Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 15, 2018 11:53 PM

Jan 2014
well this is a real ugly side to hachi... turning out to be a real ass huh. what is it with this anime and selfish space-loving men lol
Aug 18, 2018 11:28 PM

May 2015
I don't know why people get so mad. I mean if Hachi has the capabilities to carry a big mission like the first travel to Jupiter and that's his dream, then just let him be. It's for people like him that humanity has progressed to this point. There are things that only a few selected people can do even if it means leaving everything behind.
Nov 16, 2018 7:14 AM

Sep 2011
So the Debris Section is saved because of their two big feats, that's nice. But Hachimaki became a total jerk. The theme of throwing everything away for your dream/space has been present for a while now, but damn.

He totally took out his frustration on Cheng-Shin, talking to his friend like that, as far as I know he isn't like that spoiled rich brat from the start, he earned his position, and he is on his right to take things easy, and keep his stability if he has the chance. As he said, they are adults, am I supposed to be impressed with Hachimaki's recklessness, and lack of responsibility and empathy? Cheng-Shin wasn't "shoving friendship" on his throat or something, he was only calling his attention to the fact that he threw everything away to the point of not even saying a proper goodbye to those who care about him. And he even passed the test, because he ignored someone who could've died in the process. But well, Dolf and Locksmith might be able to go far, but I don't see Hachimaki going away for seven years, only if there is a time skip or something, but let's see.
Apr 9, 2019 2:52 PM

Feb 2012
Damn Hachi is an idiot for quitting. I think he could've just applied for leave if he wanted to keep his mind focused on Von Braun training.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 9, 2020 4:30 PM
Jul 2018
Hachimaki finally grew some balls, huh. He's starting to get likable.
Jun 4, 2020 2:41 PM
Jul 2013
Well he's doing the right thing, but he's gone the wrong way about it.
Jun 12, 2020 4:57 PM

Dec 2016
Wow, Hoshino really achieved a new level of unbearableness.
Jul 3, 2020 5:47 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
RIP Hachi x Tanabe, he's going to jupiter now.
Oct 31, 2020 12:43 AM
Feb 2018
wow hachi just forget all of his friend who support him when he was sick
he doesnt care anymore about someone dying
wow just wow
and ppl likes him now, wow i dont get it lol

seinen character like guts (everyone know how badass guts is) sacrifice himself to help casca when she fell to river. its not about being a hero, its just common sense of being human

now hachi thinks he is the special one lol. wow just wow
firstawaOct 31, 2020 1:31 AM
Dec 10, 2020 11:07 AM

Nov 2019
great episode* the things Hoshino said just hit me and it really made for an interesting episode and made me realise why i love seinen
Dec 11, 2020 9:54 AM

Jul 2017
Hachimaki really stomped all over friendship to accomplish his ambition with the Von Braun lol. From leaving the Debris section and not speaking to Ai Tanabe, to not helping out someone who was struggling to survive properly without help during the tests as he's focused on passing his own test first, the guy's facing this headstrong without trying to look back at others and their problems since the slightest thing could make his journey all the way here could crush his dream in an instant. He was kind of an ass but given the gravity of the situation, he had to focus and gamble all-in on his future with it.
Feb 14, 2021 5:58 AM

Aug 2007
I admire Hachimaki's effort to his ambition, but I agree that he doesn't deserve Tanabe. Unless he calls her on the next episode as he promised.
もろともに
哀れと思へ
山桜

花より外に
知る人もなし.

On a mountain slope,
Solitary, uncompanioned,
Stands a cherry tree.

Except for you, lonely friend,
To others I am unknown.

Apr 26, 2021 3:42 PM

Apr 2021
i feel sorry for Tanabe and the rest of the debris crew

and i wonder if hachi ends up happy if he passes the tests
i wish i was a cloud
May 20, 2021 10:58 AM
Mar 2021
Fayrin said:
So the Debris Section is saved because of their two big feats, that's nice. But Hachimaki became a total jerk. The theme of throwing everything away for your dream/space has been present for a while now, but damn.

