Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 2, 2012 4:34 PM

Jan 2012
Disappointing, I don't even want to watch the second episode. I liked Hiko though.

soru-soru said:
fearlubu said:
soru-soru said:

The fighting scene, S*CK."

why censor suck? lest im missing something

SUCK and SICK at the same time. You decide.

maybe you meant SOCK? or SACK?
Dec 21, 2012 2:29 PM

Aug 2012
I had high expectations for this. A recap of those ~62 episodes or so, which are freaking Great, with better art,sound, with good battles and stuff.
Well, good way to ruin my expectations. If i didn't know the anime, i wouldn't understand anything about this OVA; action takes place way too fast and we don't get to see any good battle; they even cut the Saito vs Kenshin and the Oniwaban arc, sigh.
May 14, 2013 2:56 PM

Jan 2013
The TV series are alot better than this, for the plain reason that you can understand everything. I will suggest watching this after episode 62 of the TV series.
One thing tough as animated compared to the TV series I can say this was alot nicer.
May 3, 2014 2:45 PM

Jan 2008
MallyMalMal said:
Lolwtf was with that sex scene? Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder how Shishio is even able to still have sex? I figured if his body was lit on fire that that part of him wouldn't even function anymore. XD Apparently he's pretty good in the bedroom regardless lolol.

for me too ! that scene freaked me out and i had the same thoughts XDD
Jun 8, 2014 12:08 AM

Oct 2013
Just finished the Kyoto arc of the main series and thought I'd watch this now before watching the filler...

DISAPPOINTING.

I expected a lot more from an OVA retelling that was intended to be so much more "dramatic." First of all, I watched this dubbed. That's how I watched the main series, that's how I intend to watch this. The change in voice casting for EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER makes the experience so hard to settle into. Kaoru's new cast was all right - I almost like her better than her VA in RK. Kenshin's himself was the same as in Trust & Betrayal, which gives a sense of familiarity and Shanon kinda fits his voice anyway, so that was all right too. Misao's was also okay. But the rest, ESPECIALLY Saitou's and Sano's, pretty much ruin it. I love David Matranga as a voice actor, but hearing him as Chou ruined Chou's entire personality.

Mainly, it's just the entire lack of familiarity in the voice cast that makes it so hard to settle into rather than the actual performances.

I could forgive it if the voice acting was the only problem when that's not really something I have a huge right to complain about - but it's not the only problem. The pacing is ridiculous and unbelievably hard to keep up with. If I hadn't already watched RK, I would've been completely unable to follow what's going on at all. I will confess that some of the new scenes put an interesting spin on it though. In particular, Kenshin telling Misao himself what happened to the Oniwaban was dramatic and how I would've preferred it in RK as well.

The art is also gorgeous in a way I never expected. I ended up having to save a couple screenshots for wallpaper purposes. That is one area where they really outdid themselves. Of course, it's to be expected considering it's so much more modern, but definitely welcome nonetheless.

This isn't entirely without merit indeed and has some good going for it. Really, it's not bad or boring, just disappointing. Looking like a 4/10 unless episode 2 somehow improves on it. I just wish they'd re-dub this with the original voice cast (and the other Rurouni Kenshin specials with it). I might've been able to enjoy it a little more at least. =/ Watching it subbed wouldn't help when I don't have familiarity with the Japanese voice cast.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 6, 2014 8:58 PM

Jan 2014
Very different feel from the original. Not really a fan.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 29, 2016 4:56 PM

May 2012
A lot of the events seem to have been changed, while not hugely they do have an impact in my opinion in the general development of the story and atmosphere.

Some of the characters appearance and ways of acting also changed in this first episode, but for the rest it wasn't a too bad remake. I do prefer the updated art and animations but it did felt like it was missing something compared to the original.

Well let's see what the second episode will have to offer!
May 1, 2017 9:22 AM
Oct 2016
Waste of potential, this could have been the series equivalent to the Rebuild of Evangelion movies but instead it's very rushed and the only good things were a couple of moments in the fights but if you're not familiar with the original or even if you are but don't remember much and want a recap then this is incredibly confusing.
Aug 15, 2017 5:37 AM

Apr 2009
WTF is this.? Waste of budget and time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2017 8:37 PM

Aug 2013
Of all the things I excepted to see in this OVA....a Shishio sex scene was not one of them, but I guess that answers the question of if he still can...if anybody was curious. The art-style used in this is another point of contention for me, it's nice and all but I would've preferred something closer to the anime or the opening to that one PSP game.
Dec 1, 2020 4:11 AM

Nov 2015
linkjoker said:
Of all the things I excepted to see in this OVA....a Shishio sex scene was not one of them, but I guess that answers the question of if he still can...if anybody was curious.

Exactly my thoughts :s i couldn't concentrate in the next scenes, thinking how that would actually worked lmao his skin is all charred and wouldn't be able to feel a thing... xD! she said her vagina was burning ughhh

💢

Jan 17, 2022 10:31 AM

Nov 2010
The animations have been updated, but the fights are so lame. Chou didn't even have his signature swords!

Anyway, Shishio is as badass as ever. I've always been in awe of his beliefs and ideals. However, he's not as smart here. The change of plot doesn't make sense. Shishio killed Usui. That's a major asset gone. It's no wonder he's doomed to die in Rengoku in this alt. story.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Shin Kyoto Hen Episode 2 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 27, 2012

48 by AnthonyLuffy »»
Sep 30, 2023 8:53 AM

» What are the episodes of the arc in the anime?

PikachuAnime1998 - Aug 23, 2018

3 by Puchkov »»
Aug 23, 2018 8:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.