Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 10, 2015 5:14 AM

Jan 2012
original story haven't seen something like this b4, ost and music are good overall nice creepy ep especially at end.

Jan 17, 2016 4:54 PM

Mar 2011
All I can say is: Splendid!
Mar 20, 2016 2:28 AM

Mar 2015
Such an interesting premise. For an original and a DEEN production, this looks promising.

I'm really irritated with that girl in the beginning, but I'm glad she got killed.

So I guess this will be a one-off character focus and being saved by Ai.

Mar 22, 2016 9:28 AM
Mar 2016
So sad!!
But I love the concept, it reminds me of our life on earth like people who sin are lost in hell and they keep on living knowing they can't be saved anymore!
Really interesting, I just hoped the first season could revolve around mayumi to show us how she keep on living and the school reaction after that other girl's death
Apr 18, 2016 1:12 PM
Jul 2014
Hm, it reminds me on Death Parade - only here the justice is brought when alive but the outcome is always Hell. I don't like that - after watching first two episodes both girls were innocent yet their soul will go to hell...
Apr 18, 2016 4:45 PM
Apr 2016
This makes me thank the real God. So satisfied that He does not judge like this:p
Apr 27, 2016 1:43 PM

Feb 2015
Sigh, I can never get used to bullying.

Man, when she said "Care to give death a try?" craazy...

Good first episode, will binge if the next few are great as well.
Apr 28, 2016 1:08 AM

Feb 2013
Pretty boring episode. Sure bullying is a thing, but not very interesting over an episode-length. While the girls were mean, that doesn't not mean that the lead girl isn't a coward too. I mean sentencing bullies to death even with personal costs instead of simply refusing to follow their orders? That's a clear coward. But besides morality in question, episode was just boring.
Sep 17, 2016 4:27 PM

Mar 2012
Forgot how much I love the ED :)

I doubt anyone would like to be put in a situation where they'd have to settle with going to hell when they die because of someone making their lives unbearable :( I feel bad for her but she should've just put aside the guilt of stealing money from her parents, due to being blackmailed by bullies, and told them what the situation was.

iDensity said:
Sigh, I can never get used to bullying.

It boggles my mind how a person, especially children/teens, could gain joy out of making someone else miserable. Especially since they tend to target innocent/timid kids who they know won't try to get help from an adult if they threaten to worsen the bullying.
Oct 30, 2016 10:20 AM
Jul 2016
Looks like it's going to be a different story each episode. I hope it doesn't get too repetitive.
Dec 23, 2016 4:12 AM

Sep 2013
Really enjoyable first episode. I hope it doesn't fall into a routine. It seems like it would be very easy for the show to have basically the same plot every episode just with different characters.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 10, 2017 5:11 PM

Oct 2016
Decided to watch this after Death Parade.... was not sure what to expect from this. I was not disappointed. The idea of striking a deal for someone to go to hell if your story is interesting enough for Ai is a nice touch. Oh yeah, and you will end up in hell as well. Doesn't sound like a good trade in most cases.... And Ai Enma is scary-cute, which is nice.

At some point I was yelling at the screen that I was going to pull of the red ribbon for Mayumi and would go to hell for her...... yeah, not my proudest moment. I guess I just hate bullies a lot and sympathized with Mayumi.

I do indeed hope this won't turn out to be 26 episodes of the same type of stories. I want to see who Ai is/was and what her story is. We will see.
Feb 22, 2017 9:41 AM

Apr 2009
I remember watching this show on Animax.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 26, 2017 7:31 AM
Jul 2018
Wow this was awesome

That bitch so deserved it
Mar 25, 2017 3:09 PM

Mar 2015
I hope the whole series doesn't look like this, because I absolutely can't stand bullying and people who can't stand up to it. If it departs from that route, it can get pretty interesting.
Apr 30, 2017 6:30 AM

Oct 2015
Internet Explorer was enough to scare me XD but seriously those girls are scum
May 24, 2017 7:44 AM

May 2015
Take this you bitch! She deserved that!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 27, 2017 6:27 PM

Jun 2016
Good episode, lets see how it goes..
Jun 8, 2017 10:58 AM

Jan 2015
Very great start. i already felt i'm gonna give it a 10 and its the best anime i've seen ??? Season 4 is coming up for summer so i'm catching up on previous seasons...
Storywise... that bullying was way too harsh the antagonist girl is was too cruel. I like Ai's team, they are really cool...
Protagonist basically had no choice but to call hell girl tho at least now she is not pressured from bullying or wants to kill herself.
10/10
Jun 22, 2017 9:16 AM

