Mar 9, 2012 8:04 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Manga: Subarashii Sekai

MAL Manga Information Page: Subarashii Sekai

MAL Score - 8.42 (by 1056 users)
Ranked - #164
Popularity - #777

Original Spotlight thread: What a Wonderful World

For the next two weeks I would like to have a discussion about the manga that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate a manga: Art, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Art - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Art - discuss any pros and cons of the art styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Character - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to specific characters in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this discussion will develop.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Subarashii Sekai has not been inducted into the manga relations list:
13 Yes - 56.5%
10 No - 43.5%

36 Don't know this manga - 56.2% of the total number polled
3 Abstained - 4.6% of the total number polled

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

RESULTS OF THE RESURRECTION POLL

Subarashii Sekai returns to the manga nomination list:
12 Yes - 63.1%
7 No - 36.8%

29 Don't know this manga - 53.7% of the total number polled
6 Abstained - 9.3% of the total number polled

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

RESULTS OF THE RESURRECTION POLL

Subarashii Sekai has not been inducted into the manga relations list (69%)
- Yes: 11
- No: 5
- I haven't read this manga: 29
~ Abstained: 2
~ Ineligible: 0

Resurrected You Decide results:

Subarashii Sekai (Manga) (20/9/20)
- Yes: 10
- No: 2
- Haven't Read: 35
~ Abstained: 0

- 83.33%
HiroM_Sep 22, 2020 10:21 AM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 10, 2012 4:41 PM
Aug 2010
One volume read so far.

By portraying reality Asano has this recurrent problem: the upsetting lack of resolution. As a result, Subarashii sekai isn't much more than a compilation of issues, with close to no development, leading to two kinds of outcome: either "no resolution, only pathos", or "let's move on". The traditional way to deal somewhat correctly with the latter (which, while being realistic, isn't very satisfying) is to introduce another element in the story which is to bring some happiness to the character without forgetting or handling the past issues, but Subarashii sekai concludes its stories before any of this can happen.

Then, there is another problem I see in Subarashii sekai, the same as in Punpun: by trying to be realistic, Asano ends up exaggerating, depicting every of his characters with a lot more issues than what the average person is supposed to have, and being melodramatic about how "this is what reality really is, and it's awful".

Interesting little characterization, some good punch lines in the dialogs, but kind of plain. I might abstain since I don't really care if it passes. I'll revise my opinion once I read the second volume, but if it's just a bunch of other stories and no continuation of the previous ones, I don't think I'll need to.

Mar 13, 2012 12:53 AM

May 2011
Asano's vignettes are simply wonderful, devoid of cliche or camp. I do not feel that the length or method of conclusion of each chapter is an issue. Given the tone of the stories, I would not have it any other way.

This is certainly a good read. You'll probably find something or the other you can relate to in some way.

lpfManiak said:

Then, there is another problem I see in Subarashii sekai, the same as in Punpun: by trying to be realistic, Asano ends up exaggerating, depicting every of his characters with a lot more issues than what the average person is supposed to have, and being melodramatic about how "this is what reality really is, and it's awful".

The average person might not, but this is by no means exaggerated. There are still plenty of people with such a lot of problems.
If Asano had been portraying average people, it would be a plain slice-of-life manga.
Mar 13, 2012 2:43 AM
Aug 2010
To contextualize my impressions, in Oyasumi Punpun, everyone, each random character has a tragic story; the author's will to make reality look worse than how it actually is stands out much more - and because I've read Subarashii Sekai only two days ago, I couldn't help but feel that flaw here too, which is more forgivable because less blatant, but impossible not to notice when you know Asano's twisted view on life. And the fact that he tried to depict reality from average people is hinted in this manga as well with the awful generalizations made about high schoolers and the characters' stories intersecting at the end, probably among other things.

Regarding the conclusions, it could be argued over, because I tend to ask a lot from what I read and watch without being able to do better, eventually without realizing it asking for very difficult things: I still think actual endings would have been better, but it's true that it's really difficult to find correct ways to end such melodramatic stories without failing, thus making it more reasonable to simply aim lower.