He totally took out his frustration on Cheng-Shin, talking to his friend like that, as far as I know he isn't like that spoiled rich brat from the start, he earned his position, and he is on his right to take things easy, and keep his stability if he has the chance. As he said, they are adults, am I supposed to be impressed with Hachimaki's recklessness, and lack of responsibility and empathy? Cheng-Shin wasn't "shoving friendship" on his throat or something, he was only calling his attention to the fact that he threw everything away to the point of not even saying a proper goodbye to those who care about him. And he even passed the test, because he ignored someone who could've died in the process. But well, Dolf and Locksmith might be able to go far, but I don't see Hachimaki going away for seven years, only if there is a time skip or something, but let's see.

Completely agree. I think berating Cheng-Shin especially over Tanabe was just a c*nt move. Hachi was the guy who acted like a weasel going behind his friend's back and is angry with Cheng-Shin for forgiving him?

The motivations for his rant continue to escape me.
Dec 18, 2021 3:39 PM

Nov 2016
They got me in the firs half ngl. I mean the empty office. The fight has paid off ^^ Hachi on the other hand is gone for real and he means business. He took making sacrifices to the extreme. I understand him somewhat. If he wants to make into the Von Braun team then there's not much of a choice aside from being egotistical from his point of view. I also understand that he needed to cut of all safety nets in order to perform best. But all this leaves a bad taste. I mean he will eventually come to the realization that taking all these drastic measures was a foolish course of action.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 7, 2022 5:39 AM

Dec 2007
so much hate for hachi in one thread lol.
i'm actually with hachi, he didn't wanted to be in the debris section, he just happened to be there. there's more important things to him.
that being said, his behaviour sure took extreme turn, though it's seems his anger at the end were builded all the episode along.

that water test reminded me space brothers, in other realistic way. lol
Aug 29, 2023 11:36 PM

Mar 2007
Test wise, I agree with the Mission Director - one person's life is not worth the trade off if the entire crew of the Von Braun all die because she couldn't do her job right. Harsh, but that's the correct decision under the circumstances, in Jupiter there would be no do overs.

Hachimaki has always wanted his own ship, that was his dream. Plus, his father basically blew off his mother to go to Jupiter on the Von Braun as its chief engineer. So this kind of love of space, it runs in the family.

Saw an interview with an astronaut where he said the tiny amount of time he got to space walk was the best experience of his life and he would trade all of his remaining life to be able to go out into space again. Some folks, are hooked on it like a drug - Hachi and his dad among them. I can't even blame them, I believe if I had the chance to go to space or had experienced space, I would be in exactly the same boat.

The argument with Cheng was one of those everyone sucks here.

• Hachi is right, Cheng has "rich pilot privilege" and doesn't know what it is like for everyone else who has to struggle. He got to skip initial selection even, so dropping out for him is okay, since he has "the company's paid slots" as a back up plan if he ever wanted to go. That seems like cheating or "legacy" admissions in a way where the rich can "buy" their way in. Unfair.
  • Cheng on the other hand, has never done wrong by Hachi, as a friend. Hachi blowing up at him for the percieved Tanabe stealing, or manipulation or whatever is just bullshit. They did send a care package. People did are about him. But he's so focused on his goal he's decided to be a dick to everyone else. I can't say I like that side of him.

Amazing episode, all things considered.
Mar 26, 6:46 PM

Dec 2022
Hachi flying off the handle as usual. Would be more effective if he wasn't having cliche friendship and romance epiphanies in most of the previous episodes that never amounted to anything or held any relevance to the plot. Maybe Planetes is a sitcom drama in disguise.
Archean-ReturnMar 26, 7:38 PM

Shaded Horizon

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

189 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 22 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

46 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 5:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.