May 2016
Lol, if I were Mayumi, I would have punched that bitch's face instead of giving up my soul and having to go to hell later xD
Jul 19, 2017 1:41 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Love it so far, really great episode. Can´t see 4 seasons in here, but I am sure there will be a lot more background coming up

Oct 30, 2017 2:25 AM

Sep 2012
what i heard it actually has a plot that comes later until ep 14 or 16 the anime is like this, each ep one story, mane plot here is about AI, her past so it has a slight mystery

s2 mane plot is about her companions past how they all became her companions

3th season has its own mane plot to that comes later like this season, but like was said in that explanation, can't say more without spoiling the story, it would give to bi of a hint & ruin the mystery

Edit is start slowly at ep 8, plot i mean
Sugram22Oct 30, 2017 9:07 AM
Oct 30, 2017 3:16 AM

Sep 2012
KillthisAccount said:
Rather bland episode, aside from Ai and the boat to hell. I really don't see how this has three seasons, but I shall continue on... hopefully it gets better.

at one point each season starts to show mane plot
Apr 10, 2018 12:14 AM

Sep 2017
I can't begin with the brilliance of the series. The bitch really deserved it. And although the main girl goes to hell, it is really happy to see her happy and come to terms with her fate. And I see that the other 2 girls also went to hell. Those bitches deserved it. I hate bullies like those people.

This series looks promising. Also, "Care to give death a try?" . At least Studio DEEN had good standards when it came to concepts like these.
JeremiahOrangeApr 10, 2018 12:17 AM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Jun 13, 2019 9:34 AM

Sep 2012
Bayek said:
It seems like an interesting idea, but I'm not completely sold yet. This first situation felt a bit tame to warrant bringing about eternal suffering but I'm at least curious to see more. One thing that makes this extremely brutal is how Mayumi gets to keep living. She's going to be constantly reminded of what she's done and the price she's paid (more than 100,000 yen!) until the day she dies.

Additionally, despite that bully being a complete bitch I just don't think death and eternal damnation is a fitting punishment. Which actually brings me to a more interesting perspective and question - how far will they have to go for me to send the person off to hell with a smile.

we humans are weak creatures in a way and if putbin this situation when we are emotional any1 would pull the string cause emotional ppl do not think clearly and this is easier the pulling a trigger on a gun yea u know what's goanna happen but at the moment u don't care cause its not like u get arrested for using supernatural stuff, that's why i believe any1 would do it cause that's what we all are like

re-watchin, main plit is near end, awry ep new story to build up to finalle and to give ppl something to think like what ever its right or wrong and so on and on, but after seeing all i say there is no right nor wrong its just messed up

but i would be 1of her companions, if it were real and felt like i had to use her i would ask her if instead of hell i pay with serving u, i wouldn't mind becoming supernatural being like them

thing is she is also in oain deep inside and she has gone against rules 2 or 3 times to save some1 cause they were innocent person and one was basically ghost, strong ghost with potential to become demon if chosen wrong path

Sugram22Apr 11, 2021 10:28 AM
Jun 13, 2019 9:37 AM

Sep 2012
Tengoku_no_hakai said:
I know bullying is wrong and all, but this could have been solved easily if she just told the truth to the teachers and her mother. Also, who entrusts 100k to a middle school girl anyway? Especially in the viper's nest... I mean all-girls school...

this girl would have said she stole it and also considering jap... its not so easy harder then in other places, what i mean its easier said then done soecially in jap
Sep 14, 2019 9:33 PM
Jul 2018
This episode is so wrong in so many level.. the power is very questionable like the victim based on the name written but what if there is multiple people with same name? Kills all huh?

Also most importantly the color design looks way too bright that feels extremely unfitting and corny dialogue makes it worse. Very bad start.
Nov 23, 2019 1:10 PM

Jul 2008
So how much do you hate your bullies?
Nov 26, 2020 9:50 PM
Oct 2013
First thing that struck me was the unnecessary amount of clothing sounds, like rustling.
Dec 27, 2020 4:06 PM

Mar 2019
Changing the theme from Saiki to Jigoku Shoujo which has a great 1st episode and a synopsis. I'm enjoying this, especially the animation, feels old while also nostalgic (brings back memories). I'm interested as to what's going to happen in this. Is Hell Girl an episodic anime because that's what Im seeing from the preview for the 2nd episode.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Dec 30, 2020 1:55 PM