Mar 13, 2012 3:30 AM

Jan 2010
lpfManiak said:

I disagree, I've always thought Asano's biggest strength is how he never really says 'man, life is just awful,' things just happen and that's that. This manga makes it really easy for him to do that, too, since the stories are so short they never feel the need to add more drama than necessary. I've read about half of this manga, and so far its atmosphere and content hasn't been so in your face as Punpun's, which is probably the most melodramatic Asano manga I've read.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Mar 14, 2012 10:13 AM

Jul 2010
lpfManiak said:
Asano's twisted view on life

I'd actually say that, compared to similiar authors and even Asano's other works, What a Wonderful World is quite positive. As Navy Cherub put it, most of the stories have 'shit happens, life goes on' sense, if not a an actual 'happy' ending.

And as it was already said, a lot of the stories aren't about 'average' problems. Some of them are, most being very reminiscent of Solanin, but the rest are a bit more fantastical. But what I really like is that even if the stories are more exciting than those experienced by normal folk, they're still all very relatable. The girl with the man-in-a-bear-suit wants to escape her life by being swept up in something exciting, the girl racing down the ridiculously dangerous hill wants to be accepted, etc.

It's not as down to earth as Solanin, and not as dark as Punpun, but I find that What a Wonderful World is just as relevant as Solanin while being being different enough from it by using the short, somewhat more dramatised vignettes.
Pants are subjective.
Mar 14, 2012 1:48 PM

Oct 2008
Who ever nominated this book, I send a Big Arigatou out to you because this is actually one of the manga that a purchased a while ago that is now sitting in my garage hidden and unread after my last move. Perfect time to dig it out and finally read it. I became very interested in Asano's work after completing Solanin and bought most of his other available works. I'll post my thoughts on this work when I finish reading this. :) But I'm glad to see some positive responses about it.
Mar 19, 2012 8:01 PM

Sep 2009
lpfManiak said:
One volume read so far.

By portraying reality Asano has this recurrent problem: the upsetting lack of resolution. As a result, Subarashii sekai isn't much more than a compilation of issues, with close to no development, leading to two kinds of outcome: either "no resolution, only pathos", or "let's move on". The traditional way to deal somewhat correctly with the latter (which, while being realistic, isn't very satisfying) is to introduce another element in the story which is to bring some happiness to the character without forgetting or handling the past issues, but Subarashii sekai concludes its stories before any of this can happen.
Personally, I think it's the exact opposite. With every Asano story I've read so far, they have all been just ever so slightly away from a yes vote, but the lack of a solid ending stopped them from leaving as much of an impact as they should. However, with Subarashii Sekai,each short is moving into something else... and if anything, it's that exact lack of closure, the "life goes on" feel each of the endings, that give Subarashii Sekai the tip over the edge that Solanin and Nijigahara needed.

A yes vote from me.
Aug 8, 2015 4:07 PM

Oct 2012
“Life is hard, society sucks”. That definitely is Asano Inio trade Mark and he overuses it, but I know that, I’ve seen it a hundred times already and this is my least favorite kind of story, not because it’s bad, but because it’s not interesting, it’s just a repetition of things I already know.
Aug 22, 2015 12:40 PM

Mar 2012
I don't think it's meant to be a series of stories about the "average" human being given how bizarre many of the stories are, just like I don't think Oyasumi Punpun is meant to be about the "average" human being. Only one I can think of by Asano that addresses "average" people is Solanin, most of his other characters are irrevocably fucked up.
It's not an amazing project, but most of the stories here are both funny and poignant and because of their range you're likely to find at least a few stories in here you'll really enjoy. I think Asano is one of the more interesting mangaka working right now, and this collection showcases his character-writing, thematic concerns, gorgeous artwork, and storywriting abilities. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it on its own, but as an introduction to Asano's work it occupies a nice middle ground between the whimsy of Solanin and the extreme ruminations on pathology and alienation of his other stories.
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Aug 30, 2015 7:26 AM

Jul 2014
I have not read this manga
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.