your own headcanon to make it work. Which, great, that's a good skill to have. But, I'm looking at what's given and I'm having trouble figuring out the method on how fights are determined.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot. *shrugs* Wouldn't be the first time I didn't put two and two together.

Their Digimon got stronger throughout the series. Do you think all of that fighting practice would NOT help them get stronger?

It would if there was a power scale to begin with. Or a way to determine "strong" from "weak" but all there is is the levels and even those tend to be vague as shown with every single boss fight. That's my gripe. The digimon should be getting stronger but how much is natural growth and how much is artificial? It's impossible to tell because there isn't a way TO tell. That we're told they've gotten stronger just because they could beat Shellmon suggests, to me, that there's some logic, or was going to be, but it never got developed or made it in.

To start off with, he's perfect level. "But didn't a bunch of child levels beat an adult level earlier on?" Yes...but Anomalocarimon is a minion of Metalseadramon, while Shellmon is just a wild Digimon. It makes sense that adult levels can't beat him, even if he's an idiot.

All digimon are wild, unless they have a partner.
Simply being minion doesn't cut it; we've seen minions that are piss easy to defeat, after all.

The purpose of Shellmon is to show that the digimon have gotten stronger at base level, suggesting there's more dimensions than levels. The problem is that Anomalocarimon and other episodes forego that bit of writing - it's not new, it pops up in the Piccolomon episode but it's repeatedly dropped as soon as it appears. If Anomalocarimon is meant to be that much stronger than Shellmon, the narrative should have addressed it even if it never got expanded on.

What, exactly, makes Anomalocarimon stronger than Shellmon or the partner digimon is my question.

That part WAS a bit weird, I think it would have made more sense for MetalSeadramon to throw Anomalocarimon to the ground. But think about it this way - Anomalocarimon was just defeated by some perfect levels, followed by being lit on fire...he was probably pretty weak at that point, so all it took was a drop from the sky to finish him off.

I guess so. Still feels dumb; burning him should have been enough, imo.

It's a metal sea serpent with a cannon as a head. Fire-breathing wouldn't have made as much sense for Seadramon or MegaSeadramon, but here I think it's fine.

None that equals fire though. Even the cannon is more energy than fire... But my annoyance mostly came from that there's waaay too many digimon that are fire based and very few are water based. So for the digimon to be the boss of the sea to use fire... It's like "why?"; it makes no logical sense when he could have a killer water move.

I think they've done a pretty good job, honestly. Up until now, it pretty much only took being on the appropriate evolutionary level to win. But Piemon's statement in the previous episode about how they just gained their Ultimate-level powers and the fact that child levels were able to defeat adult levels makes it feel a bit less arbitrary. I'm glad that it's starting to take more than just "gaining the next evolutionary level" to win a battle.

What I really don't understand is why the Dark Masters are fighting the children one at a time, when in the previous episode it shows that together they could easily overwhelm the children.

Incorrect. Vamdemon was easily overwhelming their Perfect levels despite him being one himself. The only reason they ever won is because he had a weakness to angels, which is to just justify Angewomon getting the kill. Devimon and Piemon are the exact same but with Patamon's evolutions.

Piemon's statement is meaningless. See second quote.

Plot. The villains themselves don't really matter at large, but rather what they can do for the children's development. And since no development can happenswhen they're together, plot demands they be separated and defeated one by one. Also makes it easier on the animators, heh.

anime-primeOct 8, 2020 1:59 AM
Jun 1, 2020 8:05 PM

Apr 2014
Sakarii said:
EpsilonX said:

That's because you patched in your own headcanon to make it work. Which, great, that's a good skill to have. But, I'm looking at what's given and I'm having trouble figuring out the method on how fights are determined.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot. *shrugs* Wouldn't be the first time I didn't put two and two together.

It would if there was a power scale to begin with. Or a way to determine "strong" from "weak" but all there is is the levels and even those tend to be vague as shown with every single boss fight. That's my gripe. The digimon should be getting stronger but how much is natural growth and how much is artificial? It's impossible to tell because there isn't a way TO tell. That we're told they've gotten stronger just because they could beat Shellmon suggests, to me, that there's some logic, or was going to be, but it never got developed or made it in.