Jul 2008
This was pretty weak. The whole surreal part especially was very tame and predictable, nothing shocking. Also, it didn't feel like the situation got so bad that it was deserved. Suffer one year or two of middle school or hell for eternity? Or does this anime have different version of hell?
Apr 11, 2021 10:35 AM

Sep 2012
u lack understanding Ero-Camel also u lack of understanding how Jap is with this things, also when u feel this trapped ur almost ready to kill but offer alt like this and they wouldn't hesitate to untie the red string, in jap for ppl rep is ferry important social rules are more strict about it

so its weak cause u lack of understanding, maybe ur life has been 2good or simple or ur just not mature enough or maybe watching psychological stuff has taught me bit human psychology

but again some ppl don't get it unless they have been in similar situation where they feel so trapped that they don't see way out that they see only 2options, that only 2options are kill or suicide
Sugram22Apr 11, 2021 11:37 AM
May 14, 2021 6:12 AM
Apr 2021
It's clearly obvious that Aya stole the money for in the first place, how can she has that big money for just going to school. I mean it's really not the usual thing to bring that big amount for money.

5/5
May 17, 2021 3:36 AM
Apr 2021
Poor Mayumi. :(((
Aug 9, 2021 3:37 PM

Apr 2020
Honestly, I didn't know what to really expect from the first episode. After watching it I don't know how this will play out as a 26 episode series (and apparently a 2nd season). Regardless, very enjoyable episode. It's sad Mayumi has to go to hell in exchange for vengeance but it makes sense I guess. Excited to see where this goes.
Oct 26, 2022 12:39 AM
Nov 2019
very interesting idea kinda reminds me of girl from no where also the tall lady with the black hair slays
Oct 31, 2022 6:49 PM

Apr 2015
I imagined a swift swing to the head with a metal pipe could have cleared up the bully girl's head. Then again, it could be a terminal case.
Nov 11, 2022 10:10 AM
Dec 2017
its a pretty decent start so far.

Nov 28, 2022 2:54 PM

Oct 2013
That was pretty nice. I liked that interesting concept
"We brawlers are sustained by willpower! Even when mocked as reckless and crazy!"
Mar 28, 2023 6:19 PM
Community Mod
💧Focalors💧

Mar 2022
Good first episode!! My interest has been piqued!!
Mar 28, 2023 6:23 PM
Dec 2017
KayKimii said:
Trust me fam, it only gets more insane from here!!👺

Great to see you're liking my rec so far. ^^
Disapeared_GhostMar 28, 2023 6:27 PM

Mar 28, 2023 6:32 PM
Community Mod
💧Focalors💧

Mar 2022
Crow_Black said:
KayKimii said:
Trust me fam, it only gets more insane from here!!👺

Great to see you're liking my rec so far. ^^
I'm looking forward to it!!
Mar 29, 2023 1:46 AM
Jan 2023
Nice, episode...
Jan 11, 1:56 PM
May 2018
interesting!!!!
Feb 5, 6:11 PM

Feb 2023
This is the most early 2000s thing I've seen since Tokyo Drift and I love it...lol. Might wanna use a VPN to go on that sketchy website there, girl.
Also, is it just me or does Hell Girl seem pretty chill? Like she'd be a cool friend to hang out with. idk
Feb 29, 9:58 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to TowardsTheStars
It was alright. Not a big fan of the art, but Hell Girl looks pretty good though.

Episode was meh and I wasn't creeped out at all, but the trippy school scene was cool.
May continue this, but the preview makes it seem like it's episodic. Not a big fan of episodic anime.
@TowardsTheStars agree 100% it wasn’t particularly engaging, gonna drop
Mar 14, 1:51 PM

Jun 2020
As I see some people thinking the bullies was not that cruel to deserve it but I think it change when you think about age of Mayumi and her perspective how old she is at most 14 I guess and she can lose her future because of one girl. She gets blame for being seeing with a older man at night when you think of it it’s was needed to be a man who gets blame but no her future in Denver because of one photo not only that she stills from her family and she can’t tell anything to anyone because she doesn’t have any proof and I really think if you are from certain countries you dont understand the oppression about future Japan one of the countries that has that oppression if you’re not in certain categories you’re nothing in society. When you put all of this in one and that she almost committed a su22ide it’s pretty normal that she is okay with going to hell.

My biggest problem that I kind of interested how people reacted that 3 girls just erased from world and how it’s looking from people who don’t know what happened
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

78 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

sugarplumfairy - Oct 2, 2008

91 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 4:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.