Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2012 4:23 PM

Apr 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Outstanding artwork and designs, really fantastic. It looks a peer of much later anime like Akira at times.

Strong start but as time went on I found the story really lazy. Basically, The Empire Strikes Back came out a year earlier. The story was actually entertaining enough (in an "it's like the first film" kind of way) but really missing something (a reason?). I enjoyed the ride but the lack of direction got frustrating rather than intriguing.
I didn't like how the pirates kept showing up, saving the day and disappearing a second later. Harlock's first showing was when it started to go downhill for me actually. Siren the Witch was a cool idea but again a bit too deus ex machina *action scene*.

Faust was a really awesome character. BUT. His first death could've been a bit more than a damp squib. His motivation isn't revealed until the end, and by then it's obvious he's only there to be Darth Vader minus the personality. The trouble is it's not just him with baffling motivation throughout most the film, it's all the characters. They're just there.

Also, wasn't Maetel supposed to take on another body after the first film? *was confused and expecting a twist*.
Nov 26, 2015 1:21 PM

May 2012
What a totally impressive movie! Really amazing I must say, the whole pacing was superb and with Tetsurou also being older you could really feel the anime had grown up slightly.

I was right about Faust being Tetsurou's father though, it started getting more obvious with the part to why he wanted Tetsurou to also come to the planet.

Quite a sad yet manly ending for his father but boy was it great, and the fact that he was friends with Captain Harlock makes me wonder what connection he had with him in the past and does make it more interesting to the original series to the times Captain Harlock helped Tetsurou!

Talking about Captain Harlock, it was great to see both him and Queen Emeraldas fight side to side to protect the 999 and Tetsurou! That ending shot was just amazing to see all three go out in the universe again!

The ending like the series was quite sad as again Tetsurou and Maetel parted again, but I do hope and actually I know that their paths will cross again in the future!

Really great overall movie with a really amazing story and ending attached to it!
RafaelDeJonghNov 26, 2015 4:39 PM
Nov 16, 2022 1:07 AM

Oct 2010
not the best sequel ever but at least the visuals were cool
Apr 28, 2023 5:42 PM

Jun 2014
So, that man was Tetsurou's father? How did he end up that way? I wonder if we'll ever know.

Once again, Tetsurou and Maetel part ways. Will the two ever see each other again? It seems wrong for those two to be apart.

Another great journey. I can never get enough of this stuff.

Aug 12, 2023 7:48 AM

Jul 2022
Great movie, enjoyed it.

So Faust is Tetsuro's father.
And he was once a good friend of Captian Harlock & Emeraldas. (Hope it will be explained more, and otherwise I hope he would appear in Harlocks story)
This time no 'goodbye for Tetsuro'. Maetel left Tetsuro once again. 
I feel sad for Maetel.

Kind of sad ending. But like they said. If Fate is true. They will meet again.
PS: I laughed at the Conductor who finally showed he's body to (someone) Tetsuro.
Nov 24, 2023 7:34 PM
Mar 2019
It's hard to live up to the main series.
Maybe they didn't need this.
Still good to watch though.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.