All digimon are wild, unless they have a partner.
Simply being minion doesn't cut it; we've seen minions that are piss easy to defeat, after all.

The purpose of Shellmon is to show that the digimon have gotten stronger at base level, suggesting there's more dimensions than levels. The problem is that Anomalocarimon and other episodes forego that bit of writing - it's not new, it pops up in the Piccolomon episode but it's repeatedly dropped as soon as it appears. If Anomalocarimon is meant to be that much stronger than Shellmon, the narrative should have addressed it even if it never got expanded on.

What, exactly, makes Anomalocarimon stronger than Shellmon or the partner digimon is my question.

I guess so. Still feels dumb; burning him should have been enough, imo.

None that equals fire though. Even the cannon is more energy than fire... But my annoyance mostly came from that there's waaay too many digimon that are fire based and very few are water based. So for the digimon to be the boss of the sea to use fire... It's like "why?"; it makes no logical sense when he could have a killer water move.

Incorrect. Vamdemon was easily overwhelming their Perfect levels despite him being one himself. The only reason they ever won is because he had a weakness to angels, which is to just justify Angewomon getting the kill. Devimon and Piemon are the exact same but with Patamon's evolutions.

Piemon's statement is meaningless. See second quote.

Plot. The villains themselves don't really matter at large, but rather what they can do for the children's development. And since no development can happenswhen they're together, plot demands they be separated and defeated one by one. Also makes it easier on the animators, heh.

I mean....I see what you're saying. Now that you put it that way, the Shellmon thing does seem a bit weird when immediately after they have the same amount of trouble with an enemy as they usually do. I guess I don't expect a series like this to be too strict, and am okay with a certain level of inconsistency, as long as it's not TOO inconsistent, and Digimon, to me, is at least "close enough." So for all of my answers, my logic was "it's not that much of a stretch because...." rather than "this is the explicit reason why," which seems to be what you were looking for.

anime-primeOct 8, 2020 2:01 AM
Jun 1, 2020 11:05 PM

May 2008
EpsilonX said:
I mean....I see what you're saying. Now that you put it that way, the Shellmon thing does seem a bit weird when immediately after they have the same amount of trouble with an enemy as they usually do. I guess I don't expect a series like this to be too strict, and am okay with a certain level of inconsistency, as long as it's not TOO inconsistent, and Digimon, to me, is at least "close enough." So for all of my answers, my logic was "it's not that much of a stretch because...." rather than "this is the explicit reason why," which seems to be what you were looking for.

And that's fine. I've seen this season about five times and am getting cynical that I can't not deconstruct it, haha. Hope you continue enjoying this season!
Jun 3, 2020 12:37 AM

Apr 2014
Sakarii said:
EpsilonX said:

And that's fine. I've seen this season about five times and am getting cynical that I can't not deconstruct it, haha. Hope you continue enjoying this season!

Yeah, I watched a few episodes here and there (mostly the vamdemon/myotismon and dark masters arcs) but this is my first time through it. I will say that the last 3 or so episodes made me feel like they completely stopped trying to have balance lol
Oct 8, 2020 1:54 AM

Dec 2012
The booths. Dat flashback.
Somethings drowning.
Its Shellmon!
Dat theme. Group shinka.
Marching fishes!
Shellmon ran from Child digimon. smh
Dat hut.
They fell for an obvious trap.
Anomalocarimon. Perfect.
They got sand'd.
MetalSeadramon.
lol at them tired from running.
He went underground.
Dat theme. Togemon. Ikkakumon.
Dat theme. Lilimon. Zudomon.
lol Anomalocarimon got burned.
No excuses. Dat fall.
MetalSeadramon knocked them into the water.
Whamon! He saved them.
Dat ending.

You would think by now that they wouldn't get tricked so easily. Also, how the hell did Shellmon not kill them in the water? He had them looking like they were on a professional canoe team.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Feb 16, 2021 4:46 PM

Jul 2013
Someone in the production team must really like Sakurai Takahiro's voice huh. This is like, what, his 5th or 6th role now?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 6 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 6, 2010

15 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 5 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

17 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 4 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 3 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 2 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 3, 2010

18 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.