Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 18, 2012 7:19 AM

Jan 2012
I hate this show. I just hate that I don't want to talk about it. Except in this thread, where I just want to ask everyone, especially its die-hard since it had been seen by 93327 users, which is a lot. Really lot of them. I just want to know how this show can get so popular to reach that number.

If this show are about rich hostess opened a hostess club in a rich school were most of the students are males and Haruhi is guy, a nerdy loser guy who got lucky to be one of them just because their "leader" thought Haruhi is a girl. I don't want to stretch that out but most of you already got the idea. My bet is it's not going to get any popular since anime fans already seen too much of that(*cough*cough* Love Hina and many of its clones). Just because most people never saw anything like it(especially male viewers). I also don't understand why it got such high scores even from men, who are obviously aren't the target audience of this show.

My guess is people are sexists, both male and female. They only rated this show high because hosts are guys, not girls.
---
Apr 18, 2012 8:29 AM

Aug 2009
Renge always appearing from nowhere, and Tamaki calling Kyouya "Mama" are the reasons I gave it a high rating
Apr 18, 2012 8:35 AM

Jul 2010
NK_500 said:
I also don't understand why it got such high scores even from men, who are obviously aren't the target audience of this show..

I don't understand that either. normally i would think, this is a fujoshi pandering show that's why it's popular and got good rating from a target audience but i don't get why it's so high rated here with those numbers.
Apr 18, 2012 9:19 AM

Nov 2011
That is not sexism, even if gender was the reason.

I personally would have liked it just as much if the genders were reversed; the comedy and drama simply worked for me. There are few (and I can't think of one right now) non-reverse harems where the protagonist is as likable as Haruhi, or just isn't a hormone-driven teenager. And yes, part of the reason may be because it's different. It's popular because of its appeal to both genders more so than the typical harem, and its reach extended to even the most casual anime watchers. Obviously, it doesn't work for everyone, but it does for many. But I think you actually understand the reasons.
Apr 18, 2012 4:42 PM

Mar 2012
I know i would never watch it. If it was a guy crossdressing people think it is absolutely disgusting. If it is a girl crossdressing people think it is cute. And also, uniqueness definately plays a role in its popularity
Apr 21, 2012 1:01 PM

Apr 2011
I agree, if it was harem it wouldn't do as well, considering there are way too many of those already, but this reverse-harem actually did well. It wasn't just relationship crap and love triangles and all that other cliché stuff. It fleshed out characters, gave you time to like or hate someone based on their whole being, and even though there were a few things I didn't like, it made me appreciate it despite its mistakes. And thank god for once the main herione wasn't a complete idiot like most of them are in anime/manga. She is independent and strong, albeit she is dense, but she is much more unique than a lot of other anime ladies out there. Hate it if you want, but you haven't even seen a quarter of it to really give it a chance...
Apr 26, 2012 9:31 AM
Oct 2011
If the hostesses, were all lolitas and dressed in maid uniform it would be extremelly popular... for men.
Jun 1, 2013 1:00 PM
Jul 2012
I bet it would be popular if it has that. I agree to the op.
Jun 1, 2013 1:04 PM

Sep 2012
It seems you only complain because the host characters are men, not women.

Before you call sexism on the viewers, why not try looking into a mirror?

Oh wait, this is over a year old... nevermind..
Jun 1, 2013 1:07 PM

Sep 2011
I like how people are wondering how guys can rate this high.....maybe cause the show is actually entertaining and funny

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 1, 2013 1:15 PM

Jan 2010
Regardless of gender or being hosts or whatever, I liked it because the show was actually funny.

And men, who aren't the target audience of the show, rated it highly due to sexism? I think I misread something. *checks the original post date* Okay, I have no idea.
Jun 1, 2013 1:16 PM

Nov 2010
Red_Keys said:
It seems you only complain because the host characters are men, not women.

Before you call sexism on the viewers, why not try looking into a mirror?

Oh wait, this is over a year old... nevermind..
He does it a lot, look at this sig and any thread involving any anime he brings up fujoshi and other anime like that.

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
I like how people are wondering how guys can rate this high.....maybe cause the show is actually entertaining and funny
Yes it actually was, I was avoiding it because I'm a guy and didn't think that I would enjoy it much. But I did really enjoy it, wouldn't mind a sequel.

Shocked said:

And men, who aren't the target audience of the show, rated it highly due to sexism? I think I misread something.
No you didn't, sadly. That's the way he thinks.
Jun 1, 2013 1:30 PM

Oct 2011
Boohoo, OP ~

Your hate actually made me wanna watch this.
PolychromeJun 1, 2013 1:40 PM
Jun 4, 2013 6:43 AM

Aug 2012
jfc i'll never understand the logic of dudebros? It's like:

Harem anime with waaay too much male gaze and fanservice = WOW YES GOOD WONDERFUL PLOT XD I LOVE MY WAIFU-CHANS HEHE~

Reverse-harem anime (no matter what the content is) = EWWWW FUJOSHI-PANDERING GROSS HOMOS
Feb 9, 2014 10:58 PM

Dec 2011
I thought about it.

