Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 26, 2012 7:22 AM
May 2010
So, how many of you do it? Playing a VN while watching the anime adapted from it, that is (Clannad, Kanon, F/SN, etc.). It can be a tedious task, and sometimes it would ruin the experience with the inferiority of the anime (Tsukihime, School Days). Nevertheless, with some VNs, the experience is greatly boosted and enhanced.

This is especially true for me because, I'm not a fan of watching the same screen filled with a huge chunk of words for several hours. With the anime playing right beside the VN in Window Mode, it makes things more lively with the cool animation and stuff. That is to say, this is not a comparison between the quality of an anime and a visual novel. Rather, this is to say that playing the VN while watching the anime alongside it brings a more enriching experience... for me, anyway. :)

Currently, I'm trying to do so with Kanon, but I found that doing so with Clannad was MUCH easier, as the anime was practically a direct adaptation of the VN with little change in dialogues. The 2006 Kanon anime had several changes in dialogues and the sequence of events and the time when such events occur.

But what about you? Do you do the same thing, or interested in doing so?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 26, 2012 8:25 AM

Sep 2009
That's something new. O_o

How is that even possible? With the only somewhat good anime adaptation that I know (Kanon 2006), one episode = an hour or so reading time. Also, keeping the right order is nearly impossible - common route takes up a good portion of the VN before the story branches into character's routes. The anime on the other hand, quickly jumps onto specific routes and mixes fragments of common route along the whole series. Something like that can be done with linear titles, but with multi-route VNs?
And the actually watchable Kanon is a rare exception, with something like Chaos;Head or Umineko, one episode = a few hours of reading, so there's no way to watch that simultaneously.

As for me, that's obviously not my thing, as I prefer VNs as a medium (I like walls of text ^^). I usually don't touch anime adaptations at all, most of them are unwatchable anyway so it's a waste of time. If they are just short add-ons to the original, with animated battles (Unlimited Blade Works), animeted H-scenes (Yosuga no Sora), or animated Kud (Little Busters), I may consider watching them, but only after finishing the VN, not simultaneously. :P
Oct 26, 2012 8:53 AM
May 2010
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of casually frequenting the anime scenes that you are 'reading' from time to time. Not to say that this activity requires definite synchronization of any kind between the anime and the VN, just to the extent that the anime scenes serve as a companion, if you will, to let you frequent the scenes that you have came across as you read the VN. In that sense, it feels like an enriching and wholesome experience for me. :P
Oct 29, 2012 5:19 PM

Oct 2010
Higurashi is really good for an anime adaptation. But that might be because i watched the anime first. The VN is good as well, but sometimes it seems longer than it needs to be.

On another note. Couple weeks ago i was playing Little Busters when the first episode of the anime came out. I watched the episode and then went back to the game. A battle scene came up and i was like: "wha...??? i thought i was watching the anime???" no, Atikal, you are playing the game. Get it together.
Btw, This (above) was at a 11 at night and i was super sleepy. :P
Feb 11, 2013 3:51 AM
Dec 2012
Frequently being told to quit watching Little Busters! if I'm considering the VN
Feb 11, 2013 9:16 AM

Nov 2007
vnintro said:
Frequently being told to quit watching Little Busters! if I'm considering the VN

They're right. Stop it.
Feb 12, 2013 10:24 AM

Jun 2009
I tried doing this with F/SN....it made me dislike the adaptation even more.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 12, 2013 11:44 AM

Apr 2012
insan3soldiern said:
I tried doing this with F/SN....it made me dislike the adaptation even more.
It doesn't matter whether you experience the VN or anime first. Once you've played the F/SN VN you can't really like the anime because you know what it could have been.
Feb 13, 2013 6:41 AM

Aug 2010
i can t play f/SN...
the h-scenes arn t voiced...
Feb 13, 2013 6:57 AM

Nov 2007
If you can't play for plot, then at least play for heroines.
Stick to pure H and you'll never get a waifu.
Feb 13, 2013 8:27 AM

Aug 2010
i play for the heroine, :p but i feel bad if no good H ^_^
Feb 13, 2013 8:47 AM

Nov 2007
I heard you can fap to anything. I guess they overestimated you.
I am disappoint.

[/offtopic]
Feb 19, 2013 12:45 AM

Aug 2010
:p be able to fap to anything is another thing: but to be satisfied after the fap is the main issue ;)
Mar 27, 2013 6:37 PM

Feb 2012
when i watched the anime series of Umineko i played a lot the fighting game Ougon Musou Kyoku based on the visual novel, it was a very amusing experience XD
Mar 30, 2013 8:29 AM

Mar 2013
I watched Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni anime while playing its VN! ^_^
--CHOTTO! It's Under Progress--
Apr 1, 2013 12:07 AM

Apr 2012
i watched steins gate while playing the vn! ^_^

it wasn't a bad experience, i put more priority on the vn than the anime. It allowed me to compare between the two and find out some interesting plot holes in the steins gate anime Oo
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Top 5 VNs ( 1 2 3 )

AltriaPendragon - Jun 2, 2013

120 by Fischer77 »»
Jan 28, 2023 5:49 PM

» Top 10 Heroines from all the VN's you have read?

Riptos - Jun 23, 2021

1 by UIGodFather »»
Jul 3, 2021 7:19 AM

» What VN are you currently playing? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MayuAsagiri - Dec 17, 2013

434 by removed-user »»
Apr 25, 2021 6:26 AM

» Member Birthday List ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Mar 8, 2011

126 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Apr 23, 2021 4:51 PM

» Visual Novel Data Base Account ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Jan 29, 2011

106 by removed-user »»
Apr 14, 2021 4:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.