A lot of harem anime would have plenty of fanservice. A lot of reverse-harem anime would have a complicated romantic plot.

This one has both, but doesn't really play up either. The fanservice comes off as gag material, and the romance is so subtle you only notice it when it's mentioned. (It doesn't even have any of love's many ugly counter-parts!)

Instead the main themes of this anime focus around friendship and character development. Imagine that? A theme that is beloved and understood by many.

Plus the entire series is comedy gold.

No wonder this anime is popular with both men and women.
Feb 9, 2014 11:04 PM

Jan 2014
Nope. These series is as popular as it is. The target demographic is "shoujo" and I think it had done well.
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Mar 2, 2014 1:16 AM

Jul 2009
Ehh i think it wouldn't even be as popular if the roles are reverse.

There's just something about Haruhi's character and how she interacts with the group really resonates the themes of the series.

Plus Tamaki is funny as hell! especially with Kyoya and Kaoru and their plans!!

Though i do think a more realistic hosts(the one that's happening in Japan right now) would be interesting.

You would see how a Hosts life is being portrayed, how much money do they get, how they interacted with their guests and so on.
Mar 20, 2014 8:09 AM

May 2010
Nah, I don't think it would've been as popular. It would've been but not to this extent, more like 50000 views or something. It being a reverse harem and Haruhi's interactions with all those male while portraying herself as male, are the reasons which make it a unique gem.

Sigh... I miss OHSHC even after 3 years since finishing it...
Mar 20, 2014 1:56 PM

Jul 2013
The anime was awesome.
Jun 18, 2015 11:43 AM
Jun 2015
Andyis said:
I know i would never watch it. If it was a guy crossdressing people think it is absolutely disgusting. If it is a girl crossdressing people think it is cute. And also, uniqueness definately plays a role in its popularity
You seem to forget that Ranken or however you spell it was a crossdressing guy and no one complained.
Jun 18, 2015 12:36 PM
Mar 2012
136_bloodygore said:
The anime was awesome.

^ it was one of the funniest animes I've ever seen! And the characters are so funny and original. They all have their own wonderful story and their own non generic personalities. I wish there was a second season!
Jun 22, 2015 10:16 AM

Jul 2013
The mere fact that something that was clearly designed with fujoshi as it's target audience can make a male, christian, straight viewer, such as myself, burst his sides with laughter is the proof of how good this show actually is.
Jun 23, 2015 9:32 AM
Jun 2015
Personally I think a gender-bend wouldn't change my opinion on the show..

If the hosts were actually rich hostesses fawning over a secretly male nerd that idea might be appealing to both girls and boys ? v(=∩_∩=)フ
Jun 26, 2015 4:17 PM

Mar 2008
Yeah target audience isn't men, but it's not hard to understand why men like this show. Ouran is one of the best of its genre. It's a very funny show with original characters and scenes. Ouran makes fun of many things in a non-offensive way; bishounens, yaoi (twins), otaku, girls obsession in beautiful guys, "reverse harem" itself. Even in some scenes, show breaks the fourth wall.

I love shoujo and reverse harem but I have many guy friends that love Ouran even though they don't have an interest for shoujo genre. And no, none of them are sexist.
Jun 30, 2015 2:47 AM
May 2015
This show is not just about boys and fanservice like alot of other dull harem shows.You got to know that a big part of it revolves about comedy.This show was amazingly entertaining to me and it made me laugh so much.It is a great show and even guys can like it.No problem with that.I am a girl and i hate harem so much and i thought this show will be like any other dull and stupid harems and it proved me wrong.It has so much comedy and it doesn't revolve about obsessed and generic girls loving a weak and a coward male mc that is a pervert and did nothing to deserve love.And there is the reverse harems which contain stupid and weak girl mc which is being controlled by nice looking boys and has cliche love relationships too.I hate them.But here the female mc is likeable and not stupid and boring like other harem mc's.Amazing and funny characters,great plot,funny scenes,beautiful ost,alot of comedy and i never get bored.I really liked how they talked about bishounens,yaoi,and how girls love beautiful guys and delt with those topics in a funny way.They even talked about reverse harems too.Really worth watching.You ,by making this thread, are the sexiest one.This show is beautiful in its own way and it's fine as it is.
-______m-Jun 30, 2015 2:58 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kenkei - Sep 9, 2008

67 by Kreikka95 »»
May 7, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Jun 6, 2008

72 by Kreikka95 »»
May 1, 10:08 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Jun 1, 2008

65 by Kreikka95 »»
Apr 30, 4:21 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

theeggman85 - Nov 15, 2008

62 by starrydrop »»
Apr 13, 8:00 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 17 Discussion

shinigami034 - Nov 16, 2008

43 by turbo_sloppy »»
Apr 9, 11